Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

All About Kishore Kumar

, News articles etc.

Forum Rules Please read and thoroughly understand the forum rules and regulations:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> All About Kishore Kumar, News articles etc.
Sharmila-Sweet
post Jun 28 2011, 11:30 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 75253

Indore, the cradle that gave Lata Mangeshkar and Kishore Kumar to India

Published: Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011, 8:00 IST | Updated: Tuesday, Jun 28, 2011, 2:00 IST
By Zafar Ansari | Place: Indore | Agency: DNA

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_indor...o-india_1559847

If the journey of music in India were to be mapped, Indore would be its most popular milestone.

The city was home to iconic artists, Lata Mangeshkar and Kishore Kumar, who immortalised Bollywood with their distinctive singing styles. Lata was born in Sikh Mohalla in 1929. A Raymond’s showroom now stands tall in place of her aunt’s house where she was delivered, 80 years ago.

Indore, at that time, was dominated by Marathi culture. So, Lata grew up in a Marathi environment. She would cycle her way to Naulakha Garden where the Indore Zoo was built.

Lata used to frequently visit Indore to meet her aunt and cousin Malti. She had a strong fetish for dal bafala —the famous cuisine of the Malwa region. Every time she visited the city, her cousins would get dal bafala from the finest shop in their locality.

Unlike Lata, Kishore Kumar aka Abhas Kumar Kunjilal Ganguly, was born in a lawyer’s family on August 4, 1929, at Khandwa, around 150km from Indore.

Kishore had this habit of wearing shorts to the Indore Christian College where he completed his graduation. In his free time, Kishore would throw up impromptu acts of singing and mimicry under a tree in the college campus.

He carried his unmistakable trait of wearing a pair of shorts and a smile from his college days in Indore to the reel life. Kishore started his career as an actor in the movie Shikari (1946). He made his debut as a singer with Marne ki duayen kyon mangu for the film Ziddi (1948). Unfortunately, the legend could never return to his birth place after climbing the peak of his career.
— As told to Shruti Marwaha

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Aug 1 2011, 11:44 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

http://www.hindustantimes.com/entertainmen...le1-727712.aspx

Kishore Kumar once more...
Roshmila Bhattacharya, Hindustan Times
Mumbai, July 31, 2011 Email to Author

An Ekta Kapoor produced tele soap featuring Ram Kapoor and Sakshi Tanwar is the current living room must-see. Bade Achche Lagte Hain... Yeh Dharti Yeh Nadiya Yeh Raina Aur Tum sparked my interest since the first promos started airing because of its mouthful of a title (the longest ever for a show) and its evocative title track. The song has been a favourite for years and I remember talking about it with Amit Kumar one afternoon in 2003 at Kishore Kumar’s bungalow, Gauri Kunj.

“Shakti Samanta was planning a Hindi version of the Bengali Balika Badhu in ’75 and looking for fresh, young voice for lead actor Sachin,” reminsced Amit. “Baba (Kishore Kumar) was at his peak at the time, a one-man industry. When Panchamda (RD Burman) heard that I’d just done a stage show with him, he invited us home.”

There were a number of people including Shaktida in Burman’s house that evening. Amit, who was 24 then, was urged to sing. He chose one of Kishore’s from Jhumroo. When he finished, everyone clapped and told him he was really good. Only Kishore didn’t say a word till they were in the car driving back home. Then, he chided his son saying, “What happened to you Amit? You sang so badly!”

Amit retorted by telling his ‘baba’ that he was not a singer like him. The next day, RD Burman called to invited Amit for a rehearsal. He was singing for Balika Badhu after all!

The memory drew a laugh from Amit’s younger brother Sumit, who at 21 had just recorded his first film song for Raju Mawani’s Mudda. Sumit admitted that despite being Kishore Kumar’s son, he never dreamt of becoming a singer.

