Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Jaidev

, The S.D. Burman Traditionalist

20 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jaidev, The S.D. Burman Traditionalist
swarapriya
post May 18 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Angels
Member No.: 36307

Jaidev, The S.D. Burman Traditionalist

Jaidev Verma, popularly known as Jaidev, started his film career as an actor. But he had strong musical training and wanted to compose music. S.D. Burman gave him the opportunity to work with him as his assistant in 1951. Chetan Anand recognized the talent of Jaidev and gave him his first major break by assigning him to be a music director for his movie “Joru Ka Bhai” in 1955. Music for this movie was a success. Encouraged, Chetan Anand gave Jaidevji another opportunity for his next movie “Anjali” in 1957. The songs for this movie also became popular. But not until Dev Anand signed him to provide music for his film “Hum Dono”, Jaidev’s name, inspite of some successful movies, remained obscure. But songs of “Hum Dono” became a rage and movie was a big hit for Dev Saab and for Jaidev ji as well.

Surprisingly, inspite of string of successes he enjoyed with his movies, Jaidevji never got into the so called “big league” music director brackets. This may be partly because his music had so much influence of SD. Whereas RD blazed himself new trails even though he was also a long time assistant to SD, Jaidev ji remained close to providing Burmanesque style music. In the life span of little over 30 years in the film industry as a music director, Jaidevji composed music for some 40+ movies. During that span he won four Sur Singar Samsad awards. He also was a recepient of Lata Mangeshkar award from the Government of Madhya Pradesh. He won three National awards as the best music director for “Reshma Aur Shera (1971)”, “Gaman (1979)”, and “Ankahee (1984)”. Such an honor nobody ever received until recently A.R. Rahman was able to accomplish it.

Inspite of all the accolades and some really beautiful music created, Jaidev remained aloof and distant from the luminous filmworld and died in very poor health.

In the next few weeks I will try to capture some of the music Jaidevji created through these columns. I have some of his original album CDs and will upload from these.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 18 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Alaap (1977)

This movie was produced and directed by Hrishikesh Mukherjee. It had the popular lead pair of Rekha and Amitabh. But like most of Hrishida's movies this was a pretty serious movie with some melodious music. Neither Rafi Saab nor Kishore da are here. It is Madhurani, Faiyyaz, Dilraj Kaur, Bhupinder, and Yesudas. It is so refreshing to listen to some unfamiliar voices. Of course Lataji is also here.

All songs are done in semiclassical mode. Harbans Rai Bachchan and Rahi Masoom Reza penned the lyrics. Here are the details of the songs and songs themselves ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Erum Hashmi
post May 18 2008, 06:20 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 428

Thank you so much, SWARPRIYAJI for starting this thread! I wish all success to the thread!

woman is the mirror in which man sees the reflection of his own self, his own dormant and hidden powers of genius when she comes and stands before him
A woman is a meaning to life ! Someone who loves, who cares !

+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 19 2008, 08:14 PM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Erum Hashmi @ May 18 2008, 05:50 AM) *

Thank you so much, SWARPRIYAJI for starting this thread! I wish all success to the thread!

Thanks Erumji. Remember that I have started this thread at your request. Also, it has been in my mind that I should do something like this. With one shot I am satisfying our two wishes. More is coming this way ...

Swarapriya
+Quote Post
Erum Hashmi
post May 19 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(swarapriya @ May 19 2008, 08:14 PM) *
QUOTE(Erum Hashmi @ May 18 2008, 05:50 AM) *

Thanks Erumji. Remember that I have started this thread at your request. Also, it has been in my mind that I should do something like this. With one shot I am satisfying our two wishes. More is coming this way ...

Swarapriya

Its so nice of you, Swarpriyaji!

Looking forward for more albums! smile.gif

woman is the mirror in which man sees the reflection of his own self, his own dormant and hidden powers of genius when she comes and stands before him

+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 20 2008, 06:57 AM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Dooriyan (1979)

Here is another album where there are only four songs. There are couple of duets with Anuradha Paudwal and Bhupinderji that are just great. Anuradhaji's liltingly sweet voice complimented with sleepy voice of Bhupinderji these songs seem to be so different that one would like to listen to them over and over again. This movie paired beautiful and talented Sharmila Tagore with that great actor Uttam Kumar.

Here are the details of these four songs and the songs themselves ...

This post has been edited by swarapriya: May 20 2008, 06:59 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
lakshmi
post May 20 2008, 07:33 AM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6864

Thanks Swarapriya for Alaap album. You are a very creative writer.

Lakshmi
+Quote Post
gop
post May 20 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 4359

Thanks Swarapriya for the Alaap and Dooriyan albums. Nice composition by Jaidevji.

gop
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 20 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(lakshmi @ May 19 2008, 07:03 PM) *

Thanks Swarapriya for Alaap album. You are a very creative writer.

Lakshmi

Thank you Lakshmi. I have been following your contributions to the Forum for some time. You have my admiration too. Also, thank you very much for your nice support.

Swarapriya
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 20 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(gop @ May 19 2008, 10:45 PM) *

Thanks Swarapriya for the Alaap and Dooriyan albums. Nice composition by Jaidevji.

gop

You're most welcome. Sharing a little bit of joy makes one feel very happy. -S
+Quote Post
Erum Hashmi
post May 21 2008, 02:52 PM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Thank you so much, swarpriyaji!

+Quote Post
anand
post May 22 2008, 12:54 AM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 7780

har morh par jab milenge tumse, ek hi lavz shukriya ka sunoge hamse. tussi dhann ho swarpriya ji
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post May 22 2008, 01:00 AM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6005

Swarapriya, thanks for coming up with yet another great thread. I recently bought a 2 CD pack of assorted songs composed by Jaidev ji. I will take the liberty of posting them here on your thread if you don't mind

Cheers
Parag

Please visit www.geetadutt.com
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 22 2008, 06:30 AM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Erum Hashmi @ May 21 2008, 02:22 AM) *

Thank you so much, swarpriyaji!

Again, you're very welcome! -S
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post May 22 2008, 06:32 AM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(anand @ May 21 2008, 12:24 PM) *

har morh par jab milenge tumse, ek hi lavz shukriya ka sunoge hamse. tussi dhann ho swarpriya ji

Anandji,

Aap to shair nikle aur humen aap ki lafzonse mazaa aa gaya. Bahut bahut shukriya.

Swarapriya
+Quote Post

20 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:00 PM