Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Why Did Noor Jehan Help Out Mohammed Rafi?

, I'll always love her for it!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Did Noor Jehan Help Out Mohammed Rafi?, I'll always love her for it!
Unregistered_050208
post Jul 20 2007, 07:22 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

Guys: it was Noor Jehan who convinced some music director in 1940s and persisted till the MD gave it a shot. As a result, Rafi Sahab sang that duet with her and he became better known at the time. I'll always love her for this good deed. Why did she do it? Were she and Rafi friends or did she recognize Rafi's talent early or what? Please elaborate on this beautiful story.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
venkat
post Jul 20 2007, 08:42 AM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6841

QUOTE(ManishKumar @ Jul 20 2007, 07:22 AM) *

Guys: it was Noor Jehan who convinced some music director in 1940s and persisted till the MD gave it a shot. As a result, Rafi Sahab sang that duet with her and he became better known at the time. I'll always love her for this good deed. Why did she do it? Were she and Rafi friends or did she recognize Rafi's talent early or what? Please elaborate on this beautiful story.

Your topic's title reads somewhat like this:

"Why Did Manishkumar Help Roger Federer?"

Venkat

I have changed many views in life since my childhood, but not my view of Rafi Saab as the God-sent Gandharva who visited this Earth briefly to spread ultimate ecstasy among genuine music-lovers!

Mohammed Rafi: Highest Quantity Of Greatest Quality In Mind-boggling Variety!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
noorie
post Jul 20 2007, 08:48 AM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
Member No.: 6518

QUOTE(venkat @ Jul 20 2007, 08:42 AM) *

Venkat

biggrin.gif

IPB Image

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"

"You have enemies? Good! It means that you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
+Quote Post
Unregistered_050208
post Jul 20 2007, 08:51 AM
Post #4

Unregistered

QUOTE(venkat @ Jul 20 2007, 08:42 AM) *

Venkat

I didn't mean it like that. I'm not saying that it was Noor Jehan who MADE Rafi or that without her he wouldn't go on to be one of the most loved singers of all times. It is just a beautiful deed and I want the details. It couldn't be just a random thing - she had to go out of her way to convince the reluctant MD to take Rafi Sahab who wasn't as famous at the time - so there is something to it and I want to know what. It's a pleasant story to talk about. I also read somewhere that this did make Rafi Sahab more popular as he was starting off. Don't underestimate the little contributions of fellow actors, MDs, singers, producers, etc. - they were all important in making Mohammed Rafi as unbelievably great as he was.

From mohdrafi.com: This anecdote was provided by Ms. Nalini Ramji

"In the early days, when Rafi was trying to establish himself, Firoze Nizami composed a duet between Noorjehan and G.M.Durrani, for ‘Jugnu’. However, Noorjehan persuaded Firoze Nizami to use Rafi instead of G.M.Durrani. The song, Yahan Badla Wafa Ka became a super hit quickly brought Rafi into the limelight.

Even when a singer sings under a famous MD like Naushad - it can time time for them to get a break. When Udit Narayan was lucky to sing with Rafi under Rajesh Roshan - fame didn't hit till 1988. I don't have my source but I recall somewhere that despite Rafi's introductions to Naushad and Nizami - he was obviously not as well established as GM Durrani and so the MD was iffy between this newcomer vs GM Durrani (who Rafi looked up to?). Thank to this, we have a duet between Rafi & Noor Jehan. Much appreciated!
+Quote Post
venkat
post Jul 20 2007, 02:37 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Manish,

If you were really seeking information that you did not know, you should have asked "Did Noorjehan help out Mohammed Rafi?", rather than "Why did Noorjehan help out-----?" By your topic's question, you are sure she did! You only want to know why!

However, I do appreciate your Rafi-centred curiosity and hence am giving this information.

The particular Noorjehan-Rafi Saab duet (the lone one by the pair) that you are referring to as "Rafi Sahab sang that duet with her" is: "Yahan Badla Wafa Ka Bewafayi Ke Siwa Kya Hai" from FIlm:Jugnu(1947), composed by MD:Feroze Nizami.

