Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Remembering Pandit Nikhil Banerjee On His 85th Birthday

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Remembering Pandit Nikhil Banerjee On His 85th Birthday
bibhas
post Nov 1 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #16

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1314

QUOTE(bibhas @ Oct 28 2006, 03:11 PM) *

Shaibaal and Pradeep,
Thanks for the wonderful thread and the Charukeshi. Pradeep, love your new name wink2.gif . Would it be possible to upload the program as a non-torrent file?

Talking about Nikhil babu, where can I begin? His music moves me like no other string does (Pt. Vasant Rai's sarod being the exception). If anyone has imbibed Baba Allauddin Khan's genius after Annapurna Devi, it is undoubtedly Nikhil Babu. I hear stories of Nikhil Babu now and then through my guruji. According to Annapoorna ji, Nikhil Babu was the only student who religiously followed the unhurried alap, caressing each note, giving its due importance as taught by her and Baba. As for the emotion he brings to each stroke, one only needs to hear it and feel it, can't be described in words.

It is very sad that he left this world at a young age depriving us of more music. In tribute, I present an unpublished recording of his very last concert, one that he played a week or so before he passed away. One can certainly feel the effect of his ill health on his music in this concert that he played against his doctor's advise. He starts off with Darbari and then follows it up with Hemant.

Bibhas

This track drew a lot less interest than I thought it would! Only one download so far and no responses.

A science that does not deliver us to the portals of metaphysics is a failed science and a religion that does not embrace physics is not grounded in reality.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
surhall
post Nov 2 2006, 04:50 AM
Post #17

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Angels
Member No.: 86

QUOTE(bibhas @ Nov 1 2006, 12:17 AM) *

QUOTE(bibhas @ Oct 28 2006, 03:11 PM) *

Shaibaal and Pradeep,
Thanks for the wonderful thread and the Charukeshi. Pradeep, love your new name wink2.gif . Would it be possible to upload the program as a non-torrent file?

Talking about Nikhil babu, where can I begin? His music moves me like no other string does (Pt. Vasant Rai's sarod being the exception). If anyone has imbibed Baba Allauddin Khan's genius after Annapurna Devi, it is undoubtedly Nikhil Babu. I hear stories of Nikhil Babu now and then through my guruji. According to Annapoorna ji, Nikhil Babu was the only student who religiously followed the unhurried alap, caressing each note, giving its due importance as taught by her and Baba. As for the emotion he brings to each stroke, one only needs to hear it and feel it, can't be described in words.

It is very sad that he left this world at a young age depriving us of more music. In tribute, I present an unpublished recording of his very last concert, one that he played a week or so before he passed away. One can certainly feel the effect of his ill health on his music in this concert that he played against his doctor's advise. He starts off with Darbari and then follows it up with Hemant.

Bibhas

This track drew a lot less interest than I thought it would! Only one download so far and no responses.

VE RY GOOD RAAG I HV SOME RAAG N B ON SAT - SUN U/L
NOW U/L TWO RARE PICTURE NEXT PAGE PLZ SEE THER.
THANKS
DHALL
+Quote Post
shaibaal
post Nov 2 2006, 08:37 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 1177

Bibhas,

I am so thrilled to see you here again - I am sure things will pick up. You know why I did not d/l.. smile.gif

Here are links to a couple of videos of Nikhil Babu on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MgRMOOgt40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaFQkHBA-NE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxT-JYLP-bM

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use - Galileo Galilei
+Quote Post
bibhas
post Nov 2 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #19

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(shaibaal @ Nov 1 2006, 10:07 PM) *

Bibhas,

I am so thrilled to see you here again - I am sure things will pick up. You know why I did not d/l.. smile.gif

Here are links to a couple of videos of Nikhil Babu on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MgRMOOgt40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaFQkHBA-NE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxT-JYLP-bM

Shaibaal,
I am trying but it's hard. Life has been so hectic this year. Hope 2007 will be easier on me.

I just heard that Ustad Ali Akbar's wife, Mary, is putting together a library of a vast array of ICM collection focussed on unreleased and private concerts as well as recordings from Riyaz etc. It will catalog all known and unknown recordings of Ali Akbar Khan Sahib , as well as other Maihar notables...Nikhil Babu included. This library will offer written compositions, sound database to match the composition, Khan Sahib or a senior student performing the composition, unreleased concert footage, video, audio...The works! just about everything as a resource for viewing, listening, studying this music. It is a plan that has been in the works for some time and is on the eve of becoming a reality......

Bibhas

A science that does not deliver us to the portals of metaphysics is a failed science and a religion that does not embrace physics is not grounded in reality.
+Quote Post
bibhas
post Nov 6 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #20

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

My Nikhil Banerjee upload seems to have drawn Anurag here after a long time.

Anurag bhai, pasand aaya?

+Quote Post
shaibaal
post Nov 7 2006, 12:51 AM
Post #21

Group Icon

Bibhas, I noticed that too! Hopefully we can tempt him with some more offerings -

the sweet sadness of Zila Kafi - dhun - charming nonetheless.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use - Galileo Galilei
+Quote Post
bibhas
post Nov 10 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #22

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Wonderful dhun Shaibaal. Has been in repeat mode on my mp3 for some time now. Very haunting, lilting, kinda sad but captivating ! Full of emotion.

QUOTE(shaibaal @ Nov 6 2006, 02:21 PM) *

Bibhas, I noticed that too! Hopefully we can tempt him with some more offerings -

the sweet sadness of Zila Kafi - dhun - charming nonetheless.

+Quote Post
bibhas
post Nov 11 2006, 11:49 AM
Post #23

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Could someone please upload Nikhil babu's Kirwani? Seems to be the major missing raaga from my collection!

+Quote Post
shaibaal
post Nov 11 2006, 07:29 PM
Post #24

Group Icon

QUOTE(bibhas @ Nov 11 2006, 01:19 AM) *

Could someone please upload Nikhil babu's Kirwani? Seems to be the major missing raaga from my collection!

Bibhas,

Main hoon na! smile.gif
I read somewhere that Kirwani is a form of Piloo that is "extinct" - but in this wonderful rendition (we expect no less from Nikhilbabu and he has never disappointed - on the contrary it has always been exhilirating to listen to this genius) I could sense traces of Piloo - maybe it was just my imagination after I had read about it. smile.gif

Enjoy!

+Quote Post
bibhas
post Nov 27 2006, 07:44 PM
Post #25

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Shaibaal,
First of all, Thank you so very much for the upload. Of course, aap ho na! I apologize for downloading it promptly but not thanking you right away. Your comments on the Piloo - Kirwani similarity got me thinking and I wanted to respond and so took the time to listen to a lot of Piloo and Kirwani in the last two weeks. My opinion on this matter is thus: there is some inherent similarity between the two raagas but to a rather limited extent. You're right about traces of Piloo in NB's Kirwani but I think it's more a case of the converse in most recitals. Since Piloo is often played as a light raaga in the form of a dhun or a "Mishra" version, shades of Kirwani can be heard not too uncommonly in recordings of Piloo.

Bibhas

QUOTE(shaibaal @ Nov 11 2006, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(bibhas @ Nov 11 2006, 01:19 AM) *

Bibhas,

Main hoon na! smile.gif
I read somewhere that Kirwani is a form of Piloo that is "extinct" - but in this wonderful rendition (we expect no less from Nikhilbabu and he has never disappointed - on the contrary it has always been exhilirating to listen to this genius) I could sense traces of Piloo - maybe it was just my imagination after I had read about it. smile.gif

Enjoy!

+Quote Post
anurag
post Dec 24 2006, 02:37 AM
Post #26

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 550

Bibhas, Shaibaal

You are right. :-) I happened to be here last month and probably saw this thread as well but had to leave soon so could n't follow it up then. Just reading your messages now. I prolly did not download that unreleased recording either. No worries there. Nikhil Banerjee's sitar playing needs no mention from me -- you both know how much I adore his playing and the quite demenaor that he had. I only wonder what a treat it would have been for us had he been alive today!!

Anurag

QUOTE(bibhas @ Nov 6 2006, 09:49 AM) *

Anurag bhai, pasand aaya?

QUOTE(shaibaal @ Nov 6 2006, 02:21 PM) *

Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living". I fear if I examined it, then according to Heisenberg uncertainty principle it would somehow change. After all, we are just particles.
+Quote Post
rahuul
post Dec 24 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

Member No.: 3891

It is wonderful to be in the companion of such wonderful people who share the same passion for quality Hindustani music.
As you can see,I am new to the forum but want to share some treasure which I collected personally by recording from Doordarshan.Priveleged to record one of Nikhil Banerjee.Here is a rare clip of Nikhil Banerjee which was a part of a DD documentary-"Origin of Sitar".
The original quality of transmission was not very good,hence the quality of the video is not that great.

+Quote Post
shaibaal
post Dec 24 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #28

Group Icon

QUOTE(rahuul @ Dec 24 2006, 07:07 AM) *

It is wonderful to be in the companion of such wonderful people who share the same passion for quality Hindustani music.
As you can see,I am new to the forum but want to share some treasure which I collected personally by recording from Doordarshan.Priveleged to record one of Nikhil Banerjee.Here is a rare clip of Nikhil Banerjee which was a part of a DD documentary-"Origin of Sitar".
The original quality of transmission was not very good,hence the quality of the video is not that great.

Rahuul,

Absolutely priceless!!

You have my deepest gratitude - never mind the quality of the video - even the six minutes of Jhinjhoti that he plays can move one to tears.

Welcome to HF and Raag Rang! smile.gif

Shaibaal

+Quote Post
rahuul
post Dec 26 2006, 05:06 AM
Post #29

Group Icon

Member No.: 3891

QUOTE(shaibaal @ Dec 24 2006, 07:20 PM) *

QUOTE(rahuul @ Dec 24 2006, 07:07 AM) *

Rahuul,

Absolutely priceless!!

You have my deepest gratitude - never mind the quality of the video - even the six minutes of Jhinjhoti that he plays can move one to tears.

Welcome to HF and Raag Rang! smile.gif

Shaibaal

My pleasure!I am starting a thread for some of my AIR collections.Hope you like that one too! smile.gif
+Quote Post
bibhas
post Dec 28 2006, 05:37 AM
Post #30

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(anurag @ Dec 23 2006, 04:07 PM) *

Bibhas, Shaibaal

You are right. :-) I happened to be here last month and probably saw this thread as well but had to leave soon so could n't follow it up then. Just reading your messages now. I prolly did not download that unreleased recording either. No worries there. Nikhil Banerjee's sitar playing needs no mention from me -- you both know how much I adore his playing and the quite demenaor that he had. I only wonder what a treat it would have been for us had he been alive today!!

Anurag

Anurag,
So nice to see you in RR again. Hope life is treating you well. Let me know if you'd like me to upload the unreleased NB track again; it's a darbari+hemant from his last concert in Kolkata not long before his passing.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 07:42 AM