Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Music Director Ravi,

, the unsung hero

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Music Director Ravi,, the unsung hero
maheshks
post Jun 13 2005, 04:36 AM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1790

It is strange that a music director whose songs are sung by so many people has remained unsung. People even donot know, while singing his melodies, about the name of the music director. Ravi Saab is the only Indian music director who has given music for the big Hollywood production house, twentieth century fox films. No other Indian music director has attained this status so far. Even percentage wise, he has given the maximum hits and his success rate is much more than any other music director of India. I find that he is really an unsung hero and it pains me when I find that people write so much about the music directors who were simply mediocre before him.

Who can forget his music in movies like Chaudhvin Ka Chand, Pyaar Ka Sagar,Gharana, Yeh Raaste Hain Pyaar Ke, Gumrah, Bharosa, Aaj Aur Kal, Door Ki Awaaz, Waqt, Khandaan, Kaajal, Phool Aur Patthar, Dus Lakh, Hamraaz, Neel Kamal, Aankhen, Do Kaliyaan, Do badan, Ek Phool Do Mali, Nai Roshni, Aadmi Aur Insaan, Dhund, Ek Mahal Ho Sapnon Ka, Amaanat, Nikaah and many more.

The following is a brief write up on him taken from Music India Online site. Thanks that the music company has a high regard for him.

RAVI

Ravi Shankar Sharma was born into a family of music lovers. Having little formal training he started singing Hindi film songs as a child. He astounded his father with a near perfect rendition of a popular film bhajan and became a regular at bhajan mandlis. But his yen went beyond simply bhajan singing, and he started learning the harmonium.

Being from a family that valued education, Ravi put his ambition of singing on the backburner and concentrated on getting a ‘real’ job. But life obviously had other plans. Between ’45 and ’50, he worked in the Post &Telegraph department and got married. He signed up as an amateur artiste with AIR. As luck would have it, he soon got posted to a remote town on the Punjab border and decided that he had had enough. He came to Bombay for twenty days and stayed on for good.

Numerous futile visits to the music directors of the time followed. One day, Ravi got an offer to sing in a chorus for the song ‘Vande Mataram’ from Anandmath for the legendary Hemant Kumar. This association with Kumar lasted many years in films like Shart and Nagin.

Life however, was still a struggle. Things however changed forever with Devendra Goel's Vachan. Hits like 'Chandamama Door Ke' and 'Ek Paisa Dede Babu' saw Ravi coming into his own. Films like Mehendi, Ghar Sansar and Dilli Ka Thug then came his way.

The second turning point came with ‘Chaudvin Ka Chand’. From the sublime title track to 'Mili Khaak Mein Mohabbat', this album was Ravi at his refined best. With this film came unrivalled success. Then like his guide Hemant Kumar, he too worked with films from Madras, including Gemini films' Ghunghat, Gharana and Aurat.

By 1961, life became much easier. He continued working with studios of the south, scoring Vassan films' Bharosa ('Is Bhari Duniya Mein') and Khandan ('Tumhi Mere Mandir') for which he won the Filmfare award in '65. He also worked with AVM and Shivaji Ganeshan, earning the title of King of Madras. And with 'Jab Chali Thandi Hawa' and other gems from Do Badan and the very entertaining China Town soundtrack, Ravi was on a high.

The seventies and eighties, the latter especially saw a slump in Ravi's career. He took to composing for Malayalam films like Nakakshathangal, which won a National award. As recently as 1994, he scored National Award winning tunes for Parinayam and Sukhrutham. In fact, this year, this prolific and grossly underrated composer will complete fifty years in the film industry. No mean feat that in a world where survival let alone longevity is a challenge.

It is often seen that some directors enjoy a special rapport with their composers. With B.R.Chopra, it was Ravi. There alliance started with Gumrah, which featured some truly memorable tracks like 'Tujhko Mera Pyar Pukare' and Sahir's poignantly worded 'Chalo Ek Baar'. Films like Waqt ('Aye Meri Zohra Jabeen'), Humraaz and Nikaah followed.

As for vocalists, Ravi has worked with the best. His favourite remains Mohammed Rafi. This was because he believed Rafi could do justice to any tune, however complex. Another singer he considers highly is Kishore Kumar, for his sheer instinct, which more than made up for his lack of formal training.

