Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Melodious Romantic Songs : Solos And Duets

, No sadness please.

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Melodious Romantic Songs : Solos And Duets, No sadness please.
parag_sankla
post Jun 21 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6005

I am starting a new thread dedicated to soft and romantic solos and duets of Geeta ji with various male playback singers like Rafi sahab, Mukesh ji, Kishoreda, Hemantada, Manna Dey ji and G M Durrani.

Contributions are most welcome from all, no sad songs please. Only soft romantic solos and duets please..

I am starting this thread with an all time personal favorite true-blue romantic song from the film "Jaan Pehchaan"(1950). The song is composed by Khemchand Prakash sahab and lyrics by Shakeel Badayuni sahab. The audio was shared by a generous HF member some time back.

Araman bhare dil ki lagan
Geeta Dutt , Talat Mahmood
Jaan Pahechaan (1950)
Khemchand Prakash
Shakeel Badayuni
160 KBPS
03.48 min
mp3

Picturised on Raj Kapoor and Nargis, this sweet and soft romantic song is sung by Talat Mahmood sahab and Geeta ji. By seeing the video, it seems like a dream sequence.

I had an audio cassette of duets of Geeta ji and Talat sahab and I used to play this song over and over again. I still enjoy this song and hope that all those who love soft romantic songs will appreciate this one.

Here is the link of the video of this sweet song on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQyncFAde5Q

This post has been edited by parag_sankla: Jun 23 2008, 01:34 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
Please visit www.geetadutt.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Jun 21 2008, 02:16 AM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Here is a lovely duet from another early fifties film, this time filmed on Ajit and Manorama (?). The singers are the great Mohd Rafi sahab and Geeta ji. The melody is composed by Chitragupta ji who never made to the top bracket of composers in spite of giving melodious music film after film and immense talent. The wordings are by the veteran Dina Nath Madhok who was good at words and music too. (He is the same lyricist who penned the superhit songs of Rattan)

Badi mushkil se aisi sham aayee hain
Mohd Rafi , Geeta Dutt
Tarang (1952)
Chitragupta
D N Madhok
128 KBPS
03.13 min
mp3

Audio courtesy HF members

Only after joinng HF I came to know that Geeta ji sang maximum no of songs composed by Chitragupta ji. This meastro also composed maximum number of duets of Rafi sahab and Geeta ji.

I could not neither find youtube video of this song nor any decent pics of the stars Ajit and the heroine Manorama (as per IMDB).
Its almost impossible to get pics of lyricists, so search on pics of Madhok sahab did not give any results. I am posting a pic of Chitragupta ji and a pic of Rafi sahab with Geeta ji.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Jun 21 2008, 02:42 AM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Very rarely one will relate a soft romantic (nearly sensuous) song composed by Shanker Jaikishen ji to Geeta Dutt, with whom the composer duo sparingly worked. Dev Anand's Love Marriage (1959) has not one but two songs by Geeta ji and both are unique in their own way. The jazzy fast-paced duet "Dil se dil takarayein" with Rafi sahab is a relatively popular number, but I am talking about the other song, a solo, picturized on the actress Mala Sinha. "Kareeb aao na tadapao humein kehna hain kuchh tumse tumhaare kanon mein" is a super soft romantic number. The sensuousness is so subtle !

wub.gif

I am not able to get the name of the lyricist, so I am assuming it is either Shaliendra ji or Hasarat Jaipuri ji.

Once again I could not find a video/youtube link for this song, so it will be great if some one can help with that.

Karib Aao Na tadapao
Geeta Dutt
Love Marriage (1959)
Shanker Jaikishen
Lyrics : Shailendra or Hasarat Jaipuri
160 KBPS
04.05 min
mp3 CDQ

Thanks Venkat for correcting on the actress.

This post has been edited by parag_sankla: Jun 21 2008, 11:33 PM

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Jun 21 2008, 03:15 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Geeta ji has sung some comic songs (Main tere pyar mein - Ziddi) and some bhajan styled songs (Aan milo aan milo - Devdas) with the veteran singer Manna Dey sahab. Here is one special romantic song "Woh dekho udhar chaand nikala gagan mein from an unknown film Roopkumari (1956). I myself got introduced to this song after I joined HF.

The beautiful lyrics of this song are credited to B D Mishra. I have not read anything about this lyricist. It will be great if any one can share some information on him. The sweet song is composed by another veteran composer Shri Naath (SN) Triapthi ji.

