Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

A Master Composer

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Master Composer
archimoz
post Mar 16 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 88

A beautiful song by Sabita Chowdhury (Salil-da's wife) from Sapne Suhane.

In my opinion, no other music director (before & since) has been able to amalgamate western classical music so effortlessly into our film songs. A true genius whose songs will stand the test of time for ever.

(Can't help but wistfully think how beautiful this song would have sounded in Lata or Asha's voice.)

Another rollicking number by Manna Dey from the same movie. What wonderful orchestration!

Regards-Archie.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
archimoz
post Mar 16 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

A radio programme on the great composer. (Vividh Bharti - Ek Fankaar). Painstakingly recorded by Mr. Pavan Jha.

Regards-Archie.
+Quote Post
archimoz
post Mar 16 2005, 01:00 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

The Filmfare award for the genius for Madhumati. (One can catch a fleeting glimpse of Bimal Roy & Vyjainthimala as well)

Regards-Archie.
+Quote Post
archimoz
post Mar 16 2005, 01:01 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

QUOTE(archimoz @ Mar 16 2005, 01:00 PM)
The Filmfare award for the genius for Madhumati. (One can catch a fleeting glimpse of Bimal Roy & Vyjainthimala as well)

Regards-Archie.

Forgot to mention-this clip is courtesy Mr. Kaustubh C Pingle.
+Quote Post
archimoz
post Mar 16 2005, 03:34 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

A stunning song by K J Yesudas. Movie - Dil Ka Saathi Dil (1982). When one thinks about the general standard of music in the early '80-s and realises in this context that Salil-babu was virtually having no assignments in Bollywood, the heart weeps!

Regards-Archie.

P.S. Unni-saab, you may be able to help me! The Malayalam version of this song 'neemayum nilavinde' (hope I've spelt correctly!) from the movie 'Madalolsavam' (1977) with lyrics by ONV Kurup sounds even better than the hindi version (or Lata-bai's bengali version in 1988 - 'e jibono...'). Would you be having it by any chance?
+Quote Post
unni
post Mar 16 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
From: Vaanar Nivas, Tribandar Marg, Bandarabad, MONKEYSTAN.
Member No.: 356

QUOTE(archimoz @ Mar 16 2005, 05:04 AM)
P.S. Unni-saab, you may be able to help me! The Malayalam version of this song 'neemayum nilavinde' (hope I've spelt correctly!) from the movie 'Madalolsavam' (1977) with lyrics by ONV Kurup sounds even better than the hindi version (or Lata-bai's bengali version in 1988 - 'e jibono...'). Would you be having it by any chance?

Archie:

Here it is:

If you stop trying to make sense of it all, you'll be less confused. Reality is an illusion.
+Quote Post
archimoz
post Mar 17 2005, 10:18 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Dear Unni-saab,

Grateful thanks! What a lovely number!

Regards-Archie.
+Quote Post
archimoz
post Mar 18 2005, 12:55 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

An astonishingly beautiful duet of Manna & Lata from the unreleased movie 'Sangat' (1975). Lyrics by Jan Nisar Akhtar.

I'm yet to hear a better non-conventional bhajan (or should one call it 'an ode to the Almighty'?) than this, both in tune & wordings.

Though the basic fabric of the song is in raag bhairavi, Salil-babu, the genius that he is, has woven in beautiful harmonisation of chords, both in the interlude pieces as well as during the two singers' humming pieces.

The unconventional lyrics by Jan Nisar Akhtar throws light on how Javed Akhtar can also pen great lyrics like 'o palan-haare' (in Lagaan).

And as for Lata & Manna, they are gifts of the Almighty to us, hindi film song lovers.

Request you to share this song with your friends and propagate the super-talents of a composer, who perhaps did not get his due in Bollywood. Surely ahead of his times. Even now, his orchestration & composition seem ahead of today's successful composers.

No wonder, composers like Illayaraja, Hridaynath Mangeshkar, A R Rehman never fail to mention Salil-babu's name when talking about their inspirations.

Regards-Archie.
+Quote Post
unni
post Mar 18 2005, 01:17 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

"Astonishingly beautiful" is the perfect description for this duet of Manna & Lata. clap1.gif

I was familiar with the melody, since Salil-da has used it for a tandem tune in Malayalam, sung by Yesudas and S. Janaki.

