Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Duet With Lata Mangeshkar

, A rare combination

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Duet With Lata Mangeshkar, A rare combination
usrafian
post Oct 31 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1776

Friends,

Uploading duet of Lata Ji & Suman

Film - Chand
MD - Hemant Da

128 kbps 05:09 min

Kabhi Aaj Kabhi Kal Kabhi Parson,
Aise Hi Beete Barson

Enjoy

USR

Dil Shaad Tha Ke Phool Khilenge Bahaar Mein
Maaraa Gaya Garib Isee Aitbaar Mein
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
usrafian
post Nov 1 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #2

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(usrafian @ Oct 31 2008, 05:35 PM) *

Friends,

Uploading duet of Lata Ji & Suman

Film - Chand
MD - Hemant Da

128 kbps 05:09 min

Kabhi Aaj Kabhi Kal Kabhi Parson,
Aise Hi Beete Barson

Enjoy

USR

Dear Friends,

The above duet is the only duet of Lata Mangeshkar & Suman Kalyanpurkar.

Learned members pl comment on this.

Most of the time having a melodious voice can be a blessing for a singer, however it can be a curse if singer’s voice resembles one of the best in the industry. In this situation the singer whose voice resembles “number one” of the industry, is expected to play second fiddle to top singer by the trade. Such singers are short-changed and called upon to sing only the if top singer is not available or if the top singer had a fallout with the music director or a fight with other co-singer. It sometimes happens that the a particular singer in this situation may get short-changed in terms of getting playback assignments for songs meant for her/him. Or sometimes the music director does not want to work with them because he prefers othertop singer all the time and does want to take chances with upcoming singers. This is what exactly happened when Suman Kalyanpur’s voice closely resembled with that of Great Lata Mangeshkar. Suman Kalyanpur got short-changed although she was a very good classical based singer. Suman Kalyanpur thus got far less assignments than what she deserved despite her strong classical base.
After getting bad experience in the film industry, Suman Kalyanpur opted for doing concerts for her friends and relatives in the confines of their homes and left Hindi Film industry permanently.
sad.gif

I perosnally loved Suman Kalyanpur’s voice especially her classical based songs.

USR

This post has been edited by usrafian: Nov 1 2008, 11:04 AM

+Quote Post
abhayp
post Nov 1 2008, 05:01 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 335

Saksham: A couple of points meant in a spirit of friendship and not in any way meant to dictate terms:

1. On forums like these, it is generally best to avoid critical comments about the artiste(s) in question. Fans of these singers/lyricists/MDs come to these forums *because* they like these artistes! To tell them that their favourite singer is not as good as x or y or z doesn't help anyone. Also, musical tastes are largely subjective; "x is better than y" kind of statements don't make sense as it is just one opinion versus another. Yes, there *is* some element of objectivity in musical choices too, but - in my (for a change!) humble opinion - these forums provide neither the proper platform nor the shared levels of understanding to facilitate dialogue that discusses rather than asserts/provokes.

(BTW, haven't I seen you on RMIM? Now forums like *those* are meant precisely for these kind of discussions!)

2. Have you heard Suman K's Marathi songs? Her Marathi output is stellar - songs like "ghaal ghaal pi.ngaa vaaryaa" and "are sa.nsaar sa.nsaar" are made for her!

Warm regards,
Abhay

This post has been edited by abhayp: Nov 1 2008, 05:06 PM
+Quote Post
venkat
post Nov 1 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #4

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6841

I can agree with Saksham in 'Direction', but not in 'Degree' that I perceive in his post!!! smile.gif

Simply put, Suman may be a less talented singer than Lata, but not so very much less talented !

Venkat

This post has been edited by venkat: Nov 1 2008, 07:20 PM

I have changed many views in life since my childhood, but not my view of Rafi Saab as the God-sent Gandharva who visited this Earth briefly to spread ultimate ecstasy among genuine music-lovers!

Mohammed Rafi: Highest Quantity Of Greatest Quality In Mind-boggling Variety!!!
+Quote Post
venkat
post Nov 1 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #5

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6841

Many sincere thanks, USR Ji, for this rare duet by Lata and Suman.

Especially in this very song, it is very difficult to choose between the two!!! smile.gif

Venkat

I have changed many views in life since my childhood, but not my view of Rafi Saab as the God-sent Gandharva who visited this Earth briefly to spread ultimate ecstasy among genuine music-lovers!

Mohammed Rafi: Highest Quantity Of Greatest Quality In Mind-boggling Variety!!!
+Quote Post
Saki
post Nov 1 2008, 11:33 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 53389

QUOTE(abhayp @ Nov 1 2008, 05:01 PM) *

Saksham: A couple of points meant in a spirit of friendship and not in any way meant to dictate terms:

1. On forums like these, it is generally best to avoid critical comments about the artiste(s) in question. Fans of these singers/lyricists/MDs come to these forums *because* they like these artistes! To tell them that their favourite singer is not as good as x or y or z doesn't help anyone. Also, musical tastes are largely subjective; "x is better than y" kind of statements don't make sense as it is just one opinion versus another. Yes, there *is* some element of objectivity in musical choices too, but - in my (for a change!) humble opinion - these forums provide neither the proper platform nor the shared levels of understanding to facilitate dialogue that discusses rather than asserts/provokes.