Just like his assistant Chitragupta ji, SN Tripathi got type-cast in certain genre of films and could not make it to the top bracket. Tripathi ji was trained in classical music and that richness shows in his compositions.

Woh dekho udhar chaand
Geeta Dutt , Manna Dey
Roopkumari (1956)
S N Tripathi
B D Mishra
96 KBPS
03.24 min
mp3

Here is some information from the net on Tripathi sahab

http://www.downmelodylane.com/sntripathi.html

Actor, singer, composer, story and screenplay writer and film maker. The Late Shri Nath Tripathi was a man of many parts and talents. Many creative artistes have achieved greatness and immortality in the Indian film industry but only a few have displayed the range of versatility that S. N. Tripathi did with such consummate ease. S. N. Tripathi's main field of endeavour were the much-neglected, much scorned mythologicals to which he brought an aura of credibility thanks to his scholarship and painstaking research. Of course, much more would be required before S. N. Tripathi's immense contribution to the Indian film industry can be assessed properly.

Shri Nath Tripathi was born in a Brahmin family of Kashi (Benaras, U.P.) on 14th March 1913. His grand father Pandit Ganesh Dutt Tripathi was principal of Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Kashi and his father Pandit Damodar Dutt Thakur was principal of Government high school, Kashi. He completed his education from Banaras. He did his B.Sc. from Allahabad. He took classical music training from V N Bhatkhande's Morris College of Music, Lucknow. He took light classical and folk music training from Maina Devi, Lucknow. He earned himself the degree of 'Sangeet Praveen' from Prayag Sangeet Samiti and 'Sangeet Visharad' from Morris Music College.

He went to Bombay and joined Bombay Talkies in 1935 as a violinist. He then joined music director Saraswati Devi as an assistant at a salary of Rs. 100 per month. He got his first break in Jivan Naiya as a singer ('Ae Ri Daiya Lachak Lachak Chalo..') in 1936. Jivan Naiya was also the first film of Ashok Kumar. He left Bombay Talkies in 1938, his last film with Bombay Talkies was Bhabhi (1938). In 1939 he got his first independent break as a music director in 'Chandan', which ultimately got released after two years in 1941. He composed his first song 'Nanha Sa Dil Deti Hoon..', sung by Rajkumari and Tripathi himself. He got his first success as a music director with Panghat (1943).

Besides music, Tripathi also tried his hand in acting. He got his first chance to act, in a film called 'Ram Bhakt Hanumaan' (1948), he played Hanuman in the film. He acted in many films in between. But he persued his career as a music director. He created some beautiful songs for the films like, Uttara Abhimanyu (1946), Ratan Manjari (1955), Janam Janam Ke Phere (1957), Pakshiraj (1959), Rani Roopmati (1959), Laal Quila (1960), Sangeet Samrat Tansen (1962) etc.

His first directorial venture was 'Ram Hanuman Yudhh' in 1959. He directed few more films after that, like, Kavi Kalidas (1959), Pakshiraj (1959), Rani Roopmati (1960), Amrit Manthan (1961), Piya Milan Ki Aas (1961), Sangeet Samrat Tansen (1962), Shiv Parvati (1962), Dev Kanya (1963), Maharaja Vikram (1965), Kunwari (1966) etc.

He was a many-splendoured personality. He composed music, wrote dialogues and stories for many regional films also. He died on 28 th March 1988, in Bombay.

This post has been edited by parag_sankla: Jun 21 2008, 03:17 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Jun 21 2008, 05:33 AM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Another melodious soft romantic duet now this time with the composer and co-singer Hemant Kumar sahab. The song flows like one is walking on the clouds. Majrooh sahab has penned the imaginative lyrics and the song is filmed on Mala Sinha the venus of Indian Cinema, Madhubala and Pradeep Kumar. Yes, you guessed it right, I am referring to the song "Chale hum kahan..kaho chale hum kahan" from the film Police(1958).

The tune is originally composed by Hemantda in Bengali for the song "Tumi je amar" which was sung by Geeta ji as a solo song.

I am uploading the original song as well for those who are interested in listening to it.

I have read that Geeta Dutt had a role to play in establishing Mala Sinha as an actress. Geeta ji recommended Mala, who was a relative newcomer to Guru Dutt for the role in Pyasa.

