Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Shammi Kapoor

, the original Rockstar !

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shammi Kapoor, the original Rockstar !
Sharmila-Sweet
post Oct 19 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 75253

October 19, 2010 14:41 IST
Sreya Basu, Trans World Features in Mumbai

Shammi Kapoor describes himself as Renaissance man, retired actor and computer buff on Twitter.

The actor, who has entertained audiences over five decades, looks back at his time in front of the camera.

He tells Trans World Features correspondent Sreya Basu what was the best part of being an actor is, and much more.

What's the best thing of being in the Indian film industry for over five decades?

The most wonderful thing about the films of my times was the innocence. Those were happy movies -- hero meets heroine, chases her, sings seven-eight songs for fasao-ing (wooing) her, and then last mein Pranji ki tarah ek villain bhi aa jayenge. The hero has a climax fight with Pran to save the heroine. And at the end, the lovers are united.

I belong to the era when films were simple, they didn't tax your brains. My films were not thought-provoking, they were hardcore entertainers.

Most of your musical hits were playbacked by Mohammad Rafi.

Rafisaab was my voice. After his death, I lost my voice. I cried like hell.

He had a great sense of humour. Generally, I used to be present at the recordings of all my songs. I would ask him to sing the songs with the nuances that I would portray on screen and he would happily oblige. After the recording, when I listened to the songs, I would wonder how could he sing exactly the way I wished him to!

Shammi Kapoor describes himself as Renaissance man, retired actor and computer buff on Twitter.

The actor, who has entertained audiences over five decades, looks back at his time in front of the camera.

He tells Trans World Features correspondent Sreya Basu what was the best part of being an actor is, and much more.

What's the best thing of being in the Indian film industry for over five decades?

The most wonderful thing about the films of my times was the innocence. Those were happy movies -- hero meets heroine, chases her, sings seven-eight songs for fasao-ing (wooing) her, and then last mein Pranji ki tarah ek villain bhi aa jayenge. The hero has a climax fight with Pran to save the heroine. And at the end, the lovers are united.

I belong to the era when films were simple, they didn't tax your brains. My films were not thought-provoking, they were hardcore entertainers.

Most of your musical hits were playbacked by Mohammad Rafi.

Rafisaab was my voice. After his death, I lost my voice. I cried like hell.

He had a great sense of humour. Generally, I used to be present at the recordings of all my songs. I would ask him to sing the songs with the nuances that I would portray on screen and he would happily oblige. After the recording, when I listened to the songs, I would wonder how could he sing exactly the way I wished him to!

You never asked Rafi how he could feel your pulse?

Yes, I did.

Remember the song Aasman se aaya farista from Kashmir Ki Kali? I was not present at the recording of that song. After listening to the song, I asked him, 'Main toh wahan tha nehin, so how could you get the exact nuances that I planned to perform on screen?'

He said: 'I just fantasised how Shammi Kapoor will sing and perform this song. If he is Shammi Kapoor, then at one moment he will jump from here and then take a dive from there.'

You had your unique style of dancing.

I never learnt how to dance; never had a dance master. When I was 18-19 years old, I joined a dancing school in Dadar to learn the tango. They used to charge 20 for an hour. After spending 100, I realised that I hadn't learnt anything. But I always gave expressions as required to my songs.

'You once said you used to forget your dialogues seeing Madhubala. True?

Absolutely true. There was this film, Rail Ka Dibba (1953). Madhubala was my heroine. She was so beautiful and I was a new hero, hardly 20 years old. I used to forget my dialogues seeing her and she used to help me out.

Can you pick one film that will remain unforgettable for you?

I will never forget Teesri Manzil. It was during the shooting of the film that I suffered the saddest moment of my life -- I lost my wife (Geeta Bali) in 1965. I was shattered, but had to continue shooting.

She was there before Teesri Manzil's shooting started. She was very happy that I was offered the film. She said she wanted to see my contribution in the film. I could not digest that fact that she was no longer there.

What made the eternal lover boy of Indian cinema so computer savvy even before the Internet wave hit India?

