Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

King Khan

, All about the one and only Shahrukh

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> King Khan, All about the one and only Shahrukh
Dimple
post Aug 7 2007, 10:32 AM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 16381

The Shah Rukh Khan Phenomenon
“Shah Rukh Khan is Shah Rukh Khan.” “There’s no one like Shah Rukh Khan.” “Nobody can match Shah Rukh Khan’s Popularity.” These and similar statements are commonly heard. And not just in the film trade but also among the general public. What is it that makes Shah Rukh Khan so different from the others of his ilk? Why in the last 15 years have we never had any actor who has had the same fan following and who could clearly step into his shoes?

What is it that really has made Shah Rukh Khan stand above all the other stars who’ve come after the superstar first made an appearance on the screen in 1992 in Deewana?

Quite simply, Shah Rukh Khan’s string of box-office hits! One after the other, the actor’s films hit the jackpot with such alarming regularity that in the nineties and 2000’s, Shah Rukh Khan became the safest bet for producers, distributors and exhibitors alike. I use the world alike to differentiate the scene that existed when Shah Rukh Khan is the numero uno and the one that exists now.

For instance, a Salman Khan today may guarantee mega-bucks for the producers of his films but there’s no like guarantee that distributors and exhibitors of his starrers will also make money. As in the case of most of his releases before his latest, Tere Naam. While producers of Salman-starrers made table profits, distributors of his films burnt their fingers rather badly when those films flopped. It was after almost two-three years that everybody associated with a Salman-starrer made money in Tere Naam.

Ditto in the case of films of other topline stars like Aamir Khan or others like Ajay Devgan, Akshay Kumar, Sunny Deol or, for that matter, anybody else. Why, even current heartthrob Hrithik Roshan’s films such as Aap Mujhe Achche Lagne Lage and Na Tum Jaano Na Hum entailed heavy losses to its distributors. That is not the case with Shah Rukh Khan Flicks.

Secondly, merely the superstar’s name is enough to draw in the crowds into cinemas in any given day. Today, no hero can boast of such charisma as to lure the audiences to theatres on the sheer strength of their names. Salman Khan’s home production, Auzaar and Hello Brother, could not even manage decent houses on the opening day, leave alone full houses. Aamir Khan has never really drawn initial crowds; his starrers usually pick up by word of mouth publicity if they are good. Even action heroes like Ajay Devgan and Akshay Kumar had had to remain content with dismal opening of their flicks on more occasions then one. But the Shah Rukh Khan magic is one of a kind. Whether it was Aziz Mirza’s Raju Ban Gaya Gentlemen in 1992 or Yash Chopra’s evergreen Darr in 1993, Rakesh Roshan’s multi-star cast Karan Arjun in 1995 or Aditya Chopra’s All Time Blockbuster Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge in 1995, Shah Rukh Khan’s first film with Aishwarya Rai - Josh - in 2000 or Farah Khan’s biggest entertainer, Main Hoon Naa in 2004, the two common features in all these hits were Shah Rukh Khan’s towering presence in them and a bumper box-office initial draw. Yes Boss, Pardes and Dil To Pagal Hai made 1997 a memorable year for the King Khan. The following year may not have been as good but Shah Rukh Khan, nevertheless, did deliver massive hit Kuch Kuch Hota Hai in 1998. The next decade was equally exciting for the superstar. Josh, Mohabbatein, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam, Devdas, Chalte Chalte, Kal Ho Naa Ho, Main Hoon Naa, Veer – Zaara, Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna and Don - The Chase Begins Again is some of the actor’s great hits of the first and second half of the 2000’s.

Of course, when Shah Rukh Khan has reigned supreme, films did have to face the opposition of video and cable piracy. Cinema going was the expensive form of entertainment for the masses that identified with the Lover Boy image of Shah Rukh Khan. Still Shah Rukh Khan delivered Hit after Hit.

Yet another factor that went in Shah Rukh Khan’s favour in making him the darling of all sections of society was his unbelievable versatility. It is not for nothing that the King Khan became a superstar. Although he was adored in Lover Boy roles, Shah Rukh Khan never let down his fans in Action films like Karan Arjun, Ram Jaane, Josh and Main Hoon Naa. Yes Boss and Baadshah come to mind instantly when one thinks of Shah Rukh Khan’s flair for comedy. With equal ease, Shah Rukh Khan also played the intense lover as in Darr and Anjaam. For Art Lovers there was Asoka, Swades and Paheli.

The range which Shah Rukh Khan portrayed in his performances remains unmatched. Today, films do businesses of Rs 10 and 15 crores it is considered good, but Shah Rukh Khan Movie’s continuously do business of 30 Corer’s+.

