Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Queries On Universal Nature

, Or Nature of the Universe :smile:

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Queries On Universal Nature, Or Nature of the Universe :smile:
visuja
post Aug 31 2005, 08:37 AM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2745

This is in response to a post at the Shlokas thread -- Gayatri Mantra

Can sound (as we know it) be generated in space ?? Theres no (known) medium between the fast moving bodies for sound travel. Else we'd all have evolved as deaf creatures, or probably developed an alternate way to understand sound amidst all the terrible (and terrific) background noise.

Is energy created in the universe (apart from E=mc^2) ? The kinetic energy of galaxies is simply the energy they possess due to their motion. If they stopped moving, all the KE would be transformed into some form of potential energy, I believe. (Although that might lead the collpase of galaxies due to intense gravitational fields). And where is the sink (if any) where energy is consumed ?? unsure.gif

This post has been edited by visuja: Aug 31 2005, 08:42 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mandrake
post Aug 31 2005, 09:15 AM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2066

That the universe generates sound had been a known fact. This was corroborated when astronomer Mark Whittle (I find that a remarkable concidence for the similarity to 'Vitthal' wink2.gif), who prepared a sound clip way back in 2004 and called it the 'Primal Scream'.
He describes the sound as "...a growing hiss that resembles a roaring jet plane flying low overhead. "

For more details, refer to one of the articles here:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/06/02/primal.scream/

Self - belief is the most potent force.
+Quote Post
visuja
post Aug 31 2005, 09:52 AM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Thanks for the link Mandrake. Didnt quite realise that there would be sound in the more dense regions of the universe ! doh.gif Fascinating to learn of the black hole that emits a note thats 57 octaves lower than our standard 'middle' octave !! WOW !

The problem I have with sound is visualising the difference between the energy associated with its frequency and the energy associated with its amplitude. Could someone give me an example of a loud low pitch sound and a soft high pitch sound ? unsure.gif
+Quote Post
Mandrake
post Aug 31 2005, 10:10 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Vivek, this isn't an answer to your second post, but a continuation of my first post.

I am attaching here the soundfile of Mark Whittle's work.

You can listen to the sound from the first million years after the big bang here. The sound has been compressed to five seconds, with the volume held constant.

I have taken the original wav file and converted it to mp3.

+Quote Post
visuja
post Aug 31 2005, 10:29 AM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Thanks again, Mandrake. Any idea how the sound was captured ? Obviously, it couldnt have been 'heard'. Must be an interpretation of visual confirmation (by way of X-rays / something else and model simulation) of the 'ripples' that the sound would have caused in the gas clouds over millions of years.
By compressing into 5 seconds, u mean the frequency of the original sound was increased to bring it into human hearing range ?
+Quote Post
Mandrake
post Aug 31 2005, 10:51 AM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Vivek, by compression to 5 seconds means that the sound data over 1 million years has been compressed to 5 seconds. Obviously, the 'notes', as they are heard here were formed verrry slowly. When compressed, they give one continuous sound like the jet.

And yes, the sound is a conversion of the cosmic microwave background radiation.

Also brings another thing to mind: way back in 1979, I had read in the newspapers that sound waves don't die away totally. They go to a ultra-micro state and remain so. The hypothesis went so far as to ponder, whether we could eventually develop a technology to 'reconstruct' those sounds, and listen to all that happened in the past, "provided we also developed the technique to zero in on specific strands of conversation".

+Quote Post
bibhas
post Aug 31 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1314

QUOTE(visuja @ Aug 31 2005, 12:22 AM)
Could someone give me an example of a loud low pitch sound and a soft high pitch sound ? unsure.gif

Vivek,
I hope I am reading your question right. Pick up any classical flute recital by Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia and listen to it carefully. He uses soft notes in the higher octaves and loud notes in the lower octave to create quite an effect ! I'll try to find a specific example meanwhile for you to listen.
Bibhas

A science that does not deliver us to the portals of metaphysics is a failed science and a religion that does not embrace physics is not grounded in reality.
+Quote Post
hits
post Sep 1 2005, 12:47 AM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
Member No.: 688

QUOTE(visuja @ Aug 30 2005, 09:07 PM)

Can sound (as we know it) be generated in space ?? Theres no (known) medium between the fast moving bodies for sound travel.  Else we'd all have evolved as deaf creatures, or probably developed an alternate way to understand sound amidst all the terrible (and terrific) background noise.

