Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Classic Quotes

, Comedy Films (for now)

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Classic Quotes, Comedy Films (for now)
Faraaj73
post Jun 12 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 58864

Add your favourite film noir quotes here. Once we've exhausted the noir genre, I'll change the Topic Description to something else - probably comedy. A good place to start a discussion on noir is Double Indemnity.

Double Indemnity (1944)
[last lines]
Walter Neff: Know why you couldn't figure this one, Keyes? I'll tell ya. 'Cause the guy you were looking for was too close. Right across the desk from ya.
Barton Keyes: Closer than that, Walter.
Walter Neff: I love you, too.

Kind of reminds me of another classic noir's closing:
[last lines]
Rick: Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship

This post has been edited by Faraaj73: Jul 13 2009, 03:05 PM

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo

There is only one better thing than music - live music. - Jacek Bukowski

I hate music, especially when it's played. - Jimmy Durante

No good opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible. - W. H. Auden
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jun 12 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Out of the Past (1947)
Jeff Bailey: You can never help anything, can you? You're like a leaf that the wind blows from one gutter to another.
Kathie Moffat: Can't you even feel sorry for me?
Jeff Bailey: I'm not going to try.
Kathie Moffat: Jeff...
Jeff Bailey: Just get out, will you? I have to sleep in this room.

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo

No good opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible. - W. H. Auden
+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jun 12 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

The Big Sleep (1946)
Vivian: I don't like your manners.
Marlowe: And I'm not crazy about yours. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings. I don't mind your ritzing me drinking your lunch out of a bottle. But don't waste your time trying to cross-examine me.

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jun 17 2009, 02:35 PM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Casablanca (1942)
Annina: Monsieur Rick, what kind of a man is Captain Renault?
Rick: Oh, he's just like any other man, only more so.

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jun 17 2009, 02:45 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

In a Lonely Place (1950)
Dixon Steele: I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me.

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jun 17 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

To Have and Have Not (1944)
Slim: Who was the girl, Steve?
Steve: Who was what girl?
Slim: The one who left you with such a high opinion of women

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jun 17 2009, 02:48 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Wilmer Cook: Keep on riding me and they're gonna be picking iron out of your liver.
Sam Spade: The cheaper the crook, the gaudier the patter, eh?

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jun 21 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Detour (1945)
Al Roberts: That's life. Whichever way you turn, Fate sticks out a foot to trip you.

Al Roberts: [as narrator] As I drove off, it was still raining and the drops streaked down the windshield like tears.

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jun 21 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Nightmare Alley (1947)
Carny #1: How can a guy sink so low?
Carny #2: He reached too high...

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jun 21 2009, 11:56 AM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

The Killers (1946)
Jim Reardon: How well did you know the Swede?
Charleston: Me? Mister, I guess me and the Swede were about as close as two guys can get. For nearly two years we weren't more than eight and a half feet apart. That's how big the cell was.

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
mmuk2004
post Jun 21 2009, 11:31 PM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 907

Keep on adding them. Wonderful, am reviving all my memories of those scenes. Great beginning, nothing so luscious as the dark, fatalistic dialogues of those noirs...

The Lady from Shanghai (1945)

Arthur Bannister: So money doesn't interest you, are you independently wealthy?
Michael O'Hara: I'm independent.
Arthur Bannister: Of money?

Arthur Bannister: You've been traveling around the world too much to find out anything about it.

Arthur Bannister: Killing you is killing myself. But, you know, I'm pretty tired of both of us.

"This isn't right, this isn't even wrong."
Wolfgang Pauli (1900-1958)

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jun 22 2009, 04:49 AM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

The Third Man (1949)
Harry Lime: Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly.

Martins: Have you ever seen any of your victims?
Harry Lime: You know, I never feel comfortable on these sort of things. Victims? Don't be melodramatic. Look down there. Tell me. Would you really feel any pity if one of those dots stopped moving forever? If I offered you twenty thousand pounds for every dot that stopped, would you really, old man, tell me to keep my money, or would you calculate how many dots you could afford to spare?

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jun 22 2009, 05:03 AM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
Otis Elwell: I can't think of a good reason why I should print anything you give me. I can't even think of a *bad* reason.
Sidney Falco: [eyeing a pin-up] Suppose I introduce you to a... a lovely reason... who's both good *and* bad... and available?
Otis Elwell: [pauses] I'm not an unreasonable man.

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jun 22 2009, 05:11 AM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

White Heat (1949)
Cody Jarrett: [while eating a chicken leg, Jarrett speaks to Parker in the trunk of the sedan] How ya doin', Parker?
Roy Parker: It's stuffy in here, I need some air.
Cody Jarrett: Oh, stuffy, huh? I'll give ya a litte air. [pulls a gun from his pants and shoots four times into the trunk]

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jun 28 2009, 07:31 AM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Now we're onto war. The most interesting, and foul-mouthed character in any war film had to be Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann from Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. Here are a few choice abuses he heaped on new recruits - these quotes are all taken from the first 20 minutes of the film.

Full Metal Jacket (1987) (warning: full of expletives toned down with "*")
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: MOVE IT! Or I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: [Hartman gives a speech to the graduating recruits] Today, you people are no longer maggots. Today, you are Marines. You're part of a brotherhood. From now on until the day you die, wherever you are, every Marine is your brother. Most of you will go to Vietnam. Some of you will not come back. But always remember this: Marines die. That's what we're here for. But the Marine Corp lives forever. And that means YOU live forever.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I'm Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your senior drill instructor, from now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and the last word out of your filthy sewers will be "Sir". Do you maggots understand that?
[recruits answers:] Sir. Yes Sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Bullsh*t I can't hear you. Sound off like you got a pair!
[recruits repeats with a louder tone]
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon. You will be a minister of death praying for war. But until that day you are pukes. You are the lowest form of life on Earth. You are not even human, f*ck*ng beings. You are nothing but unorganized grabastic pieces of amphibian Sh*t. Because I am hard you will not like me. But the more you hate me the more you will learn. I am hard but I am fair. There is no racial bigotry here. I do not look down on niggers, kikes, wops or greasers. Here you are all equally worthless. And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps. Do you maggots understand that?

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: How tall are you, private?
Private Cowboy: Sir, five-foot-nine, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Five-foot-nine, I didn't know they stacked sh*t that high.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Were you born a fat, slimy, scumbag puke piece o' sh*t, Private Pyle, or did you have to work on it?

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Oh that's right, Private Pyle, don't make any f*ck*ng effort to get to the top of the f*ck*ng obstacle. If God would have wanted you up there he would have miracled your *ss up there by now, wouldn't he?

This post has been edited by Faraaj73: Jun 28 2009, 07:34 AM

Kind Regards
Faraaj

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:02 PM