Shah Rukh Khan is also the last star to have had a universal appeal that cut across geographical boundaries. Whether it was the man on the street in Ludhiana in the North or Latur down South, whether it was a company executive in Porbandar in Western India or a college student studying in Patna in East India, the fondness for Shah Rukh Khan is the same. Today, a Sunny Deol runs more in Northern Indian because of his action image; a Akshay Kumar is a hot favourite of U.P. and Bihar whereas an Aamir Khan flick generally records dull collections in Bihar. That is to say, Shah Rukh Khan’s charm affected the audiences in the North, South, East and West with equal intensity. Not just in India, but across the seven seas too, Shah Rukh Khan reigned supreme. His super-hit stage shows bore testimony to his immense popularity the world over.

Today when jubilees are difficult to get, Shah Rukh Khan’s films celebrated genuine silver, golden, diamond and platinum jubilees. Mohabbatein in 2000 celebrated silver jubilee in as many as 9 cinemas of Mumbai, a record unparalleled! From 2000 onwards Shah Rukh Khan has 19 releases out of which 5 of his Movies completed Silver Jubilees, 2 Golden Jubilees, 1 Diamond Jubilee, 1 Platinum Jubilee and 3 100 Days. Whereas Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge turned out to be the highest running movie of Indian cinema 600 weeks+ (12 Years).

It is not that only Shah Rukh Khan good movies were successful. Even the actor managed to make successes out of ordinary films like Anjaam, Ram Jaane, Army and Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam. Shah Rukh Khan star power can be seen from Super Hit Don – The Chase Begins Again. It was the most worst reviewed movie of 2006, still it collected 51 corers in India and 110 corers Worldwide. Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani, Swades and Paheli which are termed failures by media for producers, distributors and exhibitors it was successful ventures.

Did you know?
1. Shah Rukh Khan is the only actor who gave at least one successful every year since his debut in 1992 Deewana till 2006 Don - The Chase Begins Again.

2. Shah Rukh Khan has acted in 4 films directed by Aziz Mirza (Raju Ban Gaya Gentlemen, Yes Boss, Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani & Chalte Chalte). Rakesh Roshan (King Uncle, Karan Arjun & Koyla), Yash Chopra (Darr, Dil To Pagal Hai and Veer – Zaara) and Karan Johar (Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham & Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna) directed Shah Rukh Khan in 3 films each respectively. Abbas – Mustan (Baazigar & Baadshah), Aditya Chopra (Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge & Mohabbatein), Ketan Mehta (Maya Memsaab & Oh Darling Yeh Hai India) and Rajiv Mehra (Chamtkar & Ram Jaane) directed Super Star Shah Rukh Khan in 2 films each respectively.

3. Shah Rukh Khan has won 13 Filmfare Awards, Out of which 6 has been Best Actor Baazigar, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Dil To Pagal Hai, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Devdas and Swades, 2 Critic’s Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa (Performance) and Mohabbatein (Best Actor), 2 Power Awards, 1 Villain Anjaam, 1 Debut Deewana and 1 Special Award Swiss Consulate Trophy.

4. Shah Rukh Khan was the 1st actor to win all popular awards for Devdas (Filmfare, Screen, Zee, Sansui, Bollywood Awards & IFFA), which was next year matched by Hrithik Roshan for Koi Mil Gayaa.

5. Shah Rukh Khan is the only actor who has given maximum hits with debut directors. Raj Kanwar (Deewana), Aziz Mirza (Raju Ban Gaya Gentlemen), Aditya Chopra (Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge), Karan Johar (Kuch Kuch Hota Hai), K.S.Adhiyaman (Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam), Nikhil Advani (Kal Ho Naa Ho) & Farah Khan (Main Hoon Naa).

===================================

Shah Rukh Khan is shooting a dreamy number for his home production Om Shanti Om at Yashraj Studios and you wonder whether he can switch into Chak De India mode. He does, telling you all about how he played hockey with his father and how his son can beat him at soccer.

Does your role in Chak De India mirror your real feelings on hockey?

This film is my take on sports in general, hockey, cricket or football, plus the role that women should play in society. See, every year I do a film like that. I love women and make no bones about it. I have an immense amount of respect for them. I think I'm brought up like that because being with my mom early, then my sister, then my wife. Even my best friends are girls, whether it's Farah or Juhi. I like girls more than guys.

Did your father teach you hockey?

