Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Sad Songs ... ?

, ...And Our Infatuation With Them

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sad Songs ... ?, ...And Our Infatuation With Them
extenok
post Nov 21 2003, 05:31 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

Sad Songs ... Why?

What is it with our infatuation for sad songs? Why is it that we feel so intimately for these tragedy songs? There are an equal number of other popular categories like the 'Tareef songs' or the Romantic Songs. But, we all love the way our heros lose and give up on hope. Songs like ...
aa.Nsuu bharii hai.n ye jiivan kii raahe.n,koii unase kah de hame.n bhuul jaae.n,
aaj puraanii raaho.n se, koI mujhe aavaaz na de,
ai dil mujhe aisii jagah le chal jahaa.n koI na ho/apanaa paraayaa meharabaa.n naa-meharabaa.n koI na ho, meraa jiivan koraa kaagaz koraa hii rah gayaa/jo likhaa thaa aa.Nsuo.n ke sa.ng bah gayaa
milii Kaak me.n muhabbat, jalaa dil kaa aashiyaanaa, jo thii aaj tak haqiiqat, vahii ban ga_ii fasaanaa

all speak so eloquently of getting away, losing hope, giving up and accepting defeat.

For some people its the poetry that the lyricists & poets of yesteryear HFM have penned for the greats of Mohammad Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Mukesh, Talat Mahmood, Manna Dey and others of their time in these colossal tragedy songs. There is an added attention paid to the music of these sad songs. And the difference in quality of the songs, compared to the rest of the tracks is quite evident, even to the most musically challenged of all listeners.

Meaningful cinema or even commercial cinema of that day and age had its fair share of emotional portrayals. Sadness is indeed an important and potentially audience-capturing emotion that film-makers have tried to use to sway the masses in their favour, while also trying to get some sort of a social message or story across.

We have different category of film songs. But, sad songs probably top the list as the most concentrated-upon songs of HFM. Be it music-directors, singers or lyricists. There's a special treatment given to tragedy songs. It has to be real, believeable and sad enough to make the viewer/listener feel for the actor.

Humans in general might not be pessimists, as much as they are optimists, always believing and hoping that things will get better. Nobody can deny the resilience of the human race, but something is so poetic and cruel about a lost love, losing hope, facing defeat. Being disheartened with the forlorn looks and striking an acute balance between losing your mind, commiting suicide and living with the pain of the heart-break or failure that one has faced, is truly amazing and alluringly beautiful to our dichotomous aesthetic senses. Craving for beauty and all that is pure, while finding solace in the arms of failure.

Any and all criticism/suggestion/praise is welcome.

kisako sunaauu.N haal-e-dil beqaraar kaa
bujhataa huaa charaaG huu.N apane mazaar kaa
ai kaash bhuul jaauu.N magar bhuulataa nahii.n
kis dhuum se uThaa thaa janaazaa bahaar kaa

zindagi ne kar diya, jab bhi udaas
aa gaye ghabra ke hum, manzil ke paas
sar jhukaaya, sar jhuka kar ro diye
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pradeep
post Nov 21 2003, 05:49 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I consider Sadness is the essence of life. Until we are sad, we will never know what hapiness is. Its not that music listeners always prefer sad songs. I belive its a person to person thingy. I know so many of my friends... who say... rafi means sad songs, kishore means happy songs.

Are yaar.. tu voh Rafi ka gana abhi mat baja... voh DJ Dol wali... damdaar gaana baja.

Hmmmm

kuch bhi nahin hai tera mol, boli na badi bol, khilona tu maati ka...
+Quote Post
extenok
post Nov 21 2003, 06:05 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (Pradeep @ Nov 21 2003, 05:49 PM)
...Its not that music listeners always prefer sad songs. I belive its a person to person thingy. ... rafi means sad songs, kishore means happy songs.

True that everybody has a different taste in music. But maybe I was only pointing
towards us 'nakaam aashiqs'. sad.gif

As for Rafi meaning sad songs & Kishore=happy songs. It has more to do with the type of songs that the media keeps bombarding people with. And if people nowadays think that Kishore only sung happy songs, then maybe they need to look up more of his songs.
My friends and relatives tell me that listening to those sad songs of Rafi/Talat is bad for me. Not to mention how big a turn-off it is for girls tongue.gif
So, guess I should think about regulating my music choice. But, again ... it's not that easy. One can't find the same sort of beauty, simplicity ... yet such excellent portrayal of emotions as in a sad song in any other song.

Yeh hamari badnaseebi, jo nahin, to aur kya hae
ke ussi ke ho gaye hum, jo na ho saka hamara

+Quote Post
Chitralekha
post Nov 22 2003, 12:45 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 13

Great topic!!!