I discovered Internet before you got Internet in India. I took it up as a hobby. I am on Apple and they gave us a website called eWorld. The British telecom gave us a line through VSNL, even though VSNL was not available at that time (1994). That was an eye-opener -- something completely new. By the time Internet came to India, we were already first-marchers...already sab kuch dekh liya tha.

You have the latest gadgets, including the IPad. You are on Facebook, Twitter, maintain your own website.

I have been going to the hospital thrice a week for dialysis for the last seven years. There are millions of well-wishers who pray for me, bless me so that I remain healthy and return home safe. Believe me, Internet is the best medium to connect with lost friends.

I had a very dear friend Afzal in Pakistan. It shocked me completely when I received his email one day after 50 years! The machine (computer) did another good to me.

What's that?

The moment the mouse came in my hand, the cigarette flew away permanently.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Oct 22 2010, 10:07 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

`Yahoo` star Shammi Kapoor turns 80
By PTI, 22 October, 2010

Bollywood`s original dancing star Shammi Kapoor, known for bringing flamboyance, energy and boyish charm onscreen, turned 80 today.

The `Yahooo` star has not been keeping well for some time but that has not stopped his enthusiasm for life.

Not many know that he was the first Bollywood star to use Internet at a time when the web was not even popular in India.

"I have to visit hospital thrice in a month for dialysis. I am retired but happy and try to catch up new films whenever I have time," the actor told reporters.

The ‘Jangali’ star continues to remain one of the most tech savvy actors even today by posting his daily musings on microblogging site Twitter.

"Internet use in India started in 1995 but I had started using it in 1991 (because of a special application by Apple). I also made an Internet users` society with Mafatlal, Harish Mehta and Devang Mehta," Shammi says.

The actor brought lightness and new charm to acting. His Elvis Presley`s puff and dance made him a heartthrob.

When asked about his favourite films today, Shammi says, "I loved `3 Idiots` and `Munnabhai`, they were beautifully written. I also like Karan Johar, who is making films for today`s youth."

Shammi recently made a comeback in acting for grandnephew Ranbir Kapoor starrer `Rockstar`.

"Ranbir is very talented and he is working hard. He will become a huge star soon. I recently shot Rockstar with Ranbir and Imtiaz Ali in Delhi," Shammi says.

The veteran actor, best known for his roles in films like ‘Jangali’, ‘Janwar’, ‘Brahmachari’, ‘Rajkumar’ and ‘Mast Kalander’, accepts that Bollywood does not give importance to good scripts even today.

"We are weak when it comes to good scripts but whenever there has been a good story, films have worked."

Born on 21 October 1931 in Mumbai, Shammi believes that time changes things but not their beauty.

Don't let someone become a priority in your life,
when you are just an option in their life
+Quote Post
Sharad
post Aug 14 2011, 09:51 AM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 7

RIP Shammi Kapoor!

+Quote Post
orbitor13
post Aug 14 2011, 11:12 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1392

sad news sad.gif RIP

YOU CAN KILL ME BUT YOU CANT JUDGE ME...
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Aug 16 2011, 11:16 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Very Sad news, RIP Shammiji ! sad1.gif

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Aug 16 2011, 11:56 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Shammi Kapoor’s tech message on I-Day
N Madhavan, Hindustan Times
August 14, 2011 Email to Author

First Published: 22:17 IST(14/8/2011)
Last Updated: 15:05 IST(15/8/2011)Share more...16 Comments Tweet Email print

Shammi Kapoor passed away on Sunday. Now, what’s Bollywood's romantic superstar of the 1960s doing in a technology column? Well, I take this day to pay my tributes to the Internet-savvy actor and throw in a message for the Independence Day. Remember when Steve Jobs made the Apple Macintosh a phenomenon with the desktop computer? His slogan then was, “The computer for the rest of us.” Shamsher Raj Kapoor, well past his alleged prime, caught on to this when the Internet came to India about 15 years ago. He started his own website, putting pictures of his own Kapoor “khandaan” (clan) on the Web to eager worldwide fans. It also turns out that he inspired Silicon Valley entrepreneurs playing on the “Yahoo” title (a cry made famous by him in the film Junglee) who named their company as Junglee.com. Junglee, founded by IIT-ans Rakesh Mathur, Ashish Gupta, Anand Rajaraman and Venky Harinarayan, was acquired by online retailer Amazon.com and is now part of the Silicon Valley folklore.