(BTW, haven't I seen you on RMIM? Now forums like *those* are meant precisely for these kind of discussions!)

2. Have you heard Suman K's Marathi songs? Her Marathi output is stellar - songs like "ghaal ghaal pi.ngaa vaaryaa" and "are sa.nsaar sa.nsaar" are made for her!

Warm regards,
Abhay

Abhay ji,

1. Absolutely in accord with you here. Though I don't claim to be as familiar with the nature of discussions that usually take place here as you, I tried to be as objective as possible. Whatever I may have said about the two singers, I was not suggesting one singer's superiority over the other to anybody (even though my post was addressed to USR ji). I was merely expressing my opinion, although my post was not replete with 'IMOs'. Showing someone's favorite singer down was not the intention.

I don't know how much of me you've seen on RMIM; I'm not particularly visible there.

2. I have heard some of SK's marathi songs, including the two you've mentioned. Looking at the sensitiveness of the matter, I shall refrain from sharing my *objective opinion*.

Warmest regards,
Saksham
+Quote Post
abhayp
post Nov 1 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE(Saki @ Nov 1 2008, 11:33 PM) *

Abhay ji,

1. Absolutely in accord with you here. Though I don't claim to be as familiar with the nature of discussions that usually take place here as you, I tried to be as objective as possible. Whatever I may have said about the two singers, I was not suggesting one singer's superiority over the other to anybody (even though my post was addressed to USR ji). I was merely expressing my opinion, although my post was not replete with 'IMOs'. Showing someone's favorite singer down was not the intention.

I don't know how much of me you've seen on RMIM; I'm not particularly visible there.

2. I have heard some of SK's marathi songs, including the two you've mentioned. Looking at the sensitiveness of the matter, I shall refrain from sharing my *objective opinion*.

Warmest regards,
Saksham

That dratted "ji" again! sad1.gif

Hadn't you started/participated in a thread on RMIM about Lata-vs-Asha re classical singing skills? Now that was a good example of what happens even in a forum that *is* specifically meant for discussions like that one: it *is* a subject where some amount of objectivity *is* possible, but people tend to go with the artiste they prefer rather than compare singing skills objectively! Unfortunately (or fortunately!), objective criteria (alone) do not determine the listeners' experience of the song. E.g., in objective terms - breath control, fluidity and modulation of voice, unvarying adherence to sur, etc. - Meena Kapoor cannot quite match up to Lata Mangeshkar. Nevertheless, her version of the "Anokha Pyar" songs have their own magic, even though they are not in Lata's class in terms of singing skills per se. For that matter, for all MK's breath control issues, I would *never* want to hear "kuchh aur zamaanaa kahataa hai" in anyone else's voice: they may sing it more *skillfully*, but the passion and depth that MK brings to the song is out of this world!

I was also basing my suggestion on the few altercations I have seen on some of the forums here and on other "fan sites". Fans come to the forums/sites to share their enthusiasm for their favourites: I have learnt from experience that they are not looking for objective analysis of their favourites' skills!

I may well be over-reacting here: please take just as much of all this as you wish to. If you choose to leave it all behind, that's perfectly fine too. smile1.gif

Warm regards,
Abhay
+Quote Post
Saki
post Nov 2 2008, 01:13 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE(abhayp @ Nov 1 2008, 11:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Saki @ Nov 1 2008, 11:33 PM) *

Abhay ji,

Warmest regards,
Saksham

That dratted "ji" again! sad1.gif

Hadn't you started/participated in a thread on RMIM about Lata-vs-Asha re classical singing skills? Now that was a good example of what happens even in a forum that *is* specifically meant for discussions like that one: it *is* a subject where some amount of objectivity *is* possible, but people tend to go with the artiste they prefer rather than compare singing skills objectively! Unfortunately (or fortunately!), objective criteria (alone) do not determine the listeners' experience of the song. E.g., in objective terms - breath control, fluidity and modulation of voice, unvarying adherence to sur, etc. - Meena Kapoor cannot quite match up to Lata Mangeshkar. Nevertheless, her version of the "Anokha Pyar" songs have their own magic, even though they are not in Lata's class in terms of singing skills per se. For that matter, for all MK's breath control issues, I would *never* want to hear "kuchh aur zamaanaa kahataa hai" in anyone else's voice: they may sing it more *skillfully*, but the passion and depth that MK brings to the song is out of this world!

I was also basing my suggestion on the few altercations I have seen on some of the forums here and on other "fan sites". Fans come to the forums/sites to share their enthusiasm for their favourites: I have learnt from experience that they are not looking for objective analysis of their favourites' skills!

I may well be over-reacting here: please take just as much of all this as you wish to. If you choose to leave it all behind, that's perfectly fine too. smile1.gif

Warm regards,
Abhay

Abhay ji,

I was the one who started that thread. It was faliure for the simple reason you have already mentioned. Any discussion (even if it's strictly *objective*) about two singers inevitably disintegrates into those stupid 'my favorite' vs 'your favorite' kind of nonsensical stuff. I should have learnt my leason there and then. Gosh! I'm ratarded doh.gif

I take whatever you say, for the simple reason that no matter how much I try to convince myself otherwise, whatever you said *is* really the truth.

