Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Annamayya Keertanalu

25 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Annamayya Keertanalu
swarapriya
post Feb 2 2010, 06:26 AM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Angels
Member No.: 36307

Annamayya Keertanalu

Sri Tallapaka Annamacharya, popularly known as Annamayya, was born in early 1400’s (1408) and composed thousands of keertans in praise of Lord Venkateshwara (Lord Vishnu also known as Balaji). He was one of the prolific writer and composer of the keertans. It is estimated that he wrote and composed music for over 32,000 keertans. His musical composition style strongly influenced carnatic music.

He came from a background of poets. His wife was a poetess and wrote a book of poems and is considered to be the first Telugu speaking woman to publish. His son and grandson were also famous music composers. Annamayya, who lived to be 94 years old (passed away in 1503), spent most of his life at the Balaji temple in Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh. He used copper plates to engrave his keertans. Only 12,000 of these were discovered concealed in a small room close to where the Balaji idol is. It is believed that the rest of the engravements are lost forever by those who melted them for profit.

Titumala Tirupati Devsthanam (TTD) is actively trying to make all the keertans (12,000 of them) available to the public. Various artistes have taken the keertans and have sang them in classical style. One of the prominent personality who is deeply involved in this is Garimella Balakrishna Prasad. Working with TTD, he already has released over 600 songs, all done in classical style.

Annamayya’s keertans fall into two categories; aadhyaatma (spiritual) and shringaara (romantic). Most of these are in praise of either Balaji or Govinda (Lord Krishna), both different forms of Lord Vishnu. In the next few weeks I will try to bring some of this work to you.

(By the way, there are several pictures of Annamayya available on the Internet. But the ones I found all had a possible copyright warning with them. If anyone of you can, please share a picture here. Thanks.)

In 1999, a popular Telugu movie was made on the life of Annamayya. Though it was not a completely accurate depiction of Annamayya’s life, the movie was responsible to spur the interest of general public, that includes myself, to know more about his work. Before we start on the keertans, I will upload songs from this movie first. There are some great songs in this movie and we will start this thread with these songs first …

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Feb 2 2010, 07:07 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Feb 2 2010, 06:42 AM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Annamayya (1997)

This movie, though historically inaccurate, yet spurred much interest in Annamayya and his writings. The movie, with its music by Keeravani, has some greats music and beautiful songs. Most songs are actually keertans written by Annamayya himself.

I will upload these songs as a precursor to actual keertans by various other singers in back-to-back two posts. All these songs are from a CD.

Here is the first set of songs ...

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Feb 2 2010, 06:52 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Feb 2 2010, 06:59 AM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Concluding Songs of "Annamayya (1997)" ...

Here are the rest of the songs from this beautiful musical album ...

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Feb 2 2010, 07:05 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
venkat
post Feb 2 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6841

By far, the best rendition of Annamayya keertanalu was by Late Srirangam Gopalaratnam, a highly gifted exponent of Carnatic classical music! Wonder whether anyone has those to upload!! rolleyes.gif

Venkat

I have changed many views in life since my childhood, but not my view of Rafi Saab as the God-sent Gandharva who visited this Earth briefly to spread ultimate ecstasy among genuine music-lovers!

Mohammed Rafi: Highest Quantity Of Greatest Quality In Mind-boggling Variety!!!
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Feb 2 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(venkat @ Feb 1 2010, 06:15 PM) *

By far, the best rendition of Annamayya keertanalu was by Late Srirangam Gopalaratnam, a highly gifted exponent of Carnatic classical music! Wonder whether anyone has those to upload!! rolleyes.gif

Venkat

I have eight of them. I will upload them in a short order. Cheers. -S
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Feb 3 2010, 02:13 AM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Sri Tallapaka Annamacharya Keertanalu

This album consists of eight beautiful Annamayya keertans sung by the great lady Srirangam Gopala Ratnam. I will upload them in back-to-back two posts. Here is the first set of keertans ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Feb 3 2010, 02:42 AM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Concluding "Sri Tallapaka Annamacharya Keertanalu" ...

Here are the rest of the keertans from this album by the great Srirangam Gopala Ratnam ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
venkat
post Feb 3 2010, 02:35 PM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Many many sincere thanks, Swarapriya, for these great uploads of Srirangam Gopalaratnam! smile.gif

Lord Venkateswara comes before your closed eyes when you hear her rendition especially of "Sakalam Hey Sakhi" and "Namo Narayana Na Vinnapamidigo"!! rolleyes.gif

There is one thing that I always wanted to know, but was afraid to ask!! Are you a Telugu-speaking person?

Ignore if you do not want to answer. unsure.gif

Venkat

This post has been edited by venkat: Feb 3 2010, 02:39 PM

I have changed many views in life since my childhood, but not my view of Rafi Saab as the God-sent Gandharva who visited this Earth briefly to spread ultimate ecstasy among genuine music-lovers!

+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Feb 4 2010, 01:10 AM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(venkat @ Feb 3 2010, 01:05 AM) *

Many many sincere thanks, Swarapriya, for these great uploads of Srirangam Gopalaratnam! smile.gif

Lord Venkateswara comes before your closed eyes when you hear her rendition especially of "Sakalam Hey Sakhi" and "Namo Narayana Na Vinnapamidigo"!! rolleyes.gif

There is one thing that I always wanted to know, but was afraid to ask!! Are you a Telugu-speaking person?

Ignore if you do not want to answer. unsure.gif

Venkat

You'e very much welcome, Venkat. I will upload another album of Smt. Ratnam in a short order.

No problem in asking. Yes, Venkat, my mother tongue is Telugu. But like rest of the members of this Forum of ours, music is my language too.

Cheers,
Swarapriya
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Feb 4 2010, 01:28 AM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Annamayya Pada Soundaryamu

Here is another great album of Smt. Ratnam. There are 12 keertans in this. I will upload them in two back-to-back posts. Here is the first set of keertans ...

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Feb 4 2010, 01:36 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Feb 4 2010, 01:47 AM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Concluding Keertans of "Annamayya Pada Soundaryamu" ...

Here are the rest of the keertans of this album by the great Srirangam Gopala Ratnam ...

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Feb 4 2010, 03:32 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
venkat
post Feb 4 2010, 08:00 AM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Thank you, SP.

Shall download the second album of Smt. Srirangam Gopalaratnam at some leisure as such feasts are meant to be savored that way!! smile.gif

Venkat

+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Feb 5 2010, 06:16 AM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

M.S. Subbulakshmi Annamacharya Sankeertanlu-1

Here are some of the keertans (part one) by the great lady who redefined cartnatic music with her mastery ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
venkat
post Feb 5 2010, 08:47 AM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Swarapriya,

Do you have any 'private songs' of Srirangam Gopalaratnam, such as " Kommalo Koyila Ku Annadi", etc.?

Venkat

+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Feb 5 2010, 01:05 PM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(venkat @ Feb 4 2010, 07:17 PM) *

Swarapriya,

Do you have any 'private songs' of Srirangam Gopalaratnam, such as " Kommalo Koyila Ku Annadi", etc.?

Venkat

I am sorry to disappoint you Venkat, unfortunately I don't have any other songs of hers. May be someone else can come forward and help share these songs. -S

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Feb 5 2010, 01:06 PM
+Quote Post

25 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:51 AM