Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Geeta Dutt.

, Discuss something about Geeta Dutt.

22 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Geeta Dutt., Discuss something about Geeta Dutt.
Ashraf
post Feb 8 2004, 01:50 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

Hello all

I am new member in this forum..I want to get some information about Geeta Dutt whom I like most after Lataji among female singers..I think her voice is very melodious..though I heared only very few songs of her.Let me know more about this queen of magic voice.

dil doondtha hain phir vohi fursat ke raat din
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
usha
post Feb 17 2004, 08:44 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
Member No.: 176

Hello Ashraf,
Welcome,as u say Geetha is indeed a great singer and she had an unusual husky voice,and it suited Meena kumari and especially Geetha bali.
There are so many songs of hers that are very very good,either solo or in duet with all the singers of her day.
some of my own favourite geeta dutt songs;
1,Mera sundar sapna beeth gaya-do bhai i think
2,hoon abhi mein jawaan ai dil-aar paar
3,do chamakthi aanko mein kal kwaab sunehra tha itna-detective
4,Mujhko tum jab mile-with hemant-detective
5,rim jhim ke tarane leke aaye barsaath-with rafi-kala bazaar
6,tune mera dil liya-with kishre-sharaarat
7,dharti se dhoor jaake baadloke paar jaake-with asha-sangdil
8,phulvaa bano mehke dekho lehke daali daali-with suman
9,bach pan ke din bhi kya din the-with asha-sujatha
10,juki juki pyaar ki nazar-with asha- johnywalker
11,jaane kahan mera jigar gaya re-with rafi-mr and mrs 55
12,aaje zara mere dil ke sahare-with hemant-
13,chale hum kahan kaho chale hum kaha-with hemant-police

u know i can go on on and on..........geeta is very special
+Quote Post
Ashraf
post Feb 27 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Ushaji

Thanks a lot for the information....I think Geeta Dutt is very under rated singer..because I never heared abt her in media...I came to knew abt when i heared a song and wondered who this beautifull singer is..and got he information searching in net...But no body seems to be interested abt her...I heared only few songs in ur list and 'hum abhi mein jawan a dil' is my fav among them...hope other members wll respond to this topic.

+Quote Post
Pradeep
post Feb 28 2004, 07:40 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Amongst all female vocalist, my favourite is Geeta Dutt. I rank her before Asha Bhonsle, who follows her. My personal favourites are her duets with Mohd Rafi. And deep down I feel, its only Geeta that can keep up with Rafi in all the songs that they have sung together.

smile.gif

kuch bhi nahin hai tera mol, boli na badi bol, khilona tu maati ka...
+Quote Post
usha
post Mar 3 2004, 04:53 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Geetha dutt was Guru dutt's wife and sang in all his movies,under the direction of S.D.Burman and O.P nayyar.She was one of the top singers of her days.Those days all the singers had their own distinctive voices,Latha,Asha, and Geetha were the 3 great female singers of the 50's and 60's and even 70's i feel.I think Geeth paased away in the mid-70's.She was an alchoholic,but that never came in the way of her singing,She has sung some lovely songs for the film Anubhav,probably some of her last songs,and she sounds so gooooood.
some more of her numbers;
tere kasam tujpe sanam pyar to aaya-film??
nanhi kali sone chali hawa dheere aana-sujatha
tum jiyo hazaro saal saal ke din ho-sujatha-with asha
de bhi chke hum dil nazraana dil ka-jaal-with kishore
aaj ki raath piya dil na thodo-baazi
armaan bare dil ki lagan tere liye hai-with talath-film??
aankhonhi aanko mein ishara ho gaya-with rafi-CID

the list is endless
+Quote Post
usha
post Mar 15 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Hi Friends,
Is Geetha so boring that no one seems to be interested in her discussion???????
+Quote Post
Pradeep
post Mar 16 2004, 09:20 AM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

sad.gif

+Quote Post
vivekpm
post Mar 16 2004, 10:35 AM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 120

QUOTE (usha @ Mar 15 2004, 11:31 PM)
Hi Friends,
Is Geetha so boring that no one seems to be interested in her discussion???????

