Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Willing To Teach Telugu ?

, Adhyaapak kaavaali

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Willing To Teach Telugu ?, Adhyaapak kaavaali
visuja
post Jul 26 2005, 11:32 AM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2745

Hi,

I wish to learn some Telugu and get a basic understanding of the language. Would help me a lot in enjoying telugu film music as well as Carnatic krithis.

Evaru unnaara ? bibhaas-gaaru ..... sahaayyaam cheysaava ?

(Anyone willing to teach) ?

Vivek

Endaro (HF-lo) Mahaanubhaavulu
Andariki Vandanamulu bow.gif bow.gif

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Jul 26 2005, 03:53 PM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Away
Member No.: 2035

Me seconding Vivek's request............. Evaaru Sahaayyaam cheysaava???? I am especially serious about it.....after getting a nice 'wake-up' call from Vivek......saying how he expected me to know Telugu, being trained in Carnatic music..........Well....high time I start off...... Dunno anything in the language.........but remember having heard a few words ...something like... "Teeskonti".........."Jeskonti"......."Jaampalli"......."Chappaalante" etc....something like that........on my trip to Hyderabad........

Waiting for the take-off...... smile1.gif

Love Music....... LOVE GK
+Quote Post
Mandrake
post Jul 26 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #3

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 2066

Nee peru yemi? = what is your name?

Naa peru Rajan = My name is Rajan

Self - belief is the most potent force.
+Quote Post
visuja
post Jul 26 2005, 04:14 PM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Oh the universal master is here too !! bow.gif

Welcome Welcome ----- Randi Randi (anything more suited for 'welcome' ?)

Originally conceived for Hits, but equally applicable to you too
Woh Kaunsi Mehfil Hai Jahaan Tu Nahin Maujood !

Btw, is 'Adhyapak' the right word for teacher in Telugu ? unsure.gif

Sept 5th is drawing close ..... Shyam humaari HF ke guruon ko kya dakshina dein ?

Vivek
+Quote Post
bibhas
post Jul 28 2005, 09:09 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 1314

Vivek, Shyam,
Kshaminchandi, ee thread koncham aalasyam gaa choosaanu. Meeku telugu nerpadaaniki tappaka prayatnam chestanu.
(Sorry, saw this thread a little late. I will certainly try to teach you telugu).

Bibhas

p.s. Randi is certainly the most apt word to say "welcome or aaiye". It's important to realize that this word in telugu ends in a short "e" at the end and not a deergha "ee" as in that word in Hindi that makes you uncomfortable.

A science that does not deliver us to the portals of metaphysics is a failed science and a religion that does not embrace physics is not grounded in reality.
+Quote Post
bibhas
post Jul 28 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #6

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

ok, let me start off correcting the errors you guys made so far on this thread.

Evaru unnaara ? bibhaas-gaaru ..... sahaayyaam cheysaava ?

Vivek, here you want to say "Is there anyone ? Bibhas ji, will you help ? ", isn't it? The way to say it correctly in telugu is: (caps for deergha and hard sound, small letters for laghu and soft sound)

"evarainA unnArA ? Bibhas gAru, sahAyam chEstArA ?"

evarainA = Is anyone. evaru= who
sahAyam= help
chEsAvA (cheysaava) = did you (singular, as in thou) do ?
chEstArA = will you (plural, to go with gAru, the term of respect in telugu, eqv of "ji") do ?

Dunno anything in the language.........but remember having heard a few words ...something like... "Teeskonti".........."Jeskonti"......."Jaampalli"......."Chappaalante" etc....something like that........on my trip to Hyderabad........

Shyam,
"Teeskonti" : The correct word is tIsukOnDi (tee-su-kOnDi, O as in Oprah, D as in Dad). It means "leejiye", "take it (with respect)".
"Jeskonti": There isn't a word like this, the closest match in my mind is chEsukOnDi. It means "kar lijiye". Note that this is different from "kijiye" which would be "cheyyanDi" in telugu.
"Jaampalli": Again draws a blank. Since you heard it in Hyderabad, it was probably a reference to an area called "nAmpalli" which is the area near the Hyderabad Rly Stn.
"Chappaalante": The correct word is cheppAlanTE. Means "kehna hai to".

