Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Dev Anand

, Pls keep adding

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dev Anand, Pls keep adding
Dimple
post Sep 13 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 16381

Manmohan Singh to release Dev Anand's autobiography

The 'Never-say-die' spirit of the evergreen Bollywood star Dev Anand is worth admiring. After making innumerable films that acted as a launch pad for most of the young actresses like Tina Munim and Zeenat Aman, the superstar is all set to add another feather to his multifaceted hat. The autobiography that he has been writing for years together is finished and is all set to be released.

The autobiography will be launched on 26th of September this year in Delhi, on the occasion of his birthday. The icing on the cake however is the fact that India's Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will release the evergreen actor's autobiography. Incidentally September 26 not only marks Dev Anand’s birthday but also Manmohan Singh’s. Now this coincidence calls for a double celebration.

The book will also be launched in the actor's hometown Mumbai amidst the Bollywood's biggies on the 27th.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
"Shikwa nahin kisise, kisise gila nahin,
Naseeb mein nahin tha jo - humko mila nahin
.."

IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dimple
post Sep 28 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

NEW DELHI: Noting that the Indian film industry and especially the Hindi film industry had shaped the psyche of post-Independence India, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said today that ‘no other institution has been as successful in achieving the emotional integration of this vast and diverse land of ours as our film industry has been.

‘It is not official Hindi, or Government Hindi, that unites the length and breadth of this country but in fact popular spoken Hindi, as popularized by Hindi cinema. It is a unique language, a mix of shudh (pure) Hindi, of spoken dialects like Bhojpuri and Hyderabadi, and of spoken languages like Urdu and Marathi. This unique mix of conversational Hindi from across the country, popularized by the film industry, has become the thread that weaves us all together’, Singh said.

Releasing evergreen star Dev Anand’s autobiography ‘Romancing with Life’ here, Singh paid a tribute to the Hindi film industry and to its tallest leaders like Dev Anand for their contribution to nation-building. Congress President Sonia Gandhi and the evergreen hero were both present on the occasion.

Greeting the star filmmaker on his 84th birthday today, Singh said Dev’s life is a tribute to the world of opportunity and creativity that the Indian film industry has come to represent. Many talented young men and women have been able to live their dreams and earn their livelihood thanks to the creativity and enterprise of filmmakers like Dev Anand. ‘I salute their creativity, their enterprise, their compassion and, above all, their patriotism, and for their contribution to this great saga of creativity and enterprise’.

Noting that he was not a regular movie-goer and could not claim to know much about recent trends in Indian cinema, Singh said he was aware that the Indian film industry had made its presence felt wherever he had gone. ‘From the islands of the Pacific to those of the Atlantic, from the southernmost tip of Africa to the icy deserts of Siberia, from the towns of West Africa to the cities of East Asia, from the suburbs of North America to villages across Asia - around the world, across the globe, the sun never sets on Indian films. Hollywood may have more money invested in it, it may be a bigger business, but I am sure that more people across the world actually watch Bollywood movies! More people laugh and shed tears, more people sing and cheer watching an Indian film’ he said.

Observing that Dev had come from a middle-class family that had to suffer the holocaust of the partition, he said the actor-director story was one of the ‘classic rags to riches life, where those riches have been earned through dint of hard work and dedication’.

He said Dev’s life mirrored India’s own progress. When he began his career over sixty years ago, India was a poor and backward colony. Today, it is among the world’s front ranking nations. ‘We still have to win the war against poverty, ignorance and disease. But, today, we can say with a much greater degree of confidence and assurance that we will indeed win this war. We have marched forth with confidence in the past and we must continue to do so’.

He expressed the hope that popular creative artists would continue to inspire the people and motivate them to work harder, work together and work purposively.

.."

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dimple
post Oct 4 2007, 03:49 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Dev Anand to act in son’s film
After recently releasing his autobiography ‘Romancing With Life’, Dev Anand the evergreen actor still can’t sit idle as his son Suneil Anand is keen on directing his famous father in a film. Suneil is apparently penning down the script for the movie which will see Devsaab playing the central role.

Set to be a musical thriller, the film will also see Suneil coming in front of the camera. Suneil Anand is waiting for his father’s film Charge Sheet to be wrapped up to begin work on this current project.

