Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Charles Heston(84) Dies....

, Actor,Oscar Winner.........

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Charles Heston(84) Dies...., Actor,Oscar Winner.........
Reeth
post Apr 7 2008, 05:57 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6151

Charlton Heston, 84; actor, Oscar winner, played grand figures....

Charlton Heston, the Oscar-winning actor who achieved stardom playing larger-than-life figures
including Moses, Michelangelo and Andrew Jackson and went on to become an unapologetic gun
advocate and darling of conservative causes, has died. He was 84......

Attached Image

Heston died Saturday at his Beverly Hills home, said family spokesman Bill Powers. In 2002, he had been diagnosed with symptoms similar to those of Alzheimer's disease...
With a booming baritone voice, the tall, ruggedly handsome actor delivered his signature role as the prophet Moses in Cecil B. DeMille's 1956 Biblical extravaganza "The Ten Commandments," raising a rod over his head as God miraculously parts the Red Sea....

Attached Image

Heston won the Academy Award for best actor in another religious blockbuster in 1959's "Ben-Hur," racing four white horses at top speed in one of the cinema's legendary action sequences: the 15-minute chariot race in which his character, a proud and noble Jew, competes against his childhood Roman friend.

Heston stunned the entertainment world in August 2002 when he made a poignant and moving videotaped address announcing his illness.

Late in life, Heston's stature as a political firebrand overshadowed his acting. He became demonized by gun-control advocates and liberal Hollywood when he became president of the National Rifle Assn. in 1998.

Heston answered his critics in a now-famous pose that mimicked Moses' parting of the Red Sea. But instead of a rod, Heston raised a flintlock over his head and challenged his detractors to pry the rifle "from my cold, dead hands."

Like the chariot race and the bearded prophet Moses, Heston will be best remembered for several indelible cinematic moments: playing a deadly game of cat and mouse with Orson Welles in the oil fields in "Touch of Evil," his rant at the end of "Planet of the Apes" when he sees the destruction of the Statue of Liberty, his discovery that "Soylent Green is people!" in the sci-fi hit "Soylent Green" and the dead Spanish hero on his steed in "El Cid."

The New Yorker's film critic Pauline Kael, in her review of 1968's "Planet of the Apes," wrote: "All this wouldn't be so forceful or so funny if it weren't for the use of Charlton Heston in the [leading] role.
With his perfect, lean-hipped, powerful body, Heston is a god-like hero; built for strength, he is an archetype of what makes Americans win. He represents American power -- and he has the profile of an eagle."

For decades, the 6-foot-2 Heston was a towering figure in the world of movies, television and the stage.

"He was the screen hero of the 1950s and 1960s, a proven stayer in epics, and a pleasing combination of piercing blue eyes and tanned beefcake," David Thomson wrote in his book "The New Biographical Dictionary of Film."

Heston also was blessed by working with legendary directors such as DeMille in "The Greatest Show on Earth" and again in "The Ten Commandments," Welles in "Touch of Evil," Sam Peckinpah in "Major Dundee," William Wyler in "The Big Country" and "Ben-Hur," George Stevens in "The Greatest Story Ever Told," Franklin Schaffner in "The War Lord" and "Planet of the Apes" and Anthony Mann in "El Cid."

Attached Image

Though many of his films in the 1970s did well at the box office, like the sci-fi thriller "Soylent Green" and the nail-biters "Airport '75" and "Earthquake," the reviews were abysmal....

The 1980s marked his return to television, starring in ABC's "The Colbys," the short-lived spinoff of the prime-time soap opera "Dynasty," and several TV movies and miniseries.

Despite his granite-jawed, Moses-like image, Heston was not above poking fun at himself. In the
twilight of his career, he was a jovial two-time host of "Saturday Night Live," and had a cameo as "the good actor" in "Wayne's World 2," and even appeared as himself in a 1998 episode of the hit NBC sitcom "Friends."

