Click to view attachment
rinmaj
QUOTE(sri @ Sep 26 2006, 01:36 PM) *

Many many thanks, Rinki !!

smile.gif
Sri

You're most welcome,Sri.
Raj Nandini
Thank you very much for the songs. Do you've details of the songs?
parag_sankla
Rinki,

At loss of words to express my happiness !

clap2.gif clap2.gif clap2.gif
mahesh
rinkiji,
thanks a ton for all these songs.it would be nice if you can provide some details about these songs[year,md,lyricist].
i believe all these are non-film songs.

regards,
mahesh
bawlachintu
Thanks a lot Rinki
rinmaj
You all are most welcome.

Please check the tags for the complete details of each song.
parag_sankla
Here is an article on bengali songs of Geetaji :

http://www.columbia.edu/~gd18/GeetaDutt.html

Andante and Allegro of Geeta Dutt nee Roy

a tribute by Gautam Dasgupta

I sometimes wonder how much of our interest in the Bengali singers of the fifties and sixties is motivated by nostalgia alone. Though yearning for that long-ago era may play a large part in my mental return to the music of the past, I find myself hard-pressed to name a good song or singer since the golden period of Bengali Adhunik song. Adhunik Gaan, sometimes translated (incorrectly) as `modern song' can be more properly termed `contemporary song.' From a historical standpoint, Bengali Adhunik Gaan held its own against the more flamboyant and highly publicized the Bombay film hits of that period; ironically, many of the more successful music directors in the Bombay arena were themselves Bengali composers.

As the albums pile up in music stores and listeners are overwhelmed by the range of styles and artists on the market, I find it remarkable how many of these ìnewî releases are actually repackaged versions of my golden age favorites. My delight was unbounded when, perusing the offerings at one such place, I came across a collection of the much beloved Geeta Dutt. Rightfully called `the Immortal Geeta Dutt' on one karaoki album, she lives on in one Bengali and four Hindi CDs; I only wish that all of her Bengali songs were available on CD. The style of her song is such that it matters little whether the lyrics are in Bengali or Hindi. I have been told that her songs in Gujrati, Punjabi, and Marathi are equally beautiful.

I first heard Geeta Roy--as she was known then-- in the early fifties. By '53 or '54, I had heard the Puja record of Geeta Dutt singing Kanu Ghosh's compositions: "Ayere ayre chhute " and "Padma kohe." Since then, Geeta Dutt had one hit or the other almost every year. Sudhin Dasgupta, Anal Chatterjee, and Hemanta Mukherjee all wrote a number of melodies for her. In Bombay, Dutt's songs were composed by a number of notable Bengali music directors-- Sachin Dev Burman and Hemanta Mukherjee stand formost in my mind. Her brother, Mukul Roy, wrote very pleasant songs both in Hindi and Bengali. Kanu Roy, wrote some quiet and intense melodies that have been included within her top hit list.

At this point, it seems proper to step back and consider how many singers like Dutt have been lost to the new generation. The current dearth of Bengali radio stations has contributed to the virtual death of Adhunik Gaan. I found a number of Geeta Dutt's Hindi lyrics in the internet but I do not think there is any such archive site for Bengali lyrics. For Kanu Roy's composition of Kaifi Azmi's Aaj ki Kaalighata from Uski Kahani (1966) can be found on the web. I hope that someone will start it soon--perhaps someone old enough to remember golden era of fifties.

Here is a list of CD's I could find related to Geeta Dutt's music: (a) Best of Geeta Dutt, EMI, CD NF1 42050 (unfortunately the discography states wrong dates) --- eighteen Bengali songs; (sunglasses2.gif Geeta Dutt --- The Golden Collection, EMI CDF 131019/20, two CD set forty three songs; © Geeta Dutt -- Duets to Remember, EMI, CDF 1.32159 --- fifteen Hindi duets (d) Hits of Geeta Dutt, singer: Alaka Shankar, T-Series, SVCD 1108, sixteen Hindi songs; (e) Immortal Geeta Dutt, J-Series, JSCDSA 54011, double CD set, --- seventeen songs and karaoke tracks.

