Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reasonably Rare Rafi Songs - Not Available Easily
Hamara Forums > Legends > Mohd Rafi
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
sri
Starting this topic to discuss some not so easily available songs featuring Mohd. Rafi - from the 1950s and 60s

Please feel free to add songs which you like.

Here's one song I found in the film 'Akeli mat jaiyo' 1963 where Rafi partners Asha Bhosle - they sing for Agha and Minoo Mumtaz respectively. The movie stars Rajendra Kumar and Meena Kumari, has music by Madan Mohan ( a few pretty good songs ) and lyrics by Majrooh Sultanpuri. This song is a typical, humorous type, romantic song between the two sidekicks in the movie.

Enjoy ! gift.gif

Sri
sri
This is a Rafi song which I used to hear a lot on the radio when it was released in 1969. But very rarely, if ever, have I heard it in recent years. I used to like the song a lot for its tune, orchestration and, of course, the voice of my favourite singer.

I was very happy to get hear this song recently - and wanted to share it with others who may have heard and enjoyed the song in those days ... and others who have never heard the song before.

The song is from the movie Ek Shriman Ek Shrimati starring Shashi Kapoor and Babita - and has music which is typically Kalyanji Anandji- ish ( i.e., KA of those days. Their music changed a little ...with the changing times ...during the late 70s ). Lyrics are of Rajinder Krishan .. one of those few prolific lyricists who worked with numerous music directors

Enjoy ! gift.gif

Sri
YaarMere
Cud I plz trouble you, Sri, its a song 4rom Akeli Mat Jaiyo I have the song on tape sumwhere even had it as MP3 but dont ask... its a sad story.

The song is:Yeh hawa yeh mastana mausam dil ko unpe pyar aaya.

You gonna help or wot Sri?

sri
QUOTE(YaarMere @ Aug 4 2005, 04:57 PM)
Cud I plz trouble you, Sri, its a song 4rom Akeli Mat Jaiyo I have the song on tape sumwhere even had it as MP3 but dont ask... its a sad story.

yaarmere,

i have it

will find it in a day or so

sri
YaarMere
I'll 'thank you' in a day so too friend.
suhana_safar
QUOTE(YaarMere @ Aug 4 2005, 04:57 PM)

YAAR MERE

I HAVE THE FULL SONG. CLASSY SONG WILL UPLOAD TOMORROW...CHECK OUT MY THREAD "RAFISAABS MAGIC"
YaarMere
Confound it ppl wots wrong with 2day? Lol... joke, Im only playin ppl.

SS, I remember, the song is 5mins+. Am I right? If I'm not then its definitely in the high 4mins.

And you are sooooooooooo right... it is a freaking tune n a half! With Lata right? Its the way it sud be, Lord knows we dont want Asha nowhere near Rafi saab.
Sharad
film version
which has been uploaded before!
YaarMere
Am gonna huve fun 2night man.

Sharad where are you these days? Long time no see brother. Busy with tennis?
Akhtar
QUOTE(sri @ Aug 4 2005, 12:20 PM)
This is a Rafi song which I used to hear a lot on the radio when it was released in 1969. But very rarely, if ever, have I heard it in recent years. I used to like the song a lot for its tune, orchestration and, of course, the voice of my favourite singer.

I was very happy to get hold of a copy of the song recently - and want to share it with others who may have heard and enjoyed the song in those days ... and others who have never heard the song before.

The song is from the movie Ek Shriman Ek Shrimati starring Shashi Kapoor and Babita - and has music which is typically Kalyanji Anandji- ish ( i.e., KA of those days. Their music changed a little ...with the changing times ...during the late 70s ). Lyrics are of Rajinder Krishan .. one of those few prolific lyricists who worked with numerous music directors

Enjoy !  gift.gif

Sri

Thanks alot for this one!
Sharad
YM brother
just too busy with class, not even time for tennis

btw man, i finally went back to my dvd place after a many months, didn't see dharamputra, but if you haven't got the full version of our song, let me know
i'm gonna go on sunday - hopefully they got it in stock!

sri
QUOTE(YaarMere @ Aug 4 2005, 05:21 PM)
Confound it ppl wots wrong with 2day? Lol... joke, Im only playin ppl.

SS, I remember, the song is 5mins+. Am I right? If I'm not then its definitely in the high 4mins.

