Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Article In 'stars From Another Sky' By Manto

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Article In 'stars From Another Sky' By Manto
Harjinder
post Sep 15 2006, 04:55 AM
Post #31

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6686

QUOTE(urzung khan @ Sep 13 2006, 09:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Harjinder @ Sep 14 2006, 05:46 AM) *

QUOTE(jamalf_akbar @ Sep 12 2006, 08:07 AM) *

Thanks for your comments Harjinderji. I have only read a few of Manto's works (any that I can find in English) as I can't read Urdu, but I have enjoyed what I have read so far.

Akbar saheb
I don't know how or where these comments fit but I have learned to read Urdu mostly to read works of ficton by writers like Manto and Rajinder Singh Bedi and to enjoy the poetry of poets like Ghalib, Iqbal, Faiz,Josh Malihabadi and many others. Problem with Urdu poetry is that Urdu poets like Ghalib and Iqbal use a language which is full of words from Farsi, Arabi, and Turki. I can enjoy some of their 'Kalam' and for the rest I have to read what I call prose tarjma of their nazms. Anyway while Urdu is a very hard language to learn it does offer poetry of the standard that is peerless. Afsane written by Manto and Bedi use lot less obscure vocabulary and are thus easier to read and thus to me, more enjoyable.Harjinder

Have you ever heard of Balwant Singh ? No vulgarities. He just
wrote simple realistic stories about Punjab and its people. One
of his books was ' raat chaand chor'. IIRC, this collection had
his classic ' Jagga', ... Sardar Jagjit Singh Virk. Balwant was from
Lahore and then mograted to India.
Jagga used to be online somewhere, I will check if it is still there.

urzung khan

Janab Khan Saheb
I am somewhat familiar with Balwant Singh's writings. He often contributed stories to 'Shama' (or was it' Beeswin Sadi'?) I say somewhat familiar because I cannot recall any story written by him that I have read. If you can post 'Jagga' I would be greatly interested in reading it. Does it have anything to do with the legendary 'JAGGA DAAKU'? By the way all the Urdu that I know I have learned all by myself.Political and social conditions of the times had given Urdu the status of a paraiah language in Indian Punjab. But as I was I was growing up in the 50's I was fascinated by the language and its sophistication. My father like a typical Punjabi educated person of that time was traumatized and somewhat radicalized by the events of 1947 and often was puzzled by my fascination with the language. But my interest in Urdu has persisted to this day, inspite of the antagonism towards it in our society and among some of my own family members in the older ( than my) generation. University of Chicago has some college level classes in Urdu and Farsi which I may decide to take up after my retirement in June. It is good forty plus miles from where I live. But if things work out the way I want them to I will try to further my knowledge of literary Urdu and maybe of Farsi too.Please do post the Jagga story if you come across it. Harjinder

This post has been edited by Harjinder: Jun 17 2011, 05:54 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
urzung khan
post Sep 15 2006, 08:47 AM
Post #32

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1470

QUOTE(Harjinder @ Sep 15 2006, 04:25 AM) *

QUOTE(urzung khan @ Sep 13 2006, 09:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Harjinder @ Sep 14 2006, 05:46 AM) *

QUOTE(jamalf_akbar @ Sep 12 2006, 08:07 AM) *

Thanks for your comments Harjinderji. I have only read a few of Manto's works (any that I can find in English) as I can't read Urdu, but I have enjoyed what I have read so far.

