Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manna Da Speaks....
Hamara Forums > Legends > Kishore Kumar
kcp
Fun with Kishore

I asked Manna about that popular duet, “Ek Chatur naar karke Shringar,” with Kishore Kumar. (Padosan) “We rehearsed that song for five-six days with Sunil Dutt, Mehmood, and Pancham (Rahul Dev Burman). Every sitting lasted five to six hours. And finally we went for the recording. It was an event that started off at nine in the morning and finished at nine in the night! Wah, what songs. It was great!” He leaned forward as the old memories came flooding back.

“I still remember that day. The staff, who usually left the studio at about 6 pm, would not leave! They were all glued to the recording theatre. And while the song was being recorded, they were all dancing and laughing. We knew when we were recording that the song would be a hit. And the way we both sang that song! I don’t think the like of that will ever be born again.”

And what did he think of Kishore as a singer? “Kishore was a great, jovial and a very lively sort of person. He had the gift of a voice, and what a voice! We hadn’t had that kind of voice in our industry. Kishore made full use of that voice. And his playfulness! He made a style of his own with all that tomfoolery, which was grabbed by the younger folks. Kishore came to the forefront and he remained there.”

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/d...32342005129.asp
deep750
great KCP-bhai. first i thaught that YOU had met Manna Dey, but then i saw the link to deccanherald smile1.gif
edward_236
Nice post, KCP. I think Manna Dey mentioned this during a 'Walk The Talk' shown on NDTV some 6-7 months ago. The reason that Kishore, Rafi, Manna Dey and Mukesh are really great is because they always had a great respect for each other, regardless of the up's and down's in their careers.

Manna Dey is perhaps one of the most talented, yet unfortunate, singers, who has not shown any bitterness towards any singer. Like Hemant Kumar, he was always overshadowed by Rafi, Kishore and Mukesh. Though he was never at the top, he certainly has had some good songs. I heard him in concert Dubai's Sheikh Rashid Auditorium 10 years ago and was amazed that he had retained the same vocal mastery, with age hardly showing any sign of affecting his voice.

Though Manna Dey has sung some really beautiful numbers for Raj Kapoor and Rajesh Khanna, unfortunately, his voice got stuck as the voice of Mehmood, courtesy "Ek Chatur Naar" (Padosa) and "Mein Tere Pyaar Mein Kya Kya Na Bana" (Ziddi).

I know I shouldn't be posting it on this forum, but nevertheless, my favorite MD songs are:-

a- Aayo Kahan Se Ghansham
b- Poocho Na Kaise
c- Upar Gagan Vishaal
d- Zindagi Kaisi Hai Paheli
e- Hasne Ki Chaah Ne
f- Chalat Musafir
g- Aye Meri Zohra Zabeen
h- Jahan Main Jaati Hoon - Chori Chori
i- Sur Na Saje
j- Kaun Aaya Mere Man Ke Dware
k- Laaga Chunri Mein Daag
l - Tum Besahara Ho To - Anurodh
m-Tu Pyaar Ka Saagar Hai
n- Tere Naina Talaash Karke - Talaash
o- Kasme Waade Pyaar Wafa Sab Baatein Hain
p- Yaari Hai Imaan Mera
q- Dil Ka Haal Sune Dilwala.
r- Masti Bhara Hai Sama - Parvarish.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.