Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sanskrit Lessons Anyone ?
Hamara Forums > General > Lingo Hamara > Regional Languages
Pages: 1, 2
bibhas
I would like to dust the cobwebs and try to remember what little I learnt in school. Is anyone willing to teach Sanskrit here ? Hits, Mandrake, anyone else ?
Bawra Jay
Hi I have collected lots of material on self teaching... I would love to have a real GURU to teach me as guru bin gyan kahan se paau sad1.gif ... I mean in term of pronounciation, some difficult word translation, etc. etc.. It helps to learn from someone...

BTW , let me know I can share those files , links , etc if you wanna have a look at it...

bibhas
QUOTE(Bawra Jay @ Aug 25 2005, 01:10 PM)

BTW , let me know I can share those files , links , etc if you wanna have a look at it...

Neki aur pooch pooch BJ ? Please send them my way.

Bawra Jay
QUOTE(bibhas @ Aug 25 2005, 01:39 PM)

bibhas
QUOTE(Bawra Jay @ Aug 25 2005, 01:45 PM)

Thanks BJ. Can you send me the link as well ?

I have an 800 pg Sanskrit dictionary as a pdf file. Let me know if you're interested.
Talaikya
I know no sanskrit - can I learn too?? smile1.gif
Bawra Jay
QUOTE(bibhas @ Aug 25 2005, 01:55 PM)

I have an 800 pg Sanskrit dictionary as a pdf file. Let me know if you're interested.

Link tau mujhe yaad nahi yaar... bahoot pehle archive kar liya tha... meri adaat hain jo achha lagta hain ...seedha dil mein... i mean harddisk mein uttar deta hoon tongue.gif .... But most of my files names are relevant to link names... do a google using the file name... see you might end up getting the link in result if its not already out of business tongue.gif ...

Yes do please send me the dictionary....
Lata
me too...Nimii knows sanskrit na wink2.gif
Bawra Jay
For anything new.... whatever it maybe..... requires lots of dedication and patience... which I dont see nowadays...... they lose interest in it after a day or two... anyways coming to the topic...... anyone can learn anything....

bibhas
Here's the dictionary, quite a good one I might add.
Bawra Jay
QUOTE(bibhas @ Aug 25 2005, 01:55 PM)

Found it... http://acharya.iitm.ac.in/sanskrit/tutor.html

Also I have bought few books from Natraj... the guy is slow but almost delivers what you have ordered... I even met him personally during India Heritage.... Here is the link for that ---> https://www.natarajbooks.com/main.aspx

We have talked about this site earlier in Sholkas thread.. just in case if u have missed it... http://sanskrit.gde.to/learning_tools/learning_tools.html
shivani
BJ a request.. Instead of "raring" the files.. can you please zip them??
Bawra Jay
QUOTE(shivani @ Aug 25 2005, 02:08 PM)
BJ a request.. Instead of "raring" the files.. can you please zip them??

Jo Hukum mere Akka bow.gif ....

shivani
rabba!!
aaj itti saari meherbani kaise unsure.gif
what do I owe this favour to !!!
Lata
Shivani....BJ tujhe akka bula raha hai....akka= elder sister in Tamil laugh.gif
shivani
QUOTE(Lata @ Aug 25 2005, 11:56 PM)
Shivani....BJ tujhe akka bula raha hai....akka= elder sister in Tamil laugh.gif

wo to theek lata.. still
I expect a good fight frm him !!!
am slipping into a state of deep shock
Lata
u r right....tum donon ka Tom and Jerry show dekhne ko ahchha lagta hai tongue.gif .....BJ......itti jaldi haar maan gaya tu tongue.gif
shivani
heh.. chalo maan gaya to good
(seems his wife/gf was happy with him today.. so he is nice to rest of the world biggrin.gif)
mera to kaam ban gaya na
Bawra Jay
QUOTE(Lata @ Aug 25 2005, 02:34 PM)
u r right....tum donon ka Tom and Jerry show dekhne ko ahchha lagta hai tongue.gif .....BJ......itti jaldi haar maan gaya tu tongue.gif

Arent you busy today huh.gif ........

Haar ???? Tum tau chup hi raho cry.gif ..... My mood is not good right now cry.gif ......

Karte rahe hum faza se sauda bahar ka.....
Badla diya tau yeh kya diya....... mere pyar kaa cry.gif ......
Sabkuch luta ke hosh mein aaye tau kya kiya......
shivani
QUOTE(Bawra Jay @ Aug 26 2005, 12:15 AM)
QUOTE(Lata @ Aug 25 2005, 02:34 PM)

Arent you busy today huh.gif ........

Haar ???? Tum tau chup hi raho cry.gif ..... My mood is not good right now cry.gif ......