“As a child I wanted to be a cricketer and in school would hide behind a taller classmate and mime the way his lips moved during music class. Then, the teacher got wise, hauled me up front and made me sing alone,” he chuckled. “In college, I was into dramatics. Dancing was a hobby. I’d learnt to play the piano but I never sang.”

Amit pointed out that it was his father’s dream that Sumit learn the piano: “Baba wanted him to conduct the Philaharmonic Orchestra,” he informed, adding that one evening after Kishore’s death, when he was sitting with RD Burman in his living room discussing a song while Sumit fiddled with his keyboard in the corner, Panchamda abruptly stopped in mid-sentence. “He said, ‘The little boy is playing wonderfully. Amit, you must teach him the piano.’”

Sumit’s mother, Leena Chandravarkar, who joined us, admitted that both boys reminded her of her late husband, “Sumit is a prankster just like his baba,” informed Leena, remembering how Kishore was always trying to scare everyone with his practical jokes. “Amit has his voice. He sings and speaks exactly like him. Once, when he called me from the airport, his ‘hello’ sounded so much like Kishore’s that for a moment I was speechless. When I told Amit this, he pointed out that his ‘awaaz’ (voice) had to be like ‘baba’s’, after all he was his son.”

Leena went on to talk about a show at Shanmukhananda Hall. Kishore and Amit were singing the Padosan chartbuster, Ek Chatur Naar Badi Hoshiyar… that ended with Amit spread on the stage, his ‘baba’ sitting on his chest and trying to mock strangle him.

Sumit was watching from the wings and seeeing his ‘bhaiya’ in a vulnerable position, the four year old jumped to his rescue.

“He ran out, clambered on his ‘baba’s’ back and started punching him with his little fists,” says Leena. “The audience were on their feet, laughing and clapping. After that, Sumit’s spontaneous act became an regular item at Kishore Kumar shows and always drew the same thunderous applause.”

Kishore would have turned 82 on August 4. But he left us 24 years ago, when only 58. His sons and Leena too have moved out of Gauri Kunj. But every morning, when I drive by Maneckji Cooper School behind which the bunglow stood, I remember Amit telling me how his ‘baba’ and he had once been abusing the kids-next-door for breaking one more window when suddenly a little voice piped up. “It was quite a sight,” giggled Leena. “Three ‘boys’ from three different generations hollering at the schoolboys while their teacher watched in open-mouthed amazement.”

The memory never fails to make me laugh... Bade achche the who din…

Don't let someone become a priority in your life,
when you are just an option in their life
+Quote Post
Marcilo
post Aug 4 2011, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 309

Dev Anand, Lata remember Kishore Kumar
August 04, 2011 6:11:06 PM

PTI | New Delhi
http://www.dailypioneer.com/358332/Dev-Anand-Lata-remember-Kishore-Kumar.html

Dev Anand and Lata Mangeshkar went down memory lane on Kishore Kumar's 81st birth anniversary today to pay tribute to the legendary singer.

"Happy birthday Kishore, you are immortal. He sang his first song for me in Ziddi, 'Marne ki duayen kyu maangu'. His style had Saigal touch," the veteran actor tweeted.

Incidentally, melody queen Lata also tweeted about the same film, mentioning the first duet she sang with Kishore.

"Its Kishoreda's birthday today. I met him in 1948 and our first duet was recorded for the film 'Ziddi'. Khemchand Prakashji had composed the music and I think it was Kishoreda's first film as a playback singer. 'Jag mag jag mag karta nikla chand', his solo song, was a hit at the time," she posted on the micro-blogging site.

"Kishoreda was an amazing singer but also had the qualities of a song writer, music director, film director, actor, producer and story writer. He was very modest and lived like an ordinary man. He used to make us laugh a lot in the recording sessions. I'm missing him
a lot today," she added.

Dev Anand continued his reminiscence in further tweets. "His voice had great resonance though not a trained singer but used to come for recordings only after proper rehearsal or he used to postpone.

