Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Asha Bhosle - Guru Bandana
Hamara Forums > Legends > Asha Bhonsle
Marcilo
Not sure if this has been uploaded here earlier.. here is "Asha Bhosle - Guru Bandana" in CDQ

Composed by - Ali Akbar Khan
Priya
Thyanks Marcilo. Is the cd available in the US? Aapko kahan se mila? I only managed to find the cassette here. sad1.gif

But Cheetz had uled these tracks from cd long long long back when she used to spend time with us. sad1.gif

If U got the cd recently please do tell me where I can find it. Thanks.
deewani
If I'm not mistaken this is from the Legacy album - you can search it on Amazon. I used to own this CD, have only since replaced the Journey CD, not this one.
Priya
Journey cd??? As in Safar? I never bought that as I had all the songs--trust HMV to have nothing for us old pros. cry.gif

Amazon mein milega. Lemme check. Thanks.
deewani
QUOTE(priya @ Jan 31 2006, 02:44 AM) *
Journey cd??? As in Safar? I never bought that as I had all the songs--trust HMV to have nothing for us old pros. cry.gif

Amazon mein milega. Lemme check. Thanks.

If it's the US release I'm thinking of, then yes, lekin HMV ka label nahin hai. Anyways, I will be picking it up at some point, it's on my list, lol. Most of the American stores (not Indian stores) carry it here. Just search "legacy" and "ali akbar khan" there, wahin aap ko track list mil jayega.
Priya
Nearly 700 rupees for a single cd????? shocked.gif headbang.gif
Nimii
Priyz.. kharid re.. me will pay for it!!!!!!!!!!! Dont drop dead re mad.gif

Main hoon na!!!!!!!!!! blush.gif

N smile.gif
Priya
U hit the jackpot????? shocked.gif ohmy.gif
Nimii
No I learnt how to do home management wink2.gif kabhi idar kabhi udar biggrin.gif

N rollf.gif
Marcilo
QUOTE(priya @ Jan 31 2006, 05:27 AM) *

Thyanks Marcilo. Is the cd available in the US? Aapko kahan se mila? I only managed to find the cassette here. sad1.gif

But Cheetz had uled these tracks from cd long long long back when she used to spend time with us. sad1.gif

If U got the cd recently please do tell me where I can find it. Thanks.

I had bought this long ago for a friend, he wanted to listen to some Indian music. Last time when I as with him I borrowed it from him, to yeh gana us CD se aaya hai… CD is called "Guide to music of India and Pakistan", I think I have put that in tag. It is not HMV, If my memory serves me right I had bought this from borders, they have good collection of music. Since this CD had all classical number I ripped only 2 songs. One was this and other was of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

Are CD ka kaya karma hai.. yeh gana direct CDQ me hai na…
wink.gif
Priya
Idhar udhar karne ke liye bhi kuch chaiye na!!! rollf.gif
Nimii
Haina monthly monthly milta hai wink2.gif

N laugh.gif
Priya
Marciloji

There is an entire album called Legacy from which this song is taken. I was enquiring about the complete album. Thanks for the info on Ur cd. smile1.gif
deewani
Yes Marcilo is talking about the Rough Guide series - it an ever growing series of CDs seen in the world section of American music/book stores. They do Rough Guide Books to countries for travel purposes, and now have a music line as well. As you've probably figured out they are compilations of songs from other albums to give the uninitiated a wide spectrum look into the country's music. There is even a Rough Guide to Asha Bhosle now. You can search that info at Amazon too they have all the Rough Guide series and tracks.

On the other hand Legacy is on Ali Akbar Khan's own label, AMMP Records based out of the US (not far from where I live) which is probably the reason for its exorbitant price in India. Perhaps it has been released there under a different name, that often happens. The distributor for this label in India is Music Today and they are selling for 250 rupees on their website. Let me know if you need the link, I wasn't sure if it was appropriate for me to post it here.
Priya
The audio cassette released in India under the label of Music India was Rs 75. Dunno if cds were released. cry.gif
jairaj
This is what I found on google. .
Tracks

Title Composer Time

1 Guru Bandana (Prayer) Khan 5:33
2 Hori in Kukubh Bilawal 6:25
3 Tarana in Adana 2:23
4 Tarana in Bhimpalasri 8:21
5 Kheyal in Gour Sarang 7:17
6 Dhrupad in Sankara Bharan 10:48
7 Sadra in Sankara Karan 6:45
8 Tarana in Mian Ki Malhar 5:00
9 Tarana in Bhimpalasri 7:12
10 Tarana in Bhupali 3:58
11 Hori in Bhairavi 7:21
12 Prayer in Bhairavi 2:56

Biography by Craig Harris
The son of influential Hindustani musician Allaudin Khan, Ali Akbar Khan is one of the Eastern world's greatest musicians. A master of the sarod, a 25-stringed, lute-like, Indian instrument, Khan has brought the Northern Indian classical music to the international stage. A five-time Grammy nominee, Khan was called, by Yehudi Menuhin, "an absolute genius, the greatest musician in the world." Tracing his ancestral roots to Mian Tansen, a 16th century musician in the court of Emperor Akbar, Khan began studying music at the age of three. Initially studying vocal music with his father, he studied drums with his uncle, Fakir Aftabuddin. Although he tried playing a wide variety of instruments, he felt most comfortable on the sarod. Training and practicing 18 hours a day, he slowly mastered the instrument. In 1936, he made his public debut during a concert in Allahabad. In the early '40s, Khan became a court musician for the Maharaja of Judhpur. He soon acquired the title "Ustad" (master musician).

