Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Yeh Gul(zar)istan Hamara

, Films of Gulzar

17 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yeh Gul(zar)istan Hamara, Films of Gulzar
swarapriya
post Apr 24 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #56

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Angels
Member No.: 36307

Anand (1971)

Here is a heart rendering touching story only Hrishida seems like capable of making. Rajesh in the title role is very endearing. The ease with which he goes through his role, even when he was aware of the eventual fate of his life, makes it one of his best performances as an actor. Amitabh in support gives a greatly subdued and understated performance complementing Rajesh's bursting enthusiam for life and love.

There are only four songs in this movie but they all are winners. I am uploading these in my first post. I am also including a poetry rcital by Amitabh from the movie. This is due to our fellow member Exon. Thank you very much Exon. In the second post I am uploading several specials. Here is the first set of songs ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Apr 24 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #57

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Concluding Songs from "Anand (1971)" ...

I am uploading several specials in this post. Two extended version songs are by the courtesy of the Forum members. Thank you. I am uploading Abhijeet's version of "Kahin Door" from his album "Salute to Legends". I am uploading the same song by Jagjit Singh. This song appeared in two of his collections; "Close to My Heart" and "In Sync". Lata sang the same song in a tribute to Mukesh in her album "Lata's Shraddhanjali-1". I am uploading it here. Also, I am uploading the same song with Manna Dey's introduction. This is from the album "Legends: Mukesh - The Soulful Voice (CD 4)". Finally I am uploading "Zaindagi" with Pankaj Udhas's introduction. This is from the album "Legends: Manna Dey - The Maestro (CD 4)".

Here are these songs ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 1 2010, 01:23 AM
Post #58

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Anubhav (1971)

The songs of “Anubhav”, meaning experience, have to be experienced to enjoy them. Geetaji was trying to put together order into her life after the tragic ending of her marriage to Guru Dutt who died leaving her life in shambles and complete disarray. She has to overcome her grief, raise three young children, and pay off debts. Any one of these could be unbearable burden for a common person, but Geetaji was no common person. She was an extraordinarily uncommon person, bestowed with mellifluously honeyed voice that swayed millions for decades. She has the will, determination and still a lot of fight left in her. She put together all of this to give one last try to sing these songs. And she did come through this very magnificently. The quiver in her voice was back. The lilt in her voice was back. The melancholy mixed with mesmerizingly musical magic that distinguished her voice was once again back.

Even her worst critics couldn’t believe that Geetaji could go back to her old form in singing the songs of this film. In her expressive voice these songs sprung to life. It gave her admirers so much hope for better things to come. Unfortunately, these songs, considered to be some of the best she sang, turned out to be her swan song. The very next year, basking in the glory of the success of the songs with which she was able to successfully recapture the magic, she finally succumbed to bad health. Geetaji was no more. But she lives forever in our hearts and our minds …

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post May 4 2010, 12:25 AM
Post #59

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6005

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Apr 30 2010, 12:53 PM) *

Anubhav (1971)

The songs of “Anubhav”, meaning experience, have to be experienced to enjoy them. Geetaji was trying to put together order into her life after the tragic ending of her marriage to Guru Dutt who died leaving her life in shambles and complete disarray. She has to overcome her grief, raise three young children, and pay off debts. Any one of these could be unbearable burden for a common person, but Geetaji was no common person. She was an extraordinarily uncommon person, bestowed with mellifluously honeyed voice that swayed millions for decades. She has the will, determination and still a lot of fight left in her. She put together all of this to give one last try to sing these songs. And she did come through this very magnificently. The quiver in her voice was back. The lilt in her voice was back. The melancholy mixed with mesmerizingly musical magic that distinguished her voice was once again back.

Even her worst critics couldn’t believe that Geetaji could go back to her old form in singing the songs of this film. In her expressive voice these songs sprung to life. It gave her admirers so much hope for better things to come. Unfortunately, these songs, considered to be some of the best she sang, turned out to be her swan song. The very next year, basking in the glory of the success of the songs with which she was able to successfully recapture the magic, she finally succumbed to bad health. Geetaji was no more. But she lives forever in our hearts and our minds …

Swarapriya

Heart-felt thanks for such a wonderful write-up on of the most melodious musical scores of the seventies. As you rightly mentioned, all the four songs of Anubhav have to be experienced/felt to truly appreciate them. It was actually a low budget art film for which the producer used Tanuja's own flat for most of the shooting. The producers could not afford more expensive composers and hence went back to Kanu Roy who had given haunting music for Uski Kahani a few years earlier. In place of seasoned lyricist Kaifi sahab, came in relative newcomer Gulzar and Kapil Kumar. (No information is available on the net about the second lyricist who wrote such soothing and poignant songs for this film.) By this time, making films in color had become a norm, yet this film was made in black and white, obviously due to the financial constraints.