And you are sooooooooooo right... it is a freaking tune n a half! With Lata right? Its the way it sud be, Lord knows we dont want Asha nowhere near Rafi saab.

Yaarmere,

as per my version it is 4:58 mins

sorry for asking you to wait a day and holding up your pleasure in listening to this song .... anyway now sharad has done the needful

thanks sharad, for the quick response !

sri
YaarMere
Its the thought that counts Sri yaar. 'Thank you' to you too.

sri
Folks,

Here's an energetic Rafi song that I like - from the film Poonam ki raat 1965. The movie starred Manoj Kumar. Lyrics of Shailendra and typical music of Salil Chowdhury - you will see the influence of western classical music in the interlude music and Salil's typically unusual and somewhat 'complicated' combination of notes.

As was the general practice with Bengali music directors like Salil and Hemant Kumar ( known as Hemanta Mukherjee in the Bengali music world), this song appeared in Bengali about 2 years before the Hindi version appeared in Rafi's voice. The Bengali version was sung by Shyamal Mitra in 1963 ( Shyamal Mitra later composed music for a few Hindi films like Amanush in 1975)

For your interest, there's also a small clip of the Bengali version of the song ( Jodi kichu amarey sudhaao )

Enjoy ! gift.gif

Sri
suhana_safar
QUOTE(YaarMere @ Aug 4 2005, 10:22 PM)
Its the thought that counts Sri yaar. 'Thank you' to you too.

WAH YAAR MERE. WELL SAID...THATS THE SPIRIT GUYS...

SINCE SHARAD HAS BEATEN ME IN THE RACE AND DOWNLOADED YOUR REQUEST, I WILL REPLACE THAT WITH ANOTHER CLASSY UPLOAD.

RAFISAAB + SURAYA :Eh isqh hume babrad na kar.

bye.gif
sri
Mohd Rafi has always been well known for his wonderful playback singing for Johnny Walker. Here's a reasonably rare one from the film Mujrim 1958, starring Shammi Kapoor and Geeta Bali. Music of O P Nayyar and lyrics of Majrooh.

This song is picturised on Johnny Walker

Enjoy ! gift.gif

Sri
sri
HAYE TABASSUM TERA ... a great Rafi song from the 60s, from the film Nishan (1965). This song had two versions - one sung by Rafi (u/l here) and one by Asha. I clearly remember the popularity of this song at the time it was released ... and it was heard on the radio quite frequently in those days.... thereafter it faded away somewhat, like many other songs of its time, ....probably because the movie was not a hit.

This lovely tune was composed by Usha Khanna and has lyrics of Javed Anwar

For your information, Javed Anwar was the pen name of Usha Khanna's father Shri Manohar Lal Khanna - this information .... courtesy MAHESH

Enjoy gift.gif

Sri
sri
A lilting tune from the film Black Cat 1959 - sung by Rafi along with Suman Kalyanpur - well known in those days.

Nashe mein hum nashe mein tum - has music by one of the grossly underrated music directors of Hindi Film Music - N Dutta ( even though he has a road named after him in Bombay !! ) - with lyrics by Jan Nissar Akhtar

This original appears to be digitised by Saregama music from a gramophone record

Enjoy !

Sri
sri
This one is for Mandrake

The title song sung by Rafi from the film Saaz aur awaz 1966 - starring Joy Mukherjee and Saira Banu. Great music by Naushad, the perfectionist, with lyrics coming from his usual partner Shakeel Badayuni

Using the same tune for the different verses of a song ( with only the words changing ) was a 'standard' tradition for most music directors. But Naushad was different. he believed in providing 'more' to his fans. Many of his songs have completely different tunes for the different verses ( 2 or 3 ) and the interlude music for these verses would also have to be different, naturally. This particular song, as you will listen, has 3 completely different tunes for its 3 verses. That is why, I believe, that each of Naushad's songs ought to be counted as 2 or 3 songs of the 'standard'variety !!

This song from Saaz aur Awaz, has been composed in the Raag Patdeep

Enjoy !

Sri
Anil4
Sri

Thank you not only for the uploads but also the write-ups which make for interesting read.

Weren't the sixties the best time to be a teenager?

Anil
Mandrake
Wow Sri!!!!

Thanks a million!
Not just for the upload, but for the very, very informative write up.