I have to agree with you, extenok, "One can't find the same sort of beauty, simplicity ... yet such excellent portrayal of emotions as in a sad song in any other song.." and " It has more to do with the type of songs that the media keeps bombarding people with...". Majority of the public only keeps on listening to same old most famous songs by most singers. So their knowledge is mostly based on what they have heard.

But hey! I disagree with the fact that girls find it a turn off. I myself am a huge fan of sad songs of Talat M. My fav ones:
  • yeh ro ro ke kehta hai toota hua dil, nahin hoon main teri mohabbat ke qaabil..
  • phir wohi shaam wohi gham wohi tanhaayi hai, dil ko samjhaane teri yaad chali aayi hai
  • main paagal mera manva paagal, paagal meri preet re, paglepan ki peed woh jaane bichhade jisska meet re
  • zindagi dene waale sun, teri duniya se dil bhar gaya, main yahaan jeete jee mar gaya

Lot of people think listening to sad songs makes us more sad, but I think it's the other way around. May be its just me, but I always feel better after I listen to bunch of sad songs. tongue.gif IMO by listening to sad songs, we let go of our sad feelings.

woh juudaa kya hue zindagi kho gayi
shamma jalti rahi roshni kho gayi
bahut koshishey kee magar dil na behlaa
kayi saaz chhede kayi geet gaaye
woh jab yaad aaye bahut yaad aaye..

Waah! kya khoob likha hai.

My list of sad songs is endless. Life is impossible without music.

Chitralekha
+Quote Post
extenok
post Nov 22 2003, 02:18 AM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (Chitralekha @ Nov 22 2003, 12:45 AM)

But hey! I disagree with the fact that girls find it a turn off. I myself am a huge fan of sad songs of Talat M.

Lot of people think listening to sad songs makes us more sad, but I think it's the other way around.

C,

I was pointing at those ditzy, non-intellectual type girls who can't hold a decent enough conversation. Most of the times, the hot-babes are the dumb ones. I know, I might be generalizing ... ah well, shoot me. unsure.gif
Also, I'm not so beautiful either, so maybe I should just settle for the intellectual type tongue.gif

I agree with you about sad songs not making us sad. When I listen to a song, I try to feel the lyrics ... I am impressed by the amount of perfection achieved by the singer in singing these difficult sad songs. Indeed, life is life-less without music, and incomplete without sad songs.

ai kaash jo mil kar rote, kuchh dard to halake hote
bekaar na jaate aa.Nsuu, kuchh daaG jigar ke dhote
phir ra.nj na hotaa itanaa, hai tanahaaI me.n jitanaa
ab jaane ye rastaa Gam kaa, hai aur bhii lambaa kitanaa
haalaat kii ulajhan sulajhaauu.N aisii merii taqadiir kahaa.N
terii aa.Nkh ke aa.Nsuu pii jaauu.N

Imran

P.S When I listen to those sad numbers, relatives/friends complain that I've turned into a budhha baba. Or some old man's spirit has taken over my body. mad.gif

+Quote Post
Chitralekha
post Nov 22 2003, 10:50 AM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Imran ji, Nice to know we like same songs biggrin.gif

Arre! yeh kya.. you think all people who like oldies are not beautiful!?!?!?!? ohmy.gif

Yes, it's amazing how close the lyricists come with the lyrics.. we can like totally relate to some of the songs. They dont write lyrics like that any more. mellow.gif

Jab family-friends bole "U r like buddha" so boliye "yeh to itne unche vichaar hai, bahot mature log hi samajh sakte hai aur main issi liye samajh paata hoon kyon ki mujh mein itni chhoti umra mein itni maturity aa gayi hai" biggrin.gif

Heard this one?

dil mein toofaan utha hai hothon pe naghma
aankhon mein aansoo khushi ke
sapnon ke paas pahocha ke sapnon se doori
aisa na ho sang kissi ke
koyi kahe na manzil mujhko
mili aaj tak nahin mili aaj se pehle aaj se jyaada..

Awesome song from Chitchor. Another one I like is "woh dil kahaan se laau teri yaad jo bhulaa de" from Bharosa.

What are your other fav ones?

Chitralekha
+Quote Post
extenok
post Nov 22 2003, 07:04 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (Chitralekha @ Nov 22 2003, 10:50 AM)
Imran ji, Nice to know we like same songs biggrin.gif
What are your other fav ones?

