Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Aliens

, Are we alone in this Universe?

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aliens, Are we alone in this Universe?
vivekpm
post Jul 19 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 120

Aliens!!! This is the topic which intrigues me everytime I ponder upon it...

I used to run SETI sometime back hoping that I would some day help in making contacts with extra-terrestial creatures smile1.gif.

Would like to invite talks on this topic. One thing that I have always wondered is why have most, if not all, research on aliens concentrated in finding possible places in universe which can support life, that is, which has water in some form, sustainable temperatures etc...? Is it not possible that the definition of life can be different for aliens? I mean they may not require water at all. They may sustain only at 1000+ temperatures or at sub-zero temperatures. Why is this not possible? After all, the notion that to sustain life we need favourable conditions like presence of water etc., is concieved by us. For aliens, "favourable conditions" may be different.

Would request anyone who has done some reading on this to please throw more lights and possibly supply pointers to good research material...

Cheers,
Vivek...

PS: Thanks NimmiJi for this new forum...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mandrake
post Jul 20 2005, 08:50 AM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2066

Vivek, good point.

However, when earth-scientists scour the universe, they are looking for planets that have more or less identical conditions to planet earth as we know of it today. This is because they feel that identical conditions will hopefully produce identical life-forms, meaning, we might find an image of ourselves there.

The reason for the search of such life-forms is the hope that communications might be that much easier. Also, in case inter-planetary space travel permits physical travel to these planets, then the acclimatisation will not be an issue.

It is beyond doubt that such planets exist, as also planets with alternative life-forms.
It is only a matter of time before they are found.

Or they find us first.

Self - belief is the most potent force.
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Jul 20 2005, 08:56 AM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Instead of finding a place to live with the current resources.. mebbe we should find how a man can adapt to the new environment.. mutating the man to requirements of the new environment.

Phew! Sounds like a Robin Cook book biggrin.gif

N smile1.gif
+Quote Post
Chitralekha
post Jul 20 2005, 08:57 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 13

The biggest proof that there is intelligent life living out there in the universe other than us is that they have never tried to contact us. wink2.gif biggrin.gif lol
+Quote Post
vivekpm
post Jul 20 2005, 03:00 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mandrake @ Jul 20 2005, 08:50 AM)
Vivek, good point.

However, when earth-scientists scour the universe, they are looking for planets that have more or less identical conditions to planet earth as we know of it today. This is because they feel that identical conditions will hopefully produce identical life-forms, meaning, we might find an image of ourselves there.

The reason for the search of such life-forms is the hope that communications might be that much easier. Also, in case inter-planetary space travel permits physical travel to these planets, then the acclimatisation will not be an issue.

It is beyond doubt that such planets exist, as also planets with alternative life-forms.
It is only a matter of time before they are found.

Or they find us first.

Good explaination Mandrake...

One more point that I keep wondering is, say someday, we catch some kind of a signal from aliens, there is a probability that given the distance such signals could have been sent to us hundreds of years back... and what if due to some activity they are now extinct..

Cheers,

V i V e K ...

--------------------------------------------

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
-- Will Durant

+Quote Post
Mandrake
post Jul 20 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

If they are extinct, tough luck.

But if they are not, just imagine...

They sent us a signal/s hundreds of years back, when they were already advanced. Today, if they receive our reply, and they still exist, they will be far more advanced.
So they can understand our reply, decipher it, locate us, and reach us - in a way that is still beyond us, as our space travel abilities are far too primitive.

FYI, NASA has beamed out a coded signal since 1975 (or around that time), indicating our location, our (man's) existence and our technological ability. It is coded, and not obvious, for 2 reasons:
1. If there is a more intelligent species out there, they may be able to interpret it and try and respond.
2. If the species is predatory, the assumption is that they may not be intellectually advanced. This MIGHT avert the possibility of them searching us out with the intention of attacking us.
It is assumed that if an alien species has the ability to find us, reach us and attack us, we may not have the wherewithall to defend ourselves.

I don't need to tell you, but this signal communication between two species on different planets is termed 'encounter of the first kind'.

+Quote Post
YaarMere
post Jul 20 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 5

Wot abt Area51 n Roswell, is there any truth to those stories?

IPB Image
+Quote Post
vivekpm
post Jul 20 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mandrake @ Jul 20 2005, 03:47 PM)
If they are extinct, tough luck.

But if they are not, just imagine...

They sent us a signal/s hundreds of years back, when they were already advanced. Today, if they receive our reply, and they still exist, they will be far more advanced.
So they can understand our reply, decipher it, locate us, and reach us - in a way that is still beyond us, as our space travel abilities are far too primitive.