There are some more beautiful songs of Geeta ji filmed on Mala Sinha but another soft romantic duet of Geeta ji with Rafi sahab from Pyasa (Hum aap ki aankhon mein) is again an all time personal favorite of mine.

Details of the Hindi song :

Chale hum kahan
Geeta Dutt , Hemant Kumar
Police (1958)
Hemant Kumar
Majrooh
160 KBPS
03.26 min
mp3

Details of the Bengali song :

Tumi je amar
Geeta Dutt
Harano Sur (1957)
Hemant Kumar
128 KBPS
04.04 min
mp3

Here is the youtube link for the Bengali song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-2Xx74syXI

Movie: Harano Sur (1957)
Cast: Uttam Kumar, Suchitra Sen, Pahadi Sanyal, Bikash Roy

This post has been edited by parag_sankla: Jun 21 2008, 07:46 PM

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Jun 21 2008, 05:38 AM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

The next one is a foot tapping number from the rhythm king O P Nayyar from the film Musafirkhana (1955). Its a duet of Rafi sahab and Geeta ji filmed on Karan Diwan (Rattan fame) and Shyama (Aarpaar fame).

Achha ji maaf kar do thoda insaaf kar do
dil par joh teer chalaye unka hisaab kar do

Its a chhed-chhad song with romantic lure and has a typical OP stamp on it. It was 1955 and still Geeta was singing for OP, unlike the later years when it was all the way Asha.

Youtube link for this song is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOCIhWxUdvo

Achha ji maaf kar do
Mohd Rafi, Geeta Dutt
Musafirkhana (1955)
O P Nayyar
Majrooh
160 KBPS
04.00 min
mp3

Cheers
Parag

This post has been edited by parag_sankla: Jun 21 2008, 07:21 AM

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
Reeth
post Jun 21 2008, 02:29 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6151

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jun 21 2008, 05:33 AM) *

Another melodious soft romantic duet now this time with the composer and co-singer Hemant Kumar sahab. The song flows like one is walking on the clouds. Majrooh sahab has penned the imaginative lyrics and the song is filmed on Mala Sinha and Pradeep Kumar. Yes, you guessed it right, I am referring to the song "Chale hum kahan..kaho chale hum kahan" from the film Police(1958).

The tune is originally composed by Hemantda in Bengali for the song "Tumi je amar" which was sung by Geeta ji as a solo song.
I am uploading the original song as well for those who are interested in listening to it.

I have read that Geeta Dutt had a role to play in establishing Mala Sinha as an actress. Geeta ji recommended Mala, who was a relative newcomer to Guru Dutt for the role in Pyasa.

There are some more beautiful songs of Geeta ji filmed on Mala Sinha but another soft romantic duet of Geeta ji with Rafi sahab from Pyasa (Hum aap ki aankhon mein) is again an all time personal favorite of mine.

Details of the Hindi song :

Chale hum kahan
Geeta Dutt , Hemant Kumar
Police (1958)
Hemant Kumar
Majrooh
160 KBPS
03.26 min
mp3

Details of the Bengali song :

Tumi je amar
Geeta Dutt
Harano Sur (1957)
Hemant Kumar
128 KBPS
04.04 min
mp3

Here is the youtube link for the Bengali song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-2Xx74syXI

Movie: Harano Sur (1957)
Cast: Uttam Kumar, Suchitra Sen, Pahadi Sanyal, Bikash Roy

Lovely selection of songs Parag......However Police had a starcast of Pradeep Kumar and Madhubala not Mala sinha, i have
seen the film, and it has 2 more great duets by geeta dutt.......Oh oh oh baby , and chup jaa hamare dil mein....all of them with Hemant kumar

This post has been edited by Reeth: Jun 21 2008, 02:30 PM

The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives
by altering their attitudes of mind

-William James
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Jun 21 2008, 07:43 PM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Hi Reeth

Thanks for correcting me, obviously I have not seen the movie. I just went by the information on Earthmusic (which is incorrect many a times). I should have cross-checked with IMDB.

Best Regards
Parag

+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Jun 21 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Another soft and foot tapping romantic duet from the evergreen O P Nayyar sahab. This time its again Rafi sahab giving company to Geeta ji for the film CID. The song is filmed on Dev sahab and Shakila who got promoted from being a vamp in Aarpaar to the leading lady in CID (both films produced by Guru Dutt). The uniqueness of this song is that all the stanzas are sung by Geeta ji and Rafi sahab only sings the mukhda. This has been recently discussed on Rafi sahab's forum recently and no doubt Rafi sahab modulates his heavenly voice to give special effect to those lines.

