Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ricky Ponting: Unsung Hero
Hamara Forums > General > Sports > Cricket
tracknest
IMO Steve Waugh was the most conistent player i have ever come across in test cricket and a player that thrived under pressure. Whereas players like Lara, Tendulkar and Mark Waugh have taken all the lime light in the last deacade and deservedly so, its players like Steve Waugh and now Ponting who should recive equal amonut of appreciation if not more.

Ponting, probably the quickest player to complete hundered test matches and with what a grand style, 2 hundreds and making the Aus team win a match they should have not. With an average of over 55 and amazing consistency he is definitely a player of the elite classs and if he continues to play with this flair then many records will tumble.

The only thing that goes against Steve and Ponting is that they did not have to face their own attack and fielding and thats where Lara and Tendulkar have done exceptionlly well, scored well against the Aussies.

However that still does not take anything away from Ponting and Waugh, 2 world class players and legends of the game.
princeali
Ponting is nearing Tendulkar's record of Test centuries, what a fantastic player, he has over 8000 runs at an average of about 58, truly a class batsman.

I also feel Dravid does not get the same recognition as Tendulkar or other Indian greats, he is the backbone of the Indian batting lineup and truly a match-winner, India's most valuable batsman.

The thing that goes against Inzi is his average record against Australia, but he is along with Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Waugh, and Kallis one of the greats of the modern era.
LEGENDRAFI
Well, for my money Ponting's the best batsman in the World right now and I don't say it merely on the basis of his consitent performances but also his style of batsmanship. His aggresiveness as a batsman is what makes him so good. He can play spin and pace equally well and most importantly he is very quick on his feet and therefore a very good player against the shot ball.

I think Inzi is also a great player but then it is his running which always puts him under the scanner and would perhaps never allow him to be counted against the best of the best. Players like Sachin, Ponting, Lara are all very good runners as well and that is something that makes them complete players. Rahul Dravid is also greatness personified but perhaps it's the entertainment quotient that always ensures that he is overshadowed by the likes of the big stroke players.

All in all you can't question the greatness of any of these players, you take them out of their sides and their teams would not be the same and that's the real quality of greatness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.