About 12 years ago, I was introduced to Shammi Kapoor by late Dewang Mehta, then head of the National Association of Software and Service Companies (Nasscom) because the eternally young cinema doyen was also the chairman of the Internet Users Community of India, then a fledgling body.

When I started mentioning something about Microsoft personal computers, he said, “Don’t talk to me about PCs, yaar. I am a Mac person.”

A typical member of the Apple cult, with a style and elan to match his cool factor, Shammi epitomised what could be the underlying aim of this column: “It is not technology, but what it does for us.”

There is so much discussion on the gadget features these days, ranging from platforms to gee-whiz features, that we almost forget the significance of content or applications/ “apps” — be they on news, music, travel, business or social media or whatever it that turns on your imagination and addresses your needs.

As India celebrates its Independence Day, I think true digital independence comes when you can focus on the content or apps and discover and use better and newer ones and not so much on the machines. To me, that is the cool message that Shammi Kapoor sent us as he departed from this world on the eve of Independence Day.

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Aug 17 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

The Shammi Kapoor interview you may have missed

http://www.rediff.com/movies/slide-show/sl...or/20110816.htm
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Aug 18 2011, 11:40 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Meet Shammi's Yahoo
By: Chaitanya Padukone Date: 2011-08-18 Place: Mumbai

The suave late actor made it famous, but it was veteran writer-director Prayag Raaj who actually screamed Yaaahooo!

Amongst the scores of celebs who attended the late Shammi Kapoor's prayer meeting on Tuesday evening, there was an unsung hero who came too.

Shammi Kapoor in Junglee and above Prayag Raaj

Bollywood writer-director Prayag Raaj (who has written many Manmohan Desai films like Amar Akbar Anthony and co-directed Coolie), the actual 'voice' who screamed the legendary Yahoo in Junglee that was picturised on Kapoor.

With tears in his eyes, 76-year-old Prayag talks fondly about the late superstar. "Shammiji treated me like his younger brother and we often dined together. I didn't know my Yahoo yell would become such a timeless sensation." he says.

Although the late legendary singer Mohammed Rafi was the actual playback singer of Chaahe Koi Mujhe Junglee Kahe, composers Shankar-Jaikishan roped him in for this additional startling voice track.

"They felt that the wild screams of Yahoo for multiple takes would be a professional vocal hazard for Rafi Saab.

They ( including Rafi Saab) felt I had the perfect potential. Acoustics expert Minoo Katrak recorded ten re-takes of just the 'Yaaahoo' yell in my voice ¦ only two takes were finally okayed." he shrugs.

"Apart from Shammiji complimenting me, I was also paid a generous amount for my scream, which lasted me for a month in those days.

Thereafter, Shammiji insisted I play a cameo in his film, Professor," discloses Raaj, who post-Junglee lent his vocals to several chartbuster songs from movies like Jab Jab Phool Khile and Farz.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Aug 18 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Shammi Kapoor was like a mentor to me: Asha Parekh
By IANS, 17 August, 2011
Asha Parekh remembers her late co-star Shammi Kapoor as a mentor who taught her how to perform in the songs and how to do lip-sync in the song sequences. She is also concerned about his wife, whose life revolved round the star of hits like ‘Junglee’ and ‘Teesri Manzil’.

‘He was Shammi chacha (uncle) and his wife was Neela chachi (aunt) for me…It was her idea that I call them chacha and chachi. Now when this shocking news comes, my heart reaches out to Neela chachi,’ said Asha.

‘How will she cope? She devoted her entire being looking after him. Though she came from a very large and closely-knit family, after marriage Shammi chacha was her life…My heart reaches out to her…Shammi chacha…what do I say?’