Aankhon hi aankhon mein ishara ho gaya
Mohd Rafi, Geeta Dutt
CID (1956)
O P Nayyar
Majrooh

Shakila, just like other actresses whose acting capacities were limited, did not make it to the top. Soon she was seen low budget movies and slowly faded away. Yet, she will always be remembered for this evergreen sweet melody filmed on her

The audio has been recently posted in CDQ by our mega upload master Swarapriya recently, hence I am not posting it again.

Here is the link for the same
http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=504702

The wordings are by Majrooh sahab and O P gives that special "OP" touch once again !

Here is the youtube link for the video of this song

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4p2ej_V91X0

This post has been edited by parag_sankla: Jun 23 2008, 11:56 PM

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Jun 21 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Another Rafi - Geeta special duet this time on the composition of Burmanda. The year is 1960 and the film is Manzil. This Dev Anand and Nutan starrer had lyrics by Majrooh sahab. The song is "Chupke se mile pyaase pyaase kuchh hum kuchh tum"

Each stanza of this song is set to a different tune. This style is adopted by one of the most famous composers of today A R Rahman.

Enjoy this song in CDQ !

The link for the video on youtube is here

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K48YJ8nIQpM

Song details :

Chupke se mile pyaase pyaase
Mohd Rafi , Geeta Dutt
Manzil (1960)
S D Burman
Majrooh
192 KBPS
03.22 min
mp3 CDQ

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
simplefable
post Jun 21 2008, 11:27 PM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 20340

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jun 21 2008, 02:42 AM) *

I am talking about the other song, a solo, picturized on the actress Mala Sinha. "Kareeb aao na tadapao humein kehna hain kuchh tumse tumhaare kanon mein" is a super soft romantic number. The sensuousness is so subtle !

Parag..here is the video of the song Kareeb aao..from Love marriage. Sorry to disappoint you , but the song is picturised on Pranoti / Neeta ...obviously a vamp. But to her credit, she did traipsed along the floor with steps from Bhangra to Belly dance to Bharatanatyam .Geeta did pour the sultry seduction ...try this for size.. smile.gif

Kareeb aao..na tadpao..
Love Marriage
Shankar Jaikishan
avi, 400 X 600

Here is the rapidshare link for the song....

http://rapidshare.com/files/124066370/Kare...a_Dutt.rar.html

This post has been edited by simplefable: Jun 22 2008, 12:05 AM

After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
Aldous Huxley

"Waqt ne kiya...Kya haseen sitm...Tum rahe na tum..Hum rahe na hum.."

geetadutt

noorjehan

shamshadbegum

Anmol Fankaar
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Jun 22 2008, 12:56 AM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Thanks buddy for the video and the correction !

Cheers
Parag

+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Jun 22 2008, 01:42 AM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

After a row of duets, here is a lovely solo from the Nargis and Jairaj starrer Darogaji.

Apne sajan ke man mein samaayi re

Filmed on young Nargis, this song is composed by Bulo C Rani and penned by M L Khanna (father of composer Usha Khanna) this is a lovely song which I heard for the first time when Mahesh ji (maheshks) shared it on HF long time back.

Apne saajan ke man main samaayi re
Geeta Dutt
Darogaji (1949)
Bulo C Rani
M L Khanna
192 KBPS
02.36 min
WMA

Here is some interesting write-up about P Jairaj

http://www.upperstall.com/jairaj.html

jairaj (1909 - 2000)

Veteran actor P. Jairaj, who passed away at the Lilavati Hospital in Mumbai on August 11, 2000, was perhaps the last surviving artist having links with the silent era of Indian Cinema, having acted in 11 silent films besides well over 200 talkie films.

Jairaj was born on September 28, 1909, in the Nizam state of Karimnagar. His father was a public works department accountant. After he finished school in Hyderabad, Jairaj joined Nizam's College for a Bachelor of Science Degree. However tired of his family dictating his life to him, Jairaj dropped out of college and ran away to Bombay to seek the proverbial pot of gold. A fellow student and friend, Rangayya, rescued him from doing odd jobs at the dockyards. As manager of Mahavir Photoplays, a film distribution company, Rangayya saw the making of a screen hero in Jairaj who was a good-looking and well-built young man.