An article like this is never complete without some words of appreciation for Geeta Dutt's songs. I will restrict myself to her Bengali numbers and not comment on Hindi, Marathi and Punjabi songs here. For the interested readers to probe deeper into her artistry I will select a few songs from what is readily available in the market. I must confess that it is very difficult for me to write these words with such a heavy heart when her tragic incidents (real life andante) flash in front of my eyes. Surprisingly enough her songs are very upbeat and bright (creates an aura of allegro in me), including her numbers on uncherished love. I credit that to her singing which is always a breath of fresh air. I categorize her Bengali songs in three segments: (a) bright and full of virtuosity; (sunglasses2.gif deep emotional; and © melodic structure in focus.

For the first item I will select Sudhin Dasgupta's "Jhiri Jhiri Choitali Batashe" (ca. 1957). I bet very few Bengali singers would be able to accent the passages even if they try to imitate her. She sounds all through the bridge (Antara) very connected with admirable legato. Of course the accompaniment written by Sudhin Dasgupta is extremely appealing. On the other side of the 78RPM disc (I am not completely sure of it) appeared "Krishnachura Agun Tumi" --- Sudhin Dasgupta's melody and poet Batakrishna Dey's lyric --- which has very similar flavor. Her vocal passages are unique as reflected in "Ogo Amar Moner Chiro Udash Anmona" ca. 1960 (melody of Kanu Ghosh on Shyamal Gupta's words). "Sonay Dheke Anga" ca. 1967, falls in this class. Salil Choudhury's words brings a magic which Geeta Dutt renders with superb quality and Kanu Ghosh's music is exceptionally brilliant as it connects passages. This is very uncommon in Bengali compositions where mostly words in rhyme are assigned to notes in simple meters.

For Getta Dutt's emotional songs one of my favorite selections is "Sachi Mata Go" of ca. 1952 of Mukul Roy's melody predates the Hindi hit of Sailaab (1955). Basudeb wrote beautiful words which sounds very modern as it deals with women's issues dating back four thousand years. Towards the end of her career, ca. 1967, she performs one of her masterpieces, some what waltzy, "Jaak na Muchhe Jaak, melody by Kanu Ghosh on Salil Choudhury's words. These songs are real challenge to Indian singers. She blends her training in Classical Indian music with her imagination and contemporary feelings.

Geeta Dutt's melodic songs are mostly in slow waltz. The foremost is of Sudhirlal Chakraborty's music on Pabitra Mitra's words, "Brindabone Shyam Nai" ca. 1952. She hits the low notes in a superb manner which is rather unheard of from Indian singers. Passages dominated by minor keys are sung with full richness. Later, ca. 1960, Binod Chatterjees music on Pulak Bannerjee's lyric "Hridoy Amar Kichhu Jodi Bole" exposed a darker side of emotion.

Geeta Dutt is a singer of modern songs in the true sense of the word modern. Without Rabindra sangeet, Nazrul Geety, Atul Prasadi, and without much of Salil Choudhury, she has been able to make an everlasting impression. She is truly immortal.
parag_sankla
Hi Rinki

Looking forward to the bengali film songs of Geetaji.

Please upload at your convenience !

Still the memories of "Nishi raat banka chand" are lingering in my mind...

Parag
rinmaj
1."Nishiraat Banka Chand Aakashe"(1957)

Film : "Prithibi Aamare Chaay" ; Lyricist : Pranab Roy ; Composer : Nachiketa Ghosh

Click to view attachment

2."Jhonok Jhonok Konok Kankon Baaje"(1958)

Film : "Indrani" ; Lyricist : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Nachiketa Ghosh

Click to view attachment

3."Ke Daake Aamay"(1961)

Film : "Swaralipi" ; Lyricist : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Hemanta Mukherjee

Click to view attachment

4."Ei Mayabi Tithi"(1959)

Film : "Shonar Horin" ; Lyricist : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Hemanta Mukherjee

Click to view attachment

5. "Tomar Eto Bhalobasha"(1961)

Film : "Modhyorater Tara" ; Lyricist : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Hemanta Mukherjee

Click to view attachment
shaibaal
Thanks, Rinki, for all the uploads.
Much appreciated.
sri
Thanks Rinki !!
clap1.gif clap1.gif

Sri
rinmaj
Shaibaal and Sri,
You are most welcome.