Talking about her association with the actor, who died Monday after kindey failure, Asha Parekh said: ‘Memories flood back to my first film ‘Dil Deke Dekho’ where I was this gawky nervous tomboy. Shammi chacha taught me how to perform in the songs, how to do lip-sync in the song sequences. We later did ‘Teesri Manzil’ together, which was iconic.’

‘When we were shooting for ‘Teesri Manzil’, we never thought it would become so popular with time. We had such fun – me, Shammi chacha, producer Nasir Saab (Nasir Husain) and the director Vijay Anand.

‘Shammi Chacha and I would look into the camera lens to check out all the pretty girls who passed by on location. Now all of the ‘Teesri Manzil’ team is gone,’ she said adding that ‘Our two other films – ‘Jawan Mohabbat’ and ‘Pagla Kahin Ka’ were average successes.’

Asha says it’s hard to believe Shammi Kapoor is no more.

‘He was so full of life right to the end. In all these years, I’ve never seen him depressed except when his first wife Geeta Bali passed away suddenly. It left him shattered. I remember the shooting of ‘Teesri Manzil’ was called off and when we resumed we deliberately chose the sombre song ‘Tumne mujhe dekha hokar meherbaan’. ‘

‘The last time I met him was at actress Smita Jaykar’s place. He was in a lot of pain. But that smiling face never left him. I learnt so much from watching Shammi chacha at work and in real life. He had such an infectious zest for life. I don’t know about other heroines. With me he was caring, protective and guardian-like. I’ve no one to call chacha anymore,’ she said.

+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Aug 21 2011, 02:57 AM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Angels
Member No.: 36307

Shammiji, we are going to miss you badly. Thank you very much for countless of hours of joy you gave us with your work year after year, movie after movie. Never realized that your departure from us would leave such emptiness and vacuum in our hearts. Thinking of you that you are no more around us left moisture in my eyes and a lump in my throat. May your soul rest in peace.
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Aug 23 2011, 10:53 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

An animation film on Shammi

SKJ

Posted On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 04:27:24 AM

The late Shammi Kapoor was reputed as an animated star on-screen. And so, producer Madhu Mantena wants to carry forward Shammi’s legacy in an animation film.

Reportedly, Mantena wants to incorporate 26 of the actor’s most popular numbers into the film.

A source told us, “It’s one of the most ambitious animation films being attempted in Bollywood. So far, the animation genre has been restricted to children’s cinema. But now, Mantena wants to shoot Shammi’s musical heritage in the same format. He plans on getting the finest graphic designers to work on the special effects.”

Producer Mantena is currently chalking out plans to promote the late actor’s legacy
The source informed that technicians from Los Angeles are being roped in to make this the most comprehensive tribute ever. Also, the producer is in talks with Saregama to negotiate an agreement for the rights to Shammi’s evergreen classics.

The source added, “Mantena is sure that he doesn’t want remixed vesions of Shammi’s tunes. He wants the original Mohd Rafi numbers and that is what he is negotiating for. Since Madhu was closely associated with Saregama for many years, acquiring rights of Shammi’s songs should not be that difficult.”

When contacted, Mantena said, “It’s too early to talk about it. It’s something that I’d like to keep under wraps, until I get all the details in place.”

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Sep 5 2011, 10:12 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

The Yahoo man at rest in Dal Lake

Shammi Kapoor’s ashes immersed in Dal Lake, made famous by the actor. Amitabh Bachchan, Asha Parekh, Shabana Azmi, Vinod Khanna and Tina Ambani accompanied the late actor’s family there

Subhash K Jha

Posted On Saturday, September 03, 2011 at 02:31:42 AM

Shammi Kapoor, the man who turned singing in a shikara into a style statement with his Tareef Karoon Kya Uski number in the 1964 blockbuster Kashmir Ki Kali, was destined to end his journey in the same Dal Lake.

The veteran actor who passed away on August 14, 2011, will have his ashes immersed in the famous lake in Jammu and Kashmir. And to complete the momentous journey, the late actor's leading ladies Asha Parekh and Sharmila Tagore will accompany his son Aditya Raj Kapoor and daughter Kanchan. Good friend Amitabh Bachchan and Shabana Azmi will also be a part of the entourage.