"Though I like all his songs but 'Dukhi man mere', 'Phoolo ke rang se' are close to my heart, before recording he used to ask me if I want him to sing in any particular way to match my mannerisms, so I used to tell him to keep me in mind while singing and I used to perform on his style, great synchronization. I truly miss him," he wrote.

- Just another gummy bear fan
+Quote Post
Marcilo
post Aug 4 2011, 08:33 PM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/enterta...how/9481960.cms

Bollywood legends Lata Mangeshkar and Dev Anand paid tribute to singer, actor, musician and director Kishore Kumar on his 81st birth anniversary Thursday.

"Namaskar, aaj Kishore-da ka janam din hai. Meri Kishore-da ki mulaqat 1948 mein hui aur Kishore-da aur mera pehela duet 'Ziddi' film ke liye record hua (Today is Kishore-da's birthday. We met in 1948 and we recorded our first duet for film 'Ziddi')," Lata posted on her Twitter page.

"I think as a playback singer, it was his first movie and his solo 'Jagmag jagmag karta nikla chand' was a huge hit that time," she added.

Together, Lata and Kishore have given hits like "Aaj madhosh hua jaye re", "Aap ki aankhon mein kuchh", "Achha to hum chalte hain" and many more.

The 81-year-old Lata recollected that despite being so multi-talented, Kishore was a down-to-earth man.

"Kishore-da was an excellent singer but he was a good director, music director, actor, producer...he had all these talents but he had no ego and was a very polite and nice person. Whenever we used to meet for recordings, he used to make us laugh. Even today I miss him," she added.

Yesteryears' star Dev Anand too shared a beautiful bond with Kishore, and the two became good friends when Kishore sang for Dev Anand in the movie " Ziddi". And the 87-year-old feels that the singer's style had touches of legendary K.L. Saigal.

"Happy birthday Kishore, you are immortal. He sang his first song for me in 'Ziddi' -- 'Marne ki duayen kyun maangu'. His style had a Saigal touch. Early years of Kishore's singing had a touch of legendary K.L. Saigal and later he developed his own style and was great in all types of songs," Dev Anand posted on Twitter.

"His voice had great resonance. Though not a trained singer, he used to come for recordings only after proper rehearsal or he used to postpone. Though I like all his songs, but 'Dukhi mann mere' and 'Phoolon ke rang se' are close to my heart.

"Before recording, he used to ask me if I want him to sing in any particular way to match my mannerisms. So I used to tell him to keep me in mind while singing and I used to perform on his style, great synchronisation. I truly miss him," he added.

+Quote Post
Marcilo
post Aug 4 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Nice Picture at following link --

http://www.thebhopalpost.com/index.php/201...rthday-special/

+Quote Post
Marcilo
post Aug 4 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Kishore-Kuma...le1-727712.aspx

Kishore Kumar once more... (read on)

+Quote Post
Marcilo
post Aug 4 2011, 08:48 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Kishore Kumar fans to remember him with his songs

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/lu...how/9480010.cms

LUDHIANA: City residents are all set to pay tribute to singer, actor, director, musician and producer Kishore Kumar, on his 81st birth anniversary on Thursday.

Residents including members of Kishore memorial society, apart from paying tribute to Kishore Kumar, will pray for the first wife of Kishore Kumar, Ruma Guha Thakurta, known as Ruma Ghosh. She is at present admitted in a hospital in Mumbai and residents are praying for her early recovery.

An event to be organized on Thursday will pay tribute to Kishore Kumar and songs dedicated to the legendary singer would be sung on the occasion. The autobiography of Kishore Kumar will be read out to people and the society members will play a compact disc of Kishore Kumar's songs that are great hits.

