Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "live" Fusion Concerts
Hamara Forums > Music > Fusion
gkshyam
Hey.....Well.....I'm not too sure whether this topic fits in 'this' forum....But when I saw the Thread below on L.Shankar and his fusion works, I thought it would be 'safe' enough to start this thread 'HERE'....I'm looking out for Fusion recordings by Indian artistes....recorded "LIVE"......Desperately searching for Videos of Indian artistes performing fusion.....(L.Subramaniam, L.Shankar, Taufiq Qureshi, Shankar Mahadevan, Kumaresh-Ganesh, Vikku Vinayakram, Sivamani, Ravi Shankar "ETC" {thats a DAMN IMP Word} videos...to name a few......)....Any support will be thoroughly appreciated.......Even Audio recorded live is OK...But Videos preferred......

I will soon be getting a few videos of Dr.L.Subramaniam's live concert in Mumbai
that took place recently....and will try and post them here......But I'm expecting some decent response soon from all of you.........on this Thread.....Plss reply....
bye.gif
kamalaakarsh
now thats a great job..a thread on contemporary Fusion music has been missing. there are many artists..like kshyam has mentioned...i wud like to add trilok gurtu,SHAKTI, Ranjit Barot, Louis Banks, Pt.karthik humar and pt.niladri kumar etc.,. looking forward for some mindboggling uploads..
gkshyam
Absolutely Spot-On Aakarsh......Its really true that a thread on contemporary fusion stuff by Indian artistes was clearly felt amiss....Infact I even thought of sending a message to the Admin to start a forum on this......I really mean it....this SUBJECT is AMAZZINGLLY HUGE ENUFFF to cover a Forum in itself....The whole world knows the amount of collaborations Indian artistes have been having with not only artistes from the WEST, but also other Indian artistes from Different Genres, in presenting really Great Fusion works.....

But I thought it would be better....or even "Smarter", to first start by atleast embarking on a new thread on this Genre.....Later...going by the response....Things can be sorted out.....But anyways......A good start to the Topic.....Thanks for that Quick response.....Hope more responses pour in......KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!
anurag
Why restrict one to fusion music created by Indian musicians alone?

With a more electro-trance flavor can be added Laszlo Hortobagyi from Hungary, who made some fantastic Ethno-Electronic fusion, Suns of Arqa (their Cosmic Jugalbandi, IMO, is the best album so far), and The Gayan Uttejak Orchestra (established by Hortobagyi).

Then, you have more traditional fusion created by George Harrison of The Beatles fame (his eclectic collection of sounds very ethnic in nature in the soundtrack of Wonderwall comes to mind instantly!). Joe Harriott and John Mayer under the name of group "Indo-Jazz fusion" created music that incorporated Indian Classical music at a deeper and structural level, rather than as a superficial layer characterised by the use of a few Indian instruments, such as sitar in place of guitar. Those of you, who are old enough might probably recall Joe and John's serious efforts in this direction in 60s. When Indo-Jazz fusion is being talked about, there is a name that can not escape a mention and that is of John McLaughlin's. If there is one man in the West, who really brought Indian music to the West, then it is McLaughlin, who also formed Shakti (with Zakir Hussain) and Mahavishnu Orchestra. Jan Garbarek also produced an album with Fateh Ali Khan, called Ragas and Sagas, which is one of the most melodic album I have ever come across.

Harry Manx (I vividly recall his Rag Jog rendition on Dog My Cat!), Philip Glass, Paul Horn, and Gabor Szabo are a few others who have produced at least one good album each on this subject.

There have also been some ambient music based fusion creation by the sitar player Al Gromer Khan (listen to his Divan I Khas and Mahogany Nights),Karunesh (Bruno), Ravi Katshuraga, and James Asher.

On the other hand, Trilok Gurtu, Karsh Kale, Nitin Sahwney, Badmarsh and Shri, Sheila Chandra, DJ Cheb I Sabbah(their Krishna Lila albums is a good one!), Jai Uttal, Prem Joshua, Loop Guru, Toronto Tabla Ensemble, Talvin Singh, and M-Path are known for making more catchy and fast paced fusion (but not necessarily good!) music that has a strong appeal to the younger generations.

