Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Famous Songs & Their Inspiration

, Original song & later better-known version

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Famous Songs & Their Inspiration, Original song & later better-known version
Faraaj73
post Nov 29 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #16

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 58864

Aashiyan Jal Gaya, Gulsitan Lut Gaya by Habib Wali Mohammad was one of the biggest hits of its time and played on TV for years afterwards. It was sung in a film (whose name I forget) starring Nadeem and is still an immediately recognisable song - in Pakistan at least. Its certainly well sung and its difficult to imagine it being inspired by an Anil Biswas composed duet more than two decades earlier. Both songs are 128 kbps/mp3 and details are in the file name.

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo

There is only one better thing than music - live music. - Jacek Bukowski

I hate music, especially when it's played. - Jimmy Durante

No good opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible. - W. H. Auden
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Nov 29 2008, 10:32 AM
Post #17

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

I have a sinking feeling Pag Ghungroo Bandh Meera Nachi will always be associated with the angry young man Amitabh's comic turn in Namak Halal playbacked by Kishore. I'm uploading the original Juthika Roy song - probably mid 40s. It is said that Jawaharlal Nehru was a great fan of Juthika Roy and after his inauguration when he was driving back to the PM house, he had a special request sent to her to continue singing on the radio till he reaches the PM house.

Again only low bit-rate was available. I'm not uploading the Kishore version - you can probably hear it blaring at the local pan-shop!

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo

No good opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible. - W. H. Auden
+Quote Post
RajanCS
post Nov 29 2008, 06:36 PM
Post #18

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 53432

Faraajbhai,

This is an excellent thread started by you. Look forward to knowing more such combinations.

Regards,

Rajan
+Quote Post
frangipani
post Nov 30 2008, 06:10 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 56740

This has been a very enriching experience, looking forward to more. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Amalesh
post Nov 30 2008, 07:42 AM
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 31962

Simply Awesome.....Faraaj ji..!!!

नक्श फरियादी है किसकी शोखी-ए-तहरीर का
कागजी है पैराहन हर पैकर-ए-तस्वीर का।
+Quote Post
abhayp
post Nov 30 2008, 12:18 PM
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 335

QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Nov 29 2008, 10:23 AM) *

Aashiyan Jal Gaya, Gulsitan Lut Gaya by Habib Wali Mohammad was one of the biggest hits of its time and played on TV for years afterwards. It was sung in a film (whose name I forget) starring Nadeem and is still an immediately recognisable song - in Pakistan at least. Its certainly well sung and its difficult to imagine it being inspired by an Anil Biswas composed duet more than two decades earlier. Both songs are 128 kbps/mp3 and details are in the file name.
Kind Regards
Faraaj

The credits for the Habib Wali Mohammed song:

Film: Baazi (1970)
MD: Sohail Rana
Ly: Raaz Illahabadi

Sources: http://www.pakistanimusic.com/articles/soh...ngsonmusic.html and the Wikipedia page on Habib Wali Mohammed.

Thanks a ton for the song - it *is* a lovely song indeed. A rare case of an inspired song sounding as good as the original!

Warm regards,
Abhay
+Quote Post
abhayp
post Nov 30 2008, 01:07 PM
Post #22

Group Icon

A few months ago, I had put together a list of around 20 Hindi film songs that were inspired by traditional and/or well-known compositions from the classical/semi-classical fold. (One of them was the pair I uploaded earlier on another thread - Lata singing "sakal ban gagan" as part of the 'Mamta' ragamala and Jasraj singing the same composition as a classical bandish). I have long had in mind a thread to put together these songs, but paucity of time (not to mention laziness!) got in the way of this thread as well as a long-in-the-planning thread on Rajkumari.

Seeing this thread by Faraaj inspired to start doing something about actually putting up the songs. I can't promise to upload all 20 in a specific time span but I will keep putting them up over the next 15-20 days.

I am not starting a separate thread for these songs but must put in a caveat: Faraaj's tagline "Original song & later better-known version" may not really fit all the song pairs (and some trios) that I am putting up; in some cases, the original may still be better known.

Starting the uploads from the my next post below.

Warm regards,
Abhay
+Quote Post
abhayp
post Nov 30 2008, 01:07 PM
Post #23

Group Icon

Naushad was always proud of the Hindustani classical base (and, often, folk music base) of a lot of his music. Some of these songs are not just raaga-based but are adaptations of traditional classical/semi-classical compositions. Earlier in this thread, Faraaj has brought up the song "mohe panaghaT pe nandalaal chhe.D gayo re" as one example. We find another example in the 1955 film "Udan Khatola", where Naushad and Shakeel take up a traditional "Kajri" (a semi-classical form) and come up with the Lata beauty, "more sai.nyaa.Njii utare.nge paar ho nadiyaa dhiire baho".

The original kajri has been sung by many people, although recorded versions are few. I have chosen my favourite rendition of the kajri by the noted Hindustani classical singer, Padmavati Shaligram (aka Padmavati Gokhale). It is taken from a recording of a live concert. In this thread, I am only uploading a small extract (2:34 minutes, encoded in mp3 at 128 kbps) of the original recording (18:16 minutes). [For those who would like to have the entire piece, I am uploading it separately on the Raag Rang forum. There is also an Iqbal Bano rendition of the kajri available on youtube - the audio quality is not great, but it is an interesting addition to the renditions of this song.]