Geeta ji was trying her hand at acting ("Badhu Baran" released in 1967), composing music (by nick name Pyaasi, she was supposed to compose music for a film), doing stage shows and cutting Pooja records in Bengali during the late sixties and early seventies. Kanu Roy once again trusted the voice of Geeta ji and gave her all the three solos for this film. (Till date, many music lovers have this mis-concept that Kanu Roy is Geeta ji's brother and that is why he had her sing these songs. The fact is that Kanu Roy is not related to Geeta ji at all). She poured her heart in these songs and made them memorable. The softness, the sweetness, the pain, the whispering, the laughter, the smile, the hope..all are so evident in her voice. She did not mean to, but did prove that she still had it in her, given an opportunity. Kanu Roy made minimum use of orchestration (partly forced due to financial constraints) yet created four memorable songs, his lifetime best. Manna da sounded so soft and so touching in the song "Phir kahi koi phool khilaa". His voice had that dreamy quality to carry off the unconventional lyrics of that song.

Hats off to Gulzar sahab, Geeta ji , Manna da and the unsung genius of Kapil Kumar and Kanu Roy for giving us such memorable songs to cherish forever.

Please visit www.geetadutt.com
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 5 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #60

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ May 3 2010, 11:55 AM) *

Anubhav (1971)

Swarapriya

Heart-felt thanks for such a wonderful write-up on of the most melodious musical scores of the seventies. As you rightly mentioned, all the four songs of Anubhav have to be experienced/felt to truly appreciate them. It was actually a low budget art film for which the producer used Tanuja's own flat for most of the shooting. The producers could not afford more expensive composers and hence went back to Kanu Roy who had given haunting music for Uski Kahani a few years earlier. In place of seasoned lyricist Kaifi sahab, came in relative newcomer Gulzar and Kapil Kumar. (No information is available on the net about the second lyricist who wrote such soothing and poignant songs for this film.) By this time, making films in color had become a norm, yet this film was made in black and white, obviously due to the financial constraints.

Geeta ji was trying her hand at acting ("Badhu Baran" released in 1967), composing music (by nick name Pyaasi, she was supposed to compose music for a film), doing stage shows and cutting Pooja records in Bengali during the late sixties and early seventies. Kanu Roy once again trusted the voice of Geeta ji and gave her all the three solos for this film. (Till date, many music lovers have this mis-concept that Kanu Roy is Geeta ji's brother and that is why he had her sing these songs. The fact is that Kanu Roy is not related to Geeta ji at all). She poured her heart in these songs and made them memorable. The softness, the sweetness, the pain, the whispering, the laughter, the smile, the hope..all are so evident in her voice. She did not mean to, but did prove that she still had it in her, given an opportunity. Kanu Roy made minimum use of orchestration (partly forced due to financial constraints) yet created four memorable songs, his lifetime best. Manna da sounded so soft and so touching in the song "Phir kahi koi phool khilaa". His voice had that dreamy quality to carry off the unconventional lyrics of that song.

Hats off to Gulzar sahab, Geeta ji , Manna da and the unsung genius of Kapil Kumar and Kanu Roy for giving us such memorable songs to cherish forever.

Thank you for filling in so many details about this movie, Parag. I wasn't of aware of all these details and thank you for enlightening us.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 10 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #61

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Guddi (1971)

Jaya Bhaduri made her first adult acting debut with this movie. In 1963 she appeared as a child artiste in Satyajit Ray's story about Calcutta, "Mahanagar". She has to wait for another eight years to grow up before she got an opportunity to play a lead role in Hrishida's "Guddi". But its not Jaya who stole the show. It was the singing of a new playback singer named Vani Jairam that was the talk of the town.

Vani, a classical Carnatic singer by training, was giving a public performance when she was spotted by Vasant Desai, the music director for this film. He was about to compose music for "Guddi" and signed Vani immediately to sing all three songs for the movie. Vani became an overnight sensation and a celebrity with these songs, especially for that unforgettable "Bol Re Papeehara". I don't know if there exists a bird called papeehara. If indeed it does, I hope it sounds as sweet as Vani.

The song "Bol Re" was based on a Hindustani raga, Miyan Malahar, and Vani's classical training background immensely helped in delivering a classic. It is one of those songs that seem to stay with you forever. Love it.

Jairam was recognized for her great singing debut with several awards. She received The Lions International Best Promising Singer Award, The All India Cine Goers Association Award, The All India Film-Goers Association Award, and the Tansen Sammaan Award. In the years to come she won even more accolades; among them three times The Best Singer National Award.