Chitralekha

C,

Will let you know of more, some other day. wink2.gif

For now, here are some off the top of my lyrics list, Talat Mahmood's of course tongue.gif

Meri Yaad Mein Tum Na Aansu Bahana
tasviir banaataa huu.N, tasviir nahii.n banatI
shaam-e-Gam kii qasam, aaj Gamagii.n hai.n ham
pyaar par bas to nahii.n hai meraa, lekin phir bhii
merii yaad me.n tum naa, aa.Nsuu bahaanaa
Teri Aankh Ke Aansu Pee Jaun
jaae.n to jaae.n kahaa.N
itanaa na mujhase tuu pyaar ba.Dhaa, ke mai.n ek baadal aavaaraa
ham dard ke maaro.n kA, itanaa hii fasaanaa hai
ai mere dil kahii.n aur chal
ai Gam-e-dil kyaa karuu.N
ai dil mujhe aisii jagah le chal jahaa.n koii na ho
aa.Nsuu samajh ke kyuu.N mujhe, aa.Nkh se tuune giraa diyaa
a.ndhe jahaa.n ke a.ndhe raaste, jaaye.n to jaaye.n kahaa.n

If you see some songs repeated, thats cos I like them more than the others.
And my most-favouritest Talat Mahmood song ... lets leave that for that other day. smile1.gif

+Quote Post
kcp
post Nov 22 2003, 07:48 PM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 10

Hmmmm

My old days association with Talat reminds me only of his romantic/love songs biggrin.gif

Hum Unke Paas Aate Hai
Aa Teri Tasveer Bana Loon
Do Din Ki Mohabbat Mein
Aansoo TO Nahin Hai Aankhon
Mohabbat Mein Kashish Hogi
Teri Zulphon Se Pyaar
Mohabbat Ke Jhoothe Saharo Ne
Ye Kya Hai Dhang Zamaane Ka
Main Tujhko Agar El Phool Kahoon
Jab Kisi Ke Rukh Pe
Mere Khayalon Mein Aake
Doob Gaye Akaash Pe Taare

smile.gif

Regards

KCP
+Quote Post
Chitralekha
post Nov 25 2003, 02:09 AM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (extenok @ Nov 22 2003, 05:34 AM)
C,

Will let you know of more, some other day, over a glass of lassi  wink.gif

For now, here are some off the top of my lyrics list, Talat Mahmood's of course tongue.gif

tasviir banaataa huu.N, tasviir nahii.n banatI
shaam-e-Gam kii qasam, aaj Gamagii.n hai.n ham
pyaar par bas to nahii.n hai meraa, lekin phir bhii
merii yaad me.n tum naa, aa.Nsuu bahaanaa
Teri Aankh Ke Aansu Pee Jaun
jaae.n to jaae.n kahaa.N
itanaa na mujhase tuu pyaar ba.Dhaa, ke mai.n ek baadal aavaaraa
ham dard ke maaro.n kA, itanaa hii fasaanaa hai
ai mere dil kahii.n aur chal
ai Gam-e-dil kyaa karuu.N
ai dil mujhe aisii jagah le chal jahaa.n koii na ho
aa.Nsuu samajh ke kyuu.N mujhe, aa.Nkh se tuune giraa diyaa
a.ndhe jahaa.n ke a.ndhe raaste, jaaye.n to jaaye.n kahaa.n

If you see some songs repeated, thats cos I like them more than the others.
And my most-favouritest Talat Mahmood song ... lets leave that for the lassi-day.  smile.gif

Oh wow! I have almost all of these on two tapes of HMV Ke Anmol Ratan. Most wonderful songs. "meri yaad mein tum na" is also my fav one.. I can listen to it for hrs and not get bored at all. A few other good songs from that collection are

"mohabbat hi na jo samjhe woh jaleem pyaar ka jaane"
"koyi nahin mera iss duniya mein, aashiyana barbaad hai"
"tu aaye na aaye teri khushi"

I have two more song-collections to listen to with quite many songs that are new for me.. one is Legends - Talat Mahmood the Silken Voice (this one has Shammi Kapoor and Pankaj Udhas speak in between some songs too!) and the other is ghazals album named Sukoon. Have you heard them? I am yet to listen to most of the songs on there. Hoping they would be good smile.gif

kya khabar thi ke mile hai to bichhadne ke liye
kismate apni banaayi hai bigadne ke liye
pyaar ka baag basaaya tha ujadne ke liye
iss tarah ujada ke phir hum se basaya na gaya
hum se aaya na gaya unse bulaya na gaya
faasla pyaar ka dono se mitaya na gaya..

Awaiting the lassi-day post! wink.gif

Chitralekha smile.gif
+Quote Post
vivekpm
post Nov 25 2003, 11:07 AM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 120

Jab family-friends bole "U r like buddha" so boliye "yeh to itne unche vichaar hai, bahot mature log hi samajh sakte hai aur main issi liye samajh paata hoon kyon ki mujh mein itni chhoti umra mein itni maturity aa gayi hai"

You gave me a great way to defend my liking for sad songs...

Anyways, sad songs really turn me on...Don't know why but I always like that Bichadna type of songs and Zindagi songs... (No No...I don't have a broken heart...:-) ).