Karte rahe hum faza se sauda bahar ka.....
Badla diya tau yeh kya diya....... mere pyar kaa cry.gif ......
Sabkuch luta ke hosh mein aaye tau kya kiya......

now thats more like the BJ I know *grinz*
u r such a sweetheart .. u know :-)
Bawra Jay
QUOTE(shivani @ Aug 25 2005, 02:40 PM)
heh.. chalo maan gaya to good
(seems his wife/gf was happy with him today.. so he is nice to rest of the world biggrin.gif)
mera to kaam ban gaya na

Mujhe kyu selfishness ki boooooo aa rahi hai... koi tumse achha tau tum sabse achhe.... warna duniya gayi teil lene... lagta hain mein bhi jaldi hi seekh jaunga to read between the lines tongue.gif .....
Talaikya
Yo nautank!!! Sanskrit mein bhi shuru ho gaye???!!!
Bawra Jay
QUOTE(shivani @ Aug 25 2005, 02:47 PM)
now thats more like the BJ I know  *grinz*

Ya your server really seems like messed up... doing all the typos here....

Should have been --> u r such a TIMEPASS .. u know :-)
Bawra Jay
QUOTE(Talaikya @ Aug 25 2005, 02:49 PM)
Yo nautank!!! Sanskrit mein bhi shuru ho gaye???!!!

Dekhnaa sad1.gif leke jaa sabko SMNS mei..... mujhe chain se padhne leekhne bhi nahi dete ....
shivani
dont read too much between the lines and words!! I address even the cockroaches and lizards in my house as sweetheart and honey!!
hits
QUOTE(bibhas @ Aug 25 2005, 11:08 AM)
I would like to dust the cobwebs and try to remember what little I learnt in school. Is anyone willing to teach Sanskrit here ? Hits, Mandrake, anyone else ?

Folks,

There's good news here. If there is one language which can be learnt by oneself, it is Sanskrit. This is partially so, because we usually don't have any other option. Bulk of the credit goes, of course, to Paanini for the sharpness and logic with which he created the rules of Sanskrit grammer.

Here's my humble advice for beginners and for folks who cannot carry on a basic spoken conversation yet -

1) Pick up any beginners book on Paanini's grammer, and start going through the usages.

2) Pick up the CBSE text books from Stds 8 and 9, if (and when) you have access to them. Start working through the shlokas first.

Thanks
Hits
Bawra Jay
QUOTE(hits @ Aug 25 2005, 03:02 PM)
2) Pick up the CBSE text books from Stds 8 and 9, if (and when) you have access to them. Start working through the shlokas first.

Thanks
Hits

This are available on the website I mentioned earlier.... Natraj books....
gkshyam
Ok.....me too making my customary appearance.........here.... smile1.gif I had learnt Sanskrit in school for three years......then, forgot most of it.....Would enjoy brushing up.......Loved the subject......Damn scoring ... smile1.gif Hope to start off on a good note here.... smile1.gif
visuja
wow.. a thread on my fav language !! jump.gif
Thanks Bibhas for starting off such a wonderful thread. I honestly and sincerely believe almost all Indian languages can be learnt if one has even a basic rudimentary grasp on Sanskrit (and of course patience and 'driving force' to learn that particular language wink2.gif).
I'm no expert on Sanskrit and whatever Sanskrit I understand is based on the Subhashitmaalas in school and understanding the meaning of the various Shlokas I know by-heart.
I still dont see our linguist here .. Mandrake ? camera.gif (Wont be surprised if he's spent sometime learning Sanskrit too !)
I think hits shd be the teacher here.. for acc to me, you have a pretty good understanding of the language ..... er.. care to lead us here too ? unsure.gif

hE gurO !! bow.gif kutra tvam ?? camera.gif aham tava darshanam -kosam betaab-aa aahe headbang.gif aaaarghhh...all khichdis in my head headbang.gif

After some brushing up : aham tava darshanAya vyAkulam asmi unsure.gif
gkshyam
smile1.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif Vivekaah...!!!!!!
hits
QUOTE(gkshyam @ Aug 26 2005, 12:12 AM)
smile1.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif Vivekaah...!!!!!!

Lesson 1 - That would be an address to multiple Viveks!
visuja
Hits ! bow.gif Trust you to see the obvious! Even shyam wouldnt have realised he was typing Sanskrit !!

Yahaan to sirf do Vivek hain HF par...teesra kaun ?? unsure.gif

Ok.. proceeding by trial and error, let me make a few blunders and the gurus here can correct me:

atra Bhavatah biBhAsah pashyAmi. sah kimapi 'post' (=sUchih ?) na karishyati sad1.gif iti kA ?

