Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Classical/semi-classican Compositions That Inspired Film Songs

, Companion to the Sangeet Ke Sitarey thread "Famous Songs And Thei

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Classical/semi-classican Compositions That Inspired Film Songs, Companion to the Sangeet Ke Sitarey thread "Famous Songs And Thei
abhayp
post Nov 30 2008, 04:11 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 335

In the Sangeet ke Sitarey forum, Faraaj has started a thread about film songs inspired by earlier songs. In many cases, the inspiration for a song is a classical/semi-classical bandish. This thread is meant for the longer classical and semi-classical pieces; I am starting it here so that classical music fans can also access these pieces easily.

The first piece being uploaded here is a "kajri" that inspired the famous Lata song from "Udan Khatola" - "more sai.nyaa.Njii utare.nge paar ho nadiyaa dhiire baho". It has been sung by many singers; the version being uploaded here is by the great Padmavati Shaligram (Gokhale) of the Jaipur Atrauli gharana. It is taken from a recording of a live concert where she also sang a wonderful Nand. The kajri is 18:16 minutes long and is encoded in mp3 at 128 kbps.

The post talking about the film song can be found at

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...amp;st=15&#

Warm regards,
Abhay

This post has been edited by abhayp: Dec 12 2008, 03:32 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Nov 30 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 58864

smile.gif

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo

There is only one better thing than music - live music. - Jacek Bukowski

I hate music, especially when it's played. - Jimmy Durante

No good opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible. - W. H. Auden
+Quote Post
abhayp
post Dec 7 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

The thread continues with a Miyan Ki Malhar drut bandish, "bole re papiiharaa". The version uploaded here is by Gangubai Hangal and her daughter Krishna Hangal.

The film song can be accessed at http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...id=554675&# (post # 45).

Raaga Miyan Ki Malhar
Bandish: bole re papiiharaa
Duration: 6:06 minutes
Encoding: mp3 @ 160 kbps

Warm regards,
Abhay

This post has been edited by abhayp: Dec 7 2008, 08:02 PM
+Quote Post
abhayp
post Dec 7 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Next, we come to the famous thumri, "kaun galii gayo shyaam". Details and upload of its two film versions can be found in post # 46 at this link:

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...id=554686&#

The recital being posted here is a live recording of Rasoolan Bai. As I said in the other thread, my (completely) untutored ears feel that there is a strong Jogiya element in her rendition of what is traditionally sung as a Khamaj thumri. Expert views are more than welcome!

The recording is 9:42 minutes long; the encoding is in mp3 @ 160 kbps.

(A short extract of this is included along with the film songs at the above link.)

Warm regards,
Abhay

This post has been edited by abhayp: Dec 12 2008, 03:33 AM
+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Dec 8 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Abhayp

Really enjoying your uploads! The snippets on the SKS forum are useful too but I obviously prefer hearing the complete piece.

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo

No good opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible. - W. H. Auden
+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Dec 8 2008, 01:54 PM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Rasoolan Bai is phenomenal! I definitely need more stuff by her...

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
abhayp
post Dec 8 2008, 03:07 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Two marvellous renditions of the canonical Nat Bihag bandish, "jhan jhan jhan jhan paayal baaje", are being uploaded here. The details about the songs inspired by this bandish - and uploads of the inspired songs - can be accessed in post #49 at the following link:

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...amp;st=45&#

The first classical version is a short rendition by 'aaftaab-e-mausiiqii' Faiyaz Khan of the Agra gharana. A 78 rpm recording that has been released subsequently on LP and CD, this rendition is a great illustration of how the essence of a raaga can be demonstrated in just over 3 minutes - 3:01 minutes, to be precise. The version being uploaded here has been encoded in mp3 @ 188 kbps (VBR).

A longer rendition (10:40 minutes) comes from Mallikarjun Mansur - and shows clearly why he is regarded as one of the best singers in the Hindustani tradition. Mansur has recorded this bandish both in drut laya (the version uploaded here) and in madhya-laya (a 21-minute rendition). The former recording is uploaded below, encoded in mp3 @ 128 kbps.

Warm regards,
Abhay

This post has been edited by abhayp: Dec 8 2008, 04:12 PM
+Quote Post
abhayp
post Dec 8 2008, 03:09 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Dec 8 2008, 01:54 PM) *

Rasoolan Bai is phenomenal! I definitely need more stuff by her...

I shall upload more pieces by her but it will take a few days - I am going to have very limited connectivity for from the 10th till the 22nd. Am very happy to find a fellow-fan of Rasoolan Bai!

Warm regards,
Abhay
+Quote Post
Kaansen
post Dec 9 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 63048

Abhayji,

This is indeed a fabulous thread and the postings so far have been really terrific.

I just had a humble request. If it were possible for you to post the Rasoolanbai pieces in a lossless format such as flac, that will be greatly appreciated. Of course, hamaraforums will not permit it but I am sure you will find many decent services that you can use. Especially if you are posting pieces that are not commercially available.