Jagdish Aurangabadkar

Considering that Shammi Kapoor, the filmstar has always been associated to the snow capped mountains of Kashmir and the beautifully decorated shikaras in the Dal lake, his family decided to immerse his ashes in the very place.

"It was my sister Kanchan's idea to immerse our father's ashes in the Dal Lake. He was supposed to visit Kashmir now to celebrate the completion of 100 years of the Lalit Hotel, previously known as the Oberoi. My father stayed in one particular suite in this hotel every time he visited the place," said Shammi Kapoor's son Aditya Raj.

"We are all going there on my father's behalf. He romanced on the Dal Lake, added to the beauty of the gentle shikara, turned Kashmir into a haven for people to fall in love. Tareef karoon kya uski jissne Shammi Kapoor ko banaya," added Aditya.

Amitabh Bachchan, a sel-confessed admirer of the late Shammi Kapoor insisted on being a part of the final journey. The entourage left for Srinagar on Friday morning.

While the Big B and Tina Ambani (also a part of the entourage), flew out on a private jet, the others including Shammi Kapoor's children Aditya Raj and Kanchan took a commercial airline.

A part of the entourage, Shabana Azmi said, "We are in Srinagar to immerse Shammi Kapoorji's ashes in the Dal Lake.

Vinod Khanna, Asha Parekh, Sharmila Tagore, Amitabh Bachchan, Tina Ambani are all here. This is pure nostalgia. Shammiji's family except for his wife Neelaji flew down with us."

My father romanced the Dal Lake, turned Kashmir into a haven for people to fall in love

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Sep 5 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

"Shammi Uncle must be having a ball in Heaven with my father" - Rishi Kapoor

By Subhash K. Jha, September 5, 2011 - 11:49 IST

The Kapoor clan came together last week for a very special get-together in memory of the iconic Shammi Kapoor. The graceful Mrs. Krishna Raj Kapoor's hosted a very special event in memory of Shammi Kapoor.

Says Rishi, "Shammi Uncle used to love food. He used to come by to my mother's place for one of her special meals whenever he could. So my mother suggested we get together to eat, and recollect Shammi Uncle's memory in a good way."

Shammi Kapoor's favourite food was served and the entire family sang and hummed Shammi's songs.

Says Rishi, "Shammi Uncle must be having such a ball in Heaven with my father (Raj Kapoor) there. Shankar-Jaikishan, O.P. Nayyar and Mohd Rafi must be making fabulous music up there with him. Let's face it. Shammi Uncles lived life king-size. He had a great glorious innings. He lived life on his own terms. Even when on dialysis, he would enjoy those days of the week when he didn't have to be in hospital. He would go on long drives, eat his favourite food and sing his favourite songs. He would've been 80 in a few months. But the pain was unbearable now. He went when he had to."

Sighs Rishi, "Shammi Uncle was ailing. Death was a relief to him. Itna zinda dil aadmi tha. Here was man who said, 'Three days are set aside for my survival by dialysis. The other four days are for living.' I've seen how alive he was. To see a man of his stature reduced to a life on wheelchair...and he was in so much pain."
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Nov 15 2011, 02:06 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Shammi Kapoor's daughter to pen a book on him

By Bollywood Hungama News Network, November 15, 2011 - 13:01 IST

After Ranbir Kapoor giving a tribute to his grand-uncle Shammi Kapoor in his film Rockstar, Shammi Kapoor's daughter Kanchan Desai is all set to write a book on her father's life and career. This book will cover the professional and personal aspects of Shammi Kapoor's life as a husband, a father and a national icon.

Kanchan is Shammi Kapoor's daughter from his first wife Geeta Bali. Her family was touched and overwhelmed by the importance given to the legendary star in Imtiaz Ali's Rockstar. Shammi Kapoor was in unimaginable pain when he was shooting for Rockstarand Ranbir and Imtiaz felt that this spirit needed to be applauded and thus dedicated their film to the original Rockstar of Bollywood.

Kanchan will be writing this book as a tribute to her father.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:01 AM