However, there is one group that remains my personal favorite among all of these and that is Tabla Beat Science. They (apart from Shakti) represent what is the best of fusion and underline the possibilities for creation of such music emerging out of this ensemble of great musicians composed of tabla guru Zakir Hussain, sonorous sarangi player Ustad Sultan Khan, bassist Bill Laswell, and young drummer Karsh Kale. If you have never heard their Tala Matrix and Live in San Francisco at Stern Grove, you have major euphoria coming your way, that is, as and when you do listen.

Cheers.
Chitralekha
I recently came across entire album of Karsh Kale named Realize. I was wondering if there's more of his work out there. It's beautiful. I am yet to listen to Trilok Gurtu. My cousin is a big fan of all of these guys you mentioned in last paragraph. When we talked of her favorites last time she had also given me names like Bikram Ghosh, Dhol Foundation, Asian Travels, Colonial Cousins, Buddha Beats. Do these fall under same category? So where does one go to buy this music? any idea?
anurag
QUOTE(Chitralekha @ Apr 23 2005, 09:00 PM)
I recently came across entire album of Karsh Kale named Realize. I was wondering if there's more of his work out there. It's beautiful. I am yet to listen to Trilok Gurtu. My cousin is a big fan of all of these guys you mentioned in last paragraph. When we talked of her favorites last time she had also given me names like Bikram Ghosh, Dhol Foundation, Asian Travels, Colonial Cousins, Buddha Beats. Do these fall under same category? So where does one go to buy this music? any idea?

Chitz,

Karsh's father gave me his album Realize many years ago. That's how I got it, then.

Bikram Ghosh, a tabla player received training from well known Gyan Prakash Ghosh and he has an album called Talking Tabla available at emusic. It'd probably not be right to categorize Dhol Foundation and Colonial Cousins as fusion music. Their is little western about them. Buddha Beats (and, even expensive and import Buddha Bar series with Cafe Del Mar and Hotel Costes) are at best chill and lounge music, which can be bought from any online music stores but I'd suggest you to not to spend your precious money on these kind of albums --- to give an example, most of the Buddha Bar albums at amazon cost anywhere from 25 to 50 dollars. The quality of music on them is not commensurate with such price tags, in fact far from it.

If you really want to listen to some good, hip and evolving music produced by our Indian groups, listen to Indian Ocean and Medieval Punditz. Indian Ocean's music on the banned movie Black Friday is the best from a young group.

Trilok Gurtu's tracks figure somewhere in top of my choices for listening, especially in the ones where he employed the voice of his late mother Shobha Gurtu. Remembrance is one such album.

A lot of musicians, I have mentioned in the previous post are attached to independent labels and hence are well-represented at emusic. You can find almost all of Al Gromer Khan, DJ Cheb I Sabbah, Asian Travels, Terry Oldfield, Prem Joshua, Suns of Arqa, The Gayan Uttejak Orchestra, Laszlo Hortobagyi, Badmarsh, and others there. Let me know if you are looking for specific recommendations and I'd be glad to suggest.
Chitralekha
QUOTE(anurag @ Apr 23 2005, 06:46 PM)
QUOTE(Chitralekha @ Apr 23 2005, 09:00 PM)

Chitz,

Karsh's father gave me his album Realize many years ago. That's how I got it, then.

Bikram Ghosh, a tabla player receieved training from well known Gyan Prakash Ghosh and he has an album called Talking Tabla available at emusic. It'd probably not be right to categorize Dhol Foundation and Colonial Cousins as fusion music. Their is little western about them. Buddha Beats (and, even expensive and import Buddha Bar series with Cafe Del Mar and Hotel Costes) are at best chill and lounge music, which can be bought from any online music stores but I'd suggest you to not to spend your precious money on these kind of albums --- to give an example, most of the Buddha Bar albums at amazon cost anywhere from 25 to 50 dollars. The quality of music on them is not commensurate with such price tags, in fact far from it.

