Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Did you become a Rafisaab fan before

, or after the legend passed away?

Forum Rules Please read and thoroughly understand the forum rules and regulations:
8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did you become a Rafisaab fan before, or after the legend passed away?
When the legend was amongst us [ 56 ] ** [37.84%]
After the legend passed away :( [ 92 ] ** [62.16%]
Total Votes: 148
Guests cannot vote 
Harold
post Dec 13 2005, 04:36 AM
Post #91

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 137

Hi Tanvir,

Thanks for your kind words, but don't under-estimate your love for Rafi-saab in comparison with mine. I see a lot of love and Rafi-mania among Rafians here at HF.

Its true that I love him very much. And this love keeps growing every day. I couldn't keep my eyes dry while talking to his daughter and son in law. Rafi-saab is part of me, part of my life. No day goes past without thinking of him.

Wow, how great would it be, if he were alive now. We would have the chance to call him, visit him and meet him. And yes he owuld get all the love and credit from the world that he deserves.

I don't think Rafi-saab died a sad man. God gave him so much, and from that he gave all to us, his fans. Even today 25 years after his demise, we become happy and forget our problems when we listen to his magic. How can a man like him ever be unhappy? People around the world loved him, where ever he went. And they still love him.

A lot of fans are dead now. But they are succeeded by many other great fans of a new generation. This topic and forum is the prove for it.

Harold

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ManishDeewana
post Jan 5 2006, 02:07 AM
Post #92

Group Icon

Member No.: 3184

I was just 9 years old when Rafi saab passed away but I still remember the day when the news of his death broke out in my home town Jaipur.My sister was a great fan of him and she had cried that day.Rafi's death was the main topic everywhere I went for the days followed.

It was that day and toady's date,Rafi has been integral part of my daily life..my day doesnot end unless I don't take his name or discuss or sing his songs..he is next to God for me.His voice was too fantastic.No adjective is enough to define his genius.He was just too good.

The best thing about rafi was his Voice.There could be many singers who have got the range and classical knowledge but Rafi had an edge over them because of his superior and a perfect voice particularly for Playbacksinging.

I am at loss of words to write about my passion for Rafi.I try to collect his songs as much I can and from wherever I can but I think I still have a ling way to go..

Will be a Rafian till I die..

Manish
+Quote Post
TAZ
post Jun 30 2006, 04:50 AM
Post #93

Group Icon

Member No.: 6586

[size=7]

I was 11yrs old when Rafi saab passed away. I still remember when my dad was listening to the Radio(which was at that time UK's only Asian weekly Radio program) that saturday evening on the 2nd of August 1980 when the sad news was announced. It was then I got to know who Rafi saab was.

Even til now I still feel that sadness why was he taken from us at the age he was, 55yrs. I would have loved to have met him.
+Quote Post
mnazamoudine
post Dec 27 2006, 07:47 PM
Post #94

Group Icon

Member No.: 8432

listen and you will become a fan
+Quote Post
simplefable
post Aug 7 2007, 07:10 PM
Post #95

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 20340

QUOTE(iqbal @ Aug 16 2004, 08:13 PM) *

All Rafians, please vote - this should be interesting!

I literally grew up listening to Rafi songs...i was fourteen when the legend passed away. So..may be i should have made a trip to Mumbai to see him..my regret for a life time. But those moments, when i used to keep a note book to note down the lyrics of his songs..the frenzy to jot them down while he sang...so that i can decipher his songs later...as i am not from north...are the best of my life..that passion still burns bright...Glad that the Maestro was born among us...May his Soul rest in peace...

After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
Aldous Huxley

"Waqt ne kiya...Kya haseen sitm...Tum rahe na tum..Hum rahe na hum.."

geetadutt

noorjehan

shamshadbegum

Anmol Fankaar
+Quote Post
simplefable
post Aug 7 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #96

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 20340

i was fourteen when the Maestro passed away. May be i should have made a trip to Mumbai, my regret for life..and i literally grew up listening to His songs...the moments i cherish are when i used to keep a note book to jot down the song lyrics..as the Maestro sang them...and then to decipher them later..as i am not from north. Incidentally i am a leo too...:-)
May His soul rest in peace..

After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
Aldous Huxley

"Waqt ne kiya...Kya haseen sitm...Tum rahe na tum..Hum rahe na hum.."

geetadutt

noorjehan

shamshadbegum

Anmol Fankaar
+Quote Post
Unregistered_050208
post Aug 11 2007, 01:31 AM
Post #97

Unregistered

I will add one more note to the post below that I had shared in my own thread: Now I know why I didn't pick up the taan / harkatein at the time. This was a romantic song and I was 14 - of course a 14 year old clown doesn't have the maturity or age in life to totally experience or appreciate romance - not till you're in your 20s. I just realized it now while listening to the song again - genius rolleyes.gif

I was born in Philadelphia, USA in 1985. Mohammed Rafi had regained his numero uno position in 1980 and sang some memorable hits for the superstar of that time – Amitabh Bachchan, who remained the most popular star till at least 1993. Lots of VHS cassettes of Amitabh movies – including the ones with Rafi songs, were laying around in my house in 1990s.

