Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Can Not Write Tags Into Audio Files

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can Not Write Tags Into Audio Files
Purple_Fairy
post Mar 17 2008, 09:15 AM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5465

I have a relatively large collection of songs, so its not really possible
for me to remember singers, year or music directors for all of them...
so i write these info in to the tag...while the song title and film name
stays in the naming of the audio.

but i think certain audio files are protected or for some reason I CAN
NOT WRITE TAGS INTO THEM. it gives a message saying - "unable to write tags".
and it happens with only few or some files, not all.

so how can i write tags into these files.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Mar 17 2008, 09:20 AM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6005

Hi PF,

I have recently got a software called Tag&Rename which is supposed to do this exact thing. May be you can upload one such an example and I can check in this software if it does allow edit the tags or not !

Cheers
Parag

Please visit www.geetadutt.com
+Quote Post
Purple_Fairy
post Mar 17 2008, 01:21 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

yes, i will look for those songs and put one file here.
+Quote Post
rahuldravid
post Mar 17 2008, 01:29 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 9886

solution: change the attributes of file.
change it to archive. select the file, right click on properties
and un-check the box shown read only.

after this method, you should be able to tag mp3 files.
+Quote Post
HumTum
post Mar 17 2008, 07:40 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8009

QUOTE(rahuldravid @ Mar 17 2008, 01:29 PM) *
solution: change the attributes of file.
change it to archive. select the file, right click on properties
and un-check the box shown read only.

after this method, you should be able to tag mp3 files.

Bingo! If this is not taken care of, no tagging software can help you. huh.gif
+Quote Post
Purple_Fairy
post Mar 17 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

yes, it helped.
problem solved.
thank you.

it was write protected i guess.
+Quote Post
HumTum
post Mar 17 2008, 07:54 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Purple_Fairy @ Mar 17 2008, 07:51 PM) *
yes, it helped.
problem solved.
thank you.

it was write protected i guess.

That's right. When someone uploads a file from a cd direct it happens. ninja.gif
+Quote Post
musiclover77
post Mar 18 2008, 04:55 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 40626

i've given up tagging entirely. some day when i have money to spend frivolously, i will outsource my tagging to someone via the internet. i'll have them correspond each of my files to an entry in the electronic hindi film geet kosh (in the works) and then just import that data electronically. one can easily hire 100 people to do the job quickly & efficiently! but tagging by yourself all those files? fogetboutit
+Quote Post
Purple_Fairy
post Mar 23 2008, 04:48 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

yes it can be such an impossible toil to do all the songs at one go.
so easier is as and when u collect a song, tag it.
+Quote Post
AzgarKhan
post Mar 23 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 205

If you want to remove READ ONLY attribute from all the files in the folder.
You need to go to that specific directory/folder through dos 'Command Prompt' and type this command "Attrib -r *.*" without quotes.

+Quote Post
HumTum
post Mar 24 2008, 12:55 PM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(musiclover77 @ Mar 18 2008, 04:55 AM) *
i've given up tagging entirely. some day when i have money to spend frivolously, i will outsource my tagging to someone via the internet. i'll have them correspond each of my files to an entry in the electronic hindi film geet kosh (in the works) and then just import that data electronically. one can easily hire 100 people to do the job quickly & efficiently! but tagging by yourself all those files? fogetboutit

I don't blame you Musiclover bhai. In the short span you have managed to download 7gb. Thank god you are not on an Angel membership, else you would have gone crazy like me. sad.gif wacko.gif
+Quote Post
HumTum
post Mar 24 2008, 12:56 PM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Purple_Fairy @ Mar 23 2008, 04:48 PM) *
yes it can be such an impossible toil to do all the songs at one go.
so easier is as and when u collect a song, tag it.