Not many would be aware of the fact that Suniel had made his acting debut in Anand Aur Anand way back in 1984 where he shared screen space with his legendary dad. Since then he has acted in five films which includes his directorial debut Master which released in 2001.

Dev Anand is only too eager to work with his son and is looking forward to Suniel shouting ‘action’ to readily face the camera once again.

.."

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dimple
post Oct 5 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

I decided to tell Zeenat how much I loved...
By: A hitList Correspondent
October 5, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
‘I decided to tell Zeenat how much I loved her, but…’

In his recently released autobiography Romancing With Life, Dev Anand gets candid about the two women he loved and lost

She Set Her Sights Further: Dev Anand with Zeenat Aman

My Life As I Know It: The book cover of Dev Anand’s autobiography
Suddenly, one day, I felt I was desperately in love with Zeenat — and wanted to say so to her! To make an honest confession, at a very special, exclusive place meant for romance.

I chose the Rendezvous at the Taj, on the top of the city, where we had dined together once earlier.

No setting could be more appropriate, I thought, than a quiet candlelit table in the corner, the candle throwing its gleam on Zeenat’s face, just as the glow of her cigarette-lighter had lit up her face when I first met her.

The dimmed lights of the city below, shining out of the darkness, would certainly light up the romance of the moment.

I called her up to say, ‘Zeenie, I want to go out on a date with you tonight.’
‘But aren’t we already going together to a party tonight?’ she asked me.

‘Of course we are. But let’s just go there only for a brief while, say ‘Hi’ to the gathering and then quickly disappear!’ It was an order, but very lovingly conveyed.

She was quiet.

‘H-e-ll-o’; I said.

‘Yes I am listening.’

‘Is that a date?’ I asked.

‘If you so desire. See you then.’ And she hung up.

I picked her up. Together we went to the party. The first person who greeted Zeenat from a distance was a drunken Raj Kapoor, with a gallant drawl. ‘There she is’. He threw his arms around her exuberantly.

This suddenly struck me as a little too familiar. And the way she reciprocated his embrace seemed much more than just polite and courteous.

She quickly bent down to touch his feet, and then gave me an embarrassed look. Raj grasped my hand in a very tight grip, like never before, as if trying to make amends for some wrong he had done, suddenly overflowing with affection.

A hint of suspicion crossed my mind. A couple of days earlier, a rumour had been floating around that Zeenat had gone to Raj’s studio for a screen test for the main role of in his new movie Satyam Shivam Sundaram. The hearsay now started ringing true. My heart was bleeding.

‘You are breaking your promise,’ Raj was now telling Zeenat in his drunken joviality, ‘that you will always be seen by me only in a white sari.’

More embarrassment was writ large on her face and Zeenat was not the same Zeenat for me anymore. My heart broke into pieces. I wanted to leave the party at once and go off somewhere alone, to be just by myself, so that I could swallow the humiliation thrust on my ego.

But a struggle within me transformed itself to a ‘hell-with it all’ attitude and prompted me to say goodbye to a relationship which, though had been non-committal emotionally on both sides, had been honest all the same.

There was no space in it for professional dishonesty.

The painting I had made of her showed signs of cracking. The evening delivered a blow to my personality, and my dominating spirit. I had decided on the spur of the moment to tell Zeenat for the first time how much I loved her.

I quickly detached myself, convincing myself that I had blundered, taking too many things for granted…. I had prepared her for the world and she was free to go into the arms of anyone who would help her further her ambitious dreams….

I closed my eyes. Zeenat still remained beautiful in my eyes with an honest soul. And Raj, a passionate filmmaker.

Reproduced from Romancing With Life, an autobiography

‘The day I did not see Suraiya I felt cheated’

Family Trouble: Dev Anand with Suraiya
There was not a day when Suraiya and I did not meet or talk to each other on the phone. I was in love. Not that I hadn’t fallen in love before.

I had been physically and emotionally involved before, and had my share of love affairs. But they were with women already married, with a past of their own.

This time it was as if two eligible beings, suited for each other, had got together lighting a torch for young love, openly in the public eye, with the approval of their admiring fans.

My visits to her place came with clockwork regularity. If I missed any rendezvous with her, she’d be unhappy, and the day I didn’t get to see her I felt cheated.