What a great pity that fans of HFM did not get to hear this gorgeous song since the film was not released. We at HF are indeed privileged to have access to it.

Thanks Archie, for this superb number. bow.gif

NOTE TO MEMBERS:

Don't miss out on downloading and listening to this absolute gem!

If you stop trying to make sense of it all, you'll be less confused. Reality is an illusion.
+Quote Post
Abbasi
post Mar 18 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 387

I wonder if anyone having a hindi song by yesudas in a shelved bangla film ASHWMEDHER GHORA composed by Salilda?

Zindagi Hai Ke Badalta Mausam, Har Nai Rut Mein Naye Phool Khile
Bewafai Naheen Aadat Apni, Jab Talak Jis Se Mile Dil Se Mile.........
+Quote Post
sangeetbhakt
post Mar 18 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1288

QUOTE(archimoz @ Mar 18 2005, 12:25 AM)
An astonishingly beautiful duet of Manna & Lata from the unreleased movie 'Sangat' (1975). Lyrics by Jan Nisar Akhtar.

I'm yet to hear a better non-conventional bhajan (or should one call it 'an ode to the Almighty'?) than this, both in tune & wordings.

Though the basic fabric of the song is in raag bhairavi, Salil-babu, the genius that he is, has woven in beautiful harmonisation of chords, both in the interlude pieces as well as during the two singers' humming pieces.

The unconventional lyrics by Jan Nisar Akhtar throws light on how Javed Akhtar can also pen great lyrics like 'o palan-haare' (in Lagaan).

And as for Lata & Manna, they are gifts of the Almighty to us, hindi film song lovers.

Request you to share this song with your friends and propagate the super-talents of a composer, who perhaps did not get his due in Bollywood. Surely ahead of his times. Even now, his orchestration & composition seem ahead of today's successful composers.

No wonder, composers like Illayaraja, Hridaynath Mangeshkar, A R Rehman never fail to mention Salil-babu's name when talking about their inspirations.

Regards-Archie.

This song is among my favorites in Salil Chowdhury's songs from the late 70s.
Most of his other compositions in this time period were pretty pedestrian lacking
that charm and grace that his earlier music had. But this changes all that.
And both Lata and Manna Dey sound wonderful. Thanx for this upload.

Unni, if it is handy, could you upload or PM the Malayalam version by Yesudas
and Janaki? I would love to hear it.
+Quote Post
unni
post Mar 19 2005, 04:58 AM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(sangeetbhakt @ Mar 18 2005, 12:01 PM)
and  Janaki?  I would love to hear it.

sangeebhakt:

Here you go, with the tune used as a lullaby in the film "VISHUKKANI".

+Quote Post
sangeetbhakt
post Mar 19 2005, 06:14 AM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1288

QUOTE(unni @ Mar 18 2005, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE(sangeetbhakt @ Mar 18 2005, 12:01 PM)
and  Janaki?  I would love to hear it.

sangeebhakt:

Here you go, with the tune used as a lullaby in the film "VISHUKKANI".

Thank you for both songs. The songs sound better in Malayalam. It
just sounds better (maybe has to do with the flow of the language,
though I cannot understand it).
What year was this film?
+Quote Post
unni
post Mar 19 2005, 06:43 AM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(sangeetbhakt @ Mar 18 2005, 07:44 PM)
What year was this film?

"VISHUKKANI" was in 1977.

Salil Chowdhury' entry into Malayalam Films started with the film 'CHEMMEEN' directed by Ramu Kariat. Based on the touching novel of the same name by the renowned Malayalam writer Thakazhy Shivshankar Pillai, the film became a landmark in Malayalam Cinema. It received the Presidents Gold Medal in 1965. The widely popular songs of 'CHEMMEEN' launched Salil Chowdhury in the Malayalam film industry. Between 1965 and the mid-90's, he composed music for over 25 Malayalam films. Salil Chowdhury formed a formidable team with the lyricist Vayalar and the poet O.N.V Kurup. He also composed the background music for three Malayalam films.

+Quote Post
hits
post Mar 20 2005, 10:32 AM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 688

QUOTE(unni @ Mar 16 2005, 06:02 AM)
QUOTE(archimoz @ Mar 16 2005, 05:04 AM)

Archie:

Here it is:

Beautiful songs in this movie. The magic of Salilda in full bloom.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:49 AM