Although his days as the leading man were over, he worked steadily in small but interesting roles, including the one-eyed CIA director in James Cameron's "True Lies," the Player King in Kenneth Branagh's "Hamlet," a high-powered football commissioner in Oliver Stone's "On Any Sunday" and an uncredited appearance in ape attire in Tim Burton's 2001 remake of "Planet of the Apes."

Throughout his life, Heston was active in various areas of the entertainment industry. Besides serving as president of the Screen Actors Guild, he also was chairman of the American Film Institute, head of President Reagan's Task Force on the Arts and Humanities, and involved in several charities.
President Lyndon B. Johnson appointed him to the Council on the Arts, the executive body controlling grants made by the National Endowment for the Arts.

In addition to his Oscar, Heston received numerous U.S. and international awards and honors, among them the Hollywood Foreign Press Assn.'s Cecil B. DeMille Award, the Screen Actors Guild Life Achievement Award, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award and the Kennedy Center Honors Lifetime Achievement Award. In 2003, he was awarded a Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W. Bush.

In later years, Heston battled physical ailments. In 1996, he underwent hip replacement surgery and two years later he was treated for prostate cancer. In 2000, he revealed in the National Enquirer tabloid that he had entered a rehab clinic for a drinking problem.

In addition to his wife and son, Heston is survived by a daughter, Holly Heston Rochell; and three grandchildren.....

:source:

This post has been edited by Reeth: Apr 7 2008, 06:01 PM

The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives
by altering their attitudes of mind

-William James
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
humble_rafi
post Apr 7 2008, 08:38 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1609

One of the finest classic actors.May his soul rest in peace.

Amen

I NEVER HEARD AN ANGEL SINGING,YES I HEARD MOHAMMED RAFI SAHAB.

I LOVE THEE RAFI SAHAB

Saanson Ki Maala Pay, Simron Main Pi Ka Naam......Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Sahab
+Quote Post
nasir
post Apr 7 2008, 10:59 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 5763

Charlton Heston is known for the quality movies than the quantity. He left on me, and the millions of his fans, an indelible stamp of impression as Moses in THE TEN COMMANDMENTS and as Judah Ben Hur in the BEN HUR. I had also seen his EL CID though I doubt the historical correctness of the story.

In Bombay, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS was released in the Regal Cinema sometimes in 1958 where it ran for more than 38 weeks all the shows. Some two years later it was released as a second run at the small Alexander Cinema (which showed only old movies) and ran for a record ten or more weeks all shows. BEN HUR had a silver jubilee run at the famous METRO Cinema in Bombay. EL CID was released at the Strand Cinema but did not do much business.

This post has been edited by nasir: Apr 7 2008, 11:00 PM

NASIR
Teri Khushi me.n Khush Tera banda khidmatgaar hai,
Banda hoo.n mai.n Tera Tuu mera Parwardigaar hai
+Quote Post
Reeth
post Apr 8 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6151

QUOTE(humble_rafi @ Apr 7 2008, 08:38 PM) *

One of the finest classic actors.May his soul rest in peace.

Amen

Amen

QUOTE(nasir @ Apr 7 2008, 10:59 PM) *

Charlton Heston is known for the quality movies than the quantity. He left on me, and the millions of his fans, an indelible stamp of impression as Moses in THE TEN COMMANDMENTS and as Judah Ben Hur in the BEN HUR. I had also seen his EL CID though I doubt the historical correctness of the story.

In Bombay, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS was released in the Regal Cinema sometimes in 1958 where it ran for more than 38 weeks all the shows. Some two years later it was released as a second run at the small Alexander Cinema (which showed only old movies) and ran for a record ten or more weeks all shows. BEN HUR had a silver jubilee run at the famous METRO Cinema in Bombay. EL CID was released at the Strand Cinema but did not do much business.

He had a commanding screen presence esp in the historical films and other than those 2 i have seen him in 'Earthquake' probably a seventies flick which was o;k....He easily was one of the Hollywood Greats no doubt about that.......

The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives
by altering their attitudes of mind

-William James
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:19 PM