Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pathanay Khan
Hamara Forums > Music > Ghazals, Nazms and Geet
extenok
Not many of my generation would know who this singer was, let alone, hum anything by him. Sufi music while being serviced by the qawwali and kafi has benefited greatly in the latter form through Pathanay Khan.

I sometimes foolishly wonder why can't everybody enjoy old classics sung by him and others of his age, who's works are truly treasure troves waiting to be found. I am immediately reminded of the fact that if this really did become so common place, then it would lose its ornate nature and probably someone would come out with a remix of "Meda Ishq Vi Tuu". Not that the butchering that has been meted out to this and other classics has been any less revolting than a remix. Yet, I take comfort in knowing that the pristine pleasures of Pathanay Khan are preserved for posterity, at least, till I and others who cherish works like these are alive.

I'm including a sample of 'Meda Ranjhan' here. Hope you can find bliss & sorrow or even deeper meaning in life with his songs at Muziq.net

Check These:
A Tribute To Pathanay Khan
The Flower of Rohi
Dawn: 9th March 2002- Pathanay Khan Passes Away

Inaam
A Great singer indeed. Can you upload 'Meda Ishq vi toon..'?
extenok
QUOTE (Inaam_Nadeem @ Jul 5 2004, 11:55 AM)
A Great singer indeed. Can you upload 'Meda Ishq vi toon..'?

What's the use? No one is going to listen to it. sad.gif
Besides, understanding it is difficult for most people.

Pakistan Television (PTV) probably has the most treasured performances of a number of these classic singers mentioned under the Pakistani Sangeet forum. Hope there was some way I could get the audio for those. Its either this, or looking up those old EMI recordings.

Any info on the lyrics for these Pathana Khan tracks, Inaam sahib?

Ok, just cuz you asked, here's the song. wink.gif
Enjoy 16 minutes & 57 seconds of listening pleasure at 32kbps & 16khz.
Wehshee
no use extenok.

i have tried numerous times to speak with ptv and radio pakistan. (and some people who worked there) while i was in university to find a way into their music archives.

they have such rare classics collecting dust that would be a fortune to appreciators of classical and devotional music.

they say they have no policy for selling (or making copies or giving contracts to any company to make copies) of their archives.

so as u and i speak, millions and millions of priceless recordings from some of the greatest vocalists and musicians lay in their un appreciable hands... waiting to rot and turn into un revivable junk sad1.gif sad1.gif
Pradeep
Murakh Ko Tum Raaj Dilath Ho
Pandit Phirath Bhikaari
Santo Karam Ki Gati Nyaari
Santo
extenok
Wehshee,

For the time being, in order to spark some interest in the people who do have the Pathanay Khan records or would like to understand them. Would you happen to have the lyrics/original poetry and hopefully Urdu/english translations.

I'm not sure about others, but I would immensely appreciate understanding all of what is said. Because, right now I can understand the gist of the sentences. But the words are complex. And is it Saraiki or Punjabi? Because my punjabi-speaking friends cannot translate it for me. Citing the difference of words because of region/accent, whatever that means.
Wehshee
well actually to be honest, transalting these numbers by pathane khan isn't going to be easy for the average punjabi listener. (or even saraiki for that matter)

most of the things he has sung come from "soofiana klaam" and the sufi poets often use relevence and metaphores that can only be best understood by reading that particular poet.

e.g (i have only been able to read bhulley shah, and that too a few poems) doli is janaza, sajan or dholan or the loved one is God, and "kuri" the girl is man himself.

junoon's song "chal kuriye" is a clear example (and probably the most understandable too)

what we could do is maybe find a site that has listed sufiana klaam and maybe try and figure out the words and their meanings as to how they fit into place.

"meda ishq wi toon, meda yaar wi toon" is almost all understandable (and makes sense too)

what i said for the archives is still true for so many other great great singers you and i haven't even heard about...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.