Wise decision Sis. But I wish I had the time to download and tag too. sad.gif I feel so guilty that I have not uploaded stuff in a long time now. mellow.gif
+Quote Post
musiclover77
post Mar 25 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

QUOTE(HumTum @ Mar 24 2008, 03:25 AM) *
I don't blame you Musiclover bhai. In the short span you have managed to download 7gb. Thank god you are not on an Angel membership, else you would have gone crazy like me. sad.gif wacko.gif

Hum Tum ji,

Thank you for your post. You have reminded me of some thoughts I had wanted to make earlier. Do not think I'm being defensive or anything foolish like that. Just sharing my thoughts openly smile1.gif

If a person (1) doesn't have the song (2) wants to listen to the song (3) cannot get it in music stores, saregama, etc [which is the case via board rules] (4) will share the rare songs with other music lovers...

then download away! that's why someone uploads smile1.gif

some kind soul uploads because they want you to enjoy rare gems. actually, it is foolish not to make use of that. i like variety so i listen to many artists. i can easily go through 50+ songs in one session of listening and not even notice until my playlist gets so large that i struggle to navigate through it! then i delete it and create another large playlist the next day and so on. though you like many artists - your primary is kishore kumar so of course you'll download less. now, if someone downloads the same song multiple times (because he doesn't have knowledge of or hasn't listened to his own collection) or doesn't share again some rare songs - then i strongly oppose it. otherwise, this stigma with downloading (or pride in not) is awfully missing the point and i think it is important to realize this. so i actually encourage people to follow the above four "guidelines" smile1.gif

you are wonder ful Hum Tum ji. I'm always grateful for your immense and kind contributions in this forum whether it is helping discussions in threads or sharing a rare song that someone missed (especially when your internet speed is lacking), or even guiding some members who are about to go off track with uploading rules, etc. you have excellent personality. so just know i only posted this because you reminded me of something i had wanted to say earlier and not really a personal response to you. have a good day, and i'll see ya around!

smile1.gif
+Quote Post
Purple_Fairy
post Mar 25 2008, 11:41 PM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

what i dont unstand is when angel members have no ratio issue, why it makes a difference if they upload or not. simply being active throu post sud do.
+Quote Post
musiclover77
post Mar 26 2008, 02:58 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE(Purple_Fairy @ Mar 25 2008, 02:11 PM) *

what i dont unstand is when angel members have no ratio issue, why it makes a difference if they upload or not. simply being active throu post sud do.

i agree. however, it isn't about what one SHOULD and should not do (as someone said earlier, these things can't be legistated). however, if you are an angel, you do have more freedom to not miss some rare songs posted. i hear some members lamenting about missing rare uploads. so the angel member can kindly re-upload (which btw, if the files are properly tagged to begin with, become a very easy task). i have tried to do that on a few occasions. hum tum ji has been very kind in this regard when a poster would miss a good thread and request a particular song that he was interested in and Hum Tum would kindly help out the new member.

as for the tagging issue - it it extremely important to do so, i totally agree. but if you can get it done with money - go for it. it's only money. whereas tagging times a lot of your precious time and the task really dulls your brain imo. i really think that in the future there will be a clever way to automatically tag.

with american music, this is possible. there are programs that will intelligently match a track to amazon's song library. obviously they're still improving it but it is very promising. of course countries related to hfm don't have as much free money or initiative as usa to organize these matters, i understand.

but some day just imagine... biggrin.gif

1. there's an online data base of the hindi film geet kosh for people to access

2. young fans of hfm (i'd be one) learn to speak hindi / urdu (they'll be motiivated by the music) and can read write hindi or urdu

3. there are keyboards that let you quickly type those languages

4. instead of having hinglish you have pure languages. that way there will be universal spelling, a right and wrong in spelling. the advantage to this is you won't confusion with "ajab hai dasatan" or "ajab hai dastaan" etc. the benefit of this is that automated file readers (which will then decide what to tag) will not be confused.

5. then you software can automatically deduce the file name and do the tagging rather than you manually do it! just like the way it is done with amazon.

6. the software will propose the correct tags and you can just approve it (to make sure it correctly verified it). if it made a mistake, you disprove, and then it'll give the second best option. the more intelligent the software / machine, the less frustrating this'll become (and obviously technology is inevitable).

i'm actually banking on this little dream of mine laugh.gif

so in the mean while i can use the search engine in my library to find a particular song i want (even if it is not as perfectly tagged, correct tags exactly typed as they should be). and i can just get knowledge of the songs as listening to it e.g. i'll remember the tune i liked, singer, lyrics, etc. just like the way people are knowledgeable of songs by simply listening to the radio which obviously doesn't have tags or organization of what will be presented.

purple fairy ji, sorry for all these long posts in your thread - you just got me thinking and chatting away... laugh.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:07 PM