Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Sitar Quintet (1968)

, Ustad Abdul Halim Jafar Khan

> Sitar Quintet (1968), Ustad Abdul Halim Jafar Khan
Mandrake
post Jun 7 2005, 11:17 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2066

In 1968, Ustad Abdul Halim Jafar Khan, along with his disciples, composed an album called 'Sitar Quintet' which had some truly off-the-path tracks.

The tracks were:
1) Chandani Kedar
2) Mazamiri
3) Khusrawani
4) Sharavati
5) Kalpana
6) Miya Malhar

Would anybody be having this album? It is not available in Mumbai or Pune.

Self - belief is the most potent force.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
anilkumar
post Jun 24 2005, 04:06 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 465

The Sitar Panchak by Ustad Abdul Halim Jaafar Khan & Disciples was a unique musical experiment. In some of these compositions different sitars were tuned to different Pitch Shadja. It gave sometimes the same impression as the harmonics played in the western music.

I have an old recorded tape which I had ripped into mp3 with some difficulty last year, on which my uploads of 'Sitar Panchak' Compositions have been based.

I had seen a part of Sitar Panchak program on the TV in an interview several years ago. This musical experiment was not followed up further as lot of improvisation was necessary. Sometimes the effect of different pitches can be confusing.

Ustad Abdul Halim Jaafar Khan is known for his unique delicate style, stamina, hard work and greatest skill. In a fraction of second he can play many swift swar kanaas and play non stop drut compositions. I wish I had more pieces by him.

The Ustaad has played sitar in many old film songs or in the background pieces in the several films. Notable in these is the piece with a chakradhari taan towards the climaxed end of 'Madhuban mein radhika nache re' (Hameer), the initial piece of 'Ik shahenshah ne banwaake hansi taajmahal' (Lalit), 'Payaliya baavari' (Marwa by Lata) from Saanjh aur Awaaz) etc etc.

The compositions will be uploaded here in the reverse order - starting with the Seasonal Raga of Monsoon..

-A

Mandrake wrote on 20th

In 1968, Ustad Abdul Halim Jafar Khan, along with his disciples, composed an album called 'Sitar Quintet' which had some truly off-the-path tracks.

[**********************************************************
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 01:23 PM