http://kishore-kumar.com/?p=420
One more article from Star & Style ( Nov 2 1979 ). The magazine was famous for a raising a few controversies about filmy stars, every now and then. Though there are lots of positives in this article, they did try with this one too to show a few negative aspects of Kishore. But there are people/fans who keep track of things and can bring them out, albeit much late i.e. after Kishoreda was no more. (My comments are in brackets)
Anyways as a birthday celebration, let us study this article, once again to the minutest details. Maybe we all can click with the "real kishore" !

Close Encounters With Kishore Kumar
by A. T. Jayanthi

When Kishore's number was dialled, the singer growled over the line, "Don't you know I don't give any interviews?" Well, we only want to talk about Lata Mangeshkar, what you feel about her, etc ( Journalists and their approach ! there you go !! we blame Kishoreda ! ) .
"If I have anything to say about Lata Mangeshkar, I'll ring her up and tell her myself," he countered.
We did the next best thing and gathered three figures who've known Kishore from different angles. Thankfully, they didn't offer to ring up Kishore personally instead of talking to us! ( smile1.gif) )

We hear that the name Kishore Kumar is synonymous with eccentricity. His colleagues in the Industry, when questioned. display wide and varied reactions towards the unpredictable singer. According to most of them, Kishore revels in doing strange things and getting into hot water. "His eccentricity is what makes him so endearing," says Pramod Chakravorthy. "One can't really denote his peculiar mannerisms as faults". Ex-wife Yogeeta shrugs him off declaring, "He is silly. But mind you, behind the eccentric front he's clever and sharp and does only what suits him." ( in the same magazine in their 2nd Jan 1976 issue - she said "I know that people call him a mad man. But he is not mad really. He only pretends to be like that. Kishore saab does this on purpose, otherwise there will be too many people disturbing him" )

Kalyanji says, "If you try to pull a fast one on him, he'll play along and in the end declare, 'I knew all along what you were up to but I enjoyed it very much and wanted to know how far you'd go!".

Kishore is the only man who boldly didn't buckle under the dictatorial emergency period. When during a particular instance Kishore refused to dance to the tune of Piper Sanjay Gandhi, he was banned totally by T.V. and All India Radio. Kishore, of course, still went on his own sweet way and didn't give a rap about the Government banning him because he was still very much sought after by the Industry wallahs.

It was Kalyanji who later went to Delhi in the guise of peace-maker. Kalyanji says today, "I did not do it for Kishore, he was least affected by what happened, but for the producers who had to suffer the brunt of his punishment though no fault of theirs. I went on behalf of the producers."
He continues, "There is no reason for Kishore's attitude or behaviour. In the process the man is torturing not only others but himself, too. Handled with care he'll respond beautifully. He's very nice to people he likes. Two months back we held a show in Calcutta, but since there was a minor riot near Bombay airport we never expected Kishore to arrive. However just a few minutes before the show, he drove to the hall straight from the airport, and sang full of gusto.

"He's very money-minded so the only hassle one can have with him is about money. You pay up on time and he's a sincere worker. When we stage our shows if we give him a few songs he'll say, 'aare yaar come on give me a few more.' Even during recording he'll willingly oblige with numerous retakes.

"Agreed he hates crowds, he's moody etc. but there are too many good points in his favour. Firstly, he's a terrific artiste. Secondly, he is 50, and his voice is still very good. It's very difficult to remain on top for about 30 years. In between he did quit the field for 10 to 12 years but believe me he can do anything. Paagal aadmi hain, it wouldn't surprise me if he suddenly told me, I'm resigning from tomorrow. Thirdly, he's very sincere about his work and always punctual. Fourthly, being an artist his observational powers are very strong and he's very quick in grasping what sort of intimation the situation and sequence demand. He often comes out with creative helpful advise."

The list from Kalyanji seemed never ending so I switched to Yogeeta for the negative side of Kishore's character. To my surprise, Yogeeta just looked disdainfully down her perfect nose and asked dryly, "Who's Kishore Kumar, I don't know him." This was the same girl who had chuckled gleefully when I met her sometime after her break-up saying, "He's so obsessed with money and his ever-increasing wealth" ( in the same magazine in their 2nd Jan 1976 issue - she said "Kanjoos? Yes he is. And he should be. I am also a Kanjoos. But Kishore saab is never kanjoos when he is with me) .
"Whenever he saw me he'd practically pounce on me and say dramatically, 'I know, I know you married me only so that you can lay your hands on my money" Yogeeta in the process gave an important insight into the tight-fisted Kishore.