If you really want to listen to some good, hip and evolving music produced by our Indian groups, listen to Indian Ocean and Medieval Punditz. Indian Ocean's music on the banned movie Black is the best from a young group.

Trilok Gurtu's tracks figure somewhere in top of my choices for listening, especially in the ones where he employed the voice of his late mother Shobha Gurtu. Remembrance is one such album.

A lot of musicians, I have mentioned in the previous post are attached to independent labels and hence are well-represented at emusic. You can find almost all of Al Gromer Khan, DJ Cheb I Sabbah, Asian Travels, Terry Oldfoeld, Prem Joshua, Suns of Arqa, The Gayan Uttejak Orchestra, Laszlo Hortobagyi, Badmarsh, and others there. Let me know if you are looking for specific recommendations and I'd be glad to suggest.

My my! you are a big fusion fan I'd say. Please do suggest some personal favorites. I am definitely believing your opinion here since I have no background in this whatsoever.
gkshyam
Yep.Anurag...Just got back to this page, after I had posted the Original Post 2 days back. I ran through your entire list of Non-Indian Fusion artistes too...Well.....One small problem here friend, I got a mail from this forum admin that "For Technical reasons, non-Indian/Western tracks aren't allowed on this forum".....Therefore, I 'restricted' my posting on only Indian Fusion Artistes......Personally though, I too love All-Fusion artistes worldwide....No Restrictions from my side...FOrum Rules....Sorry....Plssss limit ursleves here.........Only Indian!!! Hamaraforums Rules.....!!!!
anurag
QUOTE(gkshyam @ Apr 24 2005, 02:11 PM)
One small problem here friend, I got a mail from this forum admin that "For Technical reasons, non-Indian/Western tracks aren't allowed on this forum".....Therefore, I 'restricted' my posting on only Indian Fusion Artistes......Personally though, I too love All-Fusion artistes worldwide....No Restrictions from my side...FOrum Rules....Sorry....Plssss limit ursleves here.........Only Indian!!! Hamaraforums Rules.....!!!!

Shyam, admins only asked you to not to post tracks. There is no restriction on discussing anyone and that's what we have been doing.

Cheers.
gkshyam
OKAAY!!!!!! then I am also INTO the discussion!!!!!!! smile1.gifwink2.gif
gkshyam
Well.....What happened? Nobody seems to be responding to this Thread???? Kya Hua??? By the way....I've not yet recd. those Videos of Dr.L.Subramaniam....will be getting them soon enough.........Currently...I have some other fusion tracks by Indian artistes........and With respect to 'Live' Recordings....Have got the tracks recorded during the live concert by This particular Group of Amazing Indian Artistes : Kumaresh-Ganesh on violins; Vikku Vinayakram on Ghatam; his son Selvaganesh on Kanjira; Anandan Sivamani on Drums; Dina on Keyboards....and supported well by few other artistes...a vocalist....bassist, mridangist etc.....The recordings were released as a Album named "MASTERS OF MUSIC"...and all the tracks are composed by the violin duo of Kumaresh and Ganesh......Let me know if u want them uploaded...I'll do it for you......Remember..its a live concert recording....Also have got another live "Gig's" recording...this one has Taufiq Qureshi, Shankar Mahadevan, Ranjit Barot, Zakir Hussain etc.....doing a live act...have got that on video as well as audio......this one has them doing a gig using a different concept...that of using one's body..and vocal 'sounds' to give the same effect of live percussions......