Yeah, we used to play together. Like I play hockey with my son. Whatever sport I'm at, my rule is that I teach him for a year and then he should overtake me. In soccer, he's much better than what I was at his age. Of course, he's smaller so I can push him around. Even my daughter — I want her to be a runner and swimmer. Because she's good at that, not because I'm pushing her. I think she runs like a gazelle (laughs). I run with her every evening or whenever we get time. I would like to encourage them and hope they start beating me. My dad did the same. Even in chess.

In your school magazine, you were the star sportsman in hockey, cricket and soccer.

Yeah, I was (grins) but now I don't play as well.

Which was your favourite?

I think I played hockey the best. Then I was a very good wicketkeeper and soccer came next. I wasn't very good at soccer, but I had stamina. You know midfield, running around, giving my life for the game.

Apparently you hated the beard in Chak De...

Yeah yeah, I don't like it. I've never grown a beard. You take a bath, but it doesn't make you look clean in the morning. My daughter wouldn't kiss me.

Yes, during Paheli they hated the moustache…

Yeah, I think my kids hate me with moustaches and beards. Next movie, I'm just going to wear an underwear over tights and be a superhero. They don't like me with all this stuff. I think they have an image of a father in the house who's easygoing and soft, clean-shaven. My daughter gets very disturbed. My son is very conscious of how I dress up. He doesn't like me wearing churidars and achkans. My daughter is very opinionated with my hair, beard, moustache. She'd say, 'I don't like it papa, I won't kiss you.' Even I don't like it. I like my cotton clothes and hair all ruffled.

What do they think of your long hair now?

My daughter is ok with it because she looks a lot more like me now. They don't mind my long hair. See once I bathe, it just flops in front. They like it.

How do youngsters treat sport today as opposed to when you were playing?

I would like my children to be sportspeople above actors, actresses or producers — if they chose to. I would be really proud. I feel proud when I see kids wearing studs on a soccer field. I go every Sunday now to play soccer. I take my son. I have this group that's very good — Dino and all — they allow me to play. I think I must be the oldest there so they are kind to me. I play with my kids — I'm now clearing up a place in my house and asking my wife if we can make a soccer field there. I play any game. I play pittoo with my children, breaking those stones.
You have to sweat in a day. I remember when I initially started doing movies, when I did Dilwale, I didn't think that I had done a good film because I hadn't sweated. It was a love story and I had never done one before that. You have to sweat everyday.

I make it a point to play an hour every day, even if it's Playstation in the night. In my house, we play dog and the bone, langdi, chor sipahi, soccer, badminton, everything. Except swimming, I'm not good at that. My kids are always sweating, always dirty — I love it. I believe kids till the age of 15 should be disheveled, dirty, sweaty, rolling in the mud and have marks all over them. And their shoes should always stink.

"Shikwa nahin kisise, kisise gila nahin,
Naseeb mein nahin tha jo - humko mila nahin
.."

IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dimple
post Aug 8 2007, 10:20 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Brand SRK in his new lean mean avataar talks about life with his favourite sports

It’s not often that Shah Rukh Khan chats about ordinary, everyday issues, but when he does, people strain their ears to listen. That’s the power of the Badshah.

After a long break, SRK is back in the thick of action, promoting his film Yash Raj’s Chak De and shooting for Om Shanti Om . What’s striking to the world at this point is SRK’s new lean look and long, unkempt hair.

He is looking visibly fitter and younger by the day. Some say I look good and others feel otherwise. When I look in the mirror, I see myself, good or bad.

My daughter Suhana says that when I don’t gel my hair, I look like her! And now my hairstylist is thinking of changing my look, King Khan said in mock exasperation over coffee with BT.

He explained his new avatar, so to say. I was on a vacation for a few months and so I just decided to grow my hair. And my lean look, well, I am working out more than ever now. I have taken up sports big time too, because it keeps me fit.

I have got Aryan and Suhana also into it. I am 42 and have to look after my body now, he said blushing.
Fitter yes, younger and hotter, certainly. Is that how he is planning to change the fate of Indian hockey through Chak D e?

Spare me! I don’t claim to change the world, the actor smiled, adding, Let’s put it this way, I started playing hockey for a few months because I love it. So if people see the film and take to playing hockey like me, well, it’ll be good.

Otherwise, no problem. He admits to be an ardent hockey player. I love hockey more than soccer. I have played it but not in big way.

Does he believe that hockey is one of the most neglected games in India? All games in India like kabbaddi, basketball, football, badminton, tennis, squash, and golf are neglected. And we grudge cricket because it is getting more importance than all other games put together.