Educationist Ravi Nandan Sharma said Kishore memorial society was established in 1997. The society has organized more than 25 events in memory of Kishore Kumar. The main objective of the society is promotion of culture and people should listen to old melodies in an era of item songs. He said their society has brought into limelight two talented singers, Arvind Gujral and Harpreet Deol, who have done the city proud in music reality shows. He said on Thursday, they would pay tribute to Kishore Kumar by remembering him and will also pray for early recovery of his first wife Rumba, who is admitted in a hospital in Mumbai.

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Aug 5 2011, 10:21 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

THANK YOU MARCILO smile1.gif

God, how I miss Kishore Kumar - may his soul rest in peace.

It is sad that Amit could not reach that level of success like his father.
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Aug 8 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Bhopal pays tribute to Kishore da in a magical evening-

Bhopal: A musical evening was organised on Wednesday evening by the Samrat Sangeet Sadhna Samiti in memory of legendary singer Kishore Kumar.

Child singer Sonu Salve began the evening by singing ‘Jeevan ke din’.

Noted singer Bhupinder Singh brought the audience to their feet by performing evergreen hits like ‘Musafir hu yaaron’. Singers Jayant Chakravarti, Dr Vasudev Sarkar and Mausam Dubey sang their hearts out to pay tribute to Kishore Da on the magic rainy evening.

August 4 is a landmark day for Indian music as it’s Kishor Kumar’s birth anniversary.

Don't let someone become a priority in your life,
when you are just an option in their life
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Aug 23 2011, 03:38 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

I was very innocent and naïve when I joined the film industry. I was born in Dharwad in Karnataka and was always keen on becoming an actress.

Then I got selected in a contest — that’s how I got my first film.

I never had a sense of humour as I had a very strict upbringing. I was brought up in a sheltered environment. My father was an Army officer and always roamed around with a revolver. I was very scared of him. When I told him I wanted to act, he was very upset and for the first time in his life, he hit me. Later, he deeply regretted his action.

We had heard so many stories about the film industry and believed that girls from good families never acted in films, but he finally relented. However, the industry welcomed me with open arms
After acting in a few movies, I got engaged to Siddharth Bandodkar.

Once when we had gone for a holiday we saw Kishore Kumar with his third wife, Yogita Bali. Siddharth was a great fan of Kishoreji and wanted to meet him.

I refused to introduce them and told Siddharth that I was scared of Kishore Kumar. He laughed and asked me if I was planning to marry Kishore Kumar. I promptly said, “Never.” It is indeed true that you must never say never as you never know what destiny has in store for you. I ended up marrying Kishore Kumar.

I lost my husband Siddharth soon after we got married and was very depressed. I was hardly 22 and had great trouble coping with it. I used to talk to Siddharth in my loneliness. I felt him telling me that he would always be there for me and I should move on with my life. Those were the darkest days of my life.

Kishoreji wanted to do a film with me. He had written three scripts for me and he kept meeting me on the pretext of narrating the script and chat with me for hours. One fine day, he proposed to me.

I refused immediately but he didn’t say a word and said he wanted to narrate a script. I refused to meet him. But finally, I signed his film Pyaar Ajnabee and my friendship with Kishoreji deepened.

I realised he was a genuine human being. I had heard stories of his eccentricities but they were false. There was a gap of 21 years between us, plus, he was married thrice, but gradually I fell in love with him. I realised that I would be happy with him. Unfortunately, I spent just nine years with him from 1979 to 1987, but they were the most treasured moments of my life.

When I told my parents about my decision to marry him, they were very angry. They had heard stories about him and were concerned. When I called up Kishoreji, the first thing he asked me was whether my parents had consented. I said they hadn’t and had instead left for Dharwad. He was delighted and said, “Well, now I am free to marry you.” Then he said, “Let’s go to Dharwad and take your parents’ permission.”

I was sure my parents would never agree. But when we reached Dharwad, my mother and brother greeted him with so much warmth. He later asked for a mat and a harmonium. He sat down to sing songs to please my father but my father did not relent. His last song was Nafrat karne walon ke seene mein pyaar bhar do. My father came around and hugged him and said, “Your voice has touched my heart and I am sure you will keep my daughter happy.”

