Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Classic Quotes

, Comedy Films (for now)

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Classic Quotes, Comedy Films (for now)
Faraaj73
post Jul 26 2009, 05:32 AM
Post #46

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 58864

The Philadelphia Story (1940)
Macaulay Connor: Doggone it, C.K. Dexter Haven. Either I'm gonna sock you or you're gonna sock me.
C. K. Dexter Haven: Shall we toss a coin?

Uncle Willie: [hung over] Awww... this is one of those days that the pages of history teach us are best spent lying in bed.

Macaulay Connor: The prettiest sight in this fine pretty world is the privileged class enjoying its privileges.

C. K. Dexter Haven: Sometimes, for your own sake, Red, I think you should've stuck to me longer.
Tracy Lord: I thought it was for life, but the nice judge gave me a full pardon.
C. K. Dexter Haven: Aaah, that's the old redhead. No bitterness, no recrimination, just a good swift left to the jaw.

C. K. Dexter Haven: Orange juice, certainly.
Tracy Lord: Don't tell me you've forsaken your beloved whisky and whiskies.
C. K. Dexter Haven: No-no-no-no. I've just changed their colour, that's all. I'm going for the pale pastel shades now. There're more becoming of me. How about you, Mr. Connor? You drink, don't you - alcohol, I mean?
Macaulay Connor: Oh, a little.
C. K. Dexter Haven: [Amused] A little? And you a writer? Tsk, tsk, tsk. I thought all writers drank to excess and beat their wives. You know, at one time I think I secretly wanted to be a writer.
[He and Tracy exchange scornful looks]

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo

There is only one better thing than music - live music. - Jacek Bukowski

I hate music, especially when it's played. - Jimmy Durante

No good opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible. - W. H. Auden
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmuk2004
post Jul 27 2009, 01:01 AM
Post #47

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 907

The Lady Eve (1941)

Cynical manhunting! biggrin.gif

Jean Harrington: You see Hopsi, you don't know very much about girls. The best ones aren't as good as you think they are and the bad ones aren't as bad. Not nearly as bad.

Jean Harrington: [while observing Charles Pike from her pocket mirror] Not good enough... I said they're not good enough for him. Every Jane in the room is giving him the thermometer and he feels they're just a waste of time. He's returning to his book, he's deeply immersed in it. He sees no one except - watch his head turn when that kid goes by. Won't do you any good, dear, he's a bookworm, but swing 'em anyway. Oh, now how about this one. How would you like that hanging on your Christmas tree? Oh you wouldn't? Well, what is your weakness, brother? Holy smoke, the dropped kerchief! That hasn't been used since Lily Langtry. You'll have to pick it up yourself, madam. It's a shame, but he doesn't care for the flesh. He'll never see it. Look at that girl over to his left. Look over to your left, bookworm. There's a girl pining for ya. A little further. Just a little further... There! Wasn't that worth looking for? See those nice store teeth all beaming at you. Oh, she recognizes you! She's up, she's down, she can't make up her mind. She's up again. She recognizes you! She's coming over to speak to you. The suspense is killing me. "Why, for heaven's sake, aren't you Fuzzy Oathammer I went to manual training school with in Louisville? Oh you're not? Well, you certainly look exactly like him, it's certainly a remarkable resemblance... But if you're not going to ask me to sit down, I suppose you're not going to ask me to sit down... I'm very sorry, I certainly hope I haven't caused you any embarrassment, you so and so." "I wonder if my tie's on straight. I certainly upset them, don't I? Now who else is after me?" Ah, the lady champion wrestler, wouldn't she make a houseful? Oh, you don't like her either. Well, what are you going to do about her? Oh, you just can't stand it anymore, you're leaving. These women don't give you a moment's peace, do they? Well, go ahead! Go sulk in your cabin. Go soak your head and see if I care!

Charles Pike: You're certainly a funny girl for anybody to meet who's just been up the Amazon for a year.
Jean Harrington: Good thing you weren't up there two years.

Charles Pike: I'm married.
Jean Harrington: But so am I, darling. So am I.

Steward: Six more Pike's Pale. Make it snappy.
Ship's Bartender: What are you trying to do, embarrass me? We're all out of Pike's Pale. Work 'em over to something else!
Steward,: They don't want nothing else. They want "the Ale that won for Yale." Rah, rah, rah.
Ship's Bartender: Well, tell 'em to go to Harvard.

Charles Pike: Now you, on the other hand, with a little coaching you could be terrific
Jean Harrington: Do you really think so?
Charles Pike: Yes, you have a definite nose.
Jean Harrington: I'm glad you like it. Do you like any of the rest of me?

