Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Remembering Sahir Ludhianvi, The Romantic Rebel.

> Remembering Sahir Ludhianvi, The Romantic Rebel.
Zayed
post Oct 25 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2153

Hello members,

REMEMBERING SAHIR LUDHIANVI, THE ROMANTIC REBEL :

<<Mumbai, Oct 24 (IANS) Twenty-five years after his death, Sahir Ludhianvi's eloquent lyrics continue to resonate in people's minds, and no one in Bollywood is likely to take his place.

Though legions of lyricists have followed since his death Oct 25, 1980, seldom has there been a poet who brimmed with as much cynicism, scorn and disparagement for the modern world as Sahir (meaning enchanter or magician).

The poignancy in Sahir's creations was nurtured at a very young age when he faced his parents' estrangement as a teenager.

Born Adbul Hayee at Ludhiana in Punjab March 8, 1921, to Sardar Begum, one of his father Fazal Din's 14 wives, the Lahore High Court had to affirm Sahir's legitimacy when his own father questioned it.

This anguish is reflected in many of his lyrics like "Tu mere pyar ka phool hai" ("Dhool Ka Phool", 1959) and "Tu mere saath rahega munna" ("Trishul", 1978) -- which rebel against the concept of illegitimacy.

"Even as a person he never bothered whom he was facing although he was very kind-hearted. He just lashed out at people," says veteran music director Ravi, who composed the music for some of Sahir's greatest lyrics like "Chalo ek baar phir se" ("Humraaz", 1963), "Aage bhi jaane na tu" ("Waqt", 1965) and "Chhoo lene do naazuk hothon ko" ("Kaajal", 1965).

"After him Hindi film lyrics lost their potency. Today people can only write garbage. Show me someone who can match Sahir and I will return to the industry," Ravi told us.

Sahir's anti-establishment nature was first seen after he migrated to Pakistan, when a warrant for his arrest was issued in 1949 by the government there because of his tirade against the authorities. As a result, he fled to Mumbai.

Though "Naujawan" (1951) was his debut film, Sahir's first major success came later that year with Guru Dutt's "Baazi", where S.D. Burman set his poetry to music.

Thus began a successful collaboration with Burman that yielded some of his most popular songs, like "Yeh raat yeh chandni phir kahaan" ("Jaal", 1952) and "Teri duniya mein jeene se behtar hai ki mar jaayen" ("House Number 44", 1955).

Unfortunately the duo parted ways after reaching their high point with "Pyasa" (1957) in which Sahir bloomed into what he subsequently came to be known as - the romantic rebel.

Be it romance, patriotism, philosophy or devotional songs, he injected rebellion and cynicism into all his creations. The strong intellectual element in his poetry caught the imagination of the youth in the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s.

Using his command over Urdu and Hindi, Sahir mocked religious dogma in "Sansar se bhaage phirte ho" ("Chitralekha", 1965), grandstanding politicians in "Jinhe naaz hai hind par woh kahan hai" ("Pyasa") and society in "Aurat ne janam diya mardon ko, mardon ne usse bazaar diya" ("Sadhana", 1958)

Sahir's cynicism did not spare even the majestic Taj Mahal. While he wrote lyrics for "Taj Mahal" (1963), not a single song in it eulogised or even referred to the marble monument.

Instead he ridiculed the grand mausoleum, which he loathed for its opulence.

In "Ghazal" (1964), he wrote: "Ek shahenshah ne daulat ka sahara lekar hum gareebon ki mohabbat ka udaya hai mazaak, meri mehboob kahin aur milakar mujhse" (By building the beautiful mausoleum, an emperor has mocked at the poor man's love. My dear! Let's not make the Taj our meeting spot).

Although a bachelor, his romantic trysts with several women were well known. But the only woman important in his life was his mother.

Sahir, who was extremely attached to her, did not survive too long after she died in 1976.

Addiction to nicotine and alcohol took its toll and he succumbed to a heart attack, leaving behind a rich legacy of poetry.>>

MusicIndiaOnline
October, 2005

rolleyes.gif

Zayed

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
Zayed
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Zayed   Remembering Sahir Ludhianvi, The Romantic Rebel.   Oct 25 2005, 06:27 PM
humble_rafi   I am amazed how he expresses so beautifully MAAL...   Jan 7 2006, 02:18 AM
ashgupta3   I am amazed how he expresses so beautifully MAA...   Jan 10 2006, 01:20 AM
ashgupta3   Now Im listing Sahir’s songs from 1960s. The nex...   Jan 10 2006, 10:12 AM
Nimii   Ashok ji!! Wowowieeeeeeeeeeeee May I plac...   Jan 10 2006, 11:22 AM
r&d   Ashok ji!! Wowowieeeeeeeeeeeee May I pla...   Jan 10 2006, 12:27 PM
Nimii   Sahir Ludhianvi http://www.hindily...   Jan 10 2006, 11:25 AM
Talaikya   Ashok (difficult to get past "Ash"!)...   Jan 10 2006, 01:00 PM
ashgupta3   Thanx ppl for liking my choice of Sahir’s songs....   Jan 11 2006, 09:52 AM
r&d   Here are some movies not covered by Ashok for the ...   Jan 11 2006, 02:37 AM
r&d   for 60's there is not more I can add. Is Jaha...   Jan 11 2006, 02:50 AM
Nimii   Baazi 1951 Mere Labon Pe Chhipe Kishore Kumar S.D....   Jan 11 2006, 11:11 PM
Nimii   My Db of ASHA-SAHIR numbers - Still to be added :h...   Jan 11 2006, 11:15 PM
Nimii   Ashok JI style se kya hoga :mad: Songs de de Ash...   Jan 11 2006, 11:16 PM
balajigade   Hello members, [b][u]REMEMBERING SAHIR LUDHIANV...   Jan 11 2006, 11:31 PM
ashgupta3   There is no mention about the first film-song wri...   Jan 12 2006, 07:44 AM
r&d   Nimmi ji, Hope you don't mind if I request fe...   Jan 12 2006, 04:22 AM
Nimii   R &D Ayyo I said from my db!! It does ...   Jan 12 2006, 08:28 AM
ashgupta3   R &D Ayyo I said from my db!! It does...   Jan 12 2006, 09:48 AM
Jay   Great work friends! Respect to Sahir saab...ma...   Jan 12 2006, 09:21 AM
Nimii   But I cant divulge such SECRET info na Ash ji :P ...   Jan 12 2006, 10:04 AM
ashgupta3   Ok here is my final list of Sahir's songs from...   Jan 14 2006, 02:38 AM
Yasmin   Kindly upload this list as exel or pdf for the be...   Nov 17 2007, 03:17 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:55 PM