Working with Chopra meant employing Mahendra Kapoor and adjusting to his vocal limitations. The result was songs like 'In Hawaon Mein' and 'Neele Gagan Ke Tale'. A reflection perhaps of Ravi's belief that it is the lyrics and melody that truly makes a song, not merely the singer.

As for the ladies, Ravi worked more with Asha. Lata did however do some noteworthy tracks like 'Milti Hai Zindagi Mein Mohabbat' from Ankhen. Asha, on the other hand, rendered beauties like 'Jab Chali Thandi Hawa' and 'Aage Bhi Jaane Na Tu'.

Though not as flamboyant as some of his contemporaries, Ravi was no doubt a versatile composer. He worked well with traditional forms like bhajans, ghazals and qawalis but he could just as easily compose 'Baar Baar Dekho' a distinctly westernised tune. Interestingly, western musicians paid him royalties on two of his tunes.

Ravi's only grouse was that he was never really acknowledged by the film industry. Thrice his films have won awards for best singer and lyricist but he has been ignored in Chaudvin Ka Chand, Gumrah and Nikaah. A measure of his contribution is the Padmashri he won in '71 for his outstanding work in the field.

Attached Image Attached Image

I bow.gif bow.gif before this great music director Ravi Saab.

When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kurtcobain
post Jun 16 2005, 02:55 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 762

Working with Chopra meant employing Mahendra Kapoor and adjusting to his vocal limitations. The result was songs like 'In Hawaon Mein' and 'Neele Gagan Ke Tale'. A reflection perhaps of Ravi's belief that it is the lyrics and melody that truly makes a song, not merely the singer.

great article dude, thanks

but i feel that the following line regarding mahendra kapoor was MEAN blab.gif

mahendra kapoor did a fab job in gumraah, nikaah, and songs like 'chalo ek baar phir se'

the author is clearly biased

thanks for the informative article anyway

KS fanclub website
KS fanclub message board- home of more than 600 KS fans
user posted image user posted image
user posted imageuser posted image
'king of melody' kumar sanu recieving ARTIST OF THE DECADE award at Atlantic City,USA
+Quote Post
oye_sonu
post Jun 25 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2547

mahesh ji
Excellent info on RAVI saab !!

i think he is the one of the most underrated music director.

Regarding mahendra kappor i think he was great in those movies but people do not like him coz of bit similar voice to Rafi saaab!!

Else he has done good job in those movies.
Mahendra kapoor telling in one of his articles that when he got first filmfare award
no big singer came to congarat him except mukesh saab.

RAvi continue to give good songs with Mahendra kappor till 80s.

correct me if wrong some where

god bless

Sonu

forgive me if I miss replying or reading ur post............bit busy :-( !
Duniya ne kitna samjhaya, kaun hai apna kaun paraya
Phir bhi dil ki chot chhupa kar humne aapka dil behalya
Khud hi mar mitne ki ye zid hai hamaari......
sach hai duniya waalon hum hain anari !

......back to basics!!!

My artists :-
Shankar Jaikishan- Composers with magical touch !!

This year we CELEBRATE 60 years of Shankar Jaikishan music . come join the celebrations !
Join the SJ fans group for more information :
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/shankarjaikishan/

Join FACEBOOK shankar jaikishan group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=123537751015751
+Quote Post
maheshks
post Jul 1 2005, 03:15 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1790

RAVI ,
A Musical Odyssey

NALIN SHAH goes down memory lane.

Nalin Shah in conversation with Ravi (An old interview)

You wanted to be a singer, how is it that you became a music director?

After having worked as an assistant to Hemant Kumar I was inspired to be a music director. In fact it was Hemant Kumar who insisted on my becoming a composer.

How was your experience with Hemant Kumar?

It was wonderful. He inspired me and Kalyanjibhai to create that famous 'Snake Charmer' tune in 'Nagin'. We did it on a harmonium and clay violin.

What else did you learn from Hemant Kumar?

I learned that songs must be musically and lyrically pleasing. For example, in the song' Man dole... Kaun bajaye bansuriya' only the word bansuriya at the end of the line fits lyrically, though there was no 'bansari' (flute) in the music. The effect was more important than authenticity.

Who do you think are the most important people in your life professionally?

Hemant Kumar and Devendra Goel. The latter gave me chance in 'Vachan' and never did a film without me, except his last.
How is it that you got a 'Padma Shri in 1971 and Hemant Kumar got it in 1987 which he refused?