Although the base of the "Udan Khatola" song is clearly the kajri, Naushad gives the song a completely different ambience through the use of a backing chorus, used very skillfully as a part of the orchestration. Add Lata Mangeshkar at the peak of her powers, and the magic is complete. I have chosen to upload here the longer version of this song from the film as the shorter record version is quite easily available. This version is 5:07 minutes long and is encoded in mp3 at 128 kbps.

The full kajri can be found at

http://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?showtopic=66378#

Warm regards,
Abhay

This post has been edited by abhayp: Nov 30 2008, 04:13 PM
+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Nov 30 2008, 01:58 PM
Post #24

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(abhayp @ Nov 30 2008, 06:37 PM) *

Seeing this thread by Faraaj inspired to start doing something about actually putting up the songs. I can't promise to upload all 20 in a specific time span but I will keep putting them up over the next 15-20 days.

I am not starting a separate thread for these songs but must put in a caveat: Faraaj's tagline "Original song & later better-known version" may not really fit all the song pairs (and some trios) that I am putting up; in some cases, the original may still be better known.

Warm regards,
Abhay

Abhay Saab

Its great to see you contributing!

I'm hearing More Saiyan by Padmavati Shaligram right now. Very nice... I think I'll go for the full version on Raag Rang. Do you know the approximate era of this rendition?

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
abhayp
post Nov 30 2008, 04:15 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Nov 30 2008, 01:58 PM) *

I'm hearing More Saiyan by Padmavati Shaligram right now. Very nice... I think I'll go for the full version on Raag Rang. Do you know the approximate era of this rendition?

The full kajri is now uploaded on Raag Rang. Have amended my post above to give the relevant link.

Re. the era of the recording, I remember that this concert was sometime in the 1960s. I also had a much older rendition of this by either Rasoolan Bai or Badi Moti Bai - don't remember right now; will need to track it down.

Warm regards,
Abhay
+Quote Post
venkat
post Nov 30 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #26

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6841

QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Nov 29 2008, 10:23 AM) *

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Excellent finding, Sir. smile.gif

The Pakistani song was clearly inspired by the Fareb-1953 song. Of course, while the Mukhdas are almost identical in tune, the Antaras are very slightly varied.

Venkat

I have changed many views in life since my childhood, but not my view of Rafi Saab as the God-sent Gandharva who visited this Earth briefly to spread ultimate ecstasy among genuine music-lovers!

Mohammed Rafi: Highest Quantity Of Greatest Quality In Mind-boggling Variety!!!
+Quote Post
venkat
post Nov 30 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #27

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6841

I have run a thread earlier dedicated to pairs of Rafi songs that are identical in tune both on Mukhda and the Antara. That is, pairs of Rafi songs that are almost identical in tune in the complete songs, not just similar in parts!

Here is the link.

https://www.hamaraforums.com/index.php?show...9011&st=105

Venkat

I have changed many views in life since my childhood, but not my view of Rafi Saab as the God-sent Gandharva who visited this Earth briefly to spread ultimate ecstasy among genuine music-lovers!

Mohammed Rafi: Highest Quantity Of Greatest Quality In Mind-boggling Variety!!!
+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Dec 1 2008, 01:11 PM
Post #28

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Here are two more songs sung by Pankaj Mullick and Mukesh. The more famous one from Kapal Kundla (1939) was sung by Pankaj Mullick - Piya Milan Ko Jana in mp3/205 kbps.

It inspired Mukesh's non-filmi Gokul Nagri Jana (hear how he pronounces Jana!) which is mp3/192 kbps. I read that Gokul Nagri Jana is Mukesh's oldest available recording (circa 1940) but haven't been able to reconfirm that.

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
Yadavagiri5
post Dec 2 2008, 07:14 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

Member No.: 33641

This is a wonderful thread. But, I am not quite sure what Faraaj73 meant by "Inspiration". Does it have to be from a different source? In the following example, the Kishore song follows the Burman song very closely. But both were composed by S.D.Burman. Does the second song qualify as the inspiration for the first? If it does, fine, otherwise, let me know. I will withdraw them.

Song: Dheere Se Jaanaa Katiyan

Movie: Chhupaa Rustham

Singer: Kishore

Music: S.D.Burman

Year: 1973

Format: mp3

Bit Rate: 128

Duration: 3:54

My rating of Music: 8/10

Song: Dheere Se Jaanaa

Movie: None

Singer: S.D.Burman

Music: S.D.Burman

Year:

Format: mp3

Bit Rate: 128

Duration: 3:07

My rating of Music: 8/10
+Quote Post
Devje
post Dec 2 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #30

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 15463

Here are another couple of songs :

ham bhool gaye har baat - Naseem Begum- A. Hameed -Fyaz Hashmi -Saheli - 1960

ham bhool gaye re har baat - Lata Mangeshkar - Vedpal Verma -Saawan Kumar -Souten Ki Beti 1989

Devji
+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:56 PM