On the contrary, we must applaud the fact that at least in one game India is doing relatively well, said SRK with conviction. Would he object if his son Aryan takes up hockey? Why Aryan, if my daughter Suhana wants to play hockey, I will be fine with it, he added.

He talked about Sanjay Dutt, the topic of hot discussion in Bollywood. Well, we all feel the same about him. Honestly, I am not exaggerating, but Sanju is one of the nicest guys I have known since I came to the industry.

He helped me immensely in every possible way when I was a newcomer. I owe him, said SRK of his friend, who he says is family to him. Whenever I asked him to come over, he would make a point to drop by for sometime, even if it was late in the night.

I cannot relate to anything bad about Sanjay. I have never seen his aggressive side or his famous temper. He has always been so mild mannered and sweet, it’s difficult to assume Sanju in any other form.

Destiny has its own plans for him, but we can only keep the faith. God looks after good people. I hope and pray that he gets out of this at the earliest.

.."

IPB Image
+Quote Post
IDOL
post Aug 9 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1583

ur his fan......................i see...........u can send him e-mail/add him.... at indyapeople.indya.com....i send him emails frequently tongue1.gif

.......................................................................IPB Image

+Quote Post
NATURE
post Aug 10 2007, 11:50 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2238

hey bhagwaan, ladkiyon ko khubsoorti ke saath thodi akal bhi dedo ... biggrin.gif

Jo Milte hain, voh nahi milte
Aur Jo Nahi Milte, Vohin Vaastav mein milte hai
Kaaran jo hai, voh nahi hai
Aur jo nahi hai, vohin hai.
Ye keval Shabdo ki heraa-pheri nahi hai
Aur heraa-pheri hain bhi
Yehin Darshan hai
Aur isi hone naa hone, milne naa milne ke beech mein
maayaa kaa samudra hai
+Quote Post
Dimple
post Aug 10 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Chak de India scores with UK fans

Published on Friday , August 10, 2007 at 11:07

London: It wasn't the usual star-studded red carpet affair, but the premiere of Shah Rukh Khan's Chak de India was one of the highlights of the on-going India Now festival in London.
For the crowd at Somerset House, many of them from Germany, it turned out to be a memorable meeting with the star.
“He has charm. His movies are great, the best from Bollywood,” said a German woman. Agreed another, “I like the visuals, the music and the emotions in his films.”
Chak de India sees Shah Rukh play a muslim coach of a women's hockey team. Its about patriotism in the new age, and according to the star - about doing your best, and living your dream.
“It’s wonderfully ironic that we are talking about Indian patriotism this in England. But patriotism doesn’t mean we don’t like other countries. We just say that our county is nice,” the actor said.
He also shared his experience of making the film.
"You ask any guy in the world how it is to shoot with 16 girls - he won't say anything he'll just keep smiling,” he quipped.

.."

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dimple
post Aug 10 2007, 01:36 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

He made India swoon.

Women couldn't resist SRK, the undisputed King of Bollywood romance.

Right from DDLY onwards, the superstar wooed his leading ladies with evervescent charm-and noone could quite handle a chessily worded ballad with as much panache as King Khan.

As for the chemistry, it was obvious: his actresses simply fell in love with him.

In recent times, we haven't been seeing much of that.

Love seems to be bugging SRK as he makes a bid for versatility, playing NASA engineers, ghosts and limping football coaches with no fidelty qualms.

And now,with CDI, the star plays a hockey coach to a group of women- but there isn't a heroine to be found.

Tell us, dear reader, are you dying to see SRK embrace romance again?

Wouldn't you just love to see him do the whole swiss Alps serenade again?
Or are you only too glad he's trying to reinvent himself?

.."

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dimple
post Aug 10 2007, 02:22 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Chak De London premier video

http://www.ibnlive.com/videos/46575/chak-d...th-uk-fans.html

.."

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dimple
post Aug 13 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

From conventional patriotism
By: Shradha Sukumaran
August 12, 2007 “Stories of our freedom struggle will always be there and every new generation will hear them... But those days are over when we were ruled by someone. Now the only thing ruling us is the economy. It’s good, but there are problems to be overcome. Like how we view women in society, goodness to mankind, peace not war…”
— Shah Rukh Khan mulls over contemporary interpretations of patriotism

You can be a nationalist in different ways. If you look at Chak De India, I think that sports itself inculcates a feeling of team spirit. It could be eleven players or two cyclists cycling together, but it’s the whole country that they’re representing.

The word may be patriotism, but it’s actually the team spirit of the country. Why do we get so excited when England lost to us recently? Why are we so excited that Zaheer Khan has overcome the jellybean problem?

