Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Malayalam

, a language of God's own country!

24 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Malayalam, a language of God's own country!
Nimii
post Nov 4 2004, 07:52 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

I always found Malayalam a sweet language. It is a bit sing a song when spoken.

It is an interesting thing to note that most of the south indian languages have lot of words with a bit of change in the sound so similar. Dr.Unni what does thou have to say here?

N smile1.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
unni
post Nov 4 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
From: Vaanar Nivas, Tribandar Marg, Bandarabad, MONKEYSTAN.
Member No.: 356

QUOTE(Nimii @ Nov 4 2004, 10:22 AM)
I always found Malayalam a sweet language.  It is a bit sing a song when spoken.

It is an interesting thing to note that most of the south indian languages have lot of words with a bit of change in the sound so similar. Dr.Unni what does thou have to say here?

N smile1.gif

I guess that over time, with the inter-mingling of people/communities, a lot of words have become common to several languages, except they are pronounced differently. In the Palghat area the Tamil spoken is mixed with Malayalam, both in use of words as well as the intonation. Unless I am mistaken, Tamil was not Sanskrit-based, whereas the other South Indian languages were. Yet now there are numerous words in Tamil that are similar in other languages of the South.

(I have not learnt to read or write Malayalam, and my spoken vocabulary is very limited. In fact while listening to Malayalam songs I don't understand most of the words. My understanding of Hindi/Urdu is far better. And during almost 30 years of marriage I've never had a real conversation with my mother-in-law --- she is hesitant to speak in English and me in Tamil! Of course, my wife doesn't understand me in any language. tongue.gif )

If you stop trying to make sense of it all, you'll be less confused. Reality is an illusion.
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Nov 4 2004, 08:08 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Now that is something I must say!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well you atleast know a few words in malayalam biggrin.gif

Wife doesnt understand u in any language?? how can that be wink2.gif

Pyar ki basha haina biggrin.gif

N biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Nov 4 2004, 08:10 PM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

I can understand a wee bit of malayalam. More so coz my B-i-l is from Kochi (a konk from Kochi-Ernakulam). Also since I am well versed in Tamil (can R/w/s) it helps too!

N smile1.gif
+Quote Post
unni
post Nov 4 2004, 08:14 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

From: Vaanar Nivas, Tribandar Marg, Bandarabad, MONKEYSTAN.
Member No.: 356

QUOTE(Nimii @ Nov 4 2004, 10:38 AM)
Pyar ki basha haina biggrin.gif
N biggrin.gif

That's proven by the fact that we have two daughters ---- who speak only English! tongue.gif

Yesterday I was woken up by the sound of Sanskrit slokas in an American accent --- my daughter saying her prayers aloud before leaving for work. smile1.gif

If you stop trying to make sense of it all, you'll be less confused. Reality is an illusion.
+Quote Post
SAJJAD
post Nov 4 2004, 08:55 PM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 16

QUOTE(unni @ Nov 4 2004, 08:01 PM)
And during almost 30 years of marriage I've never had a real conversation with my mother-in-law --- she is hesitant to speak in English and me in Tamil!  Of course

WOW -U r a lucky man! Honestly, i get along fine with my mother in law and my 2 sister in laws wink2.gif I only have little problem with my father in law & brother in law blab.gif They r totally opposite ph34r.gif

If you get in bed with government, you should expect to walk funny the next day!!!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Nov 4 2004, 09:00 PM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

<<Yesterday I was woken up by the sound of Sanskrit slokas in an American accent --- my daughter saying her prayers aloud before leaving for work>>

Be happy that they are saying their prayers in Sanskrit even tho it has an accent smile1.gif

N smile1.gif
+Quote Post
Chitralekha
post Nov 5 2004, 12:36 AM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 13

QUOTE(unni @ Nov 4 2004, 07:31 AM)
Of course, my wife doesn't undertand me in any language. tongue.gif )

Spoken like a wise man biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Nov 5 2004, 04:01 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Well atleast he understands "HIS WIFE's LANGUAGE"

N biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
hits
post Nov 5 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 688

To chip in...yes, it's a flowing language. Very mellifluos....and in that sense, a bit like French in the Franco-Prussian group of languages.

Hits
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Nov 5 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Here is something I found -

Of the many theories of origin, the most popular ones claim that Malayalam was born out of the confluence of Tamil and Sanskrit, that it originated out of Sanskrit alone, and that both Malayalam and Tamil came out of a single proto-language. In his Comparative Grammar of Dravidian Languages (1875), Bishop Robert Caldwell argued that Malayalam evolved out of Tamil and that the process took place during the Sangam period (first five centuries of the Common Era) when Kerala belonged to the larger political unit called Tamilakam, the apogee of Dravidian civilization.

N smile1.gif

ps: Btw hits!! Are you a malayalee too????????????????
+Quote Post
hits
post Nov 5 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 688

QUOTE(Nimii @ Nov 5 2004, 10:33 PM)
Here is something I found -

Of the many theories of origin, the most popular ones claim that Malayalam was born out of the confluence of Tamil and Sanskrit, that it originated out of Sanskrit alone, and that both Malayalam and Tamil came out of a single proto-language. In his Comparative Grammar of Dravidian Languages (1875), Bishop Robert Caldwell argued that Malayalam evolved out of Tamil and that the process took place during the Sangam period (first five centuries of the Common Era) when Kerala belonged to the larger political unit called Tamilakam, the apogee of Dravidian civilization.

N smile1.gif

ps: Btw hits!! Are you a malayalee too????????????????

Yes, I am.
+Quote Post
Nimii
post Nov 6 2004, 08:21 AM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

OOOOOhhh good good we have one more malayalee among ourselves smile1.gif

We must make a statistics on language basis of the members biggrin.gif

N biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
tres
post Jun 1 2005, 09:39 AM
Post #14

Unregistered

QUOTE(unni @ Nov 4 2004, 08:14 PM)

That's proven by the fact that we have two daughters ---- who speak only English! tongue.gif

With every new generation our mother-toungue seems to be going for a toss... I could never master it well (can speak a little bit but not write) and i know with my future kids it will be even worse..

These days i see many malayalee couples who resort to speak in hindi/english among themselves rather than in malayalam.
+Quote Post
dileep_kuwait2
post Jun 3 2005, 07:02 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 2255

It is true that Malayalam is a sweet language and v would love to teach our children to Read & write Malayalam. But here we are already painfully seeing them learning English, Arrabic and hindi from their frist standard. So we don't know how to force them to learn Malayalam too.
+Quote Post

24 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:25 AM