Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hasrat Jaipuri

, biography

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hasrat Jaipuri, biography
Jay
post Jun 5 2005, 09:33 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 995

HASRAT JAIPURI
Hasrat Jaipuri's real name was Iqbal Husain. Till 1939, he lived in hometown Jaipur where he studied English till 'medium level' and then acquired his 'taalim' in Urdu and Persian from his learned grandfather, Fida Husain. He began writing verse as late as the age of 20, and around that time, he fell in love with a neighborhood girl called Radha. “Love knows no mazhab or dharam,” he told me. “It is not at all necessary that a Muslim boy must fall in love only with a Muslim girl. My love was silent, but I wrote a poem for her, `Yeh mera prem patra padh kar, ke tum naaraaz na hona.’” And that 'letter' may never have been delivered to Radha, but Raj Kapoor was to later deliver it to the world as the perennial mantra for lovers of all generations in his Sangam (1964).

In Mumbai, Hasrat Jaipuri took the secure job of a bus conductor and satiated his creative urges by participating in mushairas. The late Prithviraj Kapoor heard his verse and recommended him to his son Raj Kapoor who was planning a musical love story with two new composers, Shanker - Jaikishan. "We met at the canteen of the Royal Opera House where Prithvirajji used to stage his plays, and Rajji signed me for Barsaat. My first recorded song was "Jiya beqaraar hai" tuned by Shanker. The second was "Chhod gaye baalam", my first song with Jaikishan, and my first duet.”

This association continued till 1971. “After Jai's death and the failures of Mera Naam Joker and Kal Aaj Aur Kal, Rajsaab changed his music team. I was happy that he left us to go to the only other great team in our films - Laxmikant Pyarelal and Anand Bakshi. But he wanted to call me back for Prem Rog. That did not work out because someone recommended Amir Qazalbash to Rajsaab. But I was back with "Sun sahiba sun" which Rajsaab told me to write to one of his own tunes which he had used as the English song "I love you" in Sangam. He then called me for three songs for Henna, but after Rajsaab's death, the music director conspired to scrap them and replace them with his own lyrics.” This was the only time I found Hasrat Jaipuri bitter: “They were my last link with Raj Kapoor and RK,” he said, his voice brimming with a queer mix of anger, grief and resignation.

The eternal realist, Hasrat Jaipuri told me how lucky he was to have married a woman who advised him to invest his earnings in property. “Today, the rents that come in from my tenants keep me comfortable so that I am not forced to work for my rozi-roti and my family. I accept assignments that are offered and don't have to run after films, music directors and music companies for work. I am very proud of my children - two sons and a daughter - but the art of poetry is God-gifted and cannot be learnt, and they have not been gifted with it.”

He won innumerable awards, honours and mementos. Among them were two Filmfare trophies (for `Baharon phool barsao’ from Suraj and `Zindagi ek safar hai suhana’ from Andaz) and two awards - the Doctorate from the World University Round-Table and the Josh Mahilabadi award from the Urdu Conference for his literary work as a poet. Also the Dr Ambedkar award for a film song, `Jhanak jhanak tori baaje payaliya’ from Mere Huzoor, which was written with a blend of Hindi and Brij Bhasha. Apropos that, the poet once said, "Hindi and Urdu are like two great and inseparable sisters. Even my books on poetry are in Hindi as well as Urdu." His latest published compilation was "Abshaar-E-Ghazal."

About 350 films and 2000 recorded songs old, Hasrat Jaipuri's last releases were Saazish with Jatin-Lalit and Sher Khan (with Bappi Lahiri) last year, and at the time of his death he was working on a few small films and a book of shaayari. “I never discriminated between small and big films and composers. I have the biggest list of music directors among any lyricist - from SJ and Sajjad down to Anand-Milind, Nadeem-Shravan and Jatin-Lalit,” says the man who was master of romance even amidst his versatility. And without being arrogant about it, Hasrat Jaipuri did realize his own worth. 'Humne who naqsh chhod hai that mywork will always be remembered even after I have gone,”he told me once with the honest precision of a scientist stating a proven fact. And even if you consider only the crème-de-la-crème of his work, like "Zindagi ek safar hai suhana" (Andaz), "Teri pyari pyari soorat ko" (Sasural), "Pankh hote to ud aati re" (Sehra), "Tere khayalon meinhum" (Geet Gaya Pattharon Ne), " Tu kahan yeh bataa" (Tere Ghar KeSaamne), "Muhabbat aisi dhadkan hai" (Anarkali), "Tu mere saamne hai,teri zulfein hai khuli" (Suhagan), "Nain se nain" (Jhanak Jhanak Paayal Baaje), "Ehsan tera hoga mujh par" (Junglee), "Teri zulfon se" (Jab PyarKisise Hota Hai) and "Tum mujhe yoon bhula na paaoge" (Pagla Kahin Ka) and add a whole range of songs like "Sayonara sayonara" (Love In Tokyo)," Aao twist karen" (Bhoot Bungla)." Ajhoon na aaye baalma" (Sanjh AurSavera) and "Duniya bananewale" (from his friend and closest associate Shailendra's production Teesri Kasam), one cannot but accept that the maestro was right. As he wrote once, "Tum mujhe yoon bhula na paaoge/ Jab kabhi bhi sunogegeet mere/ Sang sang tum bhi gungunaaoge/ Haan, tum mujhe yoon bhula na paaoge."