Thanks sir for the concern you have shown and for your suggestions. I shall try and follow them as much as possible.

Warm regards,
Saksham

PS- Sir, that dratted "ji" is gonna bug you for the rest of your life! Considering you are double, perhaps triple my age, and the fact that I can't be absolutely unmindful of these teeny-weeny technicalities, its better you get used to it than loose sleep over it.... wink2.gif
+Quote Post
usrafian
post Nov 3 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #9

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Saksham Ji,

Lata is an icon, living legend (our fortune) & her dedication (which has made her so perfect) for singing is simply unmatched.

As you had mentioned in your post, was the exact thought of producers, MD as well as of common people at the time of Suman Ji’ entry in film world ..‘She is having voice like Lata Ji & hence she should be perfect like her’ , which was not the case, ultimately she was assumed as ‘clone’ or in common word ‘re-make’ , which is unacceptable by our society. This is why it become a ‘curse’ or ‘unfortune’ for Suman Kalyanpur because she was real & not a ‘clone’. Her voice was resembling Lata’s voice but not the skill. Also she could not associate herself with MDs well, to set a ‘Suman-trend’, like Asha did with O P Naiyyar & later with R D Burman. Just think about not having association of Asha with OPN then what would had been her fate ?

BTW liking-disliking is a totally personal issue & it should not be a debate issue.

Dear Saksham Ji, why you have deleted your post ? All posts are unique & a footprint of a successful journey or we can say jewels in a crown.

USR

QUOTE(venkat @ Nov 1 2008, 07:06 PM) *

I can agree with Saksham in 'Direction', but not in 'Degree' that I perceive in his post!!! smile.gif

Simply put, Suman may be a less talented singer than Lata, but not so very much less talented !

Venkat

Venkat Ji,

Well said, I can say 'these are my words penned by Venkat Ji'.

You have very truely mentioned, it is an sweating process to distinguish between the voices of Lata & Suman in this duet.

Thanks

USR

+Quote Post
usrafian
post Nov 3 2008, 12:31 PM
Post #10

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Abhay Ji,
100 % agree with you.

Warm regards,
Abhay

Will you please upload these or any one here or in some appropriate forum ?

USR

+Quote Post
abhayp
post Nov 3 2008, 08:05 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

QUOTE(usrafian @ Nov 3 2008, 12:31 PM) *

Warm regards,
Abhay

Will you please upload these or any one here or in some appropriate forum ?

USR

Will upload them (if they are not already there) in the Suman Kalyanpur thread in the Marathi section. Will need a day, though, so please check after Tuesday.

Warm regards,
Abhay
+Quote Post
Saki
post Nov 3 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE(usrafian @ Nov 3 2008, 12:24 PM) *

Saksham Ji,

Dear Saksham Ji, why you have deleted your post ? All posts are unique & a footprint of a successful journey or we can say jewels in a crown!

USR

USR ji,

While my brain was out sauntering in the garden, leaving me alone in this, well, not exactly friendly world, Abhay ji came to my rescue, and (rightly) adumbrated the seditious and derogative nature of my remarks. To avoid incendiary reactions that could have followed, I though it best to delete my post. They hardly made any difference laugh.gif

Warm regards,
Saksham

PS- USR sahab, would you mind dropping that (dratted) "ji" ? wink.gif
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Nov 3 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #13

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6005

Let me give an example where an upcoming voice was *very* similar to an established singer's voice. Subir Sen and Dwijen Mukherjee both had a voice distinctly similar to that of Hemant Kumar. What was the fate of these two singers?

Parag

Please visit www.geetadutt.com
+Quote Post
Saki
post Nov 3 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

QUOTE(usrafian @ Nov 3 2008, 12:24 PM) *

Venkat Ji,

Well said, I can say 'these are my words penned by Venkat Ji'.

You have very truely mentioned, it is an sweating process to distinguish between the voices of Lata & Suman in this duet.

Thanks

USR

Okay, to make the process a little less sweaty rolleyes.gif ...Lata ji sings the mukhdaa first and then Suman ji. For the antraas, Suman ji sings (just) the first line and the rest is sung by Lata ji.

Hope this prevents further perspiration laugh.gif

Warm regards,
Saksham
+Quote Post
usrafian
post Nov 4 2008, 10:12 AM
Post #15

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Nov 3 2008, 10:28 PM) *

Let me give an example where an upcoming voice was *very* similar to an established singer's voice. Subir Sen and Dwijen Mukherjee both had a voice distinctly similar to that of Hemant Kumar. What was the fate of these two singers?

Parag

A concrete example Parag Bhai.

Both have sang few but smash hit songs.

A very painful punishment for having similar voice of a legend sad.gif

USR

ps : I lv Dwijen's voice very much, specialy with Lata... Naam Mera Nimmo Mukam Ludhiyana

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:56 PM