Let me also translate what i tried to write: (kya pata..galti se theek likh diya ho tongue.gif) --- I see bibhas Sir here. He doesnt post anything. Why so?
Mandrake
QUOTE(visuja @ Aug 26 2005, 10:41 AM)
I think hits shd be the teacher here.. for acc to me, you have a pretty good understanding of the language ..... er.. care to lead us here too ? unsure.gif

VISUJA. Tumne toh mera patta directly kataa diya sad1.gif

(M wanders through the gali-koochas, in tatters, singing 'kuchh log yahaan per aise hain..'
sometimes he changes the song and also sings 'matlab nikal gaya hai oh pehchaantey nahi..') doh.gif
visuja
rollf.gif Mandrake. Mujhe kya pata tumhein sanskrit mein bhi dilchaspi hai wink2.gif (though did give u some credit !! I did expect u that u'd have taken a formal training in this one too !!)
chalo.seems hits is busy with something...why dont u fill in for him ? tongue.gif
Mandrake
QUOTE(visuja @ Aug 28 2005, 08:19 PM)
rollf.gif Mandrake.  Mujhe kya pata tumhein sanskrit mein bhi dilchaspi hai wink2.gif (though did give u some credit !! I did expect u that u'd have taken a formal training in this one too !!)
chalo.seems hits is busy with something...why dont u fill in for him ? tongue.gif

Fill in??? blab.gif
Fill in????? doh.gif
Kyon? Mujhmein zara-si bhi originality nahi hai kya?

(M changes record/cassette/CD : 'ye kya kiya re duniyawale, jahaan ke ghum...' Mukesh-mode shuru hota hai)
visuja
kEnapi EtAni pOsTAni pashyanti ?? unsure.gif camera.gif

Me gonna have a field day obliterating all rules of Sanskrit grammar with no one to correct me ! rollf.gif tongue.gif .....

on second thoughts... sad1.gif cry.gif...

mAta mitram pita chEti svabhAvAt trtayam hitam bow.gif
kAryakAraNataschAnyE bhavanti hitabuddhayah angry2.gif

mAtA = mother
mitram = friend
pita = father
chEti -- cha + iti
cha = and
iti = thus
svabhAvAt = by behaviour / nature
trtayam = trio
hitam = for benifit

By nature, the trio of mother, friends and father (worry about your) welfare.

kAryakAraNataschAnyE --- kArya-kAraNatah + cha + anyE
kArya-kAraNatah = (own) work (and) reason / personal benefits
anyE = others
bhavanti = become
hitabuddhayah = make-believe / feign (your) welfare (any sandhi here ? unsure.gif)

For their own personal needs, others feign being your well-wishers

Me making any sense .. O Panini's at HF ?? camera.gif
Mandrake
doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif

O Krishna, what did you say in the Geeta?

krodhadbhavati sammoha...buddhinaasha....

(M logs onto the net, and books a flight to the Himalayas....)
Mandrake
Suddenly M pauses.... what if Visuja cannot understand?
He quickly turns, strides to the computer, and deftly taps the keyboard:

krodhAdbhavati saMmohaH saMmohAtsmRtivibhramaH
smRtibhraMshAdbuddhinAsho buddhinAshAtpraNashyati

Then, whistling 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly', he sauters to the door...
visuja
M !! bow.gif It is indeed one of my fav passages in the Geeta bow.gif (and one of verrrrrry few that I manage to understand tongue.gif)

dhyAyato vishhayAn pumsah, sangastEshhUpajAyatE
sangAt sanjAyatE kAmah, kAmAt krOdhObhijAyatE
krOdhAdbhavati sammOhah sammOhAt smRtivibhramaH
smRtibhramshAd buddhinAshah buddhinAshAt praNashyati
bow.gif

Generally spot my own behaviour at the anger / sorrow stage and try to analyse what is it that I'm attached to smile1.gif ... budhhinaash tak pahuncha nahin hoon...wink2.gif ..shaayad..unsure.gif
Mandrake
Arey agyaan baalak, buddhinaash tera nahi mera ho raha hai... :hair-pull:

(A quick FF on the player, and the air is filled with the soulful Mukesh:
zinda hoon is tarah ke ghum-e-zindagi nahi
jalta hua chiraag hoon par roshni nahi...)

