Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Movies That Touched Me...

, Baran.....A film that transports us !!

> Movies That Touched Me..., Baran.....A film that transports us !!
simplefable
post Nov 14 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 20340

Though i am indeed a movie buff, i was never serious about reading reviews..or following it up. I just went around randomly in the movie world, like a child lost in a library. I started seeing other foreign language films too like french, spanish, german and other asian countries. Some of them are not worth sitting through and some, i found , made me sit up and watch. I just want to write something about them here, to share my thoughts about those wonderful films. Though Madhavi did ask me to write down about movies i like, i shied away thinking that i might never fit into the world of her reviews.. I found her extremely knowledgeable and her description of a movie is always much better than any review in papers. But I got this urge to write up about some of them, and if i can make atleast one person to see a movie basing on review, i think I made it.
Today, i watched a German film.. Leben der Anderen, Das , released in USA as The lives of others. It moved me so much i thought i should write a few lines about the film.
The scenery is set in East Germany in eighties, before the fall of the wall. As every one knows, there were serious restrictions on all media in that country under the communist regime. We can never imagine that world of totally curbed fundamental rights. The people perpetually live in fear of Stasi, the state security police, who are akin to Gestapo of Nazi germany.
The story revolves around three characters..the author...Georg Dreyman, His Girl friend and superb Actress Christa..and the officer assigned to cover their lives and activities Gerd Wiesler.
Georg is under suspicion that he might be involved in aiding anti state activities and the Corrupt minister orders an enquiry into his activities. Wiesler supervises the team which fixes the mikes all over the home of Georg and sits in the control room in a twelve hour shift to monitor every word spoken between those four walls. Wiesler is supposed to be the best man in the business and hence the critical role assigned to him.
Christa is one of the best actors in the Country but her existence is threatened by the minister who is totally besotted with her.
Though Georg is initially neutral, the suicide of his close friend and a brilliant director moves him beyond any reproach as he starts to aid the anti state activists. His writings make the head lines on the other side of wall, as he narrates how many artists have committed suicide in East Germany. Though he is not credited for that works, for obvious reasons, he becomes suspect numero uno in the eyes of Stasi. The Minister too, piqued by Christa's denial, orders her arrest on flimsy reasons. She is given a choice of becoming a state evidence in revealing the culprit's name.
In this tense, surreal world of honest truth and love and loyalty and harsh realty, the most surprising element turns out to be the Prosecutor Wiesler himself.
How far can one go for a cause? One he believes in, he trusts is correct and finds it so fulfilling to stick to it, inspite of dire consequences ? this is to be seen on this beautiful film....I just could never get off my seat for the entire length of time i watched this film. The ending obviously moves us beyond words, so poignant as it can be, as films wrought a magic on us like nothing ever could. Trust you find this somewhere in a stores near by......or else, i am always willing to give the rapidshare links to this film.

Attached Image

Weisler...the Captain of Stasi

Attached Image

Georg and Christa...the people under microscope

Attached Image

This post has been edited by simplefable: May 10 2010, 11:04 AM

After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
Aldous Huxley

"Waqt ne kiya...Kya haseen sitm...Tum rahe na tum..Hum rahe na hum.."

geetadutt

noorjehan

shamshadbegum

Anmol Fankaar
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
simplefable   Movies That Touched Me...   Nov 14 2007, 11:44 PM
mmuk2004   Wow, thanks SF, for such a detailed analysis of th...   Nov 17 2007, 12:13 AM
simplefable   Thanks Madhavi for the appreciation .. :smile: ...   Nov 17 2007, 07:18 AM
humble_rafi   I am looking for its torrent.I need to see it mate...   Nov 17 2007, 10:17 AM
simplefable   HR...I am sure that you wont be disappointed after...   Nov 17 2007, 06:46 PM
humble_rafi   Thanks alot Simplefable Ji, You are star!   Nov 19 2007, 10:33 AM
Reeth   Though i am indeed a movie buff, i was never seri...   Nov 20 2007, 03:00 PM
humble_rafi   Simplefable Ji could you send me the torrent link ...   Nov 27 2007, 09:03 PM
simplefable   HR...it is a 700 mb, dvd rip. I am sending the rap...   Nov 27 2007, 09:33 PM
humble_rafi   Simplefable Ji you are simply fantastic. Thanks a...   Nov 28 2007, 09:24 AM
simplefable   http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Lars_...   Jul 28 2008, 11:21 PM
simplefable   Today i watched a beautiful film. To be frank, tha...   Nov 8 2008, 04:07 PM
simplefable   http://kinoscope.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/s1314...   Mar 31 2010, 07:26 PM
Faraaj73   http://kinoscope.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/s131...   Apr 1 2010, 02:59 PM
Sharmila-Sweet   I finally managed to see Evelyn on TV last week, a...   Apr 1 2010, 12:59 PM
simplefable   SS...thankyou for the nice words. they keep me goi...   Apr 2 2010, 11:07 AM
Bhavita   I loved Colours of Paradise. Baran is a must see...   Apr 3 2010, 06:19 PM
simplefable   Bhavita..trust me. These films are going to be the...   Apr 3 2010, 06:24 PM
simplefable   [size=5]BARAN..............Majid Majidi film ..Ira...   May 9 2010, 11:33 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:45 AM