Geeta Dutt's voice was a beautiful voice. The voice really does have some masti in it which always puts me in cheerful mood.

Plus, perhaps she was the most beautiful female playback singer.

Some of her songs I love:

Babuji Dheere Chalna...
Aankhon Hi Aankhon Main...
Hum Aapkii Aankhon Main... (Beautiful duet with Rafi... I simply cannot imagine any other singer in place of Geeta Dutt singing this one)

Khayalon Main Kisike Aaya Nahin Karte (with Mukesh)

and the evergreen number...
Na Jao Saiyan Chudda Ke Baiyan...

and many more...

It is indeed sad that most of the time the female singers talk is centered around Lata and Asha only and people quite don't remember songs by singers like Geeta Dutt, Suraiya, Suman Kalyanpur and others

V i V e K ...

--------------------------------------------

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
-- Will Durant

+Quote Post
Pradeep
post Mar 16 2004, 11:17 AM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Mujeh Jaa Na Kaho Meri Jaan... Meri Jaan... Meri Jaan.

+Quote Post
vivekpm
post Mar 16 2004, 11:27 AM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

How about "Yeh Lo Main Haari Piya..."

Cheers,

V i V e K ...

-- Will Durant

+Quote Post
Pradeep
post Mar 16 2004, 11:46 AM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Geeta Dutt has wonderful numbers in Mr. Sampat. And I love all of them.

+Quote Post
vivekpm
post Mar 16 2004, 11:51 AM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Source: Article on Geeta Dutt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first thing that strikes one when you hear Geeta Dutt sing was that she never sang. She just glided through a tune. Of all her contemporaries her musical training was perhaps the sketchiest but what she lacked in training and technique, she more than made up with her ability to breathe life and emotion into any song she was singing. To quote Raju Bharathan, Music Critic...

" Geeta Dutt was thandi hawa and kaali ghata rolled into one. The moment she came, you got the refreshing feeling of aa hi gayi jhoom ke. There was a rare swing in her voice. She hit you like a thunderclap..........This made Geeta Dutt the one singer that Lata Mangeshkar really feared. In training and technique Lata was way ahead but neither training nor technique was of much use when pitted against Geeta in the recording room........This put Lata on the defensive and I think she avoided singing with Geeta as far as possible. I vaguely remember Lata acknowledging this fact when Geeta died on July 20, 1972."

Geeta Roy was born in Faridpur District in East Bengal in 1930. In 1942 when she was just twelve her parents shifted to Mumbai. Over there in their modest flat at Dadar music director Hanuman Prasad heard her singing casually. He gave her two lines to sing in the film Bhakt Prahlad (1946). But her rendering of those two lines stood out and astonished everybody in the recording studio. A minor incident became the genesis of a great musical career.

Her major assignment came the following year, 1947, with Do Bhai. The music of that film clicked in a big way particularly Mera Sundar Sapna Beet Gaya and Geeta became a top playback singer. 1947-1949 saw Geeta Roy rule as the number one playback singer in the Mumbai film industry as she moved from strength to strength.

However three films released in 1949. Barsaat, Andaaz and Mahal. All three smashing hits. The music of each film better than the other. In all three films the heroine's songs were sung by a young lady who had also made her debut in playback singing in 1946 but till then had not made any significant headway in her career. The success of these films changed all that. The song 'Aayega aanewala' from Mahal soared to heights of till then unseen popularity. ( It remains an all time favourite even today ) The singer was ... Lata Mangeshkar. Lata went on to become the greatest playback singer the Indian screen has ever seen. Only two singers managed to survive the Lata onslaught in the 1950s. Shamshad Begam and Geeta Roy. Though relegated to the second spot, Geeta managed to hold her own against Lata for more than a decade and she and Lata were the premier two female playback singers of the 1950s.

Initially Geeta was a singer well known for bhajans and weepy, weepy sad songs. But 1951 saw the release of a film, Baazi. The jazzy musical score of the film by S.D. Burman revealed a new facet to Geeta's singing. The sex appeal in her voice and the ease with which she went western was marvelous to behold. While every song in the film was a raging hit, one stood out for special appeal - Tadbir se Bigdi hui Taqdeer. From then on in the 1950s for a club dance or a seductive song, the first choice was Geeta.

