Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Cant Delete A Folder

, And I really want to!

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cant Delete A Folder, And I really want to!
YaarMere
post Jul 12 2008, 07:46 AM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 5

I have this folder which I have been trying to delete 4 a week now but Im unable to... the message I get reads:

Cannot delete file: Cannot read 4rom the source file or disk

Help me.

IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nidhi
post Jul 12 2008, 09:39 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 6496

A virus may have locked a particular file wihin the folder. There is a program called file unlocker, you can download this. Better still this there is another program called file assasin, you can use this to kill the file. I presume that some of the dll's owing allegiance to the floating trojans or viruses are in those folder. If you can kill those, then things may be ok. First you have to locate the file that is locked.

"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.The voice of the majority is no proof of justice."
+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Jul 12 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

This is wot I get:

The file you have specified does not exist or is not visible to FA. Please select another file.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
deewani
post Jul 13 2008, 07:47 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2053

Did you try booting the PC in safe mode? Try that and see if you can get rid of it (this presumably minimizes the programs that are controlling the file).

Doston, Apna Tau Yeh Imaan Hai
Jo Bhi Jitna Saath De, Ehsaan Hai
Umr Ka Rishta Jodne Waale
Apni Nazar Mein Deewane Hai

Thanks for the memories HF. Bye Bye.
deewani is "permanently away"

+Quote Post
azad
post Jul 13 2008, 09:48 AM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2731

Probably a case of a corrupted file header in that folder. Run "scan disk" with the option to automatically repair the damaged files, after repair you will be able to delete the culprit.
Depending on the OS on your system but Windows Vista has the function called "check volume for errors" and can be found when you right click on the drive letter where your folder is go to properties------->tools tab--------->check now. It might ask you to schedule the scan upon next reboot because the disk is in use now, select yes, and reboot the pc.

Azad
Paana hai kahbi, kabhi kuchh paana hai, kabhi kuchh khona hai, yahan jo hona hai hoga wohi
Yehi zindagi hai, yahan jiyein wohi log jo, saare gham bhulake aansuon mein muskurate hain

+Quote Post
HumTum
post Jul 13 2008, 09:57 AM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8009

QUOTE(azad @ Jul 13 2008, 09:48 AM) *
Probably a case of a corrupted file header in that folder. Run "scan disk" with the option to automatically repair the damaged files, after repair you will be able to delete the culprit.
Depending on the OS on your system but Windows Vista has the function called "check volume for errors" and can be found when you right click on the drive letter where your folder is go to properties------->tools tab--------->check now. It might ask you to schedule the scan upon next reboot because the disk is in use now, select yes, and reboot the pc.

YM dost, I had a similar problem with the external disk and I did what Azad bhai has written above and it fixed the problem and I could delete the file after the scan which fixed the error.

If you are on windows xp.

Go to Run > type cmd > you will get a black dialog box with C:\prompt pointing to documents folders. Type the following for example - This is how my c: prompt is.. you may have a different one.

C:\Documents and Settings\Regular>

Now type this -

chkdsk yourdrivename: /f

For example the folder is on E drive of my system I would type

chkdsk E: /f

And if it is on the drive where your operating system is then you will have to wait till your system reboots for the scan to take place (as mentioned by Azad bhai).

+Quote Post
Marcilo
post Jul 14 2008, 12:57 AM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 309

Kaya complication hi.... laugh.gif

One cannot delete folder if there is a file under folder and that file is in use. File can be hidden, read only or both. It could be that file is flagged as system file. First, view all the files in directory, make sure you can view system and hidden files. Now, see if the file is being used. See if it's in task manager, running as a process. Kill that process. If it's a DLL or associate file, kill the main application/process then delete it.
Deewani has suggested safe mode that is excellent way of making sure not all applications are loaded when you boot

- Just another gummy bear fan
+Quote Post
HumTum
post Jul 14 2008, 09:09 AM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 8009

QUOTE(Marcilo @ Jul 14 2008, 12:57 AM) *
Kaya complication hi.... laugh.gif

One cannot delete folder if there is a file under folder and that file is in use. File can be hidden, read only or both. It could be that file is flagged as system file. First, view all the files in directory, make sure you can view system and hidden files. Now, see if the file is being used. See if it's in task manager, running as a process. Kill that process. If it's a DLL or associate file, kill the main application/process then delete it.
Deewani has suggested safe mode that is excellent way of making sure not all applications are loaded when you boot

closedeyes.gif Complication ki baat nahi hai bhai. Remember my writing to you about the problem I had in copying huge files to the external hard disk. When I reconnect the hard disk I found the copied file is visible on the hard disk but was not copied full and when I attempted to delete it I would get the same response that YM got. There is no question of a file within a file! ohmy.gif So finally as a last resort I ran the scandisk which was when the errors got fixed and the file was finally removed. huh.gif Ab baat samajh mein aayi aap ko. wink.gif

This post has been edited by HumTum: Jul 14 2008, 09:10 AM
+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Jul 14 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Thanks Azad I'll try wot you suggest.

I already tried the 'safe mode' thing but no joy.

Humtum, post 6 look complicated.

Marcilo you are right... there is a folder within a folder which is read only and i cant uncheck it.

Btw, Im on XP.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Jul 15 2008, 12:32 AM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

I went to My Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Properties > Tools > Error Checking and ticked both: fix file system errors and scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

The scan took pure time over 45mins but after I was able to delete the read-only folder which was inside the main folder but that main folder still wont delete... I get the same error message in post 1.

This post has been edited by YaarMere: Jul 15 2008, 12:34 AM

IPB Image
+Quote Post
azad
post Jul 15 2008, 04:34 AM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2731

QUOTE(YaarMere @ Jul 15 2008, 03:02 AM) *
I went to My Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Properties > Tools > Error Checking and ticked both: fix file system errors and scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

The scan took pure time over 45mins but after I was able to delete the read-only folder which was inside the main folder but that main folder still wont delete... I get the same error message in post 1.
YM, Try scan disk a second time with the same options, I am sure you can get rid of the folder this time.

Azad
Paana hai kahbi, kabhi kuchh paana hai, kabhi kuchh khona hai, yahan jo hona hai hoga wohi
Yehi zindagi hai, yahan jiyein wohi log jo, saare gham bhulake aansuon mein muskurate hain

+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Jul 15 2008, 06:41 PM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Serious? Ok... will do.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
balajigade
post Jul 15 2008, 09:35 PM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 4122

Check the c:/windows or c:/documents & settings/administrator folders. Do you have a hidden-like (dim) folder named 'hinhem' or 'svchost' ?
Do you also get duplicate folders in dim shade which cannot be deleted?
Does your right click-paste function of the mouse always contain a filename without doing any cut/copy function?
Is your taskmanager is enabled?
Are you able to open the command prompt? If so try deleting the file in the dos mode.

--Balaji
+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Jul 18 2008, 03:39 PM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Nothing I do with this folder seems to work... nothing will delete it.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
King Kishore
post Jul 18 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Angels
Member No.: 10681

There is a freeware program called DeleteDir (Delete Directory).
This allows you to mark a folder to be deleted on the next reboot.
It does it in Dos, before windows loads.

Hope this helps.

-----
Aadmi Theek Se Dekh Paata Naheen, Aur Parde Pe Manzar Badal Jaata Hai,
Ek Baar Chaley Jaate Hain Jo Din-Raat, Suboh-Shaam, Wo Phir Naheen Aate, Wo Phir Naheen Aate,
Zindagi Ke Safar Mein Guzar Jaate Hain Jo Makaam, Wo Phir Naheen Aate, Wo Phir Naheen Aate...

-----
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:34 AM