V instantly peeks in from behind the door!! His glance darts around, trying to find who this Roshni babe is...
visuja
Although translations would be widely available, lemme try and give meanings for individual words:

dhyAyato --- dhyAyatah = (he/she) concentrates
vishhayAn - has a deeper meaning ... I think it means 'wordly objects'
pumsah - person
sangastEshhUpajAyatE --- sangah + tEshhu + upajAyatE
sangah = association
teshhu = among / with them
upajAyatE - arises / starts
(when) a person concentrates on 'wordly objects', he starts associating with them

sangAt = from association
sanjAyatE = arises / springs forth
kAmah = desire
kAmAt = from desire
krOdhObhijAyatE --- krOdhah + abhijAyatE
krOdhah = anger (also means sorrw here, I suppose unsure.gif)
abhijAyatE = arises
From association, springs forth desire (and) from desire arises anger

krOdhAt = from anger
bhavati = exists (from)
sammOhah = delusion
sammOhAt = from delusion
smRtivibhramah = forgetfullness (forgetting whats right and wrong)
Delusion exists (due to) anger (and) from delusion (arises) forgetfulness

smRtibhramshAt = from forgetfullness
budhhinAshah = total loss (of) intellect / wisdom
buddhinAshAt = from loss (of) wisdom
praNashyati = utter destruction
Forgetfullnes leads to loss of wisdom (and) loss of wisdom spells utter destruction

*Vivek enjoys the free rein thats being given to him at this thread tongue.gif rolleyes.gif*
poor bibhas .. u started the thread na ? unsure.gif
bibhas
QUOTE(visuja @ Sep 4 2005, 04:38 AM)

*Vivek enjoys the free rein thats being given to him at this thread tongue.gif rolleyes.gif*
poor bibhas .. u started the thread na ? unsure.gif

Vivek,
Enjoy it. I am enjoying reading all the translations (Dhanyosmi Vivekah) too. Though I knew the general meaning of the shlokas, it helps to see the sandhis broken down and roots displayed. Bhautika shAstrAdhyayanam karishyAmi, Me on a short break to learn physics before I tackle Sankrit.
Bibhas
visuja
Bibhas, your impromptu sanskrit is quite excellent ! Mujhe 5 min sochna padta hai to come up with a short sentence, that too after referring to google and a dictionary! sad1.gif

kutra sarvE janAh? camera.gif
atra kopi (kah + api) na pashhyAmi ! unsure.gif
sad1.gif
bibhas
QUOTE(visuja @ Sep 19 2005, 11:13 PM) *

Bibhas, your impromptu sanskrit is quite excellent ! Mujhe 5 min sochna padta hai to come up with a short sentence, that too after referring to google and a dictionary! sad1.gif

vivekah, mama samskrutamapi bahu durbalam. atah EtAni shubhavachanAni svIkAranEchhAmi.

QUOTE(visuja @ Sep 19 2005, 11:13 PM) *

kutra sarvE janAh? camera.gif
atra kopi (kah + api) na pashhyAmi ! unsure.gif
sad1.gif

sarvE prAyah vibhinna vAda-vivAde vilInAh santi.
shivani
vivekah, mama samskrutamapi bahu durbalam. atah EtAni shubhavachanAni svIkAranEchhAmi.

Vivek (multiple from an earlier lesson) meri sanskrit bahut kamzor hai. isliye itni prashansa swikar nahi kar sakta .

sab log alag alag vaad vivaad ( threads) main vilagn hain ??

How did I fair biggrin.gif
bibhas

How did I fair biggrin.gif

clap1.gif tvam mama atyuttama chhAtrA shivanI.
Just one possible mistake:

Vivek (multiple from an earlier lesson) meri sanskrit bahut kamzor hai. isliye itni prashansa swikar nahi kar sakta .

Vivekah is the same as Vivek- just one Vivek.
Vivekaah is multiple Viveks.
Correct line would be Vivek meri sanskrit bhi (samskrutamapi) bahut kamzor hai. isliye itni prashansa swikar nahi kar sakta

sab log alag alag vaad vivaad ( threads) main vilagn hain ??

sab log shaayad(prAyah) alag alag vaad vivaad mein vilagn hain.
shivani
and my candy fr doign it right rollf.gif rollf.gif

This will be a good idea.. trying to translate all you guys talk here ... fr me to pick up a bit of samskrit atleast
bibhas
QUOTE(shivani @ Sep 20 2005, 03:16 PM) *

and my candy fr doign it right rollf.gif rollf.gif

This will be a good idea.. trying to translate all you guys talk here ... fr me to pick up a bit of samskrit atleast
Click to view attachment
shivani
err... make that a fruit instead.. i dont like chocolates unsure.gif
tvam mama atyuttama chhAtrA shivanI.

tum mama (??) ati uttan chaatra ho

nah.. just that my teachers are good smile1.gif
bibhas
QUOTE(shivani @ Sep 20 2005, 03:41 PM) *

err... make that a fruit instead.. i dont like chocolates unsure.gif

Click to view attachment

tvam mama atyuttama chhAtrA shivanI.

tum mama (??) ati uttan chaatra ho

merii

nah.. just that my teachers are good smile1.gif

tvamapi pravINA shivAnI

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.