Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hollywood Movies Antakshari

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hollywood Movies Antakshari
Faraaj73
post Apr 19 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #31

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 58864

QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Apr 19 2009, 02:59 PM) *

Yankee Doodle Dandy 1942

Cagney was known for his "gangster" image, he did a volte face here with Yankee Doodle Dandy and danced his way with aplomb to an Oscar.

Great film Madhavi!

Cagney always identified himself as a musical star but Warners typecast him after the success of the gangster film Public Enemy (1931). He got to break out in this role and yes, he danced his way with aplomb! This is a biopic of George M. Cohan, a legendary performer and the only person whose statue is displayed on Broadway in New York. Cohan saw Yankee Doodle Dandy while he was literally on his deathbed - it was screened privately for him a few weeks before he died.

I'm uploading two of Cohan's biggest hits from the 1910s (songs which are quite rare now). I quite like them. Both songs are mp3/128 kbps....

Yojimbo (1961)
Yojimbo, based on noir writer Dashiel Hammett's Red Harvest is a magnificently entertaining film. Toshiro Mifune stars as the nobody who calls himself Sanjuro (thirty but closer to forty). He enters a town destroyed by warring factions and plays a double-game to pit one faction against the other thus destroying the criminal element.

Yojimbo (aka The Bodyguard) is one of the coolest and most stylish films ever made. Starring Toshiro Mifune, Kurosawa's favorite actor, as the scruffy looking Samurai, Yojimbo has all of Kurosawa's qualities and none of the flaws. The music score is an essential element of the plot and strikingly good, but admittedly bettered by the Ennio Morricone version in the Spaghetti Western remake Fistful of Dollars. The visuals are great, from the samurai swordplay, to the desolate streets, the town crier announcing its 3 a.m. to the brutal torture scene.

One of the unique things about Yojimbo is the central character. He is an anti-hero. We see him initially as a killer and a man greedy for money. But then, he saves a family by re-uniting mother and child and giving them all the money he was advanced. Mifune has never been cooler than in this film and Eastwood could only aspire to equal such a performance.

Of the two remakes, I liked Fistful of Dollars for starting the Spaghetti Western genre, although Yojimbo is a far more superior and stylish film. The gangster version, Last Man Standing, was not very good and Bruce Willis made for a poor substitute to Yojimbo.

Attached Image

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo

There is only one better thing than music - live music. - Jacek Bukowski

I hate music, especially when it's played. - Jimmy Durante

No good opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible. - W. H. Auden
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmuk2004
post Apr 19 2009, 11:53 PM
Post #32

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 907

Wonderful movie, the Kurosawa/Mifune combo at their best! Thanks Faraaj for the interesting and informative write-up and the songs.

Oliver! 1968

The cover says it all smile1.gif (Disregard those highbrows who look down on the Oscars wink2.gif )

Have not seen it yet...but one of Carol Reed's films, The Third Man is amongst my favorite films.

This post has been edited by mmuk2004: Apr 22 2009, 11:47 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

"This isn't right, this isn't even wrong."
Wolfgang Pauli (1900-1958)

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Apr 20 2009, 03:55 PM
Post #33

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Apr 20 2009, 04:23 AM) *

Oliver! 1968

Have not seen it yet...but one of Carol Reed's films, The Third Man is amongst my favorite films.

Madhavi

If you liked The Third Man for the superb photography and atmosphere, you have to see Oliver! Its the best Dickens adaptation (yes, it beats David Lean!), the recreation of 19th century London is amazing. No amount of CGI can match that. And the choreography on two of the lovely songs - Consider Yourself and Who Will Buy is among the best in any film english or indian.....

Raging Bull (1980)
A biopic, this is one of the most "mentally" violent films ever made - the central character of Jake LaMotta is truly repulsive and has been called a "cockroach". DeNiro played LaMotta with passion and won a well-deserved Oscar. For the role, he actually trained to be a boxer, entered into and won two boxing matches. He also gained (and later lost) 60 pounds for the role eating huge amounts of pasta for four months straight. That's dedication. The grainy black & white photography is superb and all the blood you see is actually Hershey's chocolate. Scorcese being passed over for even a nomination was a great injustice which led to the famous quip that "Raging Bull was the first film to direct itself"....

Attached Image

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo

No good opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible. - W. H. Auden
+Quote Post
mmuk2004
post Apr 22 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #34

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Apr 20 2009, 05:25 AM) *

QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Apr 20 2009, 04:23 AM) *

Oliver! 1968

Madhavi

If you liked The Third Man for the superb photography and atmosphere, you have to see Oliver! Its the best Dickens adaptation (yes, it beats David Lean!), the recreation of 19th century London is amazing. No amount of CGI can match that. And the choreography on two of the lovely songs - Consider Yourself and Who Will Buy is among the best in any film english or indian.....