Meanwhile, I had to take Amit Kumar’s permission to marry his father. Amit was just a few years older than me. I told him I needed a companion and that I found this companionship in his father. We didn’t get along well in the beginning.

But now, he has become a pillar of strength. Our relationship is very chaste and pure. I know after Kishoreji’s death people commented on our relationship but Amit was very considerate.

My brother Anil was everything and more that I could ask for in a brother. He was a brilliant student and sacrificed a lot for me.

Unfortunately, life proved a tough experience for him. He supported me through my bad times but when he was going through a rough patch emotionally, he never let me know. He killed himself in May ’85. He was just 38. Once again, I went into depression but this time Kishoreji was there with me. But nobody can fill the void Anil had left in me.

When Kishoreji was sitting in my house in Dharwad sipping tea he saw a picture of Siddharth and me. At night, my mother took it away to her room. She told him since we were getting married, she thought it better to keep away the picture. So he asked my mother, “Can you remove him from your heart? Let him remain where he is.” That was Kishore Kumar.

Whenever I had a nightmare about him dying early, he said, “Even if I die early, I will always remain in people’s hearts.” The day he died was like a nightmare that never ended. My tears have dried up, but when I look back I remember his words.

He does indeed live in the hearts of so many people. I have seen a lot of ups and downs in life, but I worship him because he was so full of life and he taught me to laugh.

As told to Shama Bhagat

Leena chandavarkar

DECCAN CHRONICLE
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Aug 29 2011, 12:10 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

Change is the only reason why I have survived so long - Kishore Kumar
Sea waves, passage of time and the journey of life, can never be the same. Their pace and speed always keep on changing and when these changes come, keeping in mind its timing and demands, it is wise to bring about changes in oneself. This is equally applicable to all professions.

In the last decade our Film music has led a new road to the journey. Those who could not gauge this new path, or whose legs denied to follow the truths of its changes, they ceased to be the pasengers of this journey. Talat Mahmood has been a sweet and sentimental singer of the Hindi Film Industry. His voice has the vibrant attraction and all, but his singing style has always been soft soft, slow slow songs, due to which in the Gazal genre he has left no comparisons, but due to this very slow singing style , he could not adapt the fast pace of the current music. Rafi sahab had a beautiful flexibility. His singing was also not caught in any kind of limitations. On one hand he sang 'Man tadapat hari darshan ko aaj' and on another a different spectrum songs like 'Badan pe sitaare lapete hue' and by giving equal importance and by always singing in his unique manner, he proved that he could sing in any genre of music. And that is the reason why he remained the most popular singer till the end.

I have adopted this secret of Rafi sahab. I have sung songs of every mood, every emotion, every situation. Today also this is continuing. Let me tell you the truth that I have survided for so many years in this industry, only because of this. When a person adapts himself to the changing times, only then he can always create new milestones in future.

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Oct 10 2011, 02:36 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKVD6T3071k

Pyar maanga hein tumise (Kishore kumar)
+Quote Post
debjyoti
post Oct 11 2011, 11:04 AM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 53448

QUOTE(Sharmila-Sweet @ Oct 10 2011, 02:36 PM) *

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKVD6T3071k

Pyar maanga hein tumise (Kishore kumar)

Great superhit romantic song of Kishore Kumar Bappi Lahiri combination.

JAI MAHAGURU PARAMATMA MAHAPRABHU SHRI KISHOREDA BHAGWAN KI!!!
KISHORE KUMAR IS THE GREATEST SINGER AND ALL-ROUNDER ARTIST IN THE WORLD!!!
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Nov 22 2011, 09:47 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

Kishore Kumar's family gathers for Ruma Devi's birthday

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/stills/par...hday/index.html
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Nov 25 2011, 12:33 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

http://www.google.ie/search?q=kishore+kuma...018&bih=542
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:48 PM