True to the Bengali tradition Kishore had given Yogeeta carte blanche to buy jewels. The girl went and splurged and bought herself jewellery worth a lakh but Kishore hasn't paid up yet. He paid only Rs 40,000 and poor Yogeeta is busy paying for her jewels ( hogwash. The idiotic journalism starts spreading rumors by not quoting exact words. Have to kill it there and then. In the same magazine in their 2nd Jan 1976 issue - she said in quotes "We go shopping together & he buys me lots of presents - saarees - jewellery etc - and ofcourse he pays for it ).
Kishore had also promised to take care of Yogeeta's family since he was the bread-winner but when the time came he didn't even provide for his wife ( same interview she says "Kishore saab hasn't asked me anything about Kiran Kumar. Now I am so happy with Kishore saab that I wonder why I was so silly about Kiran. I asked Kishore saab 'what have I given you?' He said, 'You're the best present I could ever get'. In Filmfare 16th Sept 1978 she says"Kishore saab remained indifferent to my families financial problems, for my family was accustomed to a very high standard of living when I was working. )

Yogeeta herself seemed quite puzzled as to why Kishore married her in the first place if he was going to be unreasonable ( in Filmfare 16th Sept 1978 she says "I've always been interested in marriage ever since I was a kid. Yes its true I was keener than Kishore saab to get married. In Star & Style 6th May 1977 she says "I married Kishore saab because I was obsessed with marriage. I waned to get married and I met this nice man, the age difference did not matter, and so I married him. My dimaag is not 100% perfect I know it...!"). Even after marriage he wouldn't allow her access to his bedroom. She was firmly forbidden from entering this private territory. ( all rumors as they were happily married whenever Yogita got time to visit Kishore after marriage. Yes she stayed with her mother , so that she can support her family and not let them miss her and be shaken emotionally. She visited Kishore only sometimes as per her wishes. She never stayed with Kishore for more than 2 days ( day time i.e. ) at a stretch, as confessed by her. Further she says "I married him on the sly, without telling my mother. That upset her badly and she would have been further upset if I had shifted out of the house immediately. So I used to stay with my mother until she was more composed. But somehow it turned into a permanent agreement ).

Yogeeta says, "I don't want to talk about Kishore until the divorce comes through. My lawyers have asked me not to talk about him even though it's unconditional, mutual divorce. Anyway it's past history, an experience I'd like to forget and it's unfair on my part to keep talking about him when he doesn't give interviews himself."

Kishore must be pleased about the mutual divorce since he won't have to pay any alimony. Yogeeta says fervently, "I hope atleast this convinces him that everybody is not out to have a go at his wealth. Who wants his money! Not me!." ( so what took the divorce exactly 3 years and 56 days - i.e. new year of 76/77 when she declared to 25th Feb 1980 !!! ??? :-) )

Shakti Samanta is heard to have said, "Pinky/Yogeeta don't let him get off so easily." Shaktida is justified in taking sides because according to reliable sources Kishore had the effrontery to demand Yogeeta's removal from "Khwaab". When Shaktida refused he promptly refused to sing for Mithun in that film or any of Mithun's forthcoming films. ( where does Mithun come into picture ?? Yes she was seeing him those days, but could not Kishore have rejected the film-only ? )

Mithun says, "Yes, I have heard that he's stopped singing for me but I don't know why. The only reason I can think of is that maybe he resents being friendly with Pinky because legally she's still his wife until the divorce comes through"
With a sudden change of mood, he snaps, "The man's being unreasonable. Why should he object to my being friendly with Pinky when he doesn't want her for himself?" ( So O clean man...why were you dating a married woman ? Mr Mithun Chakra does not know what his future wife had said in Filmfare's 16th Sept 1978 interview - "When we were splitting up he told me 'You were the one who forced the marriage, now why don't you try and make it work' ? This shows how desperate Kishoreda was and keen to make his atleast one marriage work ! )
"Anyway what can Mithun Chakraborty, a small fry, do if he refuses to sing for me. I have my ego and I haven't struggled for 10 years to plead with someone else. I don't think his not singing for me is going to affect my career because Rafi suits me better. My song sequences and dance numbers are more to the 'Lal chadi Maidhan khadi' style.
Tell me what could Kishore Kumar have done if someone outside the industry happened to be friendly to Pinky? Nothing. Anyway, like I told you, he can act funny with small timers like me, but come what may, he'll never refuse to sing for Amitabh. Amitabh sells for Rs 32 lakhs and the movie sells because of Amitabh and Amitabh alone. Not because Kishore Kumar happens to be singing for him. I would definitely appreciate it and be happy if he sings for me but if he doesn't, no one's at a loss!" ( Mr Mithun must have fallen flat on the face when Kishore refused to playback for Amitabh after a few years. He was the King of his mind and NEVER bowed to any pressure whatsoever. And chemistry of Amitabh-Kishore voice combination, nobody needs to tell how it worked for "the film" )

Despite his notorious eccentricity, Kishore, a man who once even refused his brother Ashok Kumar admittance to his house, is lauded by all his professional colleagues. They unanimously agree that he never gives them any trouble and is so totally involved in his work that once while singing a Bhajan for Kalyanji he geared himself up in a suitable costume and really got into the spirit of Bhajan singing.

One thing is certain - We've had so many super hits from him. There have been melodious songs like 'Oh Saathi Re' "Muquadar Ka Sikandar", 'Koyi Humdum na Raha' "Jhumroo", and thoofani songs like 'Kaike Paan Banaras' "Don". Kishore is as yet a mystery unrevealed. One can only scratch at the surface of the personality of this versatile talented artiste.

====================================

Note : If people are interested, I will one day put down all the various interviews of Yogita Bali, before, during and after marriage. No no..I WILL do it one day. It will then reveal the Real Kishore !