Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bujha do deepak...
Hamara Forums > Legends > Kishore Kumar
kishorefan
Friends:

Depicting a funny incident here. Last weekend I was away (upstate NY) at an old college-buddy's house. Sunday morning him and I went out to do some (Indian) grocery shopping at this Sardarji's store. While he was picking up stuff from his shopping list, I was walking around the store casually comparing the prices (to that of the Indian stores in Philly).

At first I didn't notice that the store TV was on for it was kept at a rather low volume. To cut a long story short, my friend had asked my pick up a couple of gobis. I picked two up, and as I turned my back to go to the next aisle (where my friend was), the TV volume went berserk, with Guru singing "Bujha do deepak". Didn't realize Darpan was being shown on Zee Gold. The sudden gust of fresh air (Guru's voice, I mean) with the increased volume gave me a jolt. So, the gobis came down on the floor from my hand, and as I was stooping down to pick them up, another gentleman also was kneeling down to help me, and in midway our heads banged so hard that next thing I knew I was laying on the floor, on my back. The store owner came running, so did everyone else and last my friend. The crowd thought both of us had heart attacks. Oh My God!!! How embarrassing. It turned out that the Sardarji was a Kishore fanatic, and having heard that song after a long while, he turned up the volume at once. On the other hand, I have the song but never saw it picturized.

Coming back to the song, amongst all that crazy incidents, I only caught a glimpse of Sunil Dutt in a serenade-mood with Waheeda. But it appeared to me that Dutt sahab didn't put NEARLY as much expression lipping the song as Kishoreda did singing it. Listen to the repeat part of ".......savera kar do". The way Guru enunciates the word "savera", by breaking the syllables, just phenomenal. Also, I don't think Guru's voice fit over Dutt sahab properly, perhaps because we are not used to hear him lipping full-throated Kishoreda's numbers, huh? What's your opinion on this? Sorry for the long post, had to share this with you folks.

Regards,
Kishorefan
kcp
Wow !!!! that is some experience !!!!

Long live that Sardar smile.gif
satyathakkar
Reminds me of some of my falling incidences when I was back in India, with every scene of Kishoredaa, someone from my family might call me, I would go running and ruining all thats on the way.., lol. Its always been fun...! Since a long time I havent tripped for Guru....sad.gif

Jai Gurudev!
mr_vampire
That was a good one Asim Da. Hope you dont have a bump on your head. BTW, I had a somewhat similar experience which I mentioned in BBM yahoo long back. The guys in the hair cutting parlour were playing karvatein badalte rahe on a scorching Calcutta summer.

The AC made me relax and I just went into the song. When I came back to my senses, the JB barber had spoilt the cut of my hair. Sheesh, he made it exceptionally short and they were standing up like porcupine quills.

Regards
Vampy
Nimii
Dont get angry Vampy bhai sad.gif

We need to put our efforts together and write and discuss stuff that would interest all.

We should remember to avoid controversial issues too sad.gif

What say?

N ph34r.gif
archimoz
Dear Asim,

I have never seen 'Darpan'. The song 'bujha do deepak' is beautiful. Though you must be right, however, I'm surprised that Sunil Dutt did not do justice to the lipping. Generally he was very competent. I had loved the way he had rendered 'tera jaat kya hain' from 'Zindagi Zindagi'. Also, in Padosan, his lipping actually made you feel that there was a singer in the background (in the movie-situation, that is) who was actually doing the singing.

Non-Guru: His lipping for 'chalo ek baar ajnabi ban jaaye hum dono', 'jalte hain jiske liye' & 'aansoo samajh ke kyon mujhe' (from 'Chhaya') are pretty good.

Entirely my opinions.

Regards-Archie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.