Have also got the Dr.L.Subramaniam's tracks from "Live at Moscow"....this again has been a very different fusion experiment by him......Featuring two compositions by him.....both Symphony based compositions.....fusing Indian classical and Western Symphony....And that live Concert Orchestra was conducted by none other than the Legendary Zubin Mehta.....so...a meeting of two Indian Greats... bow.gif bow.gif

These were some of the LIVE stuff i have... clap1.gif .Lemme know if anyone wants it.....
bye.gif
kamalaakarsh
hey gkshyam..start off man...with L.subramanium's Live @ moscow...

and ya..prem joshua is another fantastic musician..anyone having his albums?
gkshyam
HULLO!!!!! I'm back.......Yes Aakarsh.....got your reply on that........So...here...are the details on the tracks from Dr.L.Subramaniam's "LIVE AT MOSCOW".....well....as I mentioned earlier.....The composer is Dr.L.Subramaniam ..and the conductor (Well, I goofed up a bit on this tongue.gif )......Well, this track was originally composed and performed by Dr.L.Subramaniam and Zubin Mehta as the conductor......Later....Dr.L.Subramaniam has played these compositions on different occassions with different Orchestras.........

This particular recording (LIVE AT MOSCOW) has two tracks. Here are the 'credit lists' for both: -

1. "FANTASY ON VEDIC CHANTS" (Duration: 29:10 mins)
Dr.L.Subramaniam - Violinist/composer
Orchestra - Kirov Symphony Orchestra of Leningrad
Conductor - Maestro Djemal Dalgat

2. "DOUBLE CONCERTO" (Duration: 30:26 mins)
Dr.L.Subramaniam - Violinist/Composer
Maxim Fedotov - Violin
Orchestra - Moscow Radio and TV Large Symphony Orchestra
Conductor - Maestro Vladimir Fedoseyev

Now, All you forum members......I have a small problem on this....The tracks are in mp3 format, but still too big to upload. They are 26.5 MB and 28.8 MB respectively. So I dunno how to upload. Any assistance in this regard will be appreciated.
smile1.gif
unni
GKS:

If you don't already have it, please download the freeware WINRAR. It gives you the option to split the files.

Since each upload has to be under 10m, you'd need to split the first track into 3 files of each 9m and the second into 4 files each 8m.

Once the split files are dowloaded into the same folder, upon extracting just one file the rest of the files get extracted automatically and merge as a single track.
gkshyam
Hi Unni......sorry to keep you and everybody waiting for soooo long.......

Got that reply of yours. Well I do have WINRAR, But had used it only to play songs downloaded from here. For the past many days, following your advice, I've been trying to 'create an archive', and split the song. But I'm not getting it right inspite of many many attempts. First of all, I'm a bit technologically challenged.....(Realised that just now)......I dunno how many bytes are 1 MB.......wink2.gif...HEHEHEHHE.....(YES....Thats a BIGG JOKE NOW, right??) And WINRAR asks to enter how many bytes I need each of the 'split' portions to be.....I tried different options...Nothing working......In short....I'm nowhere near the result......PLSSS HELP ME OUT....!!!!!!!!!;( sad1.gif
unni
QUOTE(gkshyam @ May 4 2005, 02:37 AM)
Hi Unni......sorry to keep you and everybody waiting for soooo long.......

Got that reply of yours. Well I do have WINRAR, But had used it only to play songs downloaded from here. For the past many days, following your advice, I've been trying to 'create an archive', and split the song. But I'm not getting it right inspite of many many attempts. First of all, I'm a bit technologically challenged.....(Realised that just now)......I dunno how many bytes are 1 MB.......wink2.gif...HEHEHEHHE.....(YES....Thats a BIGG JOKE NOW, right??) And WINRAR asks to enter how many bytes I need each of the 'split' portions to be.....I tried different options...Nothing working......In short....I'm nowhere near the result......PLSSS HELP ME OUT....!!!!!!!!!;( sad1.gif

In HF the file attachment to a post should not exceed 10mb. So if the song is 12mb, you'd type in 6m to split the files into two for posting separately. The two files would total exactly 12mb.

If the track is 20mb, you'd choose 7m to accomodate the memory required in each file. The first two files will be 7mb and the third will automatically be zipped in 6mb

If 25mb, you'd choose 9m to split into 3 files.

In WINRAR you'd be filling in only one figure in the space for number of bytes, e.g. 7m.

Don't let the number of bytes throw you off. Just enter a round number and put 'm' after it (megabytes), e.g. 9m.
gkshyam
Wow.....Thanks a lot......You really cleared a BIGGG Load Off my head, when you said, no need to mention in Bytes, 'M' will do......That was a Big Relief for sure....smile1.gif wink2.gif..HEHEHEHE.....