It’s like all of us are going, ‘Those b******s!’ Actually, we don’t know, it could be that the jellybeans just fell down there. But we’re like, ‘Good, he screwed them!’ See, we’re a team now. One billion people are a team because of a jellybean.

“So it’s sometimes more than patriotism, it’s team spirit. It gets inculcated when you play sports. For example, Iraq is playing the Asia Cup — there has been no insurgency and fighting within Iraq in the last ten days.

Since it reached the quarterfinals, semifinals and won the finals. Because a country infested with fights, suddenly stops and says, ‘God, Iraq is winning the Asia Cup final!’ Team spirit can be looked at as patriotic and it’s not like Chak De India’s giving patriotism another face for youngsters. We’re giving team spirit that’s existed for years. And of course, our team is India and we have the colours of the tiranga.

“I would like the film to tell youngsters to play like a team, play for India. That means you’re patriotic. Don’t fight for the country. Play and win for India. That should be brought to youngsters’ notice.

A nice line of the movie is ‘Sometimes, winning is everything.’ That’s the mantra for youngsters. You can’t tell them, ‘Go to the Himalayas and get moksh. Let the world go by, it’s a material world.’ No! You have to exist in this world. There’s nothing wrong in winning.

“Stories of our freedom struggle will always be there and every new generation will hear them. Like you would tell your kids the Ramayana. I tell my kids the story of Prophet Mohammed.

Those stories will be there. But I guess movies like Lagaan, Swades, Lage Raho Munnabhai, Rang De Basanti, Chak De India tell us to be nationalistic in this way. Those days are over when we were ruled by someone. Now the only thing ruling us is the economy.

It’s good, but there are problems to be overcome. Like how we view women in society, goodness to mankind, peace not war and if you want to fight, fight on the play field. For all our problems with Pakistan, just have a cricket match!

“Chak De India is a younger, subtler take at patriotism. It may seem documentary-like — the youth may say, ‘Hey this is a nice way to make a film.’ It’s offbeat. It may be saying the same thing as other films, but Chak De India isn’t shoving it down my throat.

They are not trying to just say ‘Mera Bharat mahaan!’ Chak De India is like what youngsters are — wearing white t-shirts and jeans. It’s modern.

“It also has a take on the educated Indian Muslim. I’m playing a Muslim guy who isn’t a terrorist. I’ve never played a Muslim guy. The whole beauty is…see, these are the nuances… 16 women from different parts of the country.

Hindu, Muslim, Sikh, Gujarati, Jharkandi, Uttar Pradeshi, Bihari, Bengali, Tamil, Telugu and one Muslim man. Muslim men and women aren’t considered in such stories because purdah hota hai. But here is a Muslim man between 16 women wearing shorts and skirts and playing for only one goal and that is the country.

“I’m in the dressing room and they’re changing; I treat them like equals. I read a report recently that said, ‘16 women and Shah Rukh Khan’. My reason for doing Chak De India is if you could just forget that notion, that they’re women and I’m a guy.

And see, I’m usually a romantic hero! But there’s no sexuality here. I wanted that to come across. The idea is that he’s more obsessed with the honour of his country.

“I’m an actor. I’m very, very secular and noncommittal. I don’t know finally the religion of the character I’ve played. My characters don’t have religion. I believe that. I’ve played a Vir, Rahul, Raj, Kabir Khan.

The fact that it’s not important to me, I think, makes the point that I want to make. It’s Shah Rukh Khan and he’s playing a Muslim — it shouldn’t matter. Even the beard isn’t because he’s Muslim, but because he’s older and it’s 8-9 years later.

“Secularity is important. You don’t turn around and see what religion when you’re playing. When I’m going to win, I say my favourite Muslim prayer.

Everyone else says it and it feels good — you may not understand it, but you know it’s like the Gayatri mantra. Bhagwan ka naam aur Allah ko yaad kiya. What binds us together is godliness, not the religion. I want people to understand that.

“I don’t know if I can make that point through my work every time. Personally, I may believe whatever I do. Like I’ve always said, films are for entertainment, not for messages. I hope Chak De India is an entertainer and some of this message comes across.”
Shah Rukh Khan is the reigning box office star and his home production Om Shanti Om is “a movie about the movies

.."

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dimple
post Aug 14 2007, 11:19 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

http://www.zshare.net/download/311905889a2a7a/

Chakde India London premier download

.."

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dimple
post Aug 14 2007, 01:30 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Indian Hockey fraternity praises 'Chak De India'
14th Aug 2007 09.00 IST
By Agencies

At a time when hockey has been hitting the headlines for all the wrong reasons and the popularity has been slipping into a comatose state, Chak De India seems to have given a fresh lease of life to the national game.

