Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Queries On Universal Nature

, Or Nature of the Universe :smile:

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Queries On Universal Nature, Or Nature of the Universe :smile:
Talaikya
post Sep 14 2005, 04:07 AM
Post #16

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 402

... and what about the rest of us whose neurons are limited despite not even trying to understand the slowing of light?? Is enlightenment limited to those with an abundance of grey matter?? Not fair!! Not fair at all!! angry1.gif bad-news.gif headbang.gif hairpull.gif sobsob.gif

You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hits
post Sep 14 2005, 04:41 AM
Post #17

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
Member No.: 688

QUOTE(Talaikya @ Sep 13 2005, 04:37 PM)
... and what about the rest of us whose neurons are limited despite not even trying to understand the slowing of light?? Is enlightenment limited to those with an abundance of grey matter?? Not fair!! Not fair at all!!  angry1.gif  bad-news.gif  headbang.gif hairpull.gif  sobsob.gif

For those -

Enlightenment doth not lie betwixt rays of light. It lies unbeknownst, for it lies within.
+Quote Post
Mandrake
post Sep 14 2005, 09:13 AM
Post #18

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2066

EXACTLY, Hits!!!

Didn't I say 'search within'? wink2.gif

Self - belief is the most potent force.
+Quote Post
Mandrake
post Sep 14 2005, 10:06 AM
Post #19

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Anyways, since the issue cannot be left hanging, here goes (but in a verrrry simplified manner):

When you blow on the top of the hole in a flute, contrary to what most people believe, the air-stream doesn't split into two, and one enter the flute.

What happens is, the entire air-stream 'bounces' over the two opposite edges of the hole. Due to this, the air inside the flute (just under the hole) starts vibrating.
If you keep blowing continuously, slowly the entire air-column inside the flute starts vibrating till it finds it's natural rhythm. (Here I will not go into the technicalities of harmonics etc)

This entire action produces sound. The note of the sound depends upon the length of the air column. So, opening or closing of different holes of the flute produces different notes.

So essentially, if a hollow body has two holes at opposite ends, and if air is continuously blown *across* one hole, then the internal air mass vibrates to produce a continuous sound.

And now comes the most ordinary part (Bibhas you are going to kill me for this sad1.gif)
Any sound, if made continuously and held at a constant pitch (hopefully a low one), eventually sounds like a hum.
And doesn't 'hum' resonate with 'om'? wink2.gif

Something as mundane as a turbine, a generator motor or a vacuum cleaner, run for even 2 minutes will bear this out.

So also something more eclectic as a tanpura. Just keep listening to a tanpura for a few minutes and you'll catch the unmistakable sound of 'ommm' in it...

(Time to beat a hasty retreat before Bibhas smashes M to pulp....)

+Quote Post
shivani
post Sep 14 2005, 10:47 AM
Post #20

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2848

QUOTE(hits @ Sep 14 2005, 04:41 AM)
QUOTE(Talaikya @ Sep 13 2005, 04:37 PM)
... and what about the rest of us whose neurons are limited despite not even trying to understand the slowing of light?? Is enlightenment limited to those with an abundance of grey matter?? Not fair!! Not fair at all!!  angry1.gif  bad-news.gif  headbang.gif hairpull.gif  sobsob.gif

For those -

Enlightenment doth not lie betwixt rays of light. It lies unbeknownst, for it lies within.

aur un ka kya jinke paas grey black white koi matter nahi.. agar bhoole bhatke koi light ray udhar aa bhi jaye to cant shine on anything.. because of lack of matter ( from one of M's post where he siad light would not be visible in absence of particles).
ghor andhakar in mah head blink.gif
+Quote Post
kallubhai4u
post Sep 14 2005, 11:39 AM
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 2330

gr8 going...probably Talaikya needs a bit more understanding of basic sciences( pardon me 4 saying that).

moreover i'd like to tell Talaikya that despite having a low amount of the so called grey matter, u can achieve enlightenment only if u desire to. i'll advice u 2 go thru the previous posts, u'll get a better understanding of the whole issue.
bye.gif
+Quote Post
Mandrake
post Sep 14 2005, 12:28 PM
Post #22

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Kalyan bhai, you don't know T-ji yet wink2.gif

3248 posts in one year don't come from 'grey-matter challeged' people wink2.gif

(Methinks I am opening the suitcase that belonged to Ms. P. A. Ndora wink2.gif)

+Quote Post
kallubhai4u
post Sep 14 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

well i've got a question for all the members here...here it comes.

What is Mossbaeur Effect and what r its applications?

thats it 4 the moment.
bye!!!
+Quote Post
bibhas
post Sep 14 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #24

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1314

QUOTE(Mandrake @ Sep 14 2005, 12:36 AM)
Anyways, since the issue cannot be left hanging, here goes (but in a verrrry simplified manner):

Thanks for the post Mandrake and more so for not taxing my already taxed brain.

