Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Manna Dey On Kishore

, Walk the Talk with Shekhar Gupta

Forum Rules Please read and thoroughly understand the forum rules and regulations:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Manna Dey On Kishore, Walk the Talk with Shekhar Gupta
edward_236
post Mar 8 2005, 01:05 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

In case anyone missed Walk the Talk's Shekhar Gupta interviewing Manna Dey, here's what one of India's living legends spoke about Kishore in glowing terms.
The transcript below features a part of the full interview where he speaks about his relationship with Kishore & RD. Hope you enjoy it:

Gupta: So why did you think that you did not quite get your due? People always talk of three greats (Kishore, Rafi & Mukesh); it must be four greats.

MD: No, I don’t mind not being called a great singer because I don’t think I’m a great singer. I have been a student of good music, I can sing good songs. As for the rest, I rate Mohammad Rafi as one of the very best of all time. He was undoubtedly one of the very best. He was self-taught and he made a style of his own, and I would rate him the icon in playback singing.

Gupta: What about Mukesh and Kishore Kumar, your other contemporaries?

MD: Kishore was a natural singer. He never learnt music, but he had the natural talent and what a voice he had.

Gupta: He had a natural talent for everything. Acting, direction, writing, women...

MD: Everything, no doubt about it. I’m a very big Kishore fan. I have always rated him as one of the great entertainers in the field of music.

Gupta: I think one of your songs that the present generation remembers most of all is the one you sang with him, Ek chatur naar karke shringaar. Between Mehmood and Kishore and Sunil Dutt, you had a fantastic cast of characters.

MD: You know we started that song in the morning at 9 o’ clock and finished in the evening at 9 o’ clock. Twelve hours of recording...

Gupta: And it looked as if it was a live jugalbandi.

MD: With Kishore, many times we have sung together, in Sholay we sang Ye dosti, it was like a picnic. Pancham (R D Burman) was such a lively fellow. We three used to make a hell of a lot of noise on the sets.

Gupta: In Bengali or in Hindi?

MD: In Hindi, of course. We used to make a hell of a lot of noise, and in that kind of noise, good things used to be born, jaise ki ‘Ek chatur naar’ mein ‘Naach na jaane aangan tedha’. Udhar Kishore singing ‘Oh tedhe, oh tedhe’...It was all impromptu and it was not there in the beginning. His brain used to wander about all the time.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ahmeds
post Mar 8 2005, 06:28 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 1487

"As for the rest, I rate Mohammad Rafi as one of the very best of all time. He was undoubtedly one of the very best. He was self-taught and he made a style of his own, and I would rate him the icon in playback singing. "

Kishore was no doubt a absolutely fantastic singer and definately ranks amongst the best but Rafi as Manna Dey states in the pinicle of play back singing.

The range in Rafi saabs singing is breathtaking. in saying that some kishoreda songs are beutifull and one can listen to them time and time again.

Respect to both legends

ahmeds

+Quote Post
rom
post Mar 9 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 233

Here we go again! Mere perception disguised/mistaken/masquerading as reality!

THE INTELLIGENT MUST MAKE CONCESSIONS!
+Quote Post
jayant
post Mar 9 2005, 11:45 AM
Post #4

Unregistered

Immediate attention pls mods.....
before the F-16s & scuds start bombarding.
+Quote Post
rom
post Mar 9 2005, 12:25 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 233

I beg: No comparsons, please!

THE INTELLIGENT MUST MAKE CONCESSIONS!
+Quote Post
ahmeds
post Mar 9 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

I was only quoting what manna dey said. I hope I didnt upset anyone, believe me that was not the intention. Neither was it intended to cause an argument. if I've upset anyone I take all my comments back.

I love both KishoreDa and Rafi Saab(equally)

Ahmeds
+Quote Post
unni
post Mar 9 2005, 06:52 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
From: Vaanar Nivas, Tribandar Marg, Bandarabad, MONKEYSTAN.
Member No.: 356

QUOTE(jayant @ Mar 9 2005, 01:15 AM)
Immediate attention pls mods.....
before the F-16s & scuds start bombarding.

Post # 10 at:
http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...t=0&#entry73513

I quote:
"The article...... had already appeared in the forum a full 24 hours earlier. It was suitably captioned and did not spark any heated exchange of messages".

Can we please keep it that way?

Thanks!

If you stop trying to make sense of it all, you'll be less confused. Reality is an illusion.
+Quote Post
edward_236
post Mar 10 2005, 10:49 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 929

It would be a great injustice to compare Rafi with Kishore and vice versa. Even in the other forum, it was sad to see people fighting over Manna Dey and Rafi, whereas all these singers shared a deep respect for each other.

Kishore and Rafi had their own special & unique attributes in terms of voice and attributes and hence could not be compared to each other, in the same way that Asha and Lata cannot be compared to each other.

+Quote Post
ahmeds
post Mar 10 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

I TOTALLY AGREE.

BOTH WERE UNBELEIVABLE SINGERS.

AHMEDS
+Quote Post
humble_rafi
post Mar 10 2005, 08:17 PM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1609

yup MANNA DEY has always been like this.he is only full of compliments for RAFI SAHAB.believe me i never heard any loose talks from him clap1.gif

i doubt abt the the authenticity of the article that i posted. sad1.gif

I NEVER HEARD AN ANGEL SINGING,YES I HEARD MOHAMMED RAFI SAHAB.

I LOVE THEE RAFI SAHAB

Saanson Ki Maala Pay, Simron Main Pi Ka Naam......Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Sahab
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:16 PM