Akbar saheb
I don't know how or where these comments fit but I have learned to read Urdu mostly to read works of ficton by writers like Manto and Rajinder Singh Bedi and to enjoy the poetry of poets like Ghalib, Iqbal, Faiz,Josh Malihabadi and many others. Problem with Urdu poetry is that Urdu poets like Ghalib and Iqbal use a language which is full of words from Farsi, Arabi, and Turki. I can enjoy some of their 'Kalam' and for the rest I have to read what I call prose tarjma of their nazms. Anyway while Urdu is a very hard language to learn it does offer poetry of the standard that is peerless. Afsane written by Manto and Bedi use lot less obscure vocabulary and are thus easier to read and thus to me, more enjoyable.Harjinder

Have you ever heard of Balwant Singh ? No vulgarities. He just
wrote simple realistic stories about Punjab and its people. One
of his books was ' raat chaand chor'. IIRC, this collection had
his classic ' Jagga', ... Sardar Jagjit Singh Virk. Balwant was from
Lahore and then mograted to India.
Jagga used to be online somewhere, I will check if it is still there.

urzung khan

Janab Khan Saheb
I am somewhat familiar with Balwant Singh's writings. He often contributed stories to 'Shama' (or was it' Beeswin Sadi'?) I say somewhat familiar because I cannot recall any story written by him that I have read. If you can post 'Jagga' I would be greatly interested in reading it. Does it have anything thing to do with the legendary 'JAGGA DAAKU'? By the way all the Urdu that I know I have learned all by myself.Political and social conditions of the times had given Urdu the status of a paraiah language in Indian Punjab. But as I was I was growing up in the 50's I was fascinated by the language and its sophistication. My father like a typical Punjabi educated person of that time was traumatized and somewhat radicalized by the events of 1947 and often was puzzled by my fascination with the language. But my interest in Urdu has persisted to this day, inspite of the antagonism towards it in our society and among some of my own family members in the older ( than my) generation. University of Chicago has some college level classes in Urdu and Farsi which I may decide to take up after my retirement in June. It is good forty plus miles from where I live. But if things work out the way I want them to I will try to further my knowledge of literary Urdu and maybe of Farsi too.Please do post the Jagga story if you come across it. Harjinder

It is more likely to be Beeswin Sadi. We will get this topic out of thos forum.
At the moment I can't recall the URL where it used to be online. But be sure
that I shell get it and revert.

urzung khan
+Quote Post
jamalf_akbar
post Dec 4 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

Member No.: 1156

Hi all,

I managed to find the Urdu version of this article - as Inaam Bhai mentioned it's title is Noor Jehan Suroor-e-jaan. I flicked through it and found some pictures that I hadn't seen before so I am scanning them in and fixing them. Unfortunately these books were printed on cheap paper so when you scan one page you can see the reflection of the page underneath. I'm trying to remove these marks as much as possible but it takes a long time.

We'll start with the easy one - front cover -

Attached Image

In the next picture I just fixed the important bits i.e. Noor Jehan and not the man in the background. Not sure what the caption says.

Attached Image

I think this one is either from Dupetta or Chanwey -

Attached Image

No idea about this one - Best wishes - but not sure to who

Attached Image

This one is from Ghaalib -

Attached Image

I think this one says Film: Chanwey

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jamalf_akbar
post Dec 4 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #34

Group Icon

This one is from Neend -

Attached Image

I guess this is sometime in the 1940's -

Attached Image

Another one from Ghaalib -

Attached Image

One from Nooran -

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Inaam
post Dec 4 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #35

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 187

Wow!!! Many thanks for these wonderful pictures, Jamal. You are rock!!!! I guess this is the first issue of the book. I also have this book with me, but it has no pictures at all. Most of the picture are truly rare, especially the Ghalib ones.

In the next picture I just fixed the important bits i.e. Noor Jehan and not the man in the background. Not sure what the caption says.

Caption says: Noor Jehan, at the time of recording of ‘Intizar’.
Who was in the background, Jamal? If Khurshid Anwar, Please re post the picture in full.

Again thanks for pics. Hoping one day you could be able find the Shaukat Rizi book ‘Noor Jehan Ki Kahaani, Meri Zubaani’.

smile1.gif
+Quote Post
jamalf_akbar
post Dec 4 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #36

Group Icon

I'll add more pictures soon - as for the Noor Jehan Intezar picture, that is the whole picture, unfortunately the gentleman is cut out of the photo.