Religiously, I would take the local train from Bandra, to get off at Churchgate station, and then walk across to Marine Drive to ring her doorbell. We huddled together in a corner, under the scrutinising hawk-eye of the family, cooing and wooing each other, whispering in each other’s ears.

Our affair caught the attention of a particular lobby that started showing their resentment after they discovered its seriousness and its consequences, for she and I were secretly talking of getting engaged.

It soon became a touchy and thorny issue for the self-proclaimed suitors of Suraiya… each luring her family into a proposal for marrying her and also poisoning her minds against me…. A Hindu marrying their Muslim daughter was sacrilegious.

Soon, I realised I was no longer welcome at her house and that Suraiya was a silent prisoner in her family’s hands. Suraiya’s grandmother’s open resentment came to the fore one day, on the sets of Afsar.

She started monitoring our movements on the set, making sure that the lovers did not get an opportunity to communicate with each other, except to speak and perform the lines required of them in the scenes. She also forbade any physical contact between us in any scene to be shot.

But I was made of a different mould and sterner stuff. I decided to confront my obsession… I had to be bolder and more demanding…. I went to Zaveri Bazar and bought one of the costliest rings that would adorn her finger.

.."

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Sep 26 2011, 11:30 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 75253

The magic of Dev Anand
Roshmila Bhattacharya, Hindustan Times
Mumbai, September 25, 2011 Email to Author

First Published: 13:51 IST(25/9/2011)
Last Updated: 19:18 IST(25/9/2011)Share more...7 Comments Email print

At the age of 88, he is still 'Ziddi' about making films of his taste. A 'Guide' to millions of beauties who wanted to make their mark in Bollywood, Dev Anand is Awwal Number in his profession. Here's the Jewel Thief's alluring cinematic journey that continues to inspire one and all.
more photos »Decades ago, when Dev Anand was touring the US and Canada, he noticed a 16 year old at every felicitation function, trying desperately to catch his eye. Intrigued, he called her over one evening and learnt that the teenager had left home to trail him from one city to the next in the hope that he would make her Bollywood dreams come true. He didn’t see the spark in her but her story inspired Main Solah Baras Ki in 1998 and launched another starry-eyed aspirant Sabrina.

The film was shot in the Scottish Highlands. During an interview, Sabrina recalled how for a song they had to trudge up a steep hill. Puffing and panting they straggled to the top to be greeted by 75-year-old Dev Anand, who had sprinted up without once pausing for breath. I’ve always visualised Devsaab racing against time.

He even landed his first big break during a mad dash down Churchgate station. Running to catch the train that was just pulling out, he heard someone call out his name.

Director Shahid Lateef, who with his writer- wife Ismat Chugtai, was sitting in a waiting train and beckoned him over to ask what he was doing. The young actor had just wrapped up three films with Prabhat and admitted that he was now looking around. After a pointed nudge from his begum, Shaheed Lateef told him to drop by at Bombay Talkies the next day. He did and was taken to meet the boss, Ashok Kumar, who was on the lookout for someone to cast across opposite Kamini Kaushal in Ziddi. The small budget, black and white film, released a year after Independence, was a surprise hit and he was a star.

It’s been 65 years and he’s still shining bright. Once I’d wondered aloud about his tandrusti ki raaz (fitness secret) and he’d chuckled, “I’ve grown with this country…Grown in confidence with every decade. The mind never grows old but always urges you to surge ahead.” Tomorrow, he turns 88 and he’s still surging ahead.

Earlier this year, Hum Dono returned to the theatres in colour after five decades. He’d told me with a smile that Main Zindagi Ka Saath Nibhata Chala Gaya, Har Fikr Ko Dhuan Mein Udata Chala Gaya… reflected his life’s philosophy. I don’t smoke but even I believe in shrugging off all cares instead off letting them settle heavily on my shoulders as I go tripping down life’s lanes.

At the film’s premiere, I sat alone, and hummed along with the debonair charmer a song that had been written before I was born. Suddenly, I felt a pair of eyes on me. My neighbour was giving me the look. Convinced I’d been certified a pagal (mad person), I reluctantly put a full stop to my musical meandering. When the next song started playing, I head an echo closer to me. My neighbour was singing… Smiling, I joined him.