As a child, I immediately became obsessed with Salamat Rahe Dostana Hamara, John Johnny Janardhan, and Chal Mere Bhai. Instantly. At the time, I did not know that it was sung by a legend or who Mohammed Rafi was, and I certainly did not recognize any of the “random” people in the picturisation of John Johnny Janardhan. It was just the VOICE alone that a blank kid could naturally love. I’d repeatedly watch Dostana so I could listen to the opening song. The singer who started the song particularly stood out for me. The deep, intrinsic emotions in Mohd Rafi’s voice and melody were so clearly present that even a 7 or 8 year old child could appreciate. Isn’t that amazing!

I never investigated the singer or kept up with the movies as I got into my teens. Now I’m 13. My dad had lots of Lata and Kishore tapes (I enjoyed them) and lots of CDs of boring bhajans. There was one and only one CD titled “Golden Collection Rafi – Lata”. By now, I was aware that this Mohammed Rafi was very respected and considered a GREAT, legendary singer. I still did not know that this was the same singer whose voice I so loved as a child and the same one who sang those songs I mentioned! I listen to the CD with impartial expectations. The first song was “Tumhari Nazar Kiu Kafa” from Do Kaliyan.

The opening tune sounded nostalgic but catchy (today my favorite MDs are SJ). The opening singer appeared technically very sound. Yes, I deduced this as a child – even a half brain idiot can realize that Mohammed Rafi’s voice is clear, has superior tonal quality, is melodious and great! However, I felt he was singing the OPENING lines kind of flat. He didn’t seem to have the taan and harkatein of say, the singer that sang John Johnny Janardhan. Obviously I was too green at the time to deduce the subtleties otherwise I wouldn’t make such a terrible error in judgment.

Still, just by the first observation, I agreed that yes this singer deserved his respect, yes he sounded like a “great singer”. Having heard of of Mohd Rafi’s legend, I was so EXCITED to "finally for the first time" hear him myself and find out if he lived up to it. As a result, I remembered it only as a Rafi CD and forgot that my beloved Lata was the other singer. Even back then, I was very familiar with Lata Mangeshkar (as she was still alive so recency affect) and had loved her songs in the late 1980s. I actually was not familiar with her prime years or her work before 1980s – and so despite being aware of only her “twilight years” - I still loved and respected her. Isn't that amazing - it shows how great Lata was!

Now again, I was very green so I failed to realize that Lata was the female voice in this CD as she sounded different. I was unimpressed with that voice – felt it sounded too toned down. I kick myself in the head to this day for such a foolish judgment. Apparently, that first impression in the opening lines must have biased me because the greatness of the song becomes less and less subtle as it plays. Lata’s supreme voice and the taan / harkatein of both singers becomes crystal clear towards the middle and end (it was always there but less subtle). Today, I can detect her voice like a shark detects blood. When I was 12 or 13 I would not feel like doing my school work but my dad made me sit on the desk anyway. I would listen to music chup chaap. I couldn't use the tape deck in the wide open living room so I had to listen to CDs on the computer and this was the only CD besides those bhajans. So I “forcefully” listened to it for a few more times and began to “like it”. Foolish boy! Ironically, if today you were to throw me in the desert and offer only 1 CD to listen to endlessly - I’d ask for Rafi-Lata duets.

For another 7 years, I don't pick up. I watch the movie Naseeb once again and get reacquainted with my favorite childhood song. Realize the singer is Mohd Rafi. Realize that this was the same singer who sang Tumhari Nazar (how great Rafi is – he can adapt to the different times and the different values of music to still remain #1 – he sounded different in 1980 than 1969 – wah Rafi Sahab!). It is the taan and harkatein, among many others like his PERFECT, MELODIOUS VOICE, that immortalizes his songs. You can sense that even in a fun song like John Johnny Janardhan which is so full of emotions despite not being a romantic or a sad song etc.

Again, I don’t pick up with this until I’m 20 years old. I was watching an OK movie called Dil Maange More just because I was bored and it was laying around in my house. There is a Rafi song in that one from Mughal E Azam. Loved the voice once again. Now my interest has been sparked for the third time. This time I DON'T fail to pick up. Now I come back to college and youtube craze. People upload many Rafi songs so they become easily accessible. Since the past two years, I have been listening to Mohammed Rafi like crazy, have collected 600 of his songs (when I grow up I’ll collect ALL of them and buy an EXCELLENT stereo that does his voice justice). I cannot begin to tell you how much I love Rafi in this already long post. Now, I am OBSESSED.

Every time I watch an old movie, I look in the beginning for playback singer credits. When Rafi’s name is not listed – I get really sad and my prospects for the movie lower tremendously. My favorite actor is Dharmendra and his voice was Rafi so I really love that combination. My favorite director is Hrishikesh Mukherjee and unfortunately he had RD Burman give music for many of his movies and so I get sad knowing that my favorite director and singer will not come together often. The only reason that I like Chupke Chupke better than Sholay is because Sholay has one big flaw – no Rafi songs (yet he fitted Dharmendra so much better than the great Kishore Kumar who fitted Amitabh Bachchan better!).