Will Work on that now, and upload the two songs soon. Thanks again for that info!!!! smile1.gif
gkshyam
WELL!!!!!!!! PHEW!!!!! Me back on this thread AT LAST!!!!!! And this time.....with the uploads.......SUCCESSFULLY!!!!!!!! gift.gif

Well, I sincerely thank Unni, from the bottom of my heart, for helping me out with that 'technical advice'. Really worked wonders.... smile1.gif bow.gif ........So.......here's the first song from that Live Concert - Fantasy On Vedic Chants by Dr.L.Subramaniam (Split in 3 parts of 9MB, 9MB and 8.08MB respectively)

ENJOOOOOYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and do reply........on how did you find it..... bye.gif smile1.gif thumbs-up.gif
gkshyam
The Second part of "FANTASY ON VEDIC CHANTS" smile1.gif
gkshyam
Third and Final Part of "FANTASY ON VEDIC CHANTS" smile1.gif
gkshyam
The next song titled "DOUBLE CONCERTO" (Duration: 30:26 mins)
Dr.L.Subramaniam - Violinist/Composer
Maxim Fedotov - Violin
Orchestra - Moscow Radio and TV Large Symphony Orchestra
Conductor - Maestro Vladimir Fedoseyev

This one's in 4 parts - 3 parts of 9MB each and the 4th part of 1.44MB. This work was written for two violins. Really good composition, and nice experimental fusion of Western Symphony and Indian classical music.
bow.gif clap1.gif

ENJOYYYY AGAIN!!!!!! and do reply!!!!!
gkshyam
And Here's the Second Part of "DOUBLE CONCERTO" smile1.gif
gkshyam
Here's the THIRD part of "DOUBLE CONCERTO" smile1.gif
gkshyam
And Here's the 4th and final part of "DOUBLE CONCERTO"......Hope you loved this musical work by the Maestro.........Do reply..... smile1.gif gift.gif
gkshyam
Hey....something important.........Dunno whether you have been following the debate that was going on on the Chit-o-Chat and Fusion forum, regarding allowing u/l of Indo-Western fusion stuff....And final decision to which everybody will be abiding to, is that its a strict No-No.

So Unni and Pradeep, if you could help clarify whether the above uploads fall into that banned category, would be great. Plss don't misunderstand, since these songs had been uploaded much before that argument started off, Hence PLEASE EXCUSE ME, if I've violated the rules by u/ling them. Incase its the case, then you may be free to remove those u/ls or inform me accordingly, on which I shall do the same. Thanking you for your co-operation on this. thumbs-up.gif smile.gif
unni
GKS:

I went back and checked the discussions and also did some research on FANTASY ON VEDIC CHANTS/DOUBLE CONCERTO.

Both feature western orchestras, and the albums were published by western companies.

The approach we should take (when dealing with Fusion Music) has been formulated: that we won't upload tracks that involve western artists and western labels, old and/or new.

Hence, the uploads do fall in the banned category. No big deal, since they were uploaded before the discussions/decision.

But, in keeping with the policy, I'd suggest you delete the attachments.

Thanks, GKS.
gkshyam
Moderators.....plsss help.......Can this thread be "MOVED" to the fusion forum??? I tried doint that (being the moderator of THIS thread) but couldn't find the way.......So....pls help.....I feel this thread would be better placed at the FUSION forum.... smile1.gif
gkshyam
..Also ....regarding the attachments here......I'm a bit busy currently.....and not finding time to sit and remove each of them......hope to do that soon......Or else......if HF needs them to be removed as early as possible.....I won't mind if the admin/moderators delete the attachments before I do.... thumbs-up.gif
gkshyam
Thanks a ton Admin for deleting the attachments on my behalf.....Saved a lot of work for me.......BTW........If you can also please oblige my request for moving this thread to the "FUSION" forum, it would be really nice of you......Please move it to the Fusion forum......

Thanks in advance...... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.