Also - I have found the 'Noor Jehan Ki Kahaani, Meri Zubaani' book and will be scanning and uploading that soon too.
+Quote Post
Inaam
post Dec 5 2006, 12:26 AM
Post #37

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Great News!!!! Eagerly waiting.
BTW Jamal, I have a suggestion, It would be nice if you could post the scan of the Urdu text of Manto book too for the benefit of other Noor Jehan fans, as this is most important book about Noor Jehan and not commonly available even in Pakistan.

+Quote Post
jamalf_akbar
post Dec 5 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #38

Group Icon

... some more pictures .. (I will upload the book soon - there are over 30 pages so it will take some time to scan)

I think this is either from Neend or Choomantar -

Attached Image

Another one from Nooran -

Attached Image

.. and another -

Attached Image

Not sure what this one says - Inaam bhai?

Attached Image

Same goes for this - looks like a family photo with Shaukat Hussain and Akbar and Asghar -

Attached Image

Last one -

Attached Image
+Quote Post
kianwar
post Dec 5 2006, 06:33 AM
Post #39

Group Icon

Member No.: 2511

QUOTE(jamalf_akbar @ Dec 5 2006, 12:41 AM) *

... some more pictures .. (I will upload the book soon - there are over 30 pages so it will take some time to scan)

I think this is either from Neend or Choomantar -

Attached Image

Another one from Nooran -

Attached Image

.. and another -

Attached Image

Attached Image

Same goes for this - looks like a family photo with Shaukat Hussain and Akbar and Asghar -

Attached Image

Last one -

Attached Image

Saadat Hassan Manto wrote a series of articles on a number of famous
personalities, most of them from the film world. Originally these articles
were published in some newspaper. After some time, during his lifetime
these were published in two books - Ganjay Farishtey and Loudspeaker.
Noor Jehan - Saroor-e-Jaan was included in the book Loudspeaker.
However, it was also published seperately in form of a booklet.
in 1992-93 Sang-e-Meel, a publishing house in Lahore published complete
works of Manto in probably four or five volume ( @ Rs. 700 each).
Now these two books of Manto are included in one if these volume -
' Mantonuma'.

Irfan
+Quote Post
Inaam
post Dec 5 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #40

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Thanks for the more pics, Jamal.

Attached Image

Pic is missing, Jamal. Can you re-post it?
+Quote Post
Priya
post Dec 6 2006, 12:50 AM
Post #41

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
Member No.: 25

Amazing pix, Jamal!!!!!! clap2.gif
U are the best!!!!!!!! bow.gif
I love the last one. WP material!!! jump.gif

Inaam, saare pix hai. Theek se dekho. huh.gif

IPB Image
+Quote Post
jamalf_akbar
post Dec 6 2006, 03:22 AM
Post #42

Group Icon

Glad you liked them Priya - there are more in the Shaukat Hussain Rizvi book but again the paper quality is so bad that you can see the page underneath so those ones may take some time to fix. You should have seen some of these ones before I fixed them. Very time consuming.
+Quote Post
sbfan
post Dec 19 2006, 09:15 AM
Post #43

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1475

Hi Jamal

thanks a ton for these magnificant pictures. truly rare and madam looks so elegant in them... there are excerpts from that book on net but not whole book

ashish

MERI NEENDON MEIN TUM
MERE KHWABON MEIN TUM

LONG LIVE SHAMSHAD BEGUM
IPB Image
+Quote Post
jamalf_akbar
post Dec 20 2006, 04:19 AM
Post #44

Group Icon

Hi Ashish,

Glad you liked the pics. If you look at the beginning of this post you have the full English translation of the book. I will hopefully scan in the original Urdu version I have as well.

QUOTE(ashish2345 @ Dec 19 2006, 03:45 AM) *

Hi Jamal

thanks a ton for these magnificant pictures. truly rare and madam looks so elegant in them... there are excerpts from that book on net but not whole book

ashish

+Quote Post
LoveHumanity
post Nov 14 2007, 07:41 PM
Post #45

Group: Validating
Member No.: 22716

Excellent
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:12 PM