Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mohe Panghat Par Nandlal
Hamara Forums > Music > Sangeet Ke Sitarey
sbfan
Hi friends

Hers is the link for "Mohe panghat par nand lal "( a classical number ) by Miss Indubala.

Anyone having info of this singer and year of recording

http://www.kanandevi.com/AUDIO001.htm

warm regards

ashish
Pulkit
Dear Ashish

This is going to be news for some. Naushad sahab who takes pride in deriding remixes and song imitations and has worked hard to protect piracy and copyrights is caught red handed here. The song by Indu Bala was recorded in 1930s, lyrics are traditional. Naushad used the same tune in Mughal-e-Azam. Shakeel and Naushad are not to be credited for this song as the lyrics are traditonal and the tune is lifted from Indu Bala's song. blab.gif
bchatterjee
QUOTE(ashish2345 @ Jul 29 2005, 07:08 PM)
Hi friends

Hers is the link for "Mohe panghat par nand lal "( a classical  number ) by Miss Indubala.

Anyone having info of this singer and year of recording

http://www.kanandevi.com/AUDIO001.htm

warm regards

ashish

Thanks for the wonderful Kana Debi - R.C. Boral songs!!!!
My maternal grandfather (now decesed) remembered how simple and excellent Kananbala was! They had common friends as my grandfather was a stage actor both in Bangladesh as well as in Calcutta. He especially remembers how much Kananbala loved cooking fish with mustard oil in the typical Bengali style.....she loved to do kitchen activities, cutting vegetables with a bothi (bengali kitchen utensis for cutting fish and vegetables!)

I remember my father employed a guy who was then in his late 60s....He was originally from a zamindari family. As usual his younger days were spent like lifestyle shown in Sahib Bibi aur Ghulam and finally he had to settle for a job under my father.....He used to tell me of the parties his dad held where Kanan Debi, Pankaj Mallick, Saigal used to come....At that age I hated listening to his stories...They were tooo boring!!!

Similarly R.C. Boral's son used to do some odd jobs at my father's company and I remember him even when I was in high school.....He would talk about those times and I remember he was the one who told me that Geeta Dutt was taught music by the same person as Symal Mitra (a Bengali superclass singer right after Hemanta)...

I just wondered what a life for the son's of these wonderful musicians....working odd jobs for my dad!!! My mother used to scold me saying see how difficult life is...that is why you need to study and achieve something in life showing glaring examples of these people....

I also remember Pratima Banerjee (she died of a heart attack recently), a great talent of Bengal...Her personal life ruined her career which Hemanta Mukherjee helped her to build up. But I remember even in 1992 she sang wonderfully all night in a family friend's wedding.....My mother introduced me to her and I touched her feet but was just tooo shy to even look at her face for long!!! I wish I could go back to those times and act differently!!!

I was just too young then to realize their value to our culture/heritage.

O these songs brought back memories from my child hood days at the Kalighat Bhowanipur area!!

Bappa

Listen to Pratima Banerjee at:

http://www.karmadownload.com/artist/?13742

Second song
bchatterjee
More Pratima Banerjee:

Listen to the wonderful classical voice

http://www.web-bangla.com/old_adhunik/pratima.asp

Nazrulgeeti by Pratima Banerjee

http://www.web-bangla.com/najrulgeeti/pratima.asp
fiftysomeone
QUOTE(Pulkit @ Jul 29 2005, 08:49 PM)
Dear Ashish
This is going to be news for some. Naushad sahab who takes pride in deriding remixes and song imitations and has worked hard to protect piracy and copyrights is caught red handed here. The song by Indu Bala was recorded in 1930s, lyrics are traditional. Naushad used the same tune in Mughal-e-Azam. Shakeel and Naushad are not to be credited for this song as the lyrics are traditonal and the tune is lifted from Indu Bala's song. blab.gif

Pulkit bhai,
Interesting observation, I had been un-aware of Indubala's version. However, it is a bit debatable whether using a folk song as a basis for a song is plagiarism; several of the earlier MD's always drew upon the cultural roots of their regions. The matter of course may be one of degree of commonality.
Cheers.

sbfan
QUOTE(fiftysomeone @ Jul 30 2005, 05:32 AM)
Dear Ashish

Pulkit bhai,
Interesting observation, I had been un-aware of Indubala's version. However, it is a bit debatable whether using a folk song as a basis for a song is plagiarism; several of the earlier MD's always drew upon the cultural roots of their regions. The matter of course may be one of degree of commonality.
Cheers.

Thanks friends

actually this song is truly a folk song and may be that even possible before 1930's played in royal darbar.Yes I also believe that many music directors used folk songs with similar tunes also a folk with different tune would certainly be unpopular and people would easily trace it.I am not sure if he has credited to shakeelji.belive me till toady I had the impression it is traditional Yes it is wrong to credit shakeel badayuni for the lyrics,though he added some stanzas ofcourse .It was not expected from Naushadji.

the question raised by fiftysome is good,how to decide whether using folk is piracy or not.I think to use these traditional numbers even somewhat edited the antarras can be treated right if credit is given to original.even today in veerzaara they used old punjabi folk "sadke sadke "and credited as traditional .
..I was listening to jagjit kaur song "larri ve larri tujhse ankh jo larri
The music director cleverly copied punjabi folk tune "ari ver ari na kar bothi tu ari "therefore Jagjit's version can be treated as pirated folk.