Former players to octogenarian fans, who used to relish India's dominance in the game decades ago, are once again breathing pride about their passion and thronging the theatres with great enthusiasm.

And the born-optimists are hoping that the Shah Rukh Khan starrer would mark the revival of hockey's fortunes.

Loosely based on the life of former Indian goalkeeper Mir Ranjan Negi, who fell from grace after conceding seven goals against Pakistan in the 1982 Asian Games final but made a resounding comeback by coaching the 2002 Commonwealth Games gold winning women's team, the movie has won appreciation from former players and hockey lovers in one accord.

"It's a fantastic film. I think for the first time, a film on hockey has been made and it is an amazing piece of work," said Zafar Iqbal, captain of the 1982 Asiad silver winning Indian team.

"Although Kabir Khan (SRK's character) is a bit different from Negi, the film realistically portrays the pain the goalkeeper went through. I hope it has some positive effect on the game and the administrators alike, especially the Indian Hockey Federation President KPS Gill," he quipped.

Showering praise on SRK for his spellbinding performance, Iqbal said the film had no technical flaws.

"Shah Rukh has done a brilliant job considering that he was playing a very tough character of a hockey coach. His effort is applaudable, Iqbal said.

"Apart from him, several other characters also stand out. The girl who plays Komal Chautala from Haryana and that angry Punjabi girl were outstanding. The humour is well spread and the film as a whole is inspiring," he added.

The illustrious Harbinder Singh, who was a gold medallist in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics and played alongside the great Dhyan Chand, felt the filmmakers have made a brave attempt by choosing such an unconventional theme.

"'Chak De India' will have a very good effect on hockey. It would at least motivate the youth to take up the game. As for Negi, he must be a peaceful man now after all that he went through in 1982," he said.

Noted hockey writer K Arumugum was also impressed with the "brilliant" presentation of the game, which stopped looking glamorous ages ago.

"The cinematography is awe-inspiring. The matches are very beautifully shot and the performances of the actors make it a perfect entertainer.

"It is fictional, but it does show you what Negi may have gone through at that time. What I found most interesting was how the makers brought up issues like regional divide, ego clashes and the coach-player relationship in a team," he said.

The ardent hockey fan felt the game can benefit immensely from the film provided the administrators seize the opportunity.

"Everything about this film is brilliant. No technical flaws. A lot of research seems to have gone into it and it is sort of an opportunity for hockey to get back on its feet," he said.

.."

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dimple
post Aug 17 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

He’s the son of a freedom fighter, a self-made man, highly secular and hugely
successful…Shah Rukh Khan is arguably the perfect icon for the children of Free India
‘My dad, the freedom fighter’

My father passed away when I was 15. Before that, dad used to take me to meet a lot of freedom fighters who used to gather every weekend. These meetings had the likes of Atal Bihari Vajpayee and they used to discuss that era in such detail that it is all embedded in my memory. They would meet at places like Karol Bagh, Jama Masjid, drink kawa and chat. Dad used to talk to me like a friend and tell me about their freedom struggle - the time they spent in the jail, about partition and a whole lot of things.
I keep those memories close to my heart like a treasure. The children post my generation, like my own children, would be unfortunately completely out of touch. The best thing my dad taught me is never to dislike anyone. He not even once demeaned the status of the British, but at the same time he had absolute high regard for people like Subhash Chandra Bose and others. Dad would read out poems and explain it to me since I didn’t know Urdu. He just wanted me to be a part of that history, and thanks to him, I am.

‘Secularism is in your upbringing’
Secularism is something you learn at home. I was made to read the Koran at home. I learnt about Christianity in school. I was brought up in a Punjabi locality, literally brought up by the Aroras, Diwans and Chabras. I have all the practical knowledge about Hindu festivals. I married Gauri, a Hindu girl. I have had an absolutely normal childhood since children don’t believe in any religion. My parents were naturally secular. Today, I like to read to my kids about Prophet Mohammad, Ramayana and stories of Christianity.

‘I cannot afford to crib about India’
I like everything about India. I like the bad roads, pot holes, uncontrollable rains, corruption in places, the bad traffic…I like all that India offers. I am glad that India, unlike some foreign countries, is not mechanised. I am glad there is sadness and poverty in this country, which makes me understand how humane we are and how plastic some other countries are. I love coming to India from wherever I am. Dad used to say that lets be proud of what you have, because we make our own cars, ambassadors at that time, while lot many developed countries export cars.
I love being rooted to reality. At the end of the day, neither you nor I have had a rich lifestyle and most of us come from a lower middle class. I love the fact that that India is still so pure that we still get excited by smallest of things. Big cars and big homes don’t turn me on; I still get turned on by small pleasures like meeting friends and having a cosy dinner with them. Just the other day, some friends got together impromptu to celebrate the success of ‘Chak De’. It was so much better than a big impersonal party.