My sad songs list are:

Woh Tere Pyar Ka Gham...
All KK's Zindagi related sad songs...they are simply amazing...
Zindagi Kaisi hai paheli,
Kahin Door Jab Din Dhal Jaye...It is more of a philosophical song than a sad song.
Teri Duniya Se Hoke Majboor,
Most of Mukesh's sad songs

and many more...

I believe the thing that makes sad songs click is the lyrics. Most of them have beautiful lyrics.

I need to take a small trip down my collection of sad songs now...

Cheers and listen to sad songs,
Vivek

V i V e K ...

--------------------------------------------

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
-- Will Durant

+Quote Post
manishw
post Nov 25 2003, 02:49 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 49

This is the exercise i loveee.... Here are a few of my fav sad songs..

Rafi sad songs:
1) Swapna Jhade Phool Se(NAI UMAR KI NAI FASAL) - I just cannot have enough of this song. Mindblowing lyrics by Neeraj, ethreal composition by Roshan and heart rending rendition by Rafi.

2) Main Yeh Sochkar(HAQEEQAT) - Another excellent composition by Madan Mohan(the violins are terrific) and superbly rendered by Rafi.

3) Yaad Na Jaaye Beete Dino Ki(DIL EK MANDIR) - Wow.. what lyrics.. Great song.

4) Yahan Main Ajnabi Hoon(JAB JAB PHOOL KHILE) - Lovely song picturized on Shashi Kapoor. Again beautiful nostalgic lyrics.

5) Kar Chale Hum Fida(HAQEEQAT) - This song never ever fails to choke me or bring tears to my eyes. Though a patriotic song, it makes you cry buckets.

6) Rang Aur Noor Ki Baaraat Kise Pesh Karoon(GAZAL) - Excellent singing by Rafi saab.

7) Raat Bhar Ka Hain Mehmaan Andhera(SONE KI CHIDIYA) - I love these lyrics. Sad but still giving hope.

8) O Door Ke Musafir(UDAN KHATOLA) - As a kid, I used to get very sad looking at the picturization.

9) Din Dhal Jaaye(GUIDE) - Ask someone who has parted from his love. This song would come on his lips.

10) Mile Na Phool To Kaanto Se Dosti Kar Li(ANOKHI RAAT) - Kya song hai!!

Kishore sad songs:
1) Koi Lauta De Mere Beete Hue Din(DOOR GAGAN KI CHHAON MEIN) - You just cannot sing this song without getting choked.

2) Koi Hota Jisko Apna(MERE APNE) - My fav sad song for singing. rolleyes.gif

3) Kaise Kahen Hum(SHARMILEE) - Great rendition by Kishore.

4) Dil Aaj Shayar Hai(GAMBLER) - Too good lyrics by Neeraj.

5) Ruk Jaana Nahin Tu Kahin Haar Ke(IMTIHAAN) - Kamaal ka gaaya hai Kishoreda ne.

6) Manzilein Apni Jagah Hai, Raaste Apni Jagah(SHARABI) - Great song!!

7) Kuch To Log Kahenge(AMAR PREM) - Just one word : Classic

8) O Saathi Re(MUQADDAR KA SIKANDAR) - So robustly sung by Kishore Kumar.

9) Mera Jeevan Kora Kagaz Kora Hi Reh Gaya(KORA KAAGAZ) - Lyrics are too good. And out-of-the-world singing by Kishoreda.

10) Dukhi Man Mere Sun Mera Kehna(FUNTOOSH) - Excellent singing of the 50s/60s Kishore!!

11) Dekha Hai Zindagi Ko Maine Itna Kareeb Se(NAYA ZAMANA) - Excellent song.

Mukesh sad songs:
1) Chal Ri Sajni(BAMBAI KA BABU) - My fav bidai song.

2) Jo Pyaar Toone Mujhko Diya Tha(DULHA DULHAN) - I love this haunting tune.

3) Koi Jab Tumhara Hriday Tod De(PURAB AUR PASCHIM) - Again excellent lyrics.

4) Jaane Kahan Gaye Woh Din(MERA NAAM JOKER) - Whatever people may say, I love Raj Kpoor, I love his films, especially this one. And this is one of the saddest songs.

Lata sad songs:
1) Megha Chhaye Aadhi Raat(SHARMILEE) - Lovely song. Lovely composition by S D Burman.

2) Woh Bhooli Daastaan Lo Phir Yaad Aa Gayi(SANJOG) - Lovely composition and rendition.

Asha sad songs:
1) Ab Ke Baras(BANDINI) - Unbelievable song from Ashaji. Heart wrenching composition by SDB.

Talat sad songs:
1) Ae Mere Dil Kahin Aur Chal - Sad but refreshing

Saigal sad songs:
1) Gham Diye Mushtakil - One of the greatest sad songs.

Thats all for now.. Ciao..
Manish
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:50 PM