That’s the magic of Dev Anand, he makes you want to break free from rules and romance life. Six decades ago, he’d launched Navketan. The banner lives on, and is all set for a 37th release. Chargesheet, a story about police corruption, has Devsaab playing a CBI officer. And a track by Asha Bhosle, who returned to the studio 28 years after Lootmaar’s Jab Chaahe Mera Jadoo… to sing for Dev saab.

“While working on Dum Maro Dum…, Dada (S D Burman), Pancham (R D Burman), Asha and I would squat on the studio floor,” he’d reminisced, telling me that Hare Rama Hare Krishna was born during a trip to Nepal for the wedding of the crown prince. It was there that he spotted a group of hippies smoking marijuana. “A quarter of a century later, so many Jasbirs have come and gone. Yet so many feeble minds still continue to be hooked on hashish in the hope that it’ll give them the strength to face the world.”

Even though Deepika Padukone gyrated to its remixed tune recently, for me, Zeenat Aman will always be the Dum Maro Dum… girl. Devsaab was introduced to Miss Asia at a party. She offered him a cigarette and as she lit it, her eyes lit up. And he knew he’d found his Jasbir. Devsaab plans to return to Nepal to shoot the sequel and is looking for another Zeenat to carry Jasbir’s story forward. For the star maker, the show goes on…

http://www.hindustantimes.com/The-magic-of...le1-749956.aspx

Don't let someone become a priority in your life,
when you are just an option in their life
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Sep 26 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/...eet-Part-1.html

DESCRIPTION: Bollywood veteran actor Dev Anand talks about his upcoming film 'Chargesheet' in this first part of his bollywoodhungama.com exclusive interview with Content Head Broadband Faridoon Shahryar. He speaks about his blockbuster films and the censor board issue. The actor also shows his disgrace for the new version of 'Dum Maaro Dum' song and more. Must watch
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Sep 26 2011, 02:53 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Dev Anand turns 88; plans sequel to Hare Rama Hare Krishna
By Subhash K. Jha, September 26, 2011 - 10:43 IST
India's evergreen superstar, Dev Anand, turns 88 today. Says Dev Saab excitedly, "I am having a meeting with Warner Brothers my producers of Chargesheet about the premiere on Monday morning. In the evening, my friends have planned a dinner. A lot of eminent people think my birthday is worth celebrating."

Dev Anand has got himself an I-Phone for his birthday. He turns 88 with the announcement of the sequel to Hare Rama Hare Krishna which brings back the character that Dev Saab played in the original…39 years after it first appeared.

Apparently, the character would have aged by less than a decade in the sequel, as the story moves forward. The hunt is on for what the evergreen superstar describes as "A woman of today, trendy savvy with-it and attractive."

Reveals Dev Saab, "I have the script for Hare Rama Hare Krishna Aaj which takes forward the story of the earlier film. It is not a remake of Hare Rama Hare Krishna. I don't believe in remakes. I believe in moving forward. Every scene every character except mine would be new. If Dev Anand played Prashant in 1971 he will play Prashant in 2012 as well."

He confesses he starts thinking of his next film even before he completes a film. "If you want to define Dev Anand, it would be to be as 'restlessness'. While I am making a film, I am totally consumed by it. But yes, a part of my mind moves to the next project."

Ask him what are his birthday wishes, and the inimitable Dev Saab quips, "I don't make wishes. I make them come true. I go with exactly what I want to do. It's an ongoing process. As long as I feel creative and as long as I feel there are some people who want to watch my films, I'll continue to make them."

Chargesheet which opens next Friday is a different genre for Dev Saab, "I haven't done this genre before. It's a murder mystery."

He continues to be as charged about his new film Chargesheet as he has been about all his other films. "If I'm not as enthusiastic about my new film then I've no business making it. The very fact that I've picked up the responsibility of directing another film proves I've the energy for it. The day I don't, I won't make any more films. My audience, my fans are my source of energy. I need my fans' good wishes gives me my energy," says Dev Saab.

We end the ebullient conversation with Dev Saab's message for his fans. "I love my fans and seek their good wishes all the time. The younger generations is so clued in, so huge in mind and impact. As they connect with me, I feel my batteries being recharged. Some of the most remarkable minds of the world stay in our country. And I give them my love and good wishes. Continue to see my films."
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Sep 27 2011, 10:28 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

I am little more than alive: Dev Anand
Seema Sinha, TNN Sep 25, 2011, 12.00am IST

Dev Anand is living like a gypsy these days. He has parked himself in a small, dimly lit room stacked with papers, trophies, posters of his old classics, photographs, portraits..