Now, Rafi Saab had already sung at least 3 solos for Feroze Nizami even as early as 1945 for Film:Sharbati Aankhein and 3 more solos for Feroze Nizami himself in 1946 for Film:Amar Raaj! So, there is no question of Noorjehan introducing Rafi Saab to Feroze Nizami during Jugnu (1947), much less 'persisting' until he gave him a chance to sing with her!

Also, for your info., Rafi Saab had first sung a solo for Naushad Saab in Film:Pehle Aap even in 1944!

However, your duet is significant to the extent that it is said to be the first hit and popular song by Rafi Saab.

Also, incidentally, Noorjehan admired Rafi Saab's talent prior to 1947 and also after 1947 when she migrated to Pakistan. During 1984 or so, Noorjehan made a visit to Mumbai (said to be her first after migrating to Pakistan), during which she gave an interview to Radio. I was fortunate to have heard that interview. She said "Rafi Saab ke Guzar Jaane Ki Khabar Sun Ke Badi Gham Huyi" and went on to say that she always enjoyed listening to his songs.

Your co-Rafi-fan,

Venkat

PS. Much before Jugnu(1947), Rafi Saab had also sung solos for Films: Zeenat(1945), Anmol Ghadi(1946), Bachhon Ka Khel (1946), Ghoonghat (1946), Hawaayi Khatola(1946), Maansarowar(1946), Mera Geet (1946), Rangabhoomi (1946), Room Number 9 (1946), Safar (1946) and Sona Chandi (1946), for various other MDs!

I have changed many views in life since my childhood, but not my view of Rafi Saab as the God-sent Gandharva who visited this Earth briefly to spread ultimate ecstasy among genuine music-lovers!

+Quote Post
shabi
post Jul 20 2007, 07:44 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 10105

you are right wot you are saying because noor jahan husband made or directed the film GULBALOCH and they wanted MOHD RAFI to sing in that first title and GULBALOCH was a pakistani film made in LAHORE and i know pakistan was not made then it was still india but beacuse of the director was a muslim and it was made in lahore they say it was a pakistani film because of the actors that were in the film so it was noor jahan and the blessing of the fakir who gave to rafi saab at the time and the most important of all Allah who made his manzil Mashallah
+Quote Post
venkat
post Jul 20 2007, 08:03 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(shabi @ Jul 20 2007, 07:44 PM) *

you are right wot you are saying because noor jahan husband made or directed the film GULBALOCH and they wanted MOHD RAFI to sing in that first title and GULBALOCH was a pakistani film made in LAHORE and i know pakistan was not made then it was still india but beacuse of the director was a muslim and it was made in lahore they say it was a pakistani film because of the actors that were in the film so it was noor jahan and the blessing of the fakir who gave to rafi saab at the time and the most important of all Allah who made his manzil Mashallah

Thank you, Shabi Ji, for reminding us of this. Acording to my info., Gulbaloch (1940) was a Punjabi film. The MD was Shyam Sunder. Thus, the first ever song sung by Rafi Saab appears to be a Punjabi duet with co-singer, Zeenat Begum! "Soniye Nee Heeriye Nee, Teri Yaad Ne Bahut Sataaya"

I cannot disagree that Noorjehan had great respect for Rafi Saab's talent and must have always wished him well!

Venkat

+Quote Post
nasir
post Jul 20 2007, 10:00 PM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 5763

QUOTE(shabi @ Jul 20 2007, 07:44 PM) *

Just a historical correction.
It would not be right to refer to the sub-continent as India or Pakistan as they were prior to 1947. Pancholi Theatres were ruling the roost in Lahore prior to independence from the British rules. Dalsukh M. Pancholi (1906-59) was born in Karachi. Dalsukh studied script-writing and cinematography at New York. He expanded the film distribution network started by his father during the First World War and became the largest importer of American motion pictures in northern and western India. His first feature was a Punjabi film Gul Bakavli, released in 1938. It marked the debut of child star Noor Jehan as a singer in films. One of the two compositions of Ghulam Haider, Shala Jawania, was cheered all over Punjab and earned a name for its singer. Pancholi also offered Shaukat Hussain Rizvi his directorial debut in Khandan. It was, according to the local cinema genre, a Muslim social film. Noor Jehan and Pran were paired in this film as heroine and hero. Khandan featured some of Ghulam Haider's refreshing tunes sung in the melodious voice of Noor Jehan.

