Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Singh Is King

, Jagjit Singh - The Ghazal King & More

38 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Singh Is King, Jagjit Singh - The Ghazal King & More
swarapriya
post Jun 2 2012, 02:59 AM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Angels
Member No.: 36307

Jagjit Singh - The Ghazal King

Jagjit Singh. He was a true legend in his own time. In a span of nearly 35 years, by several estimations, he released 80 plus discs. But during the same time, along with his singing wife Chitra (see the attached pictures below), he released nearly 400 albums. These included, apart from the individual albums, various collections of songs from his released albums. This number is truly an astonishing achievement.

Jagjit Singh, though popularly known for his ghazals, also had numerous devotional albums to his credit. He also was active in many films. He was occasionally participated in composing music for TV shows. He sang in many languages, but mostly in Hindi and his mother tongue, Punjabi.

He was decorated with innumerable awards. Prominent of these include Padma Bhushan, Sahitya Academy Award, Sangeet Natak Academy Award, Sahitya Kala Academy Award, and host of others.

I was encouraged by several members of this Forum to start a thread on Jagjitji. Finally I decided to take the plunge.

Jagjitji, who passed away in 2011 at the age of 70, left us with a legacy of overwhelming song contributions. Singhji was affectionately known as the Ghazal King. Because he lives through his work in our hearts forever, Singhji is still the King.

I will start this thread with Singhji’s discography. I split this into various parts, sorted alphabetically. Each part of the discography lists 20 albums. I will upload these parts below.

I will follow up this with a devotional album of Jagjitji.

Next, the discography…

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 2 2012, 03:04 AM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Jagjit Singh Discography

Here is the discography of Jagjit Singhji...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 2 2012, 03:08 AM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Continuing Jagjit Singh Discography

Here is more of Jagjitji's discography...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 2 2012, 03:10 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Concluding Jagjit Singh Discography...

Here is the rest of the discography of Jagjitji...

Attached image(s)
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 2 2012, 03:31 AM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Shri Ganesh

It is an amazing fact, at least for me, that Jagjitji had nearly 50 devotional albums. We will kick off this thread with this beautiful album of prayers to Lord Ganesha where there are eight separate bhajans. I will upload them in two back-to-back posts.

Here are the bhajans in the first post...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 2 2012, 03:48 AM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Concluding Bhajans from "Shri Ganesh"...

Here are the rest of the bhajans from this beautiful album...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 5 2012, 03:31 AM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

The Unforgettables (1976)

This was the first recorded album of Chitra & Jagjit Singh. The singing format that the couple adopted for their first album was unconventional. In an interview Jagjitji explained that "I was determined to polish up the genre and make it more acceptable to modern tastes, so chose simple poems and set them to simple tunes. I also introduced western instrumentation to make them livelier." This formula proved a winner and the couple never looked back after this thundering success with their first album. The album became an overnight best seller and heralded a new couple to the horizon of ghazal singing group. Of the 11 ghazals from the album, Jagjitji’s “Baat Niklegi” became a sensational hit. Critics described it as ground breaking, transformative, and a milestone in the history of ghazal music.

Of the 11 tracks in the album there are four solos by Jagjitji and five by Chitraji. Two are duets. I am uploading these ghazals in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first set…

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 5 2012, 03:50 AM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Concluding Ghazals from "The Unforgettables (1976)"...

Here are the rest of the ghazals from this incredible first album of Chitra & Jagjit Singh...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 6 2012, 10:37 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Bahuroopi (1969) - A Gujarati Film

We have already seen two facets of Jagjitji; devotional albums and ghazal albums. The third facet he made himself name was in films and television. He either sang one or two songs for them, or composed music for them, or both. Here are some of the details of his first movie...

Jagjit Singh’s first break as a singer came in this Gujarati movie. In this 1969 film, he sang a beautiful song “Laagee Raam” composed by Ajit Merchant. At this time Jagjit was still a bachelor and had typical Sardarji’s looks. After this he changed his image by removing both his pagdi and beard. He later married Chitraji who was from Bengal. She was a divorcee and already had a daughter by her first marriage.

Jagjitji remembered his Gujarati connection throughout his life. He visited Ahmedabad at least twice a year and performed there numerous times.

Even though this film was the first one for which he sang, it was not the first time he sang a Gujarati song. He sang a Gujarati song that was composed by Avinash Vyas for a gathering in 1968 at the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. Bhavan used to encourage young singers to perform at its gatherings. The occasion where Jagjitji got the opportunity to sing was for Bhavan’s “Song of the Month” gathering. For his efforts Singhji received a sum of 250 Rupees.

“Laagee” is the only song Jagjitji sang for the film “Bahuroopi”. I don’t have other songs from the film to share with you. If any one of you can share, please kindly do so. Thanks.

Now for the only song from this film I have…

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Jun 7 2012, 08:58 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 9 2012, 12:24 AM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Krishna Bhajans

This is another beautiful devotional album from the singing duo Chitra & Jagjit Singh. I will upload these bhajans in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first set...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 9 2012, 12:46 AM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Concluding Bhajans from "Krishna Bhajans"...

Here are the rest of the bhajans from this beautiful album...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 11 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

A Milestone...

Jagjitji's early albums generally tended to have English titles. That was true with his and Chitraji's first album "The Unforgettables". So is this one and many others that followed it.

This 1980 album has 10 beautiful ghazals in it. I will upload them in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first set...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 11 2012, 11:57 PM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Concluding Ghazals from "A Milestone..."...

Here are the rest of the ghazals from this fine album...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 13 2012, 10:09 PM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Aavishkar (1973)

This is one of the fine movies about feuding couples where the two principal actors, Sharmila and Rajesh Khanna, gave superb performances. There are only few songs in this movie but each one of them is a gem. The song "Naina Hain" by Asha is a real beauty. She sang with such deep pathos and passion that it lingers in your thoughts for some time.

Jagjitji and Chitraji sang only one song in this film. It is also a sheer beauty. It appears twice in the film. I am uploading the second part in the second post. The quality of this part is just fair. I am also uploading a slightly different take on the same song rendered in classical style by Jagjitji in a concert in Mumbai. It is heart hugging and if you are only used to Jagjitji's ghazals this singing will simply blow you out. Done in Bharavi Raag, it is one superbly executed lovely. Incidentally, this song was apparently written by Wajad Ali Shah, the Last Nawab of Avadh. I cannot authenticate this but the CD simply lists lyrics as traditional.

I am uploading songs from this album in two back-to-back posts. The first post contains all songs from an original soundtrack album. The second post contains songs taken from a DVD.

Now for the songs in the first post...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jun 13 2012, 10:27 PM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Concluding Songs from "Aavishkar (1973)"...

The songs in this post are all from a DVD of the film. The second part of the "Baabul" song comes near the end of the film and its audio quality in the DVD wasn't that good. I am uploading here at a lower bit rate for completeness sake.

Here are the songs in this post including Mannada's beautiful extended version of the song "Hansne Ki"..

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

38 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:38 PM