Another film in my long list of must see films now sigh.gif Yes, am planning to watch it during summer, now that you have recommended it so highly... smile1.gif

This post has been edited by mmuk2004: Apr 22 2009, 11:35 AM

+Quote Post
mmuk2004
post Apr 22 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #35

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Lantana 1982

A very interesting movie, a thriller and yet not really a thriller.

This post has been edited by mmuk2004: Apr 22 2009, 11:42 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Apr 22 2009, 05:19 PM
Post #36

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Apr 22 2009, 04:10 PM) *

Lantana 1982

A very interesting movie, a thriller and yet not really a thriller.

Madhavi

I haven't yet seen Lantana although it is considered one of the best Aussie films ever. Other acclaimed Aussie films I have seen and liked include Picnic at Hanging Rock (brilliant), Walkabout (quite good photography) and Ghosts of the Civil Dead (very disturbing and realistic). From my side... (it'll be interesting to see your response!)

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)
If you've ever wondered what a cult classic is and what the fuss is all about, watch this low-budget gem. John Carpenter, who went on to classics like Halloween and The Thing (horror) and Escape from New York (thriller), is a genuine auteur and Assault absolutely proves it....very atmospheric, brilliantly directed in a guerilla film-making style, it has to be seen despite the no-name cast.

Attached Image

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
mmuk2004
post Apr 23 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #37

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Apr 22 2009, 06:49 AM) *

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)
If you've ever wondered what a cult classic is and what the fuss is all about, watch this low-budget gem.

Faraaj,

Much, much obliged for the recommendation. Just saw it. A B movie, yes inded it it epitomizes what the fuss is all about. On a budget, focussed on the specific needs of an audience, it delivers, and how! Tight, it builds up to the action with that fantastic background music, and the shocking ice-cream van scene, and then when the action comes, it is relentless and terrifying. Excellent movie. The action takes place in a police precint in inner city L.A. that is in the process of being shifted to another place. It is the last evening before it will be closed, a violent gang decides to focus its anger on it and wipe out everybody who happens to be inside it. The dialogues are a tad cheesy, the relationships are believable, and the homage to Hawkes is obvious.

Have not seen Night of the Living Dead and now I need to see Halloween again. Have not seen too many horror flicks. I prefer the sylized earlier silent horror films and the Tim Burton style which keep the horror and terror at a bit of a distance.

This post has been edited by mmuk2004: Apr 24 2009, 07:30 AM

+Quote Post
mmuk2004
post Apr 23 2009, 11:21 PM
Post #38

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

3rd Man (1949) (Disregard the "The" again wink2.gif )

What a film! If you want atmosphere and style and the romance of films, this is it. It has Joseph Cotton playing the naive American writer of bad westerns, who has come to Vienna to meet up with his friend, Harry Lime. He comes to his funeral. And then meets up and falls in love with his friend's girlfriend and then meets up with his friend. Shot on location, Reed fought with Selznick over all the details of the film and got his way. So you get Post WW2 Vienna, bombed and savaged, with its slick long streets and crumbling buildings and cemeteries and sewers. A dark city peopled with morally ambiguous characters who know about treachery and betrayal and disillusionment. You get tilted camera angles and breathtaking black and white photography, and that insistent zither (annoying at times but integral to the film). And you get Orson Welles as Harry Lime. ... What more do you want? thumbs-up.gif

[img][/img]

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Apr 24 2009, 05:14 PM
Post #39

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Apr 24 2009, 03:51 AM) *

3rd Man (1949)

The 3rd Man contains one of the greatest dialogues in film history, delivered by the evil Harry Lime

"...in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock!"

Carol Reed hadn't scripted what Lime was going to say in the scene. Welles came up with this twisted gem!

Madhavi

You absolutely have to see a neo-noir gem called The Long Good-bye (1975) directed by the enfant terrible of the 70s, Robert Altman. Based on the Raymond Chandler (The Big Sleep) novel with the same central character of Phillip Marlowe, its a brilliant film and also intelligently plays homage to various classic noir's - including The 3rd Man. Its one of the great films.....

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
mmuk2004
post Apr 24 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #40

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

What do you think tongue1.gif Ofc I have seen it and I loved it... In fact Altman is one of my favorite directors. Have seen most of his movies. Check out an obscure film of Altman, one of the first I saw of his, that set me off on checking out all his movies, strange and yet compelling.

Come back to 5 and dime Jimmy Dean Jimmy Dean

His weakest is the Greer one, cannot remember the name. Dr. something and women.

"...in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock!"

Now did you have to go and deliver the punch line of the movie! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by mmuk2004: Apr 24 2009, 08:13 PM

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Apr 25 2009, 07:59 AM
Post #41

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

No Country for Old Men (2008)
Roger Ebert has called the Coen Brothers an American institution. I agree! I also think that the finest fiction writer of the past three decades is Cormac McCarthy. The Coens and McCarthy joined hands on what is certainly the Coens best film and for me one of the top five of the 21st century. This is a film that works on so many different levels - as a thriller/chase film, a visual and technical masterpiece, and ultimately as a study of the nature of evil. Before seeing NCFOM, I never believed the Coens could top Fargo and The Big Lebowski. I stand corrected, but I really can't see them topping this one....