Is energy created in the universe (apart from E=mc^2) ?  The kinetic energy of galaxies is simply the energy they possess due to their motion.  If they stopped moving, all the KE would be transformed into some form of potential energy, I believe. (Although that might lead the collpase of galaxies due to intense gravitational fields).  And where is the sink (if any) where energy is consumed ?? unsure.gif

In answer to the second part of your question (Mandrake has already addressed the first part, with characteristic panache, I must add), the short answer that physics provides is - No. That being said, the E= mc^2 equation is a very simplified form of a much more involved expression, which can be applied in a variety of circumstances (that will account for "creation" of energy).

Next, scientists like to talk of the existence of "energy sinks" within the universe. They have observed such areas within the universe, and Roger Penrose's theory accounts for it. Direct scientific observation has been few and far between.

Finally, on what would happen if everything stopped, you are largely correct in your assumption on energy conversion, but also remember that m = E/c^2. So, energy can also be converted into mass (not necessarily into other forms of energy). This representation of the equation was anathema for a lot of scientists for a long time. Not any more.
+Quote Post
visuja
post Sep 4 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Thanks Mandrake, bibhas and hits to grace the thread (exactly the people I was expecting who'll respond tongue.gif)
QUOTE(mandrake)
.... sound waves don't die away totally. They go to a ultra-micro state and remain so. The hypothesis went so far as to ponder, whether we could eventually develop a technology to 'reconstruct' those sounds, and listen to all that happened in the past, "provided we also developed the technique to zero in on specific strands of conversation".
Interesting theory Mandrake. I assume sound waves lose energy (that associated with their amplitude or 'loudness') to begin with in the process of overcoming the friction to cause particles to vibrate and thus propogate the sound wave. If Im not wrong, to remain in an ultra-micro state, the wave should basically possess some amplitude ('loudness'). which means the wave doesnt lose all its energy and has reached a kind of steady state. Didnt quite understand that. (or more likely theres something fundamentally incorrect in my understanding of sound propogation sad1.gif).
To clarify my confusion with wave energy, like electromagnetic waves, do sound waves also have an equivalent energy associated with their frequency (akin to E = h * frequency) ? If so, is there any loss of this energyduring propogation ? .. which would basically mean a change in frequency ! blab.gif ....

QUOTE(bibhas)
I hope I am reading your question right. Pick up any classical flute recital by Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia and listen to it carefully. He uses soft notes in the higher octaves and loud notes in the lower octave to create quite an effect ! I'll try to find a specific example meanwhile for you to listen.
Spot on, bibhas ! smile1.gif Its so much easier for me to visualise (literally) the same funda in relation to colors ... a dull red vs a bright violet color ... mathematically it makes sense in y = Asin(w*t) and graphically also it makes sense... just unable to relate it to reality headbang.gif cry.gif

I wish I could listen and discern what u r trying to say bibhas, but frankly I just 'know' that there are generally 3 octaves used while singing .. dont ask me to recognise the Sa from all the 3 octaves... I wont be able to... itni bhi musical 'sense' nahin hai mujhmein sad1.gif Pls pls pls find me an example if possible bow.gif
QUOTE(hits)
...which can be applied in a variety of circumstances (that will account for "creation" of energy).
So hits u mean the original equation does allow for energy 'creation', just that scientists havent got experimental / observational proof yet ? unsure.gif Yes, I understand that mass can be created from energy and I suppose it has been experimentally proven too. But has it been observed in the universe ? A physical body that gains mass at the cost of its energy ? (an 'anti-star', so to speak !!) Also, the 'energy-sinks' that you indicate are those where energy just 'disappears' rather than being transformed into mass ?? unsure.gif

A query on black holes : How is the presence of black holes verified ? Direct evidence would be impossible I guess because nothing escapes a black hole. So is it by inferential observations of the characteristics of the 'fuel' that plummets into the black hole ?
+Quote Post
kallubhai4u
post Sep 12 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 2330

QUOTE(visuja @ Aug 31 2005, 08:37 AM)

Can sound (as we know it) be generated in space ?? Theres no (known) medium between the fast moving bodies for sound travel.  Else we'd all have evolved as deaf creatures, or probably developed an alternate way to understand sound amidst all the terrible (and terrific) background noise.

