Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Remembering Madan Mohan

, 30 years later

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Remembering Madan Mohan, 30 years later
unni
post Jul 15 2005, 10:40 AM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
From: Vaanar Nivas, Tribandar Marg, Bandarabad, MONKEYSTAN.
Member No.: 356

Mumbai, July 14, 2005

Remembering Madan Mohan, 30 years later

Madan Mohan, who never got his due in his lifetime, is today talked of as a retro-legend of Bollywood music.

As his 30th death anniversary was observed Thursday, the musical emperor in exile was back in the hearts of his admirers - ever more because of his haunting tunes in Veer Zaara.

"His ghazals have no parallel. But he could also compose every other kind of song like the folk tune Jhumka gira re, which my sister Asha sang. Why don't we regard talent for what it's worth when it's with us?" wonders Lata Mangeshkar who sang a majority of Madan Mohan's mind-numbing melodies.

"Madan bhaiyya - he was my rakhi brother - was enormously gifted. His ability to create tunes was like an illimitable ocean. Some of his most loved compositions, for example, Aapki nazron ne samjha, came to him in a jiffy.

"He was very, very particular about the sur and other components of the composition. During the recording of Naino mein badra chhaye for Mera Saaya, he broke the glass partition in the recording studio because a musician was playing off-key.

"That's why even today his numbers like Lag ja gale and Aaj socha to aansoon bhar aaye sound so fresh. Really, when I think of him today, there are tears in my eye. I remember when he lost the Filmfare award for his very popular score in Woh Kaun Thi, I told him he deserved it. His response was a quiet, 'Your saying so is enough'."

His career, which began in earnest in 1950 with Aankhen, was a litany of 'wows'. Critics and connoisseurs alike raved over Madan Mohan's songs. But the charts told another story. Eighty per cent of Madan Mohan's classic melodies went into 'b' and 'c' grade movies. Apart from Chetan Anand and Raj Khosla, no top notch filmmaker gave Madan Mohan a chance to compose in big-banner projects.

His son Sanjeev Kohli recalls how hurt and bitter his father would be by the lack of commercial success.

"I remember while driving for a family picnic, my brother and I were singing all the popular songs of the time like Shankar-Jaikishan's Baharon phool barsao and RD Burman's O mere sona re. He just looked into the backseat with a pained look that I'll never forget. It's sad, but despite his obvious talent he had to settle for lesser films. The biggies just went to the others."

Until his death in 1975, Madan Mohan did 104 films. The continued failure of his films and the changing environment in the industry led to depression.

Says Sanjeev: "My dad began to drink heavily. He died when he was only 51. Providentially, in 2004 I was able to trans-create his unused tunes in Veer-Zara. And I have only Yash Chopra who's my boss, guru and a surrogate father to thank for this. Today, when I hear little kids singing Aisa des hai mera, I feel my father has come alive again."

Ironically both of Madan Mohan's posthumous scores for HS Rawail's Laila Majnu and Gulzar's Mausam released in 1975 turned out to be money-spinners. The man who composed gossamer feelings dressed up as songs had arrived.

If you stop trying to make sense of it all, you'll be less confused. Reality is an illusion.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Jul 15 2005, 01:56 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
Member No.: 2035

Very interesting article......Did know about most of the facts mentioned here. But wasn't aware that he was into drinking.......Really shocking that such a great & talented composer had to die in such a tragic manner......without getting to see much commercial success.... sad1.gif

Love Music....... LOVE GK
+Quote Post
LEGENDRAFI
post Jul 16 2005, 09:09 AM
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2633

It is unfortunate to learn that Madan Mohan's compositions never got the credit they deserved. I have listened to many Madan Mohan numbers and all of them had tremendous quality and of course a lot of emotion. Listen carefully to the use of Sitar strings in his song-Aaj Socha To Aansoo Bhar Aaye- and you would feel the emotions in each one of the notes. Of course, who can forget his association with Lata Mangeshkar, the combination was a heavenly experience. Then the songs with Rafi Saab are also a treat to listen to. Madan Mohan was of course the Emporer of Gazals but then he also gave music to such popular songs as -Yun Rootho Na Haseena (Md.Rafi), Yehi Hai Tamanna (Md. Rafi), Tum Jo Mil Gaye Ho (Md.Rafi) and others as well.

I think the abundance of talent in those years, probably meant that Madan Mohan never got the limelight. All his songs that I have listened have so much soul and life that they can touch a person's heart. I think the way he was treated was more a loss to the Music industry and of course to his fans. Yet, all the songs that he composed are gems and would be treasured for eternity by his fans.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:30 AM