Jean Harrington: What were you doing up the Amazon?
Charles Pike: Looking for snakes. I'm an ophiologist.
Jean Harrington: I thought you were in the beer business.
Charles Pike: Beer? *Ale!*
Jean Harrington: What's the difference?
Charles Pike: Between beer and ale?
Jean Harrington: Yes.
Charles Pike: My father'd burst a blood vessel if he heard you say that. There's a big difference. Ale's sort of fermented on the top or something, and beer's fermented on the bottom, or maybe it's the other way around. There's no similarity at all. You see, the trouble with being descended from a brewer, no matter how long ago he brewered, or whatever you call it, you're supposed to know all about something you don't give a hoot about.

Charles Pike: What I am trying to say is: I'm not a poet, I'm an ophiologist.

Jean Harrington: They say a moonlit deck is a woman's business office.

Jean Harrington: I need him like the ax needs the turkey.

This post has been edited by mmuk2004: Jul 27 2009, 01:06 AM

"This isn't right, this isn't even wrong."
Wolfgang Pauli (1900-1958)

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

+Quote Post
mmuk2004
post Jul 27 2009, 01:04 AM
Post #48

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Jul 25 2009, 06:52 PM) *

Some Cary Grant classics...

His Girl Friday (1940)
Hildy Johnson: I suppose I proposed to you?
Walter Burns: Well, you practically did, making goo-goo eyes at me for two years until I broke down.
[impersonates Hildy, flutters his eyelashes]
Walter Burns: "Oh, Walter." And I still claim I was tight the night I proposed to you. If you had been a gentleman, you would have forgotten all about it. But not you!
Hildy Johnson: [hurls her purse at him] Why, you - !
Walter Burns: [ducks and her purse barely misses him] You're losing your aim. You used to be able to pitch better than that.

Walter Burns: Look, Hildy, I only acted like any husband that didn't want to see his home broken up.
Hildy Johnson: What home?
Walter Burns: What home! Don't you remember the home I promised you?

Walter Burns: Sorta wish you hadn't done that, Hildy.
Hildy Johnson: Done what?
Walter Burns: Divorced me. Makes a fella lose all faith in himself. Gives him a... almost gives him a feeling he wasn't wanted.
Hildy Johnson: Oh, now look, junior... that's what divorces are FOR!

Had thoroughly enjoyed those crackling repartees in the movie... whatever I could catch tongue1.gif

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jul 27 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #49

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Jul 27 2009, 05:31 AM) *

The Lady Eve (1941)

Preston Sturges was a brilliant man - arguably even a genius. But there is a thin line between genius and madness. At one time the highest paid writer in Hollywood with full power over the final cut on his films, he died penniless and unable to get any job in the movie business....

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo

No good opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible. - W. H. Auden
+Quote Post
Marcilo
post Jul 27 2009, 09:08 PM
Post #50

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 309

QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Jul 24 2009, 05:51 AM) *

QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Jul 24 2009, 01:41 PM) *

Nahin Re,

IMDB zindabad. tongue1.gif

Aaw come on Madhavi! We could have had so much fun with him for 2-3 days! You'll never be a good poker player!!! laugh.gif

doh.gif doh.gif

I was over at Sam's yesterdays I picked up copy of something about marry, laugh.gif its been a while since i saw that. laugh.gif

- Just another gummy bear fan
+Quote Post
mmuk2004
post Jul 29 2009, 12:15 AM
Post #51

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Have not seen that one. Saw Pink Panther 2 over the weekend. Okay Steve Martin is not Peter Sellers but he is still funny with "un"-politically correct "My little yellow friend" etc etc. You have to see the movie in the right mood to enjoy the slapstick moments. Enjoyed even the over-the-top Pope moments. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by mmuk2004: Jul 29 2009, 03:43 AM

+Quote Post
Marcilo
post Jul 29 2009, 02:52 AM
Post #52

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(mmuk2004 @ Jul 28 2009, 02:45 PM) *

Have not seen that one. Saw Pink Panther 2 over the weekend. Okay Steve Martin is not Peter Sellers but he is still funny with "un"-politically correct "My little yellow friend". You have to see the movie in the right mood to enjoy the slapstick moments. Enjoyed even the over-the-top Pope moments. biggrin.gif

You not seen something about Marry?? dekho dekho

Yes PP2 is funny but Sellers is Sellers... he was natural.