http://www.urdupoetry.com/profile/hjaipuri.html

Awards
Award Contribution
Filmfare Award - 1966 Baharon Phool Barsaao - Sooraj
Doctorate Award World University Round Table
Josh Mahilabadi Award Urdu Conference
Dr Ambedkar Award Jhanak jhanak tori baaje payaliya - Mere Huzoor

The All Time Hits of Hasrat Jaipuri
Song Movie
Zindagi ek safar hai suhana Andaaz
Teri pyari pyari soorat ko Sasural
Tu kahan yeh bataa Tere ghar ke saamne
Yeh zindagi ussi ki hai Anarkali
Ehsan tera hoga mujh par Junglee
Teri zulfon se Jab pyaar kissise hota hai
Aao twist karen Bhoot Bungla
Ajhoon na aaye baalma Sanjh aur Savera
Duniya bananewale Teesri Kasam
Sun Sahiba Sun Ram teri Ganga Maili
Sau Saal Pehle Jab Pyar kissi se hota hai
Sayonara sayonara Love in Tokyo
Tu mere saamne hai Suhagaan
Nain se nain Jhanak Jhanak Paayal Baaje
Pankh hote to ud aati re Sehra
Tere khayalon mein hum Geet Gaya Pattharon Ne
Tum mujhe yoon bhula na paaoge Pagla kahi ka

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
Life is music, music is life...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bawlachintu
post Jan 14 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 743

Good info Jay Baboo

Ghulam Ali sang few ghazals written by Hasrat. Ghazals featured in an album

'Moods and emotions'. It was released by Venus around 1990

Here is the best singer of universe

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw ."

+Quote Post
Jay
post Sep 18 2006, 09:08 AM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Great info Chintu ji! What was the age Hasrat ji died? I guess he was verryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy old

+Quote Post
Nimii
post Sep 18 2006, 09:36 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Jay he was born in 1918 and died in 1999.

N
+Quote Post
Jay
post Sep 18 2006, 09:48 AM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Yes nimii, according 2 this website: http://www.answers.com/topic/hasrat-jaipuri, was he 81 when he died. But if you compare him with Anand Bakshi and Majrooh Sultanpuri, they also died at the age of 81, Hasrat ji was looking more 91 (with all respect offcourse). A couple of years ago I saw an interview with Hasrat ji on ZEE TV, and he was looking very very old, he was almost blind I guess, his eyes were almost closed. I know nobody can answer it, but i was just thinking en wondering. In that interview he was telling that Shailendra is the best lyrcist ever! he said 'Us mein koi bahes karne ki baat nahin hai!'. This man was good, fabilous in urdu! thnx Nimii!

+Quote Post
Nimii
post Sep 18 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Sigh! May be aged faster than others of his age group mellow.gif
+Quote Post
Jay
post Sep 18 2006, 10:01 AM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Ho sakta hai Nimii, every human being is different na. But do not always believe the websites. one website mentioned that Anand Bakshi was 71 when he died. But it is 81.

As you would said: Sigh! tongue1.gif

+Quote Post
Nimii
post Sep 18 2006, 10:59 AM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Ab to we will have to check the birth and death registers to get the right info then headbang.gif

Ailaa in those days to get a seat in school they did change the DOB ab aisa hoto kya karenge ohmy.gif
+Quote Post
Jay
post Sep 25 2006, 06:30 AM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

LOL! tongue1.gif go Nimii tongue1.gif

+Quote Post
princeali
post Sep 25 2006, 09:21 AM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 134

HJ was one of the best lyric writers of all time. For me, there is no better writer when it comes to romantic songs, no one could match him in this aspect. He had a natural talent in writing for this genre. Even his non-romantic songs were excellent, beautiful writing.

Prince Ali
+Quote Post
Jay
post Sep 26 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Indeed Ali bhai u are right! He was good, no doubt about that.

+Quote Post
nasir
post Sep 26 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 5763

QUOTE(princeali @ Sep 25 2006, 09:21 AM) *

HJ was one of the best lyric writers of all time. For me, there is no better writer when it comes to romantic songs, no one could match him in this aspect. He had a natural talent in writing for this genre. Even his non-romantic songs were excellent, beautiful writing.

Truly said Prince Ali.
When he talked romance oozed from his words and like flowers they spread fragrance. I can't forget his TV interview about his songs and experience and life ever. Till his last days, he cherished the memories of a young girl who had come to the terrace. THIS IS ROMANCE MAN - romance flowing through his veins too.

NASIR.

NASIR
Teri Khushi me.n Khush Tera banda khidmatgaar hai,
Banda hoo.n mai.n Tera Tuu mera Parwardigaar hai
+Quote Post
princeali
post Sep 27 2006, 01:31 AM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 134

Very well said Nasir bhai !!

Look at some of the words he used when writing romantic songs:

Chashme Badhoor
Gulbadan
Shah-e-Khuban
Nargis-e-Mastana
Chand Ki Zebayee

He wrote one of the top most romantic songs ever, Yeh Mera Prem Patra Pad Kar (Sangam)

Prince Ali
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:55 AM