Continuing with the u/l's

6."Ei Shundor Shornali Shondhyay"(1960)

Film : "Hospital" ; Lyrics : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Amal Mukherjee

Click to view attachment

7."Aami Shunechhi Tomari Gaan"(1961)

Film : "Swaralipi" ; Lyrics : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Hemanta Mukherjee

Click to view attachment
parag_sankla
Hi Rinki

Once again many thanks for these great uploads !

Parag
rinmaj
You're most welcome,Parag.

Some more,

8."Tumi Binaa E Phaguno"(1957)

Film : "Prithibi Aamare Chaay" ; Lyricist : Pronab Roy ; Composer : Nachiketa Ghosh

Click to view attachment

9."Kancher Churir Chhotay"(1958)

Film : "Daak Horkora" ; Lyricist : Tarashankar Banerjee ; Composer : Sudhin Dasgupta

Click to view attachment

10."Ogo Shundoro"(1958)

Film : "Indrani" ; Lyricist : Gouriprasanaa Majumdar ; Composer : Nachiketa Ghosh

Click to view attachment
shuklas

Rinki Jee-

Million Thanks.

Shuklas
parag_sankla
Hi Rinki

Once again many thanks for these 3 film songs !

Best Regards
Parag
rinmaj
11."Banshi Bujhi Shei Shure"(1958)

Film : "Shathihara" ; Lyrics : Gouriprasanna Mjaumdar ; Composer : Hemanta Mukherjee

Click to view attachment

12. "Tumi Je Aamar"(1957)

Film : "Harano Shur" ; Lyrics : Gouriprasanna Mjaumdar ; Composer : Hemanta Mukherjee

Click to view attachment

13."Durer Tumi Aaj"(1958)

Film : "Indrani" ; Lyrics : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Nachiketa Ghosh

Click to view attachment

14. :"Neer Chhoto Khoti Nei"(1958) (co-singer : Hemanta Mukherjee)

Film : "Indrani" ; Lyrics : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Nachiketa Ghosh

Click to view attachment

15. "Shudhu Ektukhani Chaoa"(1958) (co-singer : Kishore Kumar)

Film : "Lukochuri" ; Lyrics : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Hemanta Mukherjee

Click to view attachment
rinmaj
16. "Ghum Majhi Oi Haal Dhorechhe"(1960)

Film : "Hospital" ; Lyrics : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Amal Mukherjee

Click to view attachment

17. "Aha Rong Dhorechhe Phoole Phoole"(1958)

Film : "Joutuk" ; Lyrics : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Hemanta Mukherjee

Click to view attachment

18. "Shuray Dube Thakle Pore"(1958)

Film : "Mohakobi Girishchandra" ; Lyrics : Shyamal Gupta ; Composer : Anil Bagchi

Click to view attachment

19. "Aakul Boshonte Aaji"(1958)

Film : "Mohakobi Girishchandra" ; Lyrics : Shyamal Gupta ; Composer : Anil Bagchi

Click to view attachment

20. "Aayna Bosha Churiguli"(1961)

Film : "Shathihara" ; Lyrics : Gouriprasanna Majumdar ; Composer : Hemanta Mukherjee

Click to view attachment
parag_sankla
Hi Rinki

Once again many thanks for these great uploads. Its like a great Deewali gift from you to all the Geetaji fans.

Wishing you and your family members happy deepawali !

Best Regards
Parag
parag_sankla
Hi Rinki, taking liberty of thanking you one more time for these sweet Bengali songs of Geetaji. I usually refrain from discussing my love for old songs with my colleagues. Last week I found a colleague from Orisa who had some interest in old songs. After hearing some songs from my collection he seem to be pleased. So I made him to listen to "Nishi raat baanka chand". Since he knew the language, he was able to understand the meaning too.

To say that he was mesmerized to listen to this song would be an understatement. He copied all the bengali songs to his PC.

Once again thanks for these melodies.

Best Regards
Parag
parag_sankla
Hi all, found information on this 2 CD pack of bengali songs of Geetaji's songs on hamaracd

Solid Gold Geeta Dutt

Solid Gold A Treasure Trove of Master Pieces Geeta Dutt. This is a very Special premium pack.

Is it woth buying ? I am not sure if I can get it in Hyderabad in any shop, so I might have to buy it online

Please let me know

Thanks
Parag
parag_sankla
Update on this Solid Gold collection (2 CD pack). I have bought this online and hopefully it should be delivered soon here.

I will compare these songs with the ones uploaded by Rinki. Then I will upload additional songs from this CD set.