Cheers,

Kaansen

QUOTE(abhayp @ Dec 8 2008, 03:07 PM) *

Two marvellous renditions of the canonical Nat Bihag bandish, "jhan jhan jhan jhan paayal baaje", are being uploaded here. The details about the songs inspired by this bandish - and uploads of the inspired songs - can be accessed in post #49 at the following link:

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...amp;st=45&#

The first classical version is a short rendition by 'aaftaab-e-mausiiqii' Faiyaz Khan of the Agra gharana. A 78 rpm recording that has been released subsequently on LP and CD, this rendition is a great illustration of how the essence of a raaga can be demonstrated in just over 3 minutes - 3:01 minutes, to be precise. The version being uploaded here has been encoded in mp3 @ 188 kbps (VBR).

A longer rendition (10:40 minutes) comes from Mallikarjun Mansur - and shows clearly why he is regarded as one of the best singers in the Hindustani tradition. Mansur has recorded this bandish both in drut laya (the version uploaded here) and in madhya-laya (a 21-minute rendition). The former recording is uploaded below, encoded in mp3 @ 128 kbps.

Warm regards,
Abhay

+Quote Post
bibhas
post Dec 12 2008, 02:54 AM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1314

clap1.gif clap1.gif clap1.gif clap1.gif clap1.gif clap1.gif clap1.gif
Fantastic pair of threads Abhay and Faraaj!

A science that does not deliver us to the portals of metaphysics is a failed science and a religion that does not embrace physics is not grounded in reality.
+Quote Post
abhayp
post Dec 29 2008, 02:43 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Next in this thread is the Malkauns bandish, "mandir dekh Dare". The canonical rendition of this by Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, and the Rafi rendition inspired by it, can be found in post # 59 on this link:

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...id=560374&#

A longer rendition by Kankana Bannerjee, released in the mid-1990s on a Rhythm House release, is being uploaded here (9:29 min, mp3 @ 160 kbps):

If anyone has a longer - read concert - rendition of this by BGAK, please do upload it!

Warm regards,
Abhay

This post has been edited by abhayp: Dec 29 2008, 02:49 PM
+Quote Post
abhayp
post Dec 30 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Next is a bandish in Raag Bihag that has inspired film songs on both sides of the Radcliffe Line - "laT ulajhii sulajhaa jaa baalam". There have been many Hindustani vocal renditions of this bandish. The two chosen here are by Jasraj and by Kankana Bannerjee. The Jasraj version comes from the recording of a live concert given at Kolkata in 1989; the Kankana Bannerjee version first appeared on an MHV LP of hers in 1984 and has since been re-released on cassette and CD.

Since Kankana Bannerjee counts among her guru-s Pratap Narayan, elder brother of Jasraj, it is natural that the two renditions have a lot in common; the beauty lies in the fact that they both stamp their individuality on their respective renditions very clearly!

A small snippet of the KB rendition - and the two films songs inspired by it, one sung by Noor Jehan and the other by Geeta Dutt - can be found in post # 60 here:

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...id=560701&#

The complete versions of the classical renditions appear below, both encoded in mp3 @ 160 kbps. First, the Jasraj version, which is 9:14 minutes long:

The Kankana Bannerjee version, which is 4:48 minutes long:

In their original form, both renditions are followed by another canonical Bihag bandish: "dekho morii ra.ng me.n bhigoye Daarii". The Jasraj recording - and, indeed, the complete concert - is available for listening on MusicIndiaOnline. If anyone is interested in the Kankana Bannerjee version, please let me know and I will post it here.

Warm regards,
Abhay

This post has been edited by abhayp: Dec 30 2008, 06:14 PM
+Quote Post
Kaansen
post Dec 30 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 63048

Abhayji,

This is turning into a superb thread. I was really not aware of the Rafi rendition.

I am uploading Bade Ghulam Ali's "Mandir Dekh Dare" from the released AIR archives.
It is a zip file, mp3 encoded at 192K and duration is 12:49.

Look forward to many more interesting posts from you on this subject.

Cheers,

Kaansen

QUOTE(abhayp @ Dec 29 2008, 02:43 PM) *

Next in this thread is the Malkauns bandish, "mandir dekh Dare". The canonical rendition of this by Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, and the Rafi rendition inspired by it, can be found in post # 59 on this link:

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...id=560374&#

A longer rendition by Kankana Bannerjee, released in the mid-1990s on a Rhythm House release, is being uploaded here (9:29 min, mp3 @ 160 kbps):

If anyone has a longer - read concert - rendition of this by BGAK, please do upload it!

Warm regards,
Abhay

+Quote Post
abhayp
post Dec 30 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE(Kaansen @ Dec 30 2008, 10:18 PM) *

Abhayji,

This is turning into a superb thread. I was really not aware of the Rafi rendition.

I am uploading Bade Ghulam Ali's "Mandir Dekh Dare" from the released AIR archives.

Thanks a ton for the compliment - and thanks a thousand times for the recording! I didn't know a longer rendition had been released.

Many more songs to come in this thread yet!

Warm regards,
Abhay
+Quote Post
Prabhakar
post Dec 31 2008, 08:17 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 620

There is also Anup Jalota version of Mandir Dekh Dare.

I have it on a casette but some reason my software for converting music from casettes to mp3 format has failed repeatedly so I can not share the piece with you. Hope someone else has it and will be kind enough to upload.

Prabhakar

QUOTE(abhayp @ Dec 30 2008, 11:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Kaansen @ Dec 30 2008, 10:18 PM) *

Abhayji,

Thanks a ton for the compliment - and thanks a thousand times for the recording! I didn't know a longer rendition had been released.

Many more songs to come in this thread yet!

Warm regards,
Abhay

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 11:54 PM