It will take a few more weeks to shift everything back from this makeshift office to his penthouse which is getting renovated few metres away. Even as it is difficult for him to scurry around like this, it doesn't let it affect his enthusiasm and cheerful disposition. He is geared up to release his new film Chargesheet – a murder mystery, on September 30, four days after his 88th birthday on September 26.

Don't let someone become a priority in your life,
when you are just an option in their life
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Sep 27 2011, 11:45 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Dev Anand celebrates birthday with media

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/stills/par...edia/index.html
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Sep 28 2011, 09:08 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Live Chat: Dev Anand on September 28 at 1600 hrs IST
By Bollywood Hungama News Network, September 26, 2011 - 18:50 IST
The name Dev Anand needs no introduction. After all he is the 'Evergreen Legendary Superstar' who has enthralled one and all over the years with his films such as C.I.D, Guide, Hum Dono, Johny Mera Naam, Jewel Thief, Prem Pujari, Hare Rama Hare Krishna and many more.

Dev saab, as he is fondly known as, is now ready with his latest film Chargesheet. Bollywood Hungama gives you the chance of a lifetime to have a live video chat with the living legend Dev Anand on Wednesday, September 28, at 1600 hrs IST. Don't miss it for anything in the world.
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Sep 28 2011, 11:10 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

The Evergreen Hero of Bollywood, Dev Anand, turned 87 yesterday. The veteran star celebrated the occasion amidst media and fans at hotel Sun N Sand, Mumbai.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/hindi/g...ents/29775.html
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Sep 28 2011, 12:22 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

MP govt to honour Dev Anand with Kishore Kumar Samman -

Bhopal: Veteran actor-director Dev Anand will be honoured with the national Kishore Kumar Samman for the year 2010-11 by the Madhya Pradesh government.

Similarly, noted music director, Rajesh Roshan will be bestowed with the national Lata Mangeshkar award. Giving this information, State Culture Minister Laxmikant Sharma said both film personalities had done a commendable work in their long cinematic career.

They will be presented with Rs two lakh in cash, a scroll of honour, shawl and `shreephal`.

The 88-year-old `evergreen` actor will be felicitated at a function in Khandwa on October 13 while Roshan will recieve the award at a function in Indore for which the date is yet to be finalised.
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Sep 28 2011, 05:19 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/broadband/...eet-Part-2.html

DESCRIPTION: Dev Anand has a great taste for music. In the second part of his bollywoodhungama.com exclusive interview with Content Head Broadband Faridoon Shahryar, he speaks about his autobiography, knack for writing poems, evergreen songs and his journey in Bollywood. Don't miss on this interesting chat.
+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Sep 30 2011, 10:11 AM
Post #14

Group Icon

I will find another Zeenat
Dev Anand talks about the things that attract him in life - women, movies and the wish to achieve more

Vickey Lalwani and Latika Mehta

Posted On Friday, September 30, 2011 at 02:15:55 AM

Chargesheet is a few hours from its release. How do you feel?

I'm in a state of suspense. I've made a film with a lot of responsibility. Let the world decide. It is an original film and not a remake. It is a contemporary film against corruption in the police force. I have really worked hard. Ab dekhte hain kya hota hai. Honestly, I never get carried away. If there is no elevator, I still climb the stairs. When I call my colleagues, I have to go through six secretaries. I wonder what happened to them. I know they are busy, but who isn't?

We hear, you have lot of NRI fans who finance your films. Right?

Yes, they are prepared to put their money, but I have never asked for it.

What if Chargesheeet doesn't do well?

There are many films of mine that haven't done well. My setbacks, frustrations, sorrows are very short-lived. That's my definition of life. We all have our insecurities. Even the Prime Minister in a democracy is insecure, so why not me?

How was it working with Riya Sen in Chargesheet? She is known to throw a lot of tantrums.

Riya needed pampering. I did that. I think the boys too pampered her. See, the thing is, wisdom nahi aati hai young ladkiyon ko. She would come late on the sets. She made her own clothes. Agar main banata toh kuch aur baat hoti.