Seth Pancholi then gave another super hit, Daasi, which saw the first appearance of Om Parkash and G.N. Butt. Najmul Hasan was the hero with Raagini in the female lead. Direction was by Haran Bose, called from Calcutta, and film had music by Pandit Amarnath. Other less important films followed; and then came Gul Baloch (Punjabi), a film made in 1943-44 which was comedian Nazar's first film. Music was by Shyam Sunder. It also introduced Mohammad Rafi as a playback singer.

Pancholi fled to Bombay when communal riots erupted in most parts of the subcontinent at the time of independence. Post independence signalled the emergence of Bombay as the city of films.

NASIR.

NASIR
Teri Khushi me.n Khush Tera banda khidmatgaar hai,
Banda hoo.n mai.n Tera Tuu mera Parwardigaar hai
+Quote Post
Inaam
post Jul 20 2007, 10:55 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 187

Madam Noor Jehan and Rafi Sahab both were from Lahore and it is true that she had a great respect for Rafi Saab's talent, I have an interview of her on VHS, where she is talking about Rafi Sahab.
+Quote Post
venkat
post Jul 21 2007, 08:34 AM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Friends,

I just heard on Vividhbharati this beautiful Noorjehan solo from Film:Dost(1944).

"Badnaam, Badnaam Mohabbat Kaun Kare"---Film:Dost(1964)---MD:Sajjad Hussain the Great---Noorjehan

Could someone kindly upload this please?

Venkat

+Quote Post
venkat
post Jul 21 2007, 08:37 AM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Inaam @ Jul 20 2007, 10:55 PM) *

Madam Noor Jehan and Rafi Sahab both were from Lahore and it is true that she had a great respect for Rafi Saab's talent, I have an interview of her on VHS, where she is talking about Rafi Sahab.

Inam Ji,

Please upload this interview, if possible.

Venkat

+Quote Post
Inaam
post Jul 21 2007, 03:39 PM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(venkat @ Jul 21 2007, 08:34 AM) *

Friends,

I just heard on Vividhbharati this beautiful Noorjehan solo from Film:Dost(1944).

"Badnaam, Badnaam Mohabbat Kaun Kare"---Film:Dost(1964)---MD:Sajjad Hussain the Great---Noorjehan

Venkat

Here u are, Venkat Ji smile1.gif
Enjoy!

Badnam Mohabbat Kaun Kare
Film: Dost
Year: 1946
MD: Sajjad Hussain
Lyrics: Shams Lakhnavi
mp3pro 120kpbs

+Quote Post
Inaam
post Jul 21 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(venkat @ Jul 21 2007, 08:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Inaam @ Jul 20 2007, 10:55 PM) *

Inam Ji,

Please upload this interview, if possible.

Venkat

As I mentioned in my post, I have that interview on VHS. Will try to convert it. tongue1.gif

+Quote Post
venkat
post Jul 21 2007, 04:06 PM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Inaam @ Jul 21 2007, 03:39 PM) *

QUOTE(venkat @ Jul 21 2007, 08:34 AM) *

Friends,

Venkat

Here u are, Venkat Ji smile1.gif
Enjoy!

Badnam Mohabbat Kaun Kare
Film: Dost
Year: 1946
MD: Sajjad Hussain
Lyrics: Shams Lakhnavi
mp3pro 120kpbs

Inam Ji, many thanks for this beautiful "Badddnaam, Badnaam Mohabbat Kaun Kare eeeeeeee" song. A typical Sajjad composition!

Reminds me of "Dil Mein Sama Gaye Sajan, Phool Khile Chaman Chaman" (Lata and Talat) song from Film:Sangdil also of Sajjad Hussein!

Venkat

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:06 AM