In 1955, Khan accepted an invitation from Menuhin to perform in the United States. In addition to performing at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, he recorded the first Western album of Indian classical music and became the first Indian music on an American television when he appeared on Alistair Cooke's Omnibus. In 1971, Khan performed with his brother-in-law, Ravi Shankar, during George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh at Madison Square Garden. Khan received numerous awards including the President of India Award in 1963, the Padma Vibhusan in 1988, the Bill Graham Lifetime Achievement award in 1993, and the Asian Paints Shiromani Hall of Fame Award in 1997. He received the Kalidas Sanman from the Madya Pradesh Academy of Music And Fine Arts and became the first Indian musician to be awarded a MacArthur Foundation "Genius Grant" in 1991. Khan received a National Heritage Fellowship from the National Endowment of the Arts in 1997.

In 1956, Khan founded the Ali Akbar Khan College of Music in Calcutta. Teaching in the United States since 1965, he opened the Ali Akbar College of Music in Berkeley, CA, two years later. In 1968, the school moved to its present site in San Rafael. Khan teaches six classes a week for nine months a year. In the early '90s, the school opened branches in Fremont, CA, and Basel, Switzerland. The lengthy list of films featuring Khan's music includes Chetan Anand's Aandhiyan, Satyajit Ray's Devi, and Bernardo Bertolucci's Little Buddha. He received a Best Musician of the Year award for his soundtrack for the film Khudita Pashan.
Marcilo
QUOTE(deewani @ Feb 1 2006, 01:48 AM) *

Yes Marcilo is talking about the Rough Guide series - it an ever growing series of CDs seen in the world section of American music/book stores. They do Rough Guide Books to countries for travel purposes, and now have a music line as well. As you've probably figured out they are compilations of songs from other albums to give the uninitiated a wide spectrum look into the country's music. There is even a Rough Guide to Asha Bhosle now. You can search that info at Amazon too they have all the Rough Guide series and tracks.

On the other hand Legacy is on Ali Akbar Khan's own label, AMMP Records based out of the US (not far from where I live) which is probably the reason for its exorbitant price in India. Perhaps it has been released there under a different name, that often happens. The distributor for this label in India is Music Today and they are selling for 250 rupees on their website. Let me know if you need the link, I wasn't sure if it was appropriate for me to post it here.

App ne Sahi Farmaya Deewani ji.. it is indeed Rough Guide series and that was the only song of AB in that CD.

So this was picked up from CD by Ali Akbar Khan which has all AB numbers? That will be interesting
deewani
Yes, exactly! I had the CD but I gave it to someone and have not yet replaced it. The other Ali Akbar Khan CD I was referring to is called Journey - no Ashaji in that one - lovely lovely music for anytime, very peaceful. Sound production quality is excellent on both of those.
Prabhakar
I have the CD - Akbar Ali Khan presents Legacy - 16th to 18th century music from India.

Th CD was released in 1996 according the label .

If I am not violating the rules of the forum or any laws, I will be more than glad to upload the entire album. Else, I will be glad to share the album on one-on-one basis with anyone who wants it via email.

Prabhakar

QUOTE(deewani @ Feb 2 2006, 03:57 AM) *

Yes, exactly! I had the CD but I gave it to someone and have not yet replaced it. The other Ali Akbar Khan CD I was referring to is called Journey - no Ashaji in that one - lovely lovely music for anytime, very peaceful. Sound production quality is excellent on both of those.

kcp
If anybody still wants the complete album upload, please tell me offline ( I am hooked nowadays CONTINUOUSLY to Ali Akbar Khan saab's various albums )....

Details of the album in question, are as follows :
Ali Akbar Khan
Presents
LEGACY
16th - 18th Century Music From India
Asha Bhosle - Vocal Ali Akbar Khan - Sarod
Swapan Chaudhuri - Tabla & Pakhwaj
1) Guru Bandana (Prayer) in Desh Malhar 5.33
2) Hori in Kukubh Bilawal 6.25
3) Tarana in Adana 2.23
4) Tarana in Bhimpalasri 8.21
5) Kheyal in Gour Sarang 7.17
6) Dhrupad in Sankara Bharan 10.48
7) Sadra in Sankara Karan 6.45
8)Tarana in Mian Ki Malhar (bidar style) 5.00
9) Tarana in Bhimpalasri (sat sangat style ) 7.12
10) Tarana in Bhupali 3.58
11) Hori in Bhairavi 7.21
12) Prayer in Bhairavi 2.56

Sarangi : Ramesh Misra
Cello : Dan Reiter
Sitar : James Pomerantz
Harmonium : Rajan Parrikar (!!)
Tanpura : Kalpana Banerjee
Tanpura : Alam Khan

This recording has been produced for the Ali Akbar Khan Foundation. The proceeds will go directly to the Baba Allauddin Institute for the purpose of archiving the legacy of this great linage of music. Thanks to all of you who help us in this endeavor

Ali Akbar Khan Foundation
74 Broadmoor Ave, San Anselmo, CA 94960
Phone&Fax 415 456-5963
email : foundation@ammp.com (Alam Madina Music Productions)

CD No : 4444 77216-2
Triloka Records - Worldly Music
Year Of Production : 1995
Manufactured and Marketed by : Mercury Records, Inc
Distributed by : I.L.S 825 8th Ave, New York, NY

deewani
I have since re-purchased it. A pic from inside the booklet.
IPB Image
Nimii
Kb! Me wants plz! rolleyes.gif

Deewz ohmy.gif thanks! Lovely pic! For a moment I thought u had posted a chota pic rollf.gif but then I remembered you link it outside biggrin.gif
Priya
Thanks, Deewz!!! jump.gif
I did think it was a small pic till I read Nimii's mssg. doh.gif
deewani
No problem, I'll try and remember next time if I post a thumbnail to tell folks to click through. Here is a picture of Khan's family tree from the CD in case anyone was interested - talk about a Legacy!
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.