What does an award mean? When Sahir got one he refused to accept it by saying that he had always been writing good lyrics.

When you got a 'Filinfare' award for' Gharana I in 1961 don't you think it should have rightfully gone to Naushad for 'Ganga Jamuna'?

If you look at it that way then why did I not get awards for 'Chawdhvin Ka Chand', 'Ghunghat','Gumrah'?

Did you ever, like Shanker Jaikishan, manipulate to get an award?

No. I kept away from such practices.

Did you spend money to popu larise your music?

No, I did not spend to get my songs played on Radio Ceylon, Vividh Bharti or in 'Binaca Geet Mala'.

Did you have any formal training in classical music?

No.

Yet you won the Sur Singar Samsad award for Jeevan jyot jale (Grihasti) as the best classical song?

one learns as one goes on.

Who is your favourite classical singer?

Bade Ghularn Ali.

Amongst the playback singers,

Mohamad Rafi, of course. I also wish to compose for Rajkumari; she is great.

You said Rafi, but most of your songs are sung by Mahendra Kapoor?

You see, B R Chopra had some misunderstanding with Rafi during the filming of 'Dhool Ka Phool' so he opted for Mahendra Kapoor. Mahendra was cheaper also. But, for the 'Waqt' title song ('Waqt ke din aur raat') I insisted on Rafl and managed to get him.

'Chawdhvin Ka Chand' was your crowning glory. Why did Guru Datt select you for the Muslim subject when he could have got Naushad or Ghulam Mohamed?

I had asked Guru Dutt the same question and he had said that he was impressed by my work in 'Mehndi' earlier.

After doing so many films with you why has B R Chopra now opted for Kalyanji-Anandi?

Just as we change our singers a producer has the right to change his music director.

What do you think of the present-day film music?

I am a lover of the old music of Pt Amarnath, Ghulam Hyder and the rest. That is the reason a producer comes to me when he wants sweet and quiet type of music.

Were you inspired by Naushad's 'Babul 'number 'Milte hi aankhen dil hu va diwana kisi ka' to compose'Dil ke arman aan suon men bahe gaye 'in 'Nikah"

No. You see I had composed 18 different tunes for' Dil ke Arman 'but Salma could not do justice to any one of them because of her limitations. So I thought of Asha Bhosle. When Salma came to know she rushed to B R Chopra with tearful eyes. She was more interested in singing than acting. So Chopra saab asked me to compose anything as long as it was sung by Salma. Even in 'Dil ki yeh arzoo hai koi dilrooba mile' Salma couldnt sing in a high pitch to match Mahendra's voice. So I had to do a lot of compromises while composing her portion of the song.

But the 'Nikah'songs were hit in spite of the compromises?

Yes, and Salma said in an interview that the 'Nikah' songs were popular because of her.

How did you react?

I decided not to work with Salma in future.

What do you think of the new ghazal singers?

They are multiplying like mosquitoes. Most of them are singing filmi ghazals.

But ghazals are becoming popular?

Because the film music lacks sweetness.
Is there a song which you wish you had composed?

Yes,' Mohe bhul gaye sanvarliya' ('Baiju Bawra') by Naushad.

There is hardly any composer in the last 25 years who has not copied Western tunes. I am sure you are not an exception.

Well, there is nothing wrong in taking an inspiration. I composed 'Dil Karta 0 yaara dil daara' ('Admi Aur Insaan') on a Western beat which I had heard somewhere. But sometimes it could be the other way round too. For instance, my tune 'Baar baar dekho, hazar baar dekho' from 'China Town 'was copied abroad. I was surprised when the gramophone company abroad sent me the royalty for having used my tune. They are at least more honest even in their theft.

What about your' C A T -cat, cat mane billi 'from 'Dilli Ka Thug'?

You see rock-n-roll was very much in fashion those days (1958)- S D Narang (director) requested me to compose something to match the popular melodies of similar type such as'Lal lal gaal','Mr John', 'Inna Minna Di kka'. 'C A T. cat' in the voices of Kishore and Asha proved extremely popular.

What do you think of the modern composers?

Laxmikant-Pyarelal are really good.

Are you temperate in your habits?

I am vegetarian. I don't smoke, I don't chew paan and I drink occasionally.

Are you interested in politics?

Not exactly, but I am a supporter of Congress-I.