I have to give YOUTUBE credit for getting me into Mohd Rafi and making his songs so much more accessible. Mohd Rafi just does not disappoint – his career is like a universe where there are more and more songs that listeners discover each day. I have probably heard only 1000 of his different songs if that – I still have another ~5000 to go. His versatility and ability are unmatched IMO. His voice is just right, very melodious, so full of emotions. His magic is enchanting. Only someone of his greatness could have remained on top for 4 different decades. He may have had lean years from 1970-1976 but he returned to #1 and only he could have pulled it off against the Kishore wave. Surprisingly, some of my favorite Rafi songs are from the year that was supposedly his leanest – 1973. Aaj Mausam Bada Bhaiman Hai, Teri Bindiya Re, Chura Liye, Yaadon Ki Bharat, Deewano Hai Deewano are my favorites! If that was his “lean” year – then how do you measure his best? This man just never disappointed – he was even a great human being whom everyone loved!

Even today, sometimes I’ll have to listen to a song 7 or 8 times (and sometimes instantly) before I love it. The reason for it is this: even though classic songs are immortal, they are a little different. Surely you can’t ignore 40 years just like that. So the listener may need a little bit of time to adjust to it.” I also think it takes time to fully realize just how great Mohammed Rafi was. The chaps from older generations have an advantage over me in that they did not have to deal with the "noise" and "distractions" of inferior music standards today and the garbage like rap music and such in the USA. Doesn't matter - even a child can see the sun through all that.
+Quote Post
Harold
post Aug 13 2007, 10:39 PM
Post #98

Group Icon

Member No.: 137

nice work man!
+Quote Post
Reeth
post Sep 25 2007, 03:52 PM
Post #99

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6151

Definitely after he passed away as i was born a year later......
I have been listening to his songs ever since i remember, on the radio and listening to tapes and cds at home.....

The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives
by altering their attitudes of mind

-William James
+Quote Post
kulwant
post Sep 26 2007, 12:58 AM
Post #100

Group Icon

Member No.: 25118

+Quote Post
venkat
post Sep 26 2007, 04:06 PM
Post #101

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6841

Friends,

The poll results so far, wherein 65% of the respondents here have got to know Rafi Saab after he passed away (ie. after 1980), clearly give great hope for the unending future of Rafiism!

This in a world, where no one remembers a singer or his songs after even 5 years!

Long Live Rafi Saab and His Songs!

Venkat

I have changed many views in life since my childhood, but not my view of Rafi Saab as the God-sent Gandharva who visited this Earth briefly to spread ultimate ecstasy among genuine music-lovers!

Mohammed Rafi: Highest Quantity Of Greatest Quality In Mind-boggling Variety!!!
+Quote Post
myawan
post Sep 26 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #102

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 57

This in a world, where no one remembers a singer or his songs after even 5 years!

Rafi's impact was HUGE!

==============================

For me, listening to Mohammad Rafi is an addiction!
+Quote Post
kistin
post Sep 28 2007, 11:35 PM
Post #103

Group Icon

Member No.: 2354

After he passed away. (I feel that I have become a Rafi fan.)

Although I could be one his fans before when I was young, but had not been aware of his existence. sad.gif

May Allah rest his soul in peace in Jannat-ul Firdevs and in Jannat-ul Adn. Amen...
+Quote Post
minx786
post Oct 8 2007, 02:58 AM
Post #104

Group Icon

Member No.: 14951

QUOTE(iqbal @ Aug 16 2004, 03:43 PM) *

First time using this forum so hope will get to meet many like minded Rafi fans!!
Answer to the vote is I was a fan before. I was only 7 when Rafi Saab passed away, but the one thing I have always remembered about my childhood is the songs. I think that was the basis for me actually becoming a fan. And now, I think I drive evryone mad talking about his songs and playing them all the time.
I do have a very large collection, but I am still missing some great songs.

Hopefully someone somewhere in the world will have them. smile.gif

***The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything***
+Quote Post
MusicLover
post Nov 6 2007, 03:22 AM
Post #105

Group Icon

Member No.: 15509

Unfortunately I got to listening to Rafi songs in late 80s itself...when I became an avid participant of school level antakshari..by then the legend had already paased away.. sad.gif

However, I feel he still lvies in everyone's hearts... smile.gif

I however, always wondered with this questions, if Rafi saahbe had died in 1980, how come there are songs sung by him in 81 and 82 as well? Had he sung them before his death and later the directors used them in those films?? huh.gif blink.gif wacko.gif confused.gif

If some one can calrify that part...i would be great. smile3.gif

Enjoy!!!
Music Lover

Enjoy!!!
Music Lover

Smile is Contagious, Be a Carrier!!!
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:55 PM