Nee peru yemi? = what is your name?

Naa peru Rajan = My name is Rajan

Wah Mandrake (or should I say Rajan ?), the linguist ! What you wrote is accurate, except that the word "yemi" in this context is not used in commonspeak. The way you wrote it is kinda old language spoken in the raja-maharaja zamaana.

nI pEru EmiTi ? = what is your name. The phrase is commonly said in sandhi as "nI pErEnTi ?".

Btw, is 'Adhyapak' the right word for teacher in Telugu ?

The word adhyApak is not used in telugu although you will find it as "adhyApakulu" in the dictionary, telugu having retained most of its sanskrit origins. The commonly used words for teacher in telugu are "guruvu" (=guru) and "pantulu" (colloq. for "panDitulu"). These days you will hear people saying "teacharu" and "mAsTAru" more commonly, derived obviously from the english words teacher and master.

A science that does not deliver us to the portals of metaphysics is a failed science and a religion that does not embrace physics is not grounded in reality.
+Quote Post
visuja
post Jul 29 2005, 07:40 AM
Post #7

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(bibhas @ Jul 28 2005, 11:39 PM)
Vivek, Shyam,
Kshaminchandi, ee thread koncham aalasyam gaa choosaanu. Meeku telugu nerpadaaniki tappaka prayatnam chestanu.
(Sorry, saw this thread a little late. I will certainly try to teach you telugu).

Bibhas

Thanks bibhas ... 'Thanks'iki emu cheptAnu ? Dhanyavaadam !! blab.gif tongue.gif

Wow.. managed to understand 90% of that sentence without having to resort to the translation ! (except 'nerpadaaniki' and 'tappaka' : most imp parts of that sentence though sad1.gif )

A few queries / comments though:

Aalasyam : seems to be related to 'aalas' in Hindi .. meaning lazy ... does it have the same connotation in Telugu too ?

Meeku : I suppose its plural for 'neeku' ? does telugu have a dual case ('dwitiya' case) as in Sanskrit ? Actually, I dont find any language that has a special reservation for 'dual' cases except Sanskrit.... maybe Im wrong unsure.gif

Aargh.. its so frustrating when similar words mean different things in different languages .... "Tappu" means wrong / incorrect in Tamil ... on first reading, it felt like u'd teach Telugu incorrectly !! tongue.gif
Maybe the pronunciation is different ---- how is 't' in 'tappaka' pronounced ? as in 'train' or as in 'there' ?

Nerpadaaniki : 'd' as in 'day' or as in hindi for day .. 'din' ?

Vivek
+Quote Post
visuja
post Jul 29 2005, 08:13 AM
Post #8

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Quite a few doubts here !!

QUOTE(bibhas @ Jul 29 2005, 12:00 AM)
chEstArA = will you (plural, to go with gAru, the term of respect in telugu, eqv of "ji") do ?

'ChEstAra' is for second person or third person ?.. as in 'will you do this' as opposed to 'will he / they do this' ? What I'm trying to get at is : what is for 'will he do this' without any connotation of respect 'gaaru' involved ... and what is for 'will you do this' with a connotation of respect ?

QUOTE(bibhas @ Jul 29 2005, 12:00 AM)
Shyam,
chEsukOnDi. It means "kar lijiye". Note that this is different from "kijiye" which would be "cheyyanDi" in telugu.

Could you give an example on the usage of both 'chEsukOndi' and 'cheyyandi'
(Actually I cant even come up with a decent usage to point out the difference between 'kijiye' and 'kar lijiye') sad1.gif

ippudu idhe samshayaalu. reypu vochhi choostaanu. poseur.gif

Vivek
+Quote Post
bibhas
post Jul 29 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(visuja @ Jul 28 2005, 10:10 PM)
Thanks bibhas ... 'Thanks'iki emu cheptAnu ?  Dhanyavaadam !! blab.gif  tongue.gif 

yep, although "Thanks" has completely replaced it in common usage. Small point: "dhanyavAdam" is "Thank", "dhanyavAdamulu" or "dhanyavAdAlu" is "Thanks".
'Thanks'iki emu cheptAnu ?