Cheers
Parag
sri
QUOTE(rinmaj @ Sep 26 2006, 11:12 PM) *

13."Jhiri Jhiri Choitali Batashe"

14."Janite Cheyechho Tumi"

15."Maatir Bhubone Jodi"

16."Akashjure Shopnomaya"

17."Ei To Holo Porichoy"

18."Bhulite Je Parina"

I seem to have missed these songs somehow - could someone re-upload them please ?
Thanks !!

Rinki - many many thanks for all these Geeta songs

Sri
parag_sankla
Jhiri Jhiri Choitali Batashe
parag_sankla
Janite Cheyechho Tumi
parag_sankla
Maatir Bhubone Jodi
parag_sankla
Akashjure Shopnomaya
parag_sankla
Ei To Holo Porichoy
parag_sankla
Bhulite Je Parina
parag_sankla
Sri, this completes upload of the songs you requested.

Cheers
Parag
sri
Thanks a lot, Parag for helping out... !!

Sri
parag_sankla
Any time Sri..you are most welcome !

Just wondering do you understand Bengali ?

Parag
parag_sankla
QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Oct 29 2006, 08:50 PM) *

Hi all, found information on this 2 CD pack of bengali songs of Geetaji's songs on hamaracd

Solid Gold Geeta Dutt

Solid Gold A Treasure Trove of Master Pieces Geeta Dutt. This is a very Special premium pack.

Is it woth buying ? I am not sure if I can get it in Hyderabad in any shop, so I might have to buy it online

Please let me know

Thanks
Parag

Well, finally after a lot of logistics problems and follow-ups I have got this CD delivered to my relative's place in Bangalore. Should be getting hands on it by this weekend. I will be uploading these songs. Will also try to scan the pages of the booklet alongwith this 2 CD pack

Cheers
Parag
parag_sankla
I have finally got the 2 CD set with me. The songs have been ripped to 128 KBPS/mp3 format and are ready to be uploaded.

Unfortunately the internet connection at home is down for last few days (and I can not upload the songs from the office for obvious reasons..)

Waiting for Sify to rectify the internet issue..

Parag

P.S. The booklet contains some ancedotes and lyrics of all the songs. Since it is in Bengali script, we will need help from some one who can read the script to get to know the ancedotes !

parag_sankla
Ok Geetaji fans, here are the songs from the first CD

All songs are in 160 KBPS/mp3 format

1) Ektu Chaoya Aar ektu Paoya (Time 03:24 min)

Lyric: Amitabha Naha

Music: Sudhin Dasgupta
parag_sankla
2) Akash Jure Swapanmaya (Time 03:17 min)

Lyric: Anal Chattopadhyay

Music: Kanu Ghosh
sbfan
nice uploads parag agar koi punjabi song hai do share.
parag_sankla
3) Oi Sur Bhara Dur Nilimay ( Time 03:18 min)

Lyric: Anal Chattopadhyay

parag_sankla
QUOTE(sbfan @ Jan 10 2007, 11:09 AM) *

nice uploads parag agar koi punjabi song hai do share.

Dear SBFan, thanks for your words of appreciation.

I would be more than happy to do so. In this thread I am uploading Bengali songs from this 2 CD pack. I will surely check and upload if I find any Punjabi songs in the appropriate thread.

Cheers
Parag
parag_sankla
4) Ogo Amar Moner Chira Udas (Time 03:16 min)

Lyric: Shyamal Gupta

parag_sankla
5) Hriday Amar Kichhu Jadi Bale (Time 03:20 min)

Lyric: Pulok Bandopadhyay

Music: Binod Chattopadhyay
parag_sankla
6) Krishnachura Agun Tumi (Time 02:54 min)

Lyric: Batakrishna Dey

parag_sankla
7) Katha Achhe Tumi Aaj Asbe (Time 03:18 min)

Lyric: Shayamal Gupta

parag_sankla
8) Ekhono Dustar Lajja (Time 02:17 min)

Lyric: Sunil Biswas

Music: Mukul Roy
parag_sankla
9) Kato Gaan Haralam (Time 03:06 min)

Lyric: Pranob Ghosh

Music: Anol Chattopadhyay
parag_sankla
10) Kajol Kajol Kumkum (Time 03:13 min)

Lyric: Miltoo Ghosh

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.