During the recording of the song she met the young and upcoming director of the film, Guru Dutt. Thus blossomed a romance, which culminated in marriage on 26 May, 1953. Geeta went on to sing some of her best songs in his films while continuing singing in various outside assignments as well.

S.D. Burman was among the earliest to discover the magic in her voice with Do Bhai. He effectively used the Bengali lilt in her voice memorably in films like Devdas (1955) and Pyaasa (1957). The song Aaj sajan mohe ang lagalo from the latter is one of the finest examples of the Bengali kirtan put over on the Hindi screen. In fact, no female singer has better articulated the spirit of Burmanda's music in its early years.

O.P. Nayyar developed the side of Geeta which had emerged with Baazi. Under his freewheeling baton Geeta developed into a really hep singer who could belt out any number - soft, sultry, happy, snappy, romantic, teasing or tragic. It was Geeta Dutt's rare gift that she could effervescently sing for both the doll and the moll. And it was O.P. who got Geeta to stop being overtly emotional in sad songs. O.P.'s comments on Geeta :

" ..........Who will deny there is a unique quality to her singing. Give her a blatantly westernized tune this momentand a complex classical composition the next, and she will do equal justice to both with an ease of expression which a singer can only be born with. She is particularly good for songs accompanying boisterous jamborees. With that tantalizing lilt and fascinating curves she puts into her singing,she is the ideal choice if it is seductive allure you want in a song........Geeta Dutt is an asset to any music director."

However by 1957 her marriage had run into rough weather and was on the rocks. Guru Dutt had got romantically involved with his new leading lady Waheeda Rehman. The breaking up of her marriage also began having repercussions on her career. To quieten things down Guru Dutt launched a film Gauri (1957) with her in the lead. She was to be launched as a singing star and it was to be India's first film in cinemascope but the film was shelved after just a few days shooting. This was the time when one heard complaints from music directors about her not being easily available for either rehearsals or recordings.

In fact in 1957, when he fell out with Lata Mangeshkar, Burmanda was looking to make Geeta his main singer rather than the upcoming Asha Bhosle. After all by then Geeta was a mature singer while Asha was still raw. But due to her troubled marriage Geeta was not free to practice in the style required by S.D. Burman who was a hard taskmaster regarding rehearsals. He joined O.P. Nayyar in shaping Asha rather than wait for Geeta. Consequently Asha not only took her place but also went beyond her. And to make things worse, Geeta began finding solace in drinks.

On October 10, 1964 Guru Dutt passed away. Geeta was a broken woman, shattered by his death. She suffered a nervous breakdown. When she recovered she found herself in a financial mess. She did try to resume singing again, cutting discs at Durga Puja and giving stage shows and even doing a Bengali film, Badhu Bharan (1967) as heroine! But her health kept failing as she drank herself to a point of no return. She died of cirrhosis of the liver in 1972. But not before she showed she still had it in her were she given a mike to sing. The songs of Basu Bhattacharya's Anubhav (1971), Meri Jaan Mujhe Jaan na Kaho Meri Jaan, Koi Chupke se Aake and Mera Dil Jo Mera Hota represent some of the finest work that Geeta Dutt ever did.

V i V e K ...

-- Will Durant

+Quote Post
vivekpm
post Mar 16 2004, 11:53 AM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Indeed sad that she almost killed herself by over drinking. She was only 42!!!!!!

V i V e K ...

-- Will Durant

+Quote Post
usha
post Mar 16 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Hi Vivek,
The information on Geetha was complete and made wonderful reading.
Sad that she had such a tragic life..............
u know one finds that most of these very talented artiste's have very stressful lives and they breakdown very easily as is the case with guru dutt ,meena kumari etc;
+Quote Post
Ashraf
post Mar 17 2004, 05:25 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Thanks Vivek...It is very sad to hear about the tragic life of Geeta Dutt....I wana collect some of her great songs....Can any one help?......Thanks.

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:23 PM