The word is "Emi" and not "emu".
"cheptAnu" means "I will say (future tense).
The sentence you wrote should be "Thanks anaDAniki Emi cheppanu ? " This would mean "what I should I say to say "thanks". If you write "thanks ki Emi cheppanu ?" it would translate as "what should I say to Thanks" as in personifying "thanks".
An easier way to say this would be "(telugu lo) thanks ni EmanTAru ? ". What's is the word for "thanks" (in telugu) ? Note that we have used sandhi to make EmanTAru from Emi + anTAru.

Aalasyam : seems to be related to 'aalas' in Hindi .. meaning lazy ... does it have the same connotation in Telugu too ?

I don't know the origin but I can guess. Alasyam means "late" or "delay". Guess since being lazy always ends up in a delay, in a way it might have the same origin.

Meeku : I suppose its plural for 'neeku' ? does telugu have a dual case ('dwitiya' case) as in Sanskrit ?

Yes, mIku is plural for nIku. telugu does not have a dual case.

Aargh.. its so frustrating when similar words mean different things in different languages .... "Tappu" means wrong / incorrect in Tamil ... on first reading, it felt like u'd teach Telugu incorrectly !!  tongue.gif
Maybe the pronunciation is different ---- how is 't' in 'tappaka' pronounced ? as in 'train' or as in 'there' ?

Well, the word for wrong in telugu is also "tappu", the only difference from the tamil "tappu" being the "u" at the end is pronounced fully instead of the abbreviated sound that tamilians use.

The "t" in "tappaka" is pronounced just as the "t" in "tappu" (of both tamil and telugu descent). (for a sound as in "Train" I will use "T"). The root "tappa" is used in connection with missing something. So an accurate translation of "tappaka" would be "without missing", implying certainly. Other uses of this root (all in the same connotation) :
nuvvu dAri tappAvA ? Did you lose your way ? (or are you lost /)

Nerpadaaniki : 'd' as in 'day' or as in hindi for day .. 'din' ?

No, it's pronounced nErpaDAniki. E as in tamil "pEsu" or "pEru"; D as in tamil "eppaDi".

Bibhas
p.s. A lot of your confusion arose because I didn't write pronunciation cues in my first post, I apologise.

+Quote Post
bibhas
post Jul 29 2005, 11:36 PM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(visuja @ Jul 28 2005, 10:43 PM)
'ChEstAra' is for second person or third person ?.. as in 'will you do this' as opposed to 'will he / they do this' ? What I'm trying to get at is : what is for 'will he do this' without any connotation of respect 'gaaru' involved ... and what is for 'will you do this' with a connotation of respect ?

will you do this (no respect): nuvvu chEstAvA ?
will he do this (no respect): vADu/atanu chEstADA ?
{Note: there is a difference in the degree of respect between vADu/atanu/Ayana: none/moderate/high respect. The eqv for fem. gender wd be adi/Ame/AviDa}

will you do this (respect): mIru chEstArA ?
will he do this (respect): Ayana chEstArA ?

Does that clarify it ?

Could you give an example on the usage of both 'chEsukOndi' and 'cheyyandi'
(Actually I cant even come up with a decent usage to point out the difference between 'kijiye' and 'kar lijiye')  sad1.gif

You're right, it's fairly interchangeable in Hindi depending on context. In telugu too, the difference is quite thin. I am not sure I'll succeed but let me attempt.

You do your work (respect or plural)/aap apna kaam kar lijiye : mIru mI pani chEsukOndi

Do this work (respect or plural)/ aap yeh kaam kijiye: ee pani cheyyandi

ippudu idhe samshayaalu.

ippudu = now. ippatiki = for now
idE = this . ivE = these

ippatiki ivE samshayAlu. (God samshayAlu sounds like such an ancient word, no one uses it any more - "doubts" has taken over. Could also use "prashnalu" = questions ).

reypu vochhi choostaanu.  poseur.gif

clap1.gif accurate !
For ease of pronunciation: rEpu vachhi chUstAnu.