FYI, NASA has beamed out a coded signal since 1975 (or around that time), indicating our location, our (man's) existence and our technological ability. It is coded, and not obvious, for 2 reasons:
1. If there is a more intelligent species out there, they may be able to interpret it and try and respond.
2. If the species is predatory, the assumption is that they may not be intellectually advanced. This MIGHT avert the possibility of them searching us out with the intention of attacking us.
It is assumed that if an alien species has the ability to find us, reach us and attack us, we may not have the wherewithall to defend ourselves.

I don't need to tell you, but this signal communication between two species on different planets is termed 'encounter of the first kind'.

Mandrake, you have brought to light one more interesting point, what if they are superior to us? On they finding us or we finding them it may create trouble...

Cheers,

V i V e K ...

-- Will Durant

+Quote Post
tusharhaldanker82
post Jul 22 2005, 02:19 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 1668

Our universe is so large that this discussion can go on forever.
Its better we assume that Earth is the only place in the universe where life exists. And thats what make Earth so unique.

TUSHAR
+Quote Post
vivekpm
post Jul 22 2005, 09:49 AM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(tusharhaldanker82 @ Jul 22 2005, 02:19 AM)
Our universe is so large that this discussion can go on forever.
Its better we assume that Earth is the only place in the universe where life exists. And  thats what make Earth so unique.

True Tushar that universe is infinite. But the quest to know more about it makes us human beings different from other living creatures on this planet smile1.gif

Creator made this earth unique and gave intelligence only to us so why not make use of it? What say?

Cheers,

V i V e K ...

-- Will Durant

+Quote Post
Mandrake
post Jul 22 2005, 12:16 PM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Vivek, it is an educated guess that if they find us, in all probablity they WILL be superior to us - at least technologically. (Here the stress is on FIND, not 'stumble upon us accidentally'.)

To locate a planet that harbours some kind of life, reach that planet, and establish any kind of contact - is only possible with advanced knowledge of space and space travel.

With the space knowledge of the Western world barely 400 years old, I believe we have a long, long way to go before we can attempt manned space flights to even Mars - forget other extra-solar planets.

+Quote Post
suhana_safar
post Jul 22 2005, 12:48 PM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6838

As a child I used to think we are alone but now I think we are not.

This is beacuse the world has changed so much for the worst. There are so many in human barbaric beasts between us, those who cant be classified as humans.

If ther are any aliens out ther reading my email then please dont be like us.

You are better of the way you are!!

PLAYBACK SINGING STARTS AND ENDS WITH RAFISAAB. IN TERMS OF QUALITY, CONSISTENCY & VERSATILITY, RAFISAAB IS INFINITE LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF ALL SINGERS BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER HIM.
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Jul 22 2005, 12:50 PM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

But then SS u never know.. they may be juz functioning like machines.. no emotions sad1.gif

We are better off than that dont you think so?

N ?
+Quote Post
suhana_safar
post Jul 22 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6838

QUOTE(Nimii @ Jul 22 2005, 12:50 PM)
But then SS u never know.. they may be juz functioning like machines.. no emotions sad1.gif

We are better off than that dont you think so?

N ?

Nimmi

I know what you are trying to say. But where are the emotions and of what use are they when

* Several Million children die every year due to lack of basic necessities

* Several million people live in complete poverty

* Several millions are killed in name of of those jazzy words that really mean nothing at the end of the day

* The divide betwen rich and poor goes on extending up the second

* The environment is being abused due to commercial hunger.........

* People are being oprresesed, tortutured and muredered everyday

* People marching for peace and brotherhood are termed as un-patriotic & cowards

I can go on....the list is endless.

I would prefer machines if they don't do the above.

PLAYBACK SINGING STARTS AND ENDS WITH RAFISAAB. IN TERMS OF QUALITY, CONSISTENCY & VERSATILITY, RAFISAAB IS INFINITE LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF ALL SINGERS BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER HIM.
+Quote Post
vivekpm
post Jul 22 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Mandrake @ Jul 22 2005, 12:16 PM)
Vivek, it is an educated guess that if they find us, in all probablity they WILL be superior to us - at least technologically. (Here the stress is on FIND, not 'stumble upon us accidentally'.)

To locate a planet that harbours some kind of life, reach that planet, and establish any kind of contact - is only possible with advanced knowledge of space and space travel.

With the space knowledge of the Western world barely 400 years old, I believe we have a long, long way to go before we can attempt manned space flights to even Mars - forget other extra-solar planets.

Yes Mandrake. Long way to go before we meet someone not belonging to this planet...

Cheers,

V i V e K ...

-- Will Durant

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:54 PM