Film adaptations of two other Cormac McCarthy novels are up for release in the coming months or year - The Road (their Pulitzer prize winner) and Blood Meridian (a masterly but very violent critique of American/Indian relations)....

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Faraaj73: Apr 25 2009, 08:01 AM

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
hildebrand
post Apr 25 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #42

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 39973

North By Northwest

Its one of my favourite Hitchcock movies. Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint did a wonderful job.
The crop duster scene and the climax at Mt. Rushmore had me riveted to my seat!
A very beautifully shot movie with wonderful music. In some ways the movie was quite Bond-like!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
Best Regards
Hildebrand

Samandar ko Baandhe Aisa Koi Ghaat Nahi, Kadmon ko thaame aisi koi baat nahin Patli si dhaara samundar mein milti hai, milkar ke kho jaati hai, ghaat ghaat hi rehte hain woh samundar ho jaati hai, karlo jo chaaho, banlo jo chaaho

“Geet boodhe nahin hote, unke chehron pe jhurriyan nahi girti
wo palte rahte hain, chalte rahte hain
sun-ne walo ki umra badal jaati hai….”

Please Visit
http://www.anmolfankaar.com: A website dedicated to Artists of the Indian Subcontinent. Now follow it on twitter too. http://twitter.com/anmolfankaar

http://www.shamshadbegum.com : A website dedicated to the Living Legend Shamshad Begum. May She Live Long.

http://www.madamnoorjehan.com : A website dedicated to Madam Noorjehan

http://www.geetadutt.com : A website dedicated to Geeta Dutt Nee Roy
+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Apr 26 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #43

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(hildebrand @ Apr 25 2009, 08:19 PM) *

North By Northwest

In some ways the movie was quite Bond-like!

Hildebrand

Cary Grant was the first choice for Bond but was asking for too much money. Between his financial demands and the fact that he was ageing, the producers decide to go for an unknown scot named Sean Connery....the rest is history!

Hitchcock operated in an era of strong censorship board authority. They were especially observant of his films because of the themes and their high profile. He always managed to find a way around it and risque references abound in all his films.

In N by NW witness the last scene. Cary Grant and Eva kiss. The code didn't allow Hitchcock to show anything more. But he suggested a lot more by cutting to the train entering a tunnel.....there's loads of double entendres in all his films.....I personally enjoy the way he tormented the censor board bureaucrats.....

This post has been edited by Faraaj73: Apr 26 2009, 03:58 PM

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Apr 26 2009, 04:04 PM
Post #44

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Them! (1954)

Possibly the greatest B movie of all time - others from the 40s-50s include Cat People and Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Them! is one of my favourite films. A sci-fi, nuclear, horror film - Them! really captures an era and the paranoia generated by nuclear testing. The low-budget gives it a marvellous visual authenticity not found in more expensive studio films of the time. This is one of my favourite films of all time....

Attached Image

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
hildebrand
post Apr 27 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #45

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 39973

QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Apr 26 2009, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(hildebrand @ Apr 25 2009, 08:19 PM) *

North By Northwest

In some ways the movie was quite Bond-like!

Hildebrand

Cary Grant was the first choice for Bond but was asking for too much money. Between his financial demands and the fact that he was ageing, the producers decide to go for an unknown scot named Sean Connery....the rest is history!

Hitchcock operated in an era of strong censorship board authority. They were especially observant of his films because of the themes and their high profile. He always managed to find a way around it and risque references abound in all his films.

In N by NW witness the last scene. Cary Grant and Eva kiss. The code didn't allow Hitchcock to show anything more. But he suggested a lot more by cutting to the train entering a tunnel.....there's loads of double entendres in all his films.....I personally enjoy the way he tormented the censor board bureaucrats.....

Yes he sure tormented them like Raj Kapoor did here! biggrin.gif
Any pakistani filmmaker with the same distinction?

Best Regards
Hildebrand

Samandar ko Baandhe Aisa Koi Ghaat Nahi, Kadmon ko thaame aisi koi baat nahin Patli si dhaara samundar mein milti hai, milkar ke kho jaati hai, ghaat ghaat hi rehte hain woh samundar ho jaati hai, karlo jo chaaho, banlo jo chaaho

“Geet boodhe nahin hote, unke chehron pe jhurriyan nahi girti
wo palte rahte hain, chalte rahte hain
sun-ne walo ki umra badal jaati hai….”

Please Visit
http://www.anmolfankaar.com: A website dedicated to Artists of the Indian Subcontinent. Now follow it on twitter too. http://twitter.com/anmolfankaar

http://www.shamshadbegum.com : A website dedicated to the Living Legend Shamshad Begum. May She Live Long.

http://www.madamnoorjehan.com : A website dedicated to Madam Noorjehan

http://www.geetadutt.com : A website dedicated to Geeta Dutt Nee Roy
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:21 AM