Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Before Sunrise(1995) / Before Sunset(2004)

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Before Sunrise(1995) / Before Sunset(2004)
Nidhi
post Feb 9 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6496

In the name of the Father (1993). I saw this old one on cable. It is a great movie based on a true story of how an irish family is wrongly implicated & imprisoned as irish terrorists. The biased, uncompromising and unrelenting approach of the British Police, shows them in poor light, as they were aware of the actual terrorists. The trials & tribulations that the innocents undergo in proving their innocence after 15 years is the story line. Great acting by Daniel Day Lewis.

Rumor of Angels(2000): A sentimental movie about the friendship between a boy & an old lady(Vanessa Redgrave) who helps him in getting over the tragedy of having lost his mother in an accident.

Just like Heaven(2005): A sweet romantic movie. The romance is between the ghost of a lady in coma & the new tenant in her apartment. It stars Reese Witherspoon.

We own the night(2007): Cops & Drug lords stuff starring Mark Wahlburg & Joaquim Phoenix. It is the routine hollywood stuff.

I am still to see the following 2007 movies: 'Eastern Promises', 'Gone Baby Gone', 'The Assassination of Jesse James', No Country for Old men', 'He was a Quiet Man', 'In the Valley of Elah', 'Into the Wild', 'Michael Clayton' & 'Atonement'. I have all these on divx format. The convenience of having a standalone dvd player that plays divx too is that one can record 6 english movies of good quality on a single dvd disc & watch them at leisure.

This post has been edited by Nidhi: Jun 30 2008, 08:14 AM

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.The voice of the majority is no proof of justice."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Feb 11 2008, 05:30 AM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 5

Eastern Promises & No Country for Old Men are 2 very good flims.

We Own the Night like Nidhi says is abt cops n The Russian mafia but Hollywood these days is "The JC" it doesnt care wot it sends out onto screens across the world such as this 1 scene where they show sum Russian guy wearing a religious pendant that has both a Christian cross & The Star of David on it!

If you dont know wot im on abt then just read Andrey Diky's book.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Nidhi
post Feb 15 2008, 11:56 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Into The Wild: Based on the true story of Christopher Johnson Mcandless, this is serious stuff, directed by actor & social activist Sean Penn. The movie is more of a documentary type giving an insight into the troubled mind of a youngster who is disillusioned with a materialistic society & a broken home. Off he goes into the wild, destination Alaska, to get a first hand experience of living without money & the comforts of life as well as the people he meets en route.

One narration in the movie goes something like this:
how important it is in life,not necessarily to be strong but to feel strong,to measure yourself at least once, define yourself at least once in the most ancient of human conditions, facing the blind deaf stone alone, nothing to help you but your hands & your own head.

The Assassination of Jesse James: This stars Brad Pitt & Casey Affleck (Ben Affleck's brother). Casey walks away with the acting honours as Bob Ford, whose hero worship of Jesse James takes a full turn around as the story unfolds.

Michael Clayton: Starring George Clooney, this is an interesting movie in the thriller category.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.The voice of the majority is no proof of justice."
+Quote Post
Nidhi
post Feb 17 2008, 09:03 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Atonement: A class movie. After a long time, a good movie comes along. Good acting by all the lead players. A good script, based on Ian McEwan's novel of the same name, it has excellent background score by Howard Shore. Romance, Envy & betrayal, it's all there with the background of world war II. Joe Wright, who directed this movie as well 'Pride & Prejudice' (lovely movie) did an excellent job of it. Keira Knightley is as beautiful as ever.

This post has been edited by Nidhi: Feb 17 2008, 09:27 PM

+Quote Post
Reeth
post Feb 19 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6151

QUOTE(Nidhi @ Feb 17 2008, 09:03 PM) *

Atonement: A class movie. After a long time, a good movie comes along. Good acting by all the lead players. A good script, based on Ian McEwan's novel of the same name, it has excellent background score by Howard Shore. Romance, Envy & betrayal, it's all there with the background of world war II. Joe Wright, who directed this movie as well 'Pride & Prejudice' (lovely movie) did an excellent job of it. Keira Knightley is as beautiful as ever.

It has been nominated for seven Oscars including Best Picture and Best Supporting actress...