+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Jul 31 2005, 06:48 PM
Post #11

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Give me some time before I catch-up with the lessons that took place in my absence........

A few points to raise after reading your first set of lessons Bibhas:-

"JAAMPALLI" : This 'term' was heard by me at Hyderabad, while we were in a bus, and a small girl selling Perus (Guavas) was shouting this term "Jaampalli.....Jaampalli".......And I really found that word very amusing......(Nothing to do with 'disrespect to the language or anything of that sort......Just found the way she shouted the term very amusing......) And I really irritated my parents throughout the trip in the next few days by screaming that term the same way....HEHEHHEE..... tongue.gif Fond childhood memories....... wink2.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

PS: I'm very well aware of Hyderabad station's name being "Naampalli", and that has got nothing to do with my question on "JAAMPALLI"... tongue.gif wink2.gif

And as far as I know, I don't think Mandrake's name is Rajan, and guess he just gave that as an example here. As far as the question on his actual name, I would rather let him answer that. smile1.gif

Hope to hear from you soon.....Will post more..after catching up on the lessons...... DhanyavAdAlu ...... bow.gif smile1.gif

+Quote Post
AzgarKhan
post Jul 31 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #12

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 205

QUOTE(gkshyam @ Jul 31 2005, 06:48 PM)

PS: I'm very well aware of Hyderabad station's name being "Naampalli"

Its "Nampally", and there is a famous telugu song with that station's name.
Nampally Station kaada ramalingooooooooooooooooooooooooo
lol funny one.

Does anyone have that song, "Rimjhim Rimjhim Hyderabad"?

+Quote Post
bibhas
post Aug 1 2005, 09:18 AM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(gkshyam @ Jul 31 2005, 09:18 AM)
"JAAMPALLI" : This 'term' was heard by me at Hyderabad, while we were in a bus, and a small girl selling Perus (Guavas) was shouting this term "Jaampalli.....Jaampalli".......And I really found that word very amusing......(Nothing to do with 'disrespect to the language or anything of that sort......Just found the way she shouted the term very amusing......) And I really irritated my parents throughout the trip in the next few days by screaming that term the same way....HEHEHHEE..... tongue.gif Fond childhood memories....... wink2.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

That clarifies it Shyam The correct word is "jAmpaLLu" or "jAmapaLLu", means "guava fruits". The L is the hard "La" sound, as in the sanskrit word "kaLa" or the marathi word "taLamaLala" from Veer Savarkar's "sAgarA prAna taLamaLala". The "I" at the end of "JAAMPALLI" must have been the weird accent all these sellers have ( I am sure you're familiar with the "soupey, soupey" and "chaiey chaiey" on trains).

Guava fruit (singular) = jAma panDu.

+Quote Post
visuja
post Aug 1 2005, 03:51 PM
Post #14

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(bibhas @ Jul 30 2005, 01:42 AM)

No, it's pronounced nErpaDAniki. E as in tamil "pEsu" or "pEru"; D as in tamil "eppaDi".

Bibhaasgaaru, naa samshayAliki vistAranga uttarAlu ivvaDAniki dhanyavAdamulu.

mIku thamizh 'aata hai' ? (telugulo 'zh' lEdu kadA ?) nAku telugu rAlEdu :-( (is rAOdu correct ?)

will you do this (no respect): nuvvu chEstAvA ?
will he do this (no respect): vADu/atanu chEstADA ?
will you do this (respect): mIru chEstArA ?
will he do this (respect): Ayana chEstArA ?

Does that clarify it ?

spashTangA arthamAindi :-)

taravAta vachhi 'post continue' chEdAm (or is it chEstAnu ?)

Vivek

+Quote Post
gkshyam
post Aug 1 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Oh great.......that was really some good clarification.... smile1.gif Yes, pretty familiar with the 'soupey' & 'chayey' in trains.... smile1.gif

So in sigular its 'PanDu' & plural its 'PaLLu'???

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:50 AM