Ramesh Sippy admitted in an interview with Mumbai Mirror (Sep 29) that he had offended you by tampering with your iconic Dum Maro Dum song.

For your information, all that is over. Yesterday, Ramesh called to congratulate me on Chargesheet and we spoke to each other after a long time. His son Rohan also called later. The issue is sorted now.

Coming to the many romantic liaisons in your life... you, it was believed, were attracted to Zeenat Aman. Also, Suraiya and you were in a relationship before that. Who else?

There are certain things in life that I don't wish to reveal. This is one of them. Isn't making love a beautiful thing? Attraction is a beautiful thing. If a man is not attracted, then he must be a sage or an angel. I am still attracted to girls. When that doesn't happen, I will stop making films. Read between the lines.

Was it Suraiya's love for you that kept her from getting married ever?

I loved her. I wanted to marry her. I had a ring made for her. I never asked her why she couldn't marry me. If she had loved me, then I would have gone to her house. I would travel by train, knock at her door and people would see me waiting outside her house. She was a huge star and I was only an intelligent, young man (pauses and looks at the ceiling). No, after that, we never kept in touch. I didn't want to interfere with her life. When we parted ways, I cried over my brother's shoulder (pauses again). After sometime, I overcame it. And I was busy looking for some other beautiful thing (smiles faintly).

Were you disappointed with your son Suniel when he put an end to his acting career after his debut flopped?

I was let down slightly. He's a good thinker. He made a film in Chicago, USA. He looks after my company. I need someone to do that.

Are you in touch with your nephew Shekhar Kapur?

Shekhar Kapur was a young college kid in London who once told me, "Dev Uncle, please put me in movies." I cast him in Ishq Ishq Ishq where he met Shabana for the first time. And they were together. Today, he never bothers me nor do I bother him. .

You were incommunicado after Shammi Kapoor passed away?

I was deeply saddened. Sorrow does not mean that you have to go to a funeral. I cannot attend funerals. I don't go to weddings either; today, people get married and divorced within such a short time.

Is your next film Hare Rama Hare Krishna 2?

Yes. I have a wonderful script, which is not a remake but an extension of the old one. I will be in that film. But I shall get another Zeenat. Wait and watch.

There must be something in your life that you still haven't got…

I still want everything. I have done nothing.

â–ş I loved Suraiya. I wanted to marry her and I had a ring made specially for her

► I am still attracted to girls. When that doesn’t happen, I will stop making films

â–ş I never get carried away. If there is no elevator, I still climb the stairs

+Quote Post
Sharmila-Sweet
post Oct 19 2011, 11:20 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

I always take criticism in my stride: Dev Anand
By IANS, 18 October, 2011

His last few directorial ventures, including the latest “Chargesheet”, may have bombed at the box-office, but the evergreen Dev Anand says he takes criticism in his stride, and will continue to do so.

The 88-year-old actor was in the capital to receive the Lifetime Achievement honour at the NDTV Indian of the Year award ceremony Tuesday.

“This award in a flash takes me back to the year 1945 when I got my first break in a movie as a leading man. I was keen and passionate about my work...this was more than a six-and-a-half decades ago. How long...generation after generation after generation...I have seen it all since then and I am still seeing it,” said Dev.

“The adulation, the love and admiration of the people, also the prejudices and criticism of me and my work by different people, and I have always taken it in my stride, gracefully, alone and aloof,” he added.

Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni, a Dev Anand fan herself, presented the award to the veteran.

The actor-filmmaker has been in the industry for more than six decades. Though he began his career as an actor and featured in hits like “Guide”, “Baazi” and “Jewel Thief”, he later ventured into direction and gave some cult hits like “Hare Rama Hare Krishna” and “Des Pardes”.

However, his recent directorial ventures like “Love at Times Square” and “Censor” have brought him more brickbats than accolades. But nothing dampens Dev Anand's spirit.

“I understand that not every person will like you and not everyone is going to dislike you as long as you know your job. So, I can only say that this award is for all those who have inspired me over the years, over six decades...the people of this country. So I dedicate this award, in my conscious and sub-conscious mind, to all the people of the country,” he said.

During the event, when asked to recite his favourite dialogues from his films, Dev Anand had just one thing to say: “I don't think I remember anything, whatever I say goes to the world and then the world remembers it and I proceed further,” he remarked in his inimitable style.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:43 PM