Attached Image

The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives
by altering their attitudes of mind

-William James
+Quote Post
Nidhi
post Feb 24 2008, 03:50 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

I did see 'Eastern Promises' & 'No country for Old Men'. They are ok, but a little too violent for my taste. ' No country....' has been nominated in 8 categories at the Oscars & it looks like it may win quite a few.

+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Feb 28 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Mr Brooks, The Bucket List & 4 Months 3 Weeks & 2 Days

Just got these from a mate... he says all 3 are good films I'll watch them n report.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
simplefable
post Feb 28 2008, 08:37 PM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 20340

YM bhai..watched the first two..they are Worth our time. Topic of the third film, somehow didnt fancy me... smile.gif Please do let me know about that..

After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
Aldous Huxley

"Waqt ne kiya...Kya haseen sitm...Tum rahe na tum..Hum rahe na hum.."

geetadutt

noorjehan

shamshadbegum

Anmol Fankaar
+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Mar 2 2008, 09:10 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Hi,

Sorry didnt do this b4 I only watched that 3rd film last night... the Jack Nicholson movie was the 1st smile1.gif The guy is a hero, its all abt physical expressions with Jack and of course he has that eyebrow thing going 4 him which never gets old.

Mr Brooks & The Bucket List - They're last years films with big name actors Im sure most here have already seen them both, both are good films nothing to rave on and on abt but defo worth a once-over.

4 Months 3 Weeks & 2 Days

Topic of the third film, somehow didnt fancy me.

Is it that you're an anti abortionist? Sorry 4 the Q but after watching the film myself and understanding it a little I cudnt quite get why the subject matter might put u off... the film is a social realist type film, you know, life captured on camera type, its wot Hollywood has never been abt and wot Bollywood used to be abt.

I watch Bollywood now n then and knowing jack abt Bollywood I ask abt the performers, who's this, who's that, and they tell me, he's related to him, he is his son, she's her daughter, she's the mother of them both and its not long b4 that to you put together that only a few families between them have near total control over bollywood. The production companies, the distribution groups or any other parent, brother, sister companies... to a point the same ppl are involved and its very hard 4 sum1 new in any area to make a mark in bollywood and bollywood isn't small most of the world is its audience. Hollywood is the same, you just have to multiply everything (the good and the bad of Bollywood) by the power of 10 and you get to Hollywood's level the entire world is Hollywood's audience. Between them, they dictate world cinema.

This writers strike has helped other film making nations, Germany, Russia, France and even Korea now they always made quality films but coz of Bollywood n Hollywood they didnt always get a look-in. Now that Hollywood's production has been hit by this strike other countries can now get to showcase their talent such as Romania with this 4 Months 3 Weeks & 2 Days film.

watched the first two..they are Worth our time

Bah! I have little doubt that after watching you will list the 3rd in your Films That Shook Me thread.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
simplefable
post Mar 2 2008, 09:25 PM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(YaarMere @ Mar 2 2008, 09:10 PM) *

Is it that you're an anti abortionist?

No ..YM..i never said it that way. But the review i read was not palatable to me thats all. smile.gif
I think it is strictly personal whether to let the life in you to see the world or not..

QUOTE(YaarMere @ Mar 2 2008, 09:10 PM) *

Bah! I have little doubt that after watching you will list the 3rd in your Films That Shook Me thread.

laugh.gif Really?? Now you made me very inquisitve indeed..Gonna watch it ASAP... smile.gif
Hey..btw, have you watched the film i listed in that section?? I wouldnt put the first too also in that thread. They are common place entertainers.. arent they?

After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
Aldous Huxley

geetadutt

noorjehan

shamshadbegum

Anmol Fankaar
+Quote Post
Nidhi
post Mar 4 2008, 10:00 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

'Mr. Brooks', i do remember having seen this movie a few months back. It is a sort of serial killer stuff with a sophisticated touch, not the gruesome stuff though. Kevin Kostner acts the lead role of a rich guy, who is stuck up with this mania of proving his adeptness at knocking off his victims just for the heck of it. A killer with a soft touch. Demi Moore is there too, in an almost inconsequential role.

'Awake'. It is an interesting plot, though in reality it may seem a trifle far fetched in present day medical practice in the West.