Is energy created in the universe (apart from E=mc^2) ?  The kinetic energy of galaxies is simply the energy they possess due to their motion.  If they stopped moving, all the KE would be transformed into some form of potential energy, I believe. (Although that might lead the collpase of galaxies due to intense gravitational fields).  And where is the sink (if any) where energy is consumed ?? unsure.gif

thanks vivek, this question is a real good one. u have come to face a very sensuos problem of medern sciences & technology. every such effort of yours will lead to a better understanding of these myterious phenomenon.

well to say, sound being a wave( a matter wave) needs medium 4 its propagation & origin coz itz not a EM wave. let me tell u that sound waves r created by some pulsars & such dying stars. few days back while reading an article, i found that some other celestial bodies also produce sounds.

as far as energy is concerned, every universal body is atleast spinning on its axis and that puts up a lot of angular momentum, which is just proportional to the moment of inertia of that body. this moment of inertia is nothing but the "mass" that we speak in general terms. this spinning gives of quite a large amount of energy. thats how pulsars & quasars give off high energy radiations.

i hope that would satisfy ur hunger.
kalyan
+Quote Post
Mandrake
post Sep 12 2005, 11:25 AM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Good to revive this topic thumbs-up.gif

Here's some non-scientific stuff:

I forget off-hand which Puranas stated this, but Vishwamitra, in a trance, rose out of this planet and floated in the universe in 'sookshma-roop'.
There, he saw all the planets spinning, the galaxies spinning and everything else going around itself at an awesome pace. The entire thing gave off a sound that sounded like 'ommmm'.
When he descended back, he stated that 'Om' is the sound that the universe makes.

Maybe Hits can pin-point the location of this story.

As a footnote, it reminds me of the following two instances:
Spinning tops are available, which, spun with the help of a toothed plastic strip, rotate at high speeds.
There are some types, where the tops are hollow, and there are two holes opposite each other on the top's body.
When the top spins, it gives of a sound that sounds verrry close to the 'ommm' sound.

Those who stayed in Mumbai in the 70's will remember that a siren would go off everyday at 9 A.M.
I remember that after a certain point, that sound too would remind me of 'om'.

Scientific explanation of this of course, is very easy...

+Quote Post
kallubhai4u
post Sep 12 2005, 11:46 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 2330

thanks Mandrake,

this update regaarding 'ommmm' was really worth praise. some more light on this topic would oblige.
+Quote Post
bibhas
post Sep 12 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mandrake @ Sep 12 2005, 01:55 AM)

Mandrake,
please don't leave posts with teasing lines like that sad1.gif
I'm all ears for the easy explanation.
Bibhas

A science that does not deliver us to the portals of metaphysics is a failed science and a religion that does not embrace physics is not grounded in reality.
+Quote Post
Mandrake
post Sep 13 2005, 11:15 AM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(bibhas @ Sep 12 2005, 10:45 PM)

Mandrake,
Bibhas

Search within, Bibhas, search within...
How does your flute make a sound? (I speak of the Aada flute that Panditji uses, where you blow Over a hole...)

+Quote Post
bibhas
post Sep 14 2005, 01:32 AM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mandrake @ Sep 13 2005, 01:45 AM)
QUOTE(bibhas @ Sep 12 2005, 10:45 PM)

Mandrake,
Bibhas

Search within, Bibhas, search within...
How does your flute make a sound? (I speak of the Aada flute that Panditji uses, where you blow Over a hole...)

Not fair, not fair headbang.gif hairpull.gif. This was supposed to be an easy explanation, I am facing an acute shortage of neurons in my brain what with all of them being deputed to finding out if light is slowing down and such. study.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:58 PM