Visit our other dedicated websites
Asha Bhonsle Geeta Dutt Hamara Forums Hamara Photos Kishore Kumar Mohd Rafi Nice Songs Shreya Ghoshal
Hamara Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

The Three Reigning Queens

, Albums of Madhubala, Meena Kumari & Nargis

64 Pages V « < 27 28 29 30 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Three Reigning Queens, Albums of Madhubala, Meena Kumari & Nargis
swarapriya
post Jan 11 2010, 06:01 AM
Post #407

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Angels
Member No.: 36307

(Meena) Parineeta (1953)

Here is one of the great movies from Bimalda. Filmed in stunning black and white, with an award winning incredible performance from Meena Kumari, and ably supported by Ashok Kumar, the movie remains as one of the classics of Indian Cinema. The story taken from Sharat Chandra Chatterjee’s (see the attached picture) 1914 Bengali novel of the same name was produced by Ashok Kumar himself. Incidentally, Bimalda who won the Best Director award for the movie, went on to