Jairaj's first film was Jagmugti Jawani (1929) in which he not only played friend to the hero, Madhav Kele, but also doubled for all of Kele's stunt scenes. He was then hired on a monthly salary as a full time employee of Young India Pictures. He was given two square meals a day and three rupees a month and shared a room in Girgaum with four other borders.

Raseeli Rani (1930), his second film, saw Jairaj play the romantic lead opposie Madhuri. The film was a success and established Jairaj as a promising new hero. Jairaj did other films at Young India all opposite Madhuri before moving on to Sharda Films where his salary jumped to thirty-five rupees and then seventy-five rupees a month. Here he was paired mostly opposite Zebunissa and the two were known as India's Gilbert and Garbo! His silent films were inspired by foreign spectaculars - Italian and American but even more so by novels. (For e.g. Raseeli Rani was based on Anthony Hope's The Prisoner of Zenda) Jairaj played mostly a swashbuckling hero in these films.

Jairaj recalled how films were made then...

"All shooting took place in natural sunlight. Our day began and ended early. We reached the sets by 7.30 a.m. and packed up by 5 p.m. ....... We each learnt our craft by trial and error. We discussed the story together, developed it and then started shooting. ....... It was a challenge,You had to make people laugh, cry or get angry through facial expressions and gestures only. Charles Chaplin is the best example of this art. But then, cinema, unlike the stage, is a visual medium. That was why silent movies had universal appeal."

Though he made it big as an actor, actors even male ones were considered scum in those days and Jairaj's own brother didn't speak to him for years declaring his brother had joined the bioscope!

The release of Alam Ara (1931) saw the Talkie film come to India. Jairaj switched over to the talkies relatively smoothly. Being a native Hyderabadi, he was fluent in Urdu and this helped immensely. Shikari (1932), bristling with lions, tigers and snakes, was his first talkie. But with the talkie came another problem. Actors had to sing their own songs and Jairaj was no singer. He did initially feel left out but the advent of the playback system in 1935 solved that problem.

Jairaj played a variety of roles and played a leading man in all genres of films right through the 1930s, 40s and 50s. He starred opposite the top actresses of the day - Bibbo (Mazdoor (1934)), Mehtab (Leatherface (1939)), Devika Rani (Humari Baat (1943)), Leela Chitnis (Char Ankhen (1944)) and Nargis (Anjuman (1948)) to name a few.

The 1950s was a prolific period for Jairaj. He starred in a number of successful screen versions of the lives of famous men due to his royal looks and muscular build like Amarsinh Rathod, Prithviraj Chauhan and so on. He also produced and directed a film - Sagar (1951) but the film based on Lord Tennyson's Enoch Arden starring Nargis and Bharat Bhushan along with him flopped at the box-office. Jairaj admitted...

"I did not have the business acumen to produce and promote a film. Unlike others producers, I had invested my own money."

From the 1960s Jairaj began accepting character roles. He also acted in Mark Robson's controversial Nine Hours to Rama (1963). The film and the book it was based on are still banned in India. Among other films he did include MGM's Maya (1966), starring Clint Walkar and I.S. Johar

In 1981 Jairaj was given the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Award for his contribution to Indian Cinema. He continued acting through the 1980s and was seen in films like Masoom (1982) and Khoon Bhari Mang (1988) before finally retiring in 1994.

Ironically Jairaj passed away a day before his biography Jeevanachi Bharati Ohoti written by Shashikant Kinikar was to be released. It is indeed shameful that no newspaper gave his death more than a cursory paragraph. Some of Jairaj's other films include Rifle Girl (1938), Bhabhi (1939), Khilona (1942), Mera Gaon (1942), Tamanna (1942), Nai Kahani (1943), Shah Jehan (1946), Badbaan (1954), Munna (1954), Amarsinh Rathod (1956), Hatimtai (1956), Pardesi (1957), Char Dil Char Raahein (1959) and Razia Sultana (1962).

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Jun 22 2008, 10:24 PM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Here is another duet with Rafi sahab for the film Mr and Mrs 55. This is one of the sweetest and breeziest romantic duet sung by Geeta ji.