Hope I'll get to interact with you a lot more.

What about the Lata number? Any hopes of getting that too?
sri
QUOTE(Bhirgu @ Aug 6 2005, 08:17 PM)
Sri

Thank you not only for the uploads but also the write-ups which make for interesting read.

Anil

Absolutely agree - that's one thing I am eternally grateful for - living through the golden age of hindi film music - and being present when all these great songs were being born !!

Sri
sri
QUOTE(Mandrake @ Aug 6 2005, 08:20 PM)
Wow Sri!!!!

Thanks a million!
Not just for the upload, but for the very, very informative write up.

Hope I'll get to interact with you a lot more.

What about the Lata number? Any hopes of getting that too?

Unfortunately, I don't have a digitised version of the Lata number - it's on a video cassette and my VCR has conked out. If no one else is able to u/l this number, I will try and digitise from the movie soundtrack ... as soon as I get my VCR fixed !

Sri
sri
Kaafir nazar takraayi

A lively Rafi-Asha duet from the soundtrack of the film 'Adhi raat ke baad' (1965). Music of Chitragupt and lyrics of Anand Bakshi.

gift.gif

Sri
sri
Today's special gift.gif

A rare, lively Rafi number from the film Aag aur Daag ( 1970 ) starring Joy Mukherji ( lucky fellow - used to get good songs even with his flop movies ) and Komal

Music is of N Dutta and lyrics by Noor Dewasi.

Enjoy !

Sri
fiftysomeone
QUOTE(sri @ Aug 6 2005, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE(Bhirgu @ Aug 6 2005, 08:17 PM)
Sri
Anil

Absolutely agree - that's one thing I am eternally grateful for - living through the golden age of hindi film music - and being present when all these great songs were being born !!
Sri

Being a fan of classic rock music in addition to classic Hindi Film songs (but of course), would like to add that the period from 1965 to 75 was when classic rock music was at its best. Though the golden period of Hindi film songs would probably have started a little earlier, in the mid-50's or so, perhaps our generation was fortunate to see both forms of music at their best! Was there something in the world social environment at that time that led to this?
Cheers.

bobby mudgel
sri sir--if u ve(1)humse badhklar kaun hoga--and--iski ho gayi uski ho gayi sabki ho gayi shadi----than pls u/l
sri
QUOTE(bobby mudgel @ Aug 8 2005, 11:14 PM)
sri sir--if u ve(1)humse badhklar kaun hoga--and--iski ho gayi uski ho gayi sabki ho gayi shadi----than pls u/l

Bobby

I do have 'humse badhkar kaun hoga' - will keep that as the next post on this topic

Keep a watch

Sri
sri

Being a fan of classic rock music in addition to classic Hindi Film songs (but of course), would like to add that the period from 1965 to 75 was when classic rock music was at its best. Though the golden period of Hindi film songs would probably have started a little earlier, in the mid-50's or so, perhaps our generation was fortunate to see both forms of music at their best! Was there something in the world social environment at that time that led to this?
Cheers.

Maybe the effect of the end of colonialism ???

But you are right .. there must have been something in the environment - because that level of talent, dedication and application coupled with a passion ( for music - not for money ! ) has not been seen since then

Sri
Flex001
[quote=sri,Aug 8 2005, 11:39 PM]
[/quote]
Cheers.

[/quote]
Maybe the effect of the end of colonialism ???

But you are right .. there must have been something in the environment - because that level of talent, dedication and application coupled with a passion ( for music - not for money ! ) has not been since since then

Sri

[/quote]

People who were either born or were children during WWII would've been young adults around 1965.
sri
interesting point , Flex001 !!

something like that must have spurred / inspired that generation to produce magic

Sri
sri
QUOTE(bobby mudgel @ Aug 8 2005, 11:14 PM)
sri sir--if u ve(1)humse badhklar kaun hoga--and--iski ho gayi uski ho gayi sabki ho gayi shadi----than  pls u/l

Today's song is for you, Bobby ! gift.gif

Humse badhkar kaun hoga aap ka deewana - by Rafi and Asha for Aag aur daag 1970 - the lively, somewhat Shankar-Jaikishan-ish, music is by N Dutta (N Dutta also used the same music arranger as SJ for many of his films)

This is from the movie soundtrack

Enjoy !