‘All we need is education’
We need educated youngsters who believe in the winning mantra. When I was much younger, I trained for parachute jumping for my television serial ‘Fauji’. I had to jump across ten feet, but my trainer would say learn to jump 80 feet, only then you will be able to manage 15 feet. So, we all need to aim higher and for that, education is a must. Not all of us will get ready made opportunities, but we need to aim for the best. There is no harm in being materialistic. For one to lead a comfortable life, one has to be materialistic and aim for success. I truly believe in winning at all costs except dishonesty.

.."

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dimple
post Aug 17 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

Shah Rukh Khan on Lead India

What makes a leader? I’d say, really good acting skills. The most effective way to lead is not to show that you are doing it. People hate being told what to do, and what not to do. No one likes to be led by the nose. You must not make them feel you are the boss, guide, whatever. You just have to carry people along with compassion, love, and not least of all, a sense of humour. In fact, not only should others not feel the burden of your leadership, the leader himself should lead without realising it, without donning the grand mantle of setting some maha example. Achievement is the destination, leadership is showing the way to it.

Secondly, I’ve seen that every true leader treats people well. That’s crucial. You can get away by treating some people badly some of the time, but you cannot make a practice of it. I’d say the best leadership is like parenting. You don’t have to instil awe; you should create loving respect.

Thirdly, you have to have focus. But it is important that the leader’s focus does not become heavy, aggressive, pressuring, troubling, aggravating for others. You should do the planning and what you have to do, and then leave everyone to get on with his or her part of it. It’s most important to believe in everyone else as much as you do in yourself. It’s your team. You’ve chosen it. The people on it should be good, right?

I know that the film industry gets a great deal of flak for not putting itself in a leadership role. On the contrary, it is accused of sending the wrong signals, as happened in recent cases. We are constantly told ‘you guys should be doing so much more considering the extraordinary, even
absurd, influence you wield’. But, when people say ‘industry’, it should encompass all media: not just films, but newspapers, magazines, TV, radio, the works.

Everyone in this multifaceted industry must work together on providing the right leadership. But everyone functions as an independent segment, does whatever it wants to. Besides, at the end of the day, we are just doing a job. We are an industry like any other. We are all in a commercial state of mind. We don’t take all this importance upon ourselves.

I understand that, yes, I should be taking up real-time roles, but I’m an actor. I know what to do when I’m acting. However, I need to be told how to play the roles which set an example, or use my position for the larger good. I am truly glad and proud that the Times group asked me to do this film to kick off their Leadership campaign. If you think I am a youth icon, use me by all means.

In the Times campaign, my role is to lead people into action. It’s about getting up and doing whatever it takes. I did not think of this as lines in a script. It is 100% my personal belief. I am not a thinker. I’ll read about something, and do it.

Even if I know the outcome will not be what it should, I have to physically work it out myself. It’s fantastic if you get it right. But it’s equally all right if you get it wrong. Just do it. That’s what I tell my son and my daughter. There’s always a second time to get it right. I simply don’t believe in not doing anything because you are afraid it won’t work out as planned. For leaders as for followers, there should be no don’ts; just do it

.."

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dimple
post Aug 22 2007, 10:39 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Tracking the trajectory of a superstar is always a fascinating sport. In Shah Rukh Khan’s case, timing, it would seem, is everything. Or nearly. The man gets it right most of the time, beating the law of averages and leading people to believe he is indeed Allah’s chosen one. A man with an important agenda (to save Islam and restore its tarnished glory). SRK is not just an actor but an influential agent for change.

Over the past few years, his determination to extend the boundaries, explore new territories and work towards a plan, has become apparent in nearly every undertaking of his. Though he strenuously denies having political ambitions, his recent pronouncements and actions suggest to the contrary. It is as if he has taken a studied approach to the strategy, pondered hard and long and is now testing the waters... getting his toes wet before taking the plunge. Unlike Amitabh Bachchan, who dived straight into the deep end with disastrous consequences, SRK, ever the cool customer, is keeping ’em guessing.

But a closer examination of his moves indicates he is ready for a spectacular debut. He has always claimed without a trace of embarrassment, “i am the best.” It is this non-apologetic, in-your-face braggadocio that has served him well as an actor. Chances are, it will see him through the next phase of the dual career that beckons.... Netagiri will suit him. It may well turn out to be his most significant role ever.