Here are the three sweet and melodious songs from the pleasing voice of Vani ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 16 2010, 09:24 PM
Post #62

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Mere Apne (1971)

This was the great actress Meena Kumari's last picture. During the shooting of the movie she was seriously ill. Gulzar who wrote lyrics for all the songs of this film intended the song "Roz Akeli" to be picturized on Meenaji. But beacuse of Meena's poor health the shooting of the song has to be cancelled several times. Unfortunately Meenaji never recovered and died before the song could be picturized. Gulzarji, who also was the director of the movie, has to settle down on picturizing the song as a backgorund song.

Interestingly the tune for this song was originally created apparently by the great Burmanda for a Bengali song "Meghla Nishi". Manna also recorded the same song earlier. Salilda made a few orchestrizational changes and turned it into one of the memorable tunes sung beautifully by Lata.

Other songs from this album are also equally beautiful. Manna has a nice solo. There is a popular duet by Kishoreda and Mukesh. Also, Kishoreda has a beautiful solo in "Koi Hota". Great stuff from Salilda.

I am uploading all the songs from the original sound track album in the first post. The second post has some of the extended versions. Now for the first set of songs ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 16 2010, 09:30 PM
Post #63

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Concluding Songs from "Mere Apne (1971)" ...

I am uploading below three extended version songs from this album. These all are by the courtesy of the Forum members. Thank you ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 22 2010, 01:28 AM
Post #64

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Raat Ki Uljhan (1971)

Most of the songs from this album are quite nice. There is a fine duet by Geetaji & Rafi Saab, "Gul Khile" and an equally fine duet by Krishna Kalle & Hemantda, "In Bhaaron". Two solos by Krishna and Sabita are also very appealing.

All these songs are by the courtesy of the Forum members. Thank you. Now for the songs ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mmuk2004
post May 22 2010, 11:03 AM
Post #65

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 907

Thank you so much for all the songs. Gave managed to complete quite a few of my albums thanks to your incredibly organized and informative uploads. Had never heard the Ranu Mukherjee songs of Do Dooni Char before. I can quite imagine Tanuja singing it on screen with that slightly heavy voice. The Angoor album is more polished and fanciful, but this one is more down to earth... lyric wise I mean ofc... tongue1.gif

"This isn't right, this isn't even wrong."
Wolfgang Pauli (1900-1958)

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 22 2010, 11:57 AM
Post #66

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ May 21 2010, 10:33 PM) *

Thank you so much for all the songs. Gave managed to complete quite a few of my albums thanks to your incredibly organized and informative uploads. Had never heard the Ranu Mukherjee songs of Do Dooni Char before. I can quite imagine Tanuja singing it on screen with that slightly heavy voice. The Angoor album is more polished and fanciful, but this one is more down to earth... lyric wise I mean ofc... tongue1.gif

You're very very welcome indeed. Appreciate all the kind words. Cheers. -S
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 27 2010, 05:13 AM
Post #67

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Seema (1971)

Shankar & Jaikishan composed music for a film of the same name "Seema" in 1955. The songs from that album are still considered to be classics and indeed beautiful to listen to even today. Sxiteen years later, the music duo is back again, composng once again for another movie by the same name "Seema". That just goes to show the durability of this incomparable duo. In this album, only Rafi Saab returns from the old album, here for a couple of duets.

I understand that times have changed. World in general has changed. Situations have changed. The music tastes have changed. Yet, eventhough the songs from this album are passable, they don't even come close to anything from that old album. At least in this case, for me, definitely old is gold.

Now for details of the songs and the songs themselves ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 31 2010, 01:51 AM
Post #68

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Anokha Daan (1972)

Here is another winner from Salilda. There are several good songs in this album. All songs are by the courtesy of the Forum members. Here are these ...

This post has been edited by swarapriya: May 31 2010, 11:38 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sangeetbhakt
post May 31 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #69

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1288

SP,

The heroine in "Anokha daan" is Archana (not Archana Puran Singh, who would have been 9 or 10 when this film came out :-) ) The film starred Anil Dhawan, Zaheera, Kabir Bedi and Archana, among others.
Archana made her debut in "BuDDa mil gaya". Don't think she did too many films. Zaheera was in a few films including "Gamber" and then faded into oblivion.
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 31 2010, 11:39 AM
Post #70

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(sangeetbhakt @ May 30 2010, 09:30 PM) *

SP,

The heroine in "Anokha daan" is Archana (not Archana Puran Singh, who would have been 9 or 10 when this film came out :-) ) The film starred Anil Dhawan, Zaheera, Kabir Bedi and Archana, among others.
Archana made her debut in "BuDDa mil gaya". Don't think she did too many films. Zaheera was in a few films including "Gamber" and then faded into oblivion.

Thank you very mcuh SB. I made changes to my posting based on your suggestion. Cheers. -S

+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 06:16 AM