Read this regarding song from mughal-e-azam

"K.Asif wanted the best choreographer for the song. Naushad sug-
gested Lachchu Maharaj. And the great Kathak exponent burst into
tears the minute her heard the song. Asif was baffled. "Why is
he crying," he asked Naushad. "Tell him to start dancing."

Naushad took the dancer aside and asked him why he was weeping.
Lachchu Maharaj confided that his father, Alkaji Bindadin, had
been Nawab Wajid Ali Shah's darbari dancer. And "mohe panghat pe
nandalal" with nawab playing Krishna, was his favourite composi-
tion. "Hearing the number after all these years, I was
overwhelmed. It reminded me of baba"

please do add

warm regards
ashish.
sbfan
QUOTE(bchatterjee @ Jul 29 2005, 10:24 PM)

Listen to Pratima Banerjee at:

http://www.karmadownload.com/artist/?13742

Second song

Thanks Bappa for sharing such a precious info with us.

I myself like kanan devi's song played by talat mehmood in his program

does Pratima Banerjee has any hindi songs .also anybody having info of Miss Indubala

warm regards

Ashish

maheshks
Dear Ashish

Ye to Naushad saheb ki purani aadat hai. Unko pata hai ki unke zamane ka koyi
aadmi zinda nahi hai is liye jo kahenge sab sach maan liya jaayega.

We all know many of his statements are not correct... like..... Uma Devi was introduced to singing by him in the the movie Dard ......his song jab dil hi toot gaya was played during the last journey of KL Sehgal to shamshaan. He has also been found inspired sunglasses2.gif by many tunes of 30s. All these and many other incidents can be discussed at appropriate time at appropriate threads.
urzung khan
QUOTE(ashish2345 @ Jul 30 2005, 06:01 AM)
QUOTE(fiftysomeone @ Jul 30 2005, 05:32 AM)
Dear Ashish
This is going to be news for some. Naushad sahab who takes pride in deriding remixes and song imitations and has worked hard to protect piracy and copyrights is caught red handed here. The song by Indu Bala was recorded in 1930s, lyrics are traditional. Naushad used the same tune in Mughal-e-Azam. Shakeel and Naushad are not to be credited for this song as the lyrics are traditonal and the tune is lifted from Indu Bala's song. :blab:

Pulkit bhai,
Cheers.

Thanks friends

actually this song is truly a folk song and may be that even possible before 1930's played in royal darbar.Yes I also believe that many music directors used folk songs with similar tunes also a folk with different tune would certainly be unpopular and people would easily trace it.I am not sure if he has credited to shakeelji.belive me till toady I had the impression it is traditional Yes it is wrong to credit shakeel badayuni for the lyrics,though he added some stanzas ofcourse .It was not expected from Naushadji.

the question raised by fiftysome is good,how to decide whether using folk is piracy or not.I think to use these traditional numbers even somewhat edited the antarras can be treated right if credit is given to original.even today in veerzaara they used old punjabi folk "sadke sadke "and credited as traditional .
..I was listening to jagjit kaur song "larri ve larri tujhse ankh jo larri
The music director cleverly copied punjabi folk tune "ari ver ari na kar bothi tu ari "therefore Jagjit's version can be treated as pirated folk.

Read this regarding song from mughal-e-azam

warm regards
ashish.

Believe it or not, there exists another rendition of mohe panghat-thumri-piloo,
by Usha Rani. Her rendition had three stanza. I heard it from a collector about
2/3 years back. Indubala's recording was known to me at that time. Who recorded
it first, I can't say.
I think most of us are familiar with the tune of ' dharti ko aakaash pukaare' from
Mela by Shamshad and Mukesh. Now there is a song from early 30s by Umrao
Zia Begum which has the same tune:
raavii ke us paar sajanwaa, raavii ke us paar
(This song is available with select collectors in India)

It should be addmitted that recordings of Indubala, Usha Rani and Umrao Zia
Begum are largely unknown, forgotten and dead. Throw anything you wish on
the fellow who reused the tunes and gave them a new life but remember
that a flower is dependent upon the gentle breeze to have its fragrance
spread.
'buu-e-gul phailtii kis tarah jo hotii na nasiim'/Allama Iqbal

urzung khan

usrafian

Tradition is the root cause & minimum 90% of our deeds are the results of traditions only. Tradition are like fore-fathers/ancestors.

I do fully agreed with U.Khan.

It is a known fact that during the release of the film, & this song 'Mohe Panghat Pe', hot debate took place for claiming the tune & lyrics by various artists & for the judgment a committee was formed & shair-E-Azam Sahir sahab was also the committee member.

I don't remember what was the outcome of judgement but finally, clean chit was given to Noushaad sahab & Shakeel Badauinee sahab.

BTW credit for immortality of the song goes to these two great personalities only.

sbfan
Thanks a lot friends for this good discussion.I always see that we people miss healthy discussions as on the other forums
regarding tune copied case,that time also there were charges for this act .please read this

http://www.studio-systems.com/Playback&Fas...PageWithTop.htm

warm regards

Ashish.
sbfan
Hi friends

i have lost my collection in hard drive crash some 2 months back..
can anyone upload this song. the url now contains Geetaji's songs..

thanks in advance
ashish
fiftysomeone
QUOTE(ashish2345 @ Jul 24 2006, 12:35 PM) *

Hi friends
i have lost my collection in hard drive crash some 2 months back..
can anyone upload this song. the url now contains Geetaji's songs..
thanks in advance
ashish

Sorry to hear abt your hard drive. Here is the song requested.

sbfan
thanks a lot sir

regards
ashish
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.