Sri
bobby mudgel
thank u sir 4 ur quick response----pls if possible u/l both asha,s song on asha forum--choli bheegi--and--aaj ki raat
sri
QUOTE(bobby mudgel @ Aug 9 2005, 10:23 PM)
thank u sir 4 ur quick response----pls if possible  u/l both asha,s song on asha forum--choli  bheegi--and--aaj ki raat

Bobby

i have u'l your request for 'choli bheegi'

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...31402&st=1035&#

check under asha forum - under kaccha dhaaga topic of Unni

Sri
bobby mudgel
thnx sri ji again u were quick
sri
For new visitors, - here's a list of songs on this topic - for your convenience, to avoid scrolling through many pages

On pg 1
1. Yeh cycle ka chakkar,Rafi-Asha, Film: Akeli mat jaiyo 1963, Music: Madan Mohan
2. Yeh hawa yeh mastana mausam, Rafi-Lata, Film : Akeli mat jaiyo 1963, Music : Madan Mohan (courtesy sharad)
3. Chandni rat mein,Rafi,, Film : Ek shriman ek shrimati 1969, Music : Kalyanji Anandji
4. Dil tadpe tadpaye, Rafi, Film : Poonam ki raat 1965, Music : Salil Chowdhury

On pg 2
5. Zulf ke phande, Rafi, Film : Mujrim 1958,Music : OPNayyar
6. Haye tabassum tera,Rafi,Film : Nishan 1964,Music : Usha Khanna
7. Nashe mein hum, nashe mein tum,Rafi-Suman,Film : Black cat 1959,Music : N Dutta
8. Saaz ho tum awaz hoon main,Rafi,Film : Saaz aur awaz 1966,Music : Naushad
9. Kaafir nazar takrayi,Rafi-Asha,Film : Adhi raat ke baad 1965,Music : Chitragupt
10. Yeh pyar ka jhagda hai,Rafi,Film : Aag aur daag 1970,Music : N Dutta

On pg 3
11. Humse badhkar kaun hoga, Rafi, Film : Aag aur daag 1970, Music : N Dutta

Enjoy !

Sri
princeali
Sri,

Thanks alot for the wonderful rare songs that you have uploaded, keep up the good work !
sri
QUOTE(princeali @ Aug 12 2005, 04:56 AM)
Sri,

Thanks alot for the wonderful rare songs that you have uploaded, keep up the good work !

thanks for the encouragement !!

if you have any rare, good songs of good quality...which you like ... pl feel free to u/l here

Sri
sri
Today's song - from a film full of lovely songs composed by one of my favourite music directors - Roshan

This duet of Rafi & Asha is one of the lesser known songs from the movie

Here it is gift.gif

enjoy !

Sri
sri
Today's special - a lively Rafi solo from the film Ustad 420 - has music by N Dutta - year 1969

Hero (Sudhir) who is working as the driver of a tourist taxi is doing ched-chaad with the heroine Zeb Rehman who is the customer !! Loses his job. of course, the next day .... but true to hindi film routine - wins the heart of the heroine later !!

Good sound quality

Enjoy !! gift.gif

Sri
sri
Here is a very cute song from the film Detective ( 1958 ) - 'Kal talak hum theek tha, aaj hamen kya ho gaya'.

The song is sung by Mohd. Rafi and Geeta Dutt - both have sung so well. Rafi with his usual breezy style of singing these kind of light songs ... and Geeta has done a special job - after all, the music was composed by her own brother ( Mukul Roy )!! Remember, Geeta Dutt was Geeta Roy before she married Guru Dutt.

Mukul Roy did a good job in this movie ... there's another well known song - "Mujhko tum jo mile, yeh jahaan mil gaya" - sung by Hemant and Geeta; and one more which is inspired from the tune of Jamaican farewell 1955 (made famous by the calypso singer Harry Belafonte) - this song is 'do chamakte aankhon mein kal khwab sunehra tha jitna' ..... but Mukul Roy composed music for just 3 or 4 films, to the best of my knowledge.

You all will like this cute number, certainly.