The other movie i had time to see was 'Breach'. Based upon the true story of FBI agent Robert Hanssen, who sold out to the soviets, names of soviet defectors & double agents, as well as other secrets which embarassed the US authorities no end.

I do have the following movies with me which i have not seen yet: 'There will be blood' , 'Enchanted', 'Sweeney Todd: The demon barber of fleet street', ' The Darjeeling Limited' & 'Things we lost in the fire'.

I asked a friend for some comedy stuff & he gave me a few old movies which i am not much aware of. 'The Early Bird', ' A stitch in time' & 'On the Beat' all starring 'Norman Wisdom' and another one 'Silent Movie' with Mel Brooks.

Lastly, i saw one Hindi movie which no one would have even heard of 'The Angrez', It was hilarious stuff based on the antics of two NRI's & a bunch of hyderabadi riff raffs. I enjoyed the hyderabadi language & comedy. Funny all the way through.

+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Mar 4 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Nidhi @ Mar 4 2008, 04:30 PM) *

'Mr. Brooks', i do remember having seen this movie a few months back. It is a sort of serial killer stuff with a sophisticated touch, not the gruesome stuff though. Kevin Kostner acts the lead role of a rich guy, who is stuck up with this mania of proving his adeptness at knocking off his victims just for the heck of it. A killer with a soft touch. Demi Moore is there too, in an almost inconsequential role.

William Hurt was cool in this.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
simplefable
post Mar 4 2008, 10:13 PM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Nidhi @ Mar 4 2008, 10:00 PM) *

I asked a friend for some comedy stuff & he gave me a few old movies which i am not much aware of. 'The Early Bird', ' A stitch in time' & 'On the Beat' all starring 'Norman Wisdom' and another one 'Silent Movie' with Mel Brooks.

Lastly, i saw one Hindi movie which no one would have even heard of 'The Angrez', It was hilarious stuff based on the antics of two NRI's & a bunch of hyderabadi riff raffs. I enjoyed the hyderabadi language & comedy. Funny all the way through.

Nidhi... I too watched The Angrez...kind of run away comedy. lighter kind. You will love Silent movie..it is a rip roaring film.. watch out for cameo roles of Paul Newman, Burt Reynolds..James Caan..Liza minelli..Marcello marceau...and others. Watched " early bird " too..kind of funny film.
My picks for comedy would be..." getting away with murder" starring Jack lemmon and Dan Aykroyd.., What about Bob starring bill murray..etc. Try ' with out a clue" starring Michael caine and Ben kingsley.. a spoof on Sherlock Holmes... it was so hilarious. smile.gif

Aldous Huxley

geetadutt

noorjehan

shamshadbegum

Anmol Fankaar
+Quote Post
Nidhi
post Mar 6 2008, 02:36 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

'What about Bob' is a hilarious movie, i had seen it quite sometime back. 'Without a clue', i have it with me but am still to see it. I do have 'Fawlty Towers' the British comedy serial & did enjoy John Cleese's tongue in cheek approach to comedy.

At long last, I had the opportunity to see 'Brokeback Mountain' & 'The Illusionist' on cable. Brokeback, is a sentimental love story of a gay couple(actually they seem to behave bisexually in the movie). Though the movie is slow, Health Ledger has played the role of Ennis with aplomb.

'The Illusionist' is a lovely movie. It has everything that keeps one's interest; romance, thrill & very good visuals. Ed Norton does great as the illusionist. I did see his ' Painted Veil' too sometime back. It was another fine movie. With the Chinese red revolution as the background, it is about a doctor whose marriage is on the rocks & who has to deal with the outbreak of cholera in a village. Lovely visuals & a fine performance by Ed Norton. There is a very nice tag line for this movie 'Sometimes the greatest journey is the distance between two people'.

'Zodiac' is another movie, i had seen earlier. It's a very interesting film based on the true story of a serial killer.

'The Namesake' by Mira Nair is a very nice film. It is about the cultural gap between two generations of a family settled in the USA. Irfan Khan & Tabu have done a great job as the lead pair.

More later..............

+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Mar 8 2008, 12:46 AM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Made plans 2night to go n watch There will be blood. Im told that Day-Lewis is the same in this as he was in Gangs of NY... that was pure quality (Day Lewis and not the film).

IPB Image
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:18 PM