QUOTE(Mandrake in a risk taking mood)
And now comes the most ordinary part (Bibhas you are going to kill me for this sad1.gif)
Any sound, if made continuously and held at a constant pitch (hopefully a low one), eventually sounds like a hum.
And doesn't 'hum' resonate with 'om'? wink2.gif

Something as mundane as a turbine, a generator motor or a vacuum cleaner, run for even 2 minutes will bear this out.

So also something more eclectic as a tanpura. Just keep listening to a tanpura for a few minutes and you'll catch the unmistakable sound of 'ommm' in it...

(Time to beat a hasty retreat before Bibhas smashes M to pulp....)

I do feel like smashing you to pulp but then who would I ask the rest of my questions ? wink2.gif
Anyways, Jokes apart, I think it is probably important to distinguish between the "hum" and "om" (your point is well taken though).
"Om" is supposed to be pronounced (what's the right word for "ucchAran" ?) in a certain way. Musically speaking, the underlying notes for pronouncing the right Om are the same as those that a perfectly tuned tanpura uses (I'm talking about the most common way of tuning it, not the variations), and so IMHO, the sound the tanpura produces is "OM", one need not listen to it for any length of time before one hears an Om in it (unlike the other sounds you mention).
An interesting point: the beauty of the harmonics of the notes played by the tanpura are such that you can hear virtually all the other notes in multiple octaves even though only two notes are actually being played ! Now, if you utter "Om" the right way, you hear the same (If you've ever been to the temple in Tirupati, and have heard the "Om" that is continually played there, you know what I mean). Hence IMHO, "Om" is the most complete sound there is and is probably the reason why it was chosen as a symbol for the "sound of the cosmos" (Nada Brahma) !
Critique and Comments, as always, are welcome.
Bibhas

A science that does not deliver us to the portals of metaphysics is a failed science and a religion that does not embrace physics is not grounded in reality.
+Quote Post
shivani
post Sep 14 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #25

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2848

"(If you've ever been to the temple in Tirupati, and have heard the "Om" that is continually played there, you know what I mean)."
Really.. I did not notice!!.
This time I was just immersed in those big drums/ nagadas they were playign in the morning : ).. and that was some voice!!!
+Quote Post
bibhas
post Sep 14 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #26

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(shivani @ Sep 14 2005, 01:06 PM)
"(If you've ever been to the temple in Tirupati, and have heard the "Om" that is continually played there, you know what I mean)."
Really.. I did not notice!!.
This time I was just immersed in those big drums/ nagadas they were playign  in the morning : ).. and that was some voice!!!

Shivani, if you get a chance to go there again, pay attention to it. The "Om" is heard at all times as you enter the inner sanctum sanctorum.

A science that does not deliver us to the portals of metaphysics is a failed science and a religion that does not embrace physics is not grounded in reality.
+Quote Post
kallubhai4u
post Sep 16 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

hi everybody...this is what i got 4 y people.

bye.gif
+Quote Post
bibhas
post Sep 16 2005, 08:48 PM
Post #28

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(kallubhai4u @ Sep 16 2005, 02:39 AM)
hi everybody...this is what i got 4 y people.

bye.gif

File attach karna bhool gaye Kalyan bhai ?

+Quote Post
kallubhai4u
post Sep 22 2005, 03:38 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

sorry bibhas bhai, maine to attach kiya tha...par shayad kuch gadbad ho gaye hai..par mai dhundke doobara post karunga.
+Quote Post
bibhas
post Sep 23 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #30

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(visuja @ Sep 4 2005, 06:53 AM) *

QUOTE(bibhas)
I hope I am reading your question right. Pick up any classical flute recital by Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia and listen to it carefully. He uses soft notes in the higher octaves and loud notes in the lower octave to create quite an effect ! I'll try to find a specific example meanwhile for you to listen.
Spot on, bibhas ! smile1.gif Its so much easier for me to visualise (literally) the same funda in relation to colors ... a dull red vs a bright violet color ... mathematically it makes sense in y = Asin(w*t) and graphically also it makes sense... just unable to relate it to reality headbang.gif cry.gif

I wish I could listen and discern what u r trying to say bibhas, but frankly I just 'know' that there are generally 3 octaves used while singing .. dont ask me to recognise the Sa from all the 3 octaves... I wont be able to... itni bhi musical 'sense' nahin hai mujhmein sad1.gif Pls pls pls find me an example if possible bow.gif

Vivek,
Sorry it took this long. Hariji's pieces were too complex to post to illustrate my point without getting into technicalities of music. So I have a short clip from one of my music classes where my guruji is playing a short piece in Raag Kirwani. I'll specify the timings so that you can follow the pattern of the notes.

08-10 secs: Loud notes in higher octave

19-21 and then again 36-40 : Loud notes in lower octave

25-31: soft notes in higher octave. Specifically compare these to the other two sets listed above.

Bibhas

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:39 PM