Shah Rukh Khan is the Neo-Mussalman India has been waiting for. He wears his religion unabashedly on his sleeve and has referred to himself as ‘an ambassador for Allah’ in a recent interview. It is significant that he has switched from being a Raj, Rahul or Jai in his films and now prefers to be known as Kabir Khan (Chak De! India).

Film industry gossip insists he has influenced his friend Karan Johar to name his next blockbuster , My Name is Khan, which is reportedly a New York-based film on terrorism and racial stereotyping, post 9/11. He has said in countless recent interviews that he is determined to challenge the international stereotype of every Muslim being a fundamentalist, terrorist or a hate-filled jehadi.

His most recent hit (Chak De...), pretty much encapsulates his personal sentiments, which may be why he has delivered such a convincing performance as a Muslim coach, battling old demons of prejudice, hatred and suspicion. The pained expression in his eyes says it all in the last scene when he firmly shuts the door on his tainted past after regaining his reputation and self-respect. It is impossible to ignore the subtext and merely applaud the actor’s histrionics.

Over the past few years, SRK-watchers have monitored his every ‘aadab’ and ‘salaam alaikum’ at high profile events and commented that he no longer greets fans or anybody else, with the more traditional ‘namastey’. He also makes it a point to acknowledge ‘Khudaa’s’ grace and blessings, each time he is complimented, besides vociferously articulating his feelings about the misrepresentation of Islam. These sentiments are heartfelt and undoubtedly sincere. They all add up to a whole when seen in a larger, political context.

If SRK does contest an election in, say, Uttar Pradesh, he’ll win hands down. That’s a given. But will he, unlike some of his other film industry colleagues, succeed as a neta? Be the leader India’s young are desperately in search of? Chances are, he will. SRK has what it takes to be a 21st century politician, in the international mould. He is young, wealthy, successful and sharp. Like Obama. Above all, he has a dream. He is a man on a very special mission.

As a modern Muslim, he has risen beyond the suffocating confines of religious narrow mindedness (his wife Gauri, is Hindu). SRK is India’s Big Brown Hope. He should go for it. And... his time starts now!

.."

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dimple
post Aug 22 2007, 02:23 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

SRK as Gautam Buddha?
21 Aug, 2007 07:38 pm IST
Print Save EMail Write to Editor

Post Chak De , Shah Rukh Khan is back in circulation (when was he out?). Finally he has been able to bid goodbye to his proverbial lover boy image and don on a more mature look and role. And now a l'll birdie gave us some inside gupshup which says that King Khan has been approached to play the role of Gautam Buddha in a forthcoming mega dollar project. It's a joint Indo- Sri Lankan project and it's rumoured that Shah Rukh Khan is one of the front runners to play Gautam Buddha in the film to be directed by veteran filmmaker Shyam Benegal. Thought nothing has been officially confirmed, our lips are also sealed until the mega million dollar project is ready to roll.

.."

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dimple
post Aug 23 2007, 12:21 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Will Shah Rukh Khan play KBC host in Trainspotting director Danny Boyle's next, Slumdog Millionaire?
Shah Rukh KhanI all goes well, Shah Rukh Khan will be seen in British filmmaker Danny Boyle's next film, Slumdog Millionaire. Danny Boyle, who has made popular films like The Beach, A Life Less Ordinary and Trainspotting, is in talks with Khan as he starts filming later this year.

The film revolves around an 18-year-old illiterate slum kid (Aamir) who is doing extremely well on Kaun Banega Crorepati. However, the producers, cops and viewers are convinced that he has used nefarious ways to get the right answers. Meanwhile, Aamir remains unfazed as he participated in the show only to re-establish contact with his lost girlfriend (Latika). Latika religiously watches the show and Aamir hopes to get her back through the show.

While Boyle's casting agents and co-producers are currently auditioning a bunch of theatre actors for the film. Boyle has already met Shah Rukh during his last visit in the city in April. But Shah Rukh is yet to give an assent to the film say sources. The film will be completely shot in Asia's largest slum Dharavi and will feature only Indian actors.

Danny BoyleObviously, SRK will be seen quizzing a young Aamir who will take the hot seat. Major sequences of the film will have Aamir fielding questions and getting backslaps from the host. Says a source, “Boyle approached Shah Rukh because he was the real-life host on the show, and he will also host the next season of Kaun Banega Crorepati.”

Shah Rukh Khan was not available for comment.

.."

IPB Image
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:00 PM