Enjoy ! gift.gif

Sri
sri
members who have d/led songs from this topic .. and who have liked them ... i would very much like to hear your comments. After all, the purpose of this topic is to share this music with other fans, spread enjoyment and bond with each other through this music

so, any appreciative comments about these songs would be be most welcome !!

thanks

Sri
visuja
Sri-ji bow.gif bow.gif Excellent uploads and in superb quality too ! clap1.gif clap1.gif

Had been looking for Haai Tabassum Tera for sometime ..... Keep up the good work sir ..... grateful for your efforts bow.gif

Vivek
sri
QUOTE(visuja @ Aug 17 2005, 12:23 AM)
Sri-ji  bow.gif  bow.gif Excellent uploads and in superb quality too !  clap1.gif  clap1.gif

Had been looking for Haai Tabassum Tera for sometime ..... Keep up the good work sir ..... grateful for your efforts  bow.gif

Vivek

Thanks, Vivek

I have started a similar thread for Lata songs - check that out too - only 2 songs so far though

Sri
visuja
Yes Sri, did check that thread. I'm being quite 'selective' in downlaoding songs, as I dont have much hard disk space (nor a CD writer sad1.gif ).

Do keep up the good work. I'll get my chance to request and download the ones I miss at a later stage, hopefully :sigh:
sri
Today's special is a lovely Rafi song from the film Aag aur Daag 1970 - has music by N Dutta.

This song was picturised on Joy Mukherji ( lucky guy as far as songs go ! ) playing on the grand piano - like all heroes do !

enjoy ! gift.gif

Sri
qhabibi
Good Work Sri Bhai Love That Song

Picturised On Jay Mukherjee
sri
QUOTE(qhabibi @ Aug 21 2005, 01:38 AM)
Good Work Sri Bhai Love That Song

Picturised On Jay Mukherjee

thanks, qasim bhai - glad you like it

even uptil 1970, N Dutta's music was pretty good ... but somehow his music never hit the charts. It is indeed a nice feeling to re-discover these songs after such a long time !

i also saw your new u/l of Rafi songs from rare audio tapes under your topic - very good work - keep it up! some feedback for you - hope you don't mind - in some of the songs i noticed some extra audio sounds ( coming from mouse clicks ) - if possible, try to avoid them while recording

Sri
qhabibi
Well Thanks Sri Bhai For Liking My Uploads.Well I have Not Notice any type Of Clicks in My Upload Songs. After Capturing Song i Reduce its Hiss and Noice First Than Upload It. Well It is Strange For Me any how Thanks again For Telling Me That
sri
For new visitors, - here's a list of songs on this topic - for your convenience, to avoid scrolling through many pages

On pg 1
1. Yeh cycle ka chakkar,Rafi-Asha, Film: Akeli mat jaiyo 1963, Music: Madan Mohan
2. Yeh hawa yeh mastana mausam, Rafi-Lata, Film : Akeli mat jaiyo 1963, Music : Madan Mohan (courtesy sharad)
3. Chandni rat mein,Rafi,, Film : Ek shriman ek shrimati 1969, Music : Kalyanji Anandji
4. Dil tadpe tadpaye, Rafi, Film : Poonam ki raat 1965, Music : Salil Chowdhury

On pg 2
5. Zulf ke phande, Rafi, Film : Mujrim 1958,Music : OPNayyar
6. Haye tabassum tera,Rafi,Film : Nishan 1964,Music : Usha Khanna
7. Nashe mein hum, nashe mein tum,Rafi-Suman,Film : Black cat 1959,Music : N Dutta
8. Saaz ho tum awaz hoon main,Rafi,Film : Saaz aur awaz 1966,Music : Naushad
9. Kaafir nazar takrayi,Rafi-Asha,Film : Adhi raat ke baad 1965,Music : Chitragupt
10. Yeh pyar ka jhagda hai,Rafi,Film : Aag aur daag 1970,Music : N Dutta

On pg 3
11. Humse badhkar kaun hoga, Rafi, Film : Aag aur daag 1970, Music : N Dutta
12. Na_bhanwra_na_koi_gul_Rafi_Asha__Aarti_1962__Roshan___Majrooh
13. Dil_jawani_mein_sambhaalo_Rafi_Ustad_420_1969__N_Dutta_Asad_Bhopali
14. Kal_talak_hum_theek_tha_Rafi_Geeta_Detective_1958_Mukul_Roy_Shailendra

On pg 4
15. Tere_is_pyar_ka_shukriya__Rafi__Aag_aur_daag_1970__N_Dutta_S_H_Bihari

Sri
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.