Udhar tum haseen ho
idhar dil jawan hain
Yeh rangeen raaton ki
ek dastan hain

Yeh kaisa hain naghma
yeh kya dastan hain
bata aye muhabbat
mera dil kahan hain...

Filmed on producer-director-actor Guru Dutt and evergreen Madhubala, this song has been artistically picturized. Its a treat to eyes to watch Madhubala who lights up the screen with her radiant smile.

Here is the youtube link for the video of this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JbQs3L7A8c

Song details

Udhar Tum Haseen Ho
Mohd Rafi, Geeta Dutt
Mr and Mrs 55 (1955)
O P Nayyar
Majrooh
128 KBPS
04.04 min
mp3

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Jun 23 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

I am not able to resist the temptation of posting another solo song of Geeta ji from the film Darogaji (1949). Its such a short (less than 3 minutes) and sweet song. Since I heard it for the first time (when Mahesh ji posted it) I have been hooked on to this one.
I dont know if the DVD of this film (with all the songs intact) is available or not, but it will be a pleasure to watch this song filmed on young Nargis.

Yes the song I am referring to is none other than
Mere man ke gagan main aaj chhitaki chandani
Geeta Dutt
Darogaji (1949)
Bulo C Rani
M L Khanna
192 KBPS
02.56 min
wma

Audio courtesy Mahesh ji

* All the songs from this film were sung by Geeta ji

Here is a write up on the composer Bulo C Rani

http://www.downmelodylane.com/bulocrani.html

A music director, however popular, is often forgotten with the passage of time when the trend of music changes. Bulo C Rani was one such composer whose best is buried under the debris of time. When the slow paced melodious music was replaced by the fast paced rhythmic melodies Bulo suddenly lost his relevance as a composer. He lived in a state of hybernation for so long that his death - a suicide - on 24th May 1993 at 73 was reported as if it was a matter of no big consequence. The eventful career of Bulo C Rani in the 40’s and the early 50’s was forgotten.

Mukesh, after his initial failure as a singer, drew attention only when he sang for Bulo in Moorti (1945) ('Badariya baras gai us paar..'). The film 'Jogan' (1950) was a landmark in Bulo’s career. His composing skill enabled him to enhance the inherent charm of Meerabai’s traditional bhajans such as 'Ghoonghat Ke Pat Khol re..', 'Main to Girdhar ke ghar jaaoon..', 'Damag damag dole naiya..' and 'Jogi mat ja, mat ja..'. Even the Holi song ('Rang daaro ri..') and the sentimental one in the voice of Talat ('Sundarta Ke Sabhi Shikari..') were no less appealing. More than Dilip Kumar and Nargis in the film it was Bulo’s music which turned out to be the real star.

Before 'Jogan' came his way Bulo had already earned recognition through the films such as 'Rajputani' ('Ja parwane ja kahin shama jal rahi hai..') and 'Anjuman' ('Kaise bataoon tum se is dil ko pyar kyun hai..') and the immense popularity of the song 'Armaan bhara dil toot gaya..' from the film 'Wafa' (1951). Bulo C Rani had a special fascination for heavy voices which were capable of more expressive power. For the same reason he was able to create a great impact on listeners with the voices of Amirbai ('Sooni padi hai payar ki duniya tere baghair..', Zohrabai ('Ankhon mein intezaar Ki duniya liye huve..') and Geeta Roy (Dutt) in the songs of 'Jogan'. Bulo did not hesitate to create an enchanting melody in the song 'Badi bhool hui tujhe pyar kiya..' in 'Maghroor'.
Bilwamangal (1954) was the last significant film of Bulo C Rani. Suraiya sang one of her most memorable song 'Parwanon se preet seekhli, shama se seekha jal jaana..' and so did C.H. Atma in 'Panghat pe more shyam bajaaye muraliya..'. Despite the popularity of a stray song such as 'Hamen to loot liya milke husn Walon ne..' sung by Ismail Azad and party in the film 'Al Hilal'(1958). Bulo C Rani just continued to drift because his music had not remained a viable commercial proposition. After 'Sunhare Qadam' (1966). Bulo's career came to an end. Having once enjoyed the position of prominence the lack of assignment made him restless.

It was an irony of fate that the song he composed in the voice of Lata in his last film 'Sunhare Qadam' was 'Maangne se jo maut mil jaati, Kaun jeeta zamane men...'. Irony was that in life he asked for death and he got it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 12:33 AM