When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others
+Quote Post
sbfan
post Jul 25 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1475

Hi Maheshksji

very informative posts,Thanks yes I also belive that he gave the timeless melodies but forgotten.he got best music director award from gujarat government.
Chitra got national award for the song composed by him in malayalam film and 5 times honoured by Kerala government.

Thanks once again for these good ones bow.gif bow.gif

warm regards

ashish

MERI NEENDON MEIN TUM
MERE KHWABON MEIN TUM

LONG LIVE SHAMSHAD BEGUM
IPB Image
+Quote Post
shrikant21120
post Sep 23 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 237

QUOTE(maheshks @ Jul 1 2005, 03:15 AM) *

<span style='color:red'>RAVI ,
A Musical Odyssey</span>.

NALIN SHAH goes down memory lane.

Nalin Shah in conversation with Ravi (An old interview)

<span style='color:blue'>You wanted to be a singer, how is it that you became a music director?</span>

After having worked as an assistant to Hemant Kumar I was inspired to be a music director. In fact it was Hemant Kumar who insisted on my becoming a composer.

<span style='color:blue'>How was your experience with Hemant Kumar?</span>

It was wonderful. He inspired me and Kalyanjibhai to create that famous 'Snake Charmer' tune in 'Nagin'. We did it on a harmonium and clay violin.

<span style='color:blue'>What else did you learn from Hemant Kumar</span>?

I learned that songs must be musically and lyrically pleasing. For example, in the song' Man dole... Kaun bajaye bansuriya' only the word bansuriya at the end of the line fits lyrically, though there was no 'bansari' (flute) in the music. The effect was more important than authenticity.

<span style='color:blue'>Who do you think are the most important people in your life professionally</span>?

Hemant Kumar and Devendra Goel. The latter gave me chance in 'Vachan' and never did a film without me, except his last.
<span style='color:blue'>How is it that you got a 'Padma Shri in 1971 and Hemant Kumar got it in 1987 which he refused? </span>

What does an award mean? When Sahir got one he refused to accept it by saying that he had always been writing good lyrics.

<span style='color:blue'>When you got a 'Filinfare' award for' Gharana I in 1961 don't you think it should have rightfully gone to Naushad for 'Ganga Jamuna'</span>?

If you look at it that way then why did I not get awards for 'Chawdhvin Ka Chand', 'Ghunghat','Gumrah'?

<span style='color:blue'>Did you ever, like Shanker Jaikishan, manipulate to get an award</span>?

No. I kept away from such practices.

<span style='color:blue'>Did you spend money to popu larise your music?</span>

No, I did not spend to get my songs played on Radio Ceylon, Vividh Bharti or in 'Binaca Geet Mala'.

<span style='color:blue'>Did you have any formal training in classical music?</span>

No.

<span style='color:blue'>Yet you won the Sur Singar Samsad award for Jeevan jyot jale (Grihasti) as the best classical song?</span>

one learns as one goes on.

<span style='color:blue'>Who is your favourite classical singer?</span>

Bade Ghularn Ali.

<span style='color:blue'>Amongst the playback singers</span>,

Mohamad Rafi, of course. I also wish to compose for Rajkumari; she is great.
<span style='color:blue'>

You said Rafi, but most of your songs are sung by Mahendra Kapoor?</span>

You see, B R Chopra had some misunderstanding with Rafi during the filming of 'Dhool Ka Phool' so he opted for Mahendra Kapoor. Mahendra was cheaper also. But, for the 'Waqt' title song ('Waqt ke din aur raat') I insisted on Rafl and managed to get him.

<span style='color:blue'>'Chawdhvin Ka Chand' was your crowning glory. Why did Guru Datt select you for the Muslim subject when he could have got Naushad or Ghulam Mohamed?</span>

I had asked Guru Dutt the same question and he had said that he was impressed by my work in 'Mehndi' earlier.

<span style='color:blue'>After doing so many films with you why has B R Chopra now opted for Kalyanji-Anandi?</span>

Just as we change our singers a producer has the right to change his music director.

<span style='color:blue'>What do you think of the present-day film music?</span>

I am a lover of the old music of Pt Amarnath, Ghulam Hyder and the rest. That is the reason a producer comes to me when he wants sweet and quiet type of music.

<span style='color:blue'>Were you inspired by Naushad's 'Babul 'number 'Milte hi aankhen dil hu va diwana kisi ka' to compose'Dil ke arman aan suon men bahe gaye 'in 'Nikah"</span>

No. You see I had composed 18 different tunes for' Dil ke Arman 'but Salma could not do justice to any one of them because of her limitations. So I thought of Asha Bhosle. When Salma came to know she rushed to B R Chopra with tearful eyes. She was more interested in singing than acting. So Chopra saab asked me to compose anything as long as it was sung by Salma. Even in 'Dil ki yeh arzoo hai koi dilrooba mile' Salma couldnt sing in a high pitch to match Mahendra's voice. So I had to do a lot of compromises while composing her portion of the song.

<span style='color:blue'>But the 'Nikah'songs were hit in spite of the compromises</span>?

Yes, and Salma said in an interview that the 'Nikah' songs were popular because of her.

<span style='color:blue'>How did you react?</span>

I decided not to work with Salma in future.

<span style='color:blue'>What do you think of the new ghazal singers?</span>

They are multiplying like mosquitoes. Most of them are singing filmi ghazals.

<span style='color:blue'>But ghazals are becoming popular?</span>

Because the film music lacks sweetness.
<span style='color:red'>Is there a song which you wish you had composed?</span>

Yes,' Mohe bhul gaye sanvarliya' ('Baiju Bawra') by Naushad.

<span style='color:blue'>There is hardly any composer in the last 25 years who has not copied Western tunes. I am sure you are not an exception.</span>

Well, there is nothing wrong in taking an inspiration. I composed 'Dil Karta 0 yaara dil daara' ('Admi Aur Insaan') on a Western beat which I had heard somewhere. But sometimes it could be the other way round too. For instance, my tune 'Baar baar dekho, hazar baar dekho' from 'China Town 'was copied abroad. I was surprised when the gramophone company abroad sent me the royalty for having used my tune. They are at least more honest even in their theft.

<span style='color:blue'>What about your' C A T -cat, cat mane billi 'from 'Dilli Ka Thug'? </span>

You see rock-n-roll was very much in fashion those days (1958)- S D Narang (director) requested me to compose something to match the popular melodies of similar type such as'Lal lal gaal','Mr John', 'Inna Minna Di kka'. 'C A T. cat' in the voices of Kishore and Asha proved extremely popular.

<span style='color:blue'>What do you think of the modern composers?</span>

Laxmikant-Pyarelal are really good.

<span style='color:blue'>Are you temperate in your habits</span>?

I am vegetarian. I don't smoke, I don't chew paan and I drink occasionally.

<span style='color:blue'>Are you interested in politics</span>?

Not exactly, but I am a supporter of Congress-I.

Interesting to note that B.R.Chopra had some misunderstanding with Rafi during Dhool ka phool. Rafi has left his mark in that film with " Tu Hindu banega na mussalman banega" and has taken that song to a new height. Mahendra, nevertheless scores as well with " tere pyar ka aasra chahta hoon" and in the duet with asha " dhadak ne lagi dil ke taron ki duniya"

Mahendra himself has said in various interviews( some of them already posted in this forum) in all his modesty that his voice comes no where near Rafi saab's. Someone has cruelly described mahendra's voice as "thick nasal"( No wonder it suits Manoj Kumar) and you have to admit is quite irritating in many songs. If you listen to songs from Kajal. Only two sung by rafi stand out ( choo lene do and Yeh zulf agar). No one remembers the rest by Kapoor. Kajal has music by Ravi but I do not think is a B.R. production, then why did Ravi take Mahendra for Kajal for the lesser hit songs?

Can anyone throw more light on the so perceived B.R.- Rafi rift. This was news to me!

+Quote Post
bawlachintu
post May 4 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 743

Song:Ghoda pishauri(peshawari) mera

Film: Pyar ka bandhan
Year: 1963
Lyrics:Sahir Ludhiyanwi

Song is picturised on Rajkumar(Info coursey: Mr.Vasudev)

Here is the best singer of universe

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw ."

+Quote Post
Sharad
post Jun 22 2006, 01:49 AM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 7

oh come on dawgg, those 2 mahendra kapoor songs in kaajal are bonneeee chillin
ok at least to me
aapke paas jo aayega pighal jaayega
must be the mix of music, tune and singing that gets to me - i love that one

ok but is this really true - i don't think so - that ravi composed more songs for mahendra than rafi ?
i think rafi's number should be higher

--Sharad

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:45 AM