+Quote Post
simplefable
post Jul 29 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #53

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 20340

While we are on Cary Grant...i found recently , a beautiful film of his.." people will talk". Though the film is disguised as a comedy and has some of the finest lines capable of splitting our stomachs...the underlying philosophy and the characters will stay for ever..One of the finest in my view.
Here are a few repartee from that film...courtesy IMDB.. wink.gif

IPB Image

Doctor Noah Praetorius( Cary Grant ): How old were you when you learned to walk?
Arthur Higgins: I could get around alright at four.
Doctor Noah Praetorius: And how old were you when you left the farm?
Arthur Higgins: Sixteen.
Doctor Noah Praetorius: Surely it didn't take you twelve years to make up your mind!

Doctor Noah Praetorius: Professor Elwell, you are the only man I know who can say 'malignant' the way other people say 'Bingo!'.

Doctor Noah Praetorius: I consider faith properly injected into a patient as effective in maintaining life as Adrenaline, and a belief in miracles has been the difference between living and dying as often as any surgeon's scalpel.

Professor Barker: Elwell, you can use more words more unpleasantly than any irritating little pipsqueak I've ever known!

Shunderson: Professor Elwell, you're a little man. It's not that you're short. You're...little, in the mind and in the heart. Tonight, you tried to make a man little whose boots you couldn't touch if you stood on tiptoe on top of the highest mountain in the world. And as it turned out...you're even littler than you were before.

After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
Aldous Huxley

"Waqt ne kiya...Kya haseen sitm...Tum rahe na tum..Hum rahe na hum.."

geetadutt

noorjehan

shamshadbegum

Anmol Fankaar
+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jul 29 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #54

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

The Party (1968)
C. S. Divot: Who do you think you are?
Hrundi V. Bakshi: In India, we don't think who we are. We know who we are.

Hrundi V. Bakshi: Birdie Num Num

Director: You.
Hrundi V. Bakshi: Me?
Director: Yes, you. Get off of my set, and out of my picture. Off, off! You're washed up, you're finished! I'll see to it that you never make another movie again!
Hrundi V. Bakshi: Does that include television, sir?

Levinson: [Comes in with a plate of hors d'oeuvres with Hrundi's shoe on top of it] Would you care for some hors-d'oeuvres sir?
Hrundi V. Bakshi: Well I am on a diet, but to hell with it! [Takes his shoe]

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jul 29 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #55

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

What's New Pussycat (1965)
Carole Werner: You got something to eat?
Victor Skakapopulis: [Looking around his messy kitchen] Some, uh, some fig-newtons and some hershey bars and some cough drops
Carole Werner: You got any tuna fish?
Victor Skakapopulis: [Searching cupboard] Tunafish... Tunafish... I have some salmon salad left
Carole Werner: What do you mean, left? When did you make it?
Victor Skakapopulis: In April but if you smother it with pepper it's fine.

Liz Bien: You're right. I must face my problems. I can't go through life being a semi-virgin.
Michael James: What, in the name of all that is gracious, is a semi-virgin?
Liz Bien: Here, I'm a virgin. In America, I'm not.
Michael James: What do they do? Stamp it on your passport?

Michael James: Did you find a job?
Victor Skakapopulis: Yeah, I got something at the striptease. I help the girls dress and undress.
Michael James: Nice job?
Victor Skakapopulis: Twenty francs a week.
Michael James: Not very much.
Victor Skakapopulis: It's all I can afford.

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
Marcilo
post Jul 29 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #56

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Hrundi V. Bakshi: Birdie Num Num

This one is classic laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Aug 27 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #57

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Spies Like Us (1985)
[Surrounded by Ninja warriors]
Emmett Fitz-Hume: Alright. Stop right there... and I'll bring back the sun. Okay...
[Shows a picture from his wallet]
Emmett Fitz-Hume: This is my sister. You can all have her. I hear she's very good.

European Vacation (1985)
Stewardess: Can I get you anything to drink?
Clark Griswold: Honey? I guess I'll have a Coke.
Stewardess: Do you want that in the can?
Clark Griswold: No, I'll have it right here.

Foul Play (1978)
[giving Gloria a rape alarm, a can of MACE and a knuckleduster]
Stella: Take these. Without them, you are a walking light-bulb... waiting to be screwed.

[Ethel and Elsie are playing Scrabble. Ethel has just put down the letters "-ucker", to which Elsie has added "muther-"]
Ethel: Wait, Elsie. I think you're wrong. I think you spell that word with a hyphen.

Fletch (1985)
[to Gail Stanwyck, who answers the door wearing a towel]
Fletch: Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

Gail Stanwyck: She looks like a hooker. Look at her. Look at her! Could you love someone who looked like that?
Fletch: What are you talking about? Of course not! Five, ten minutes tops, maybe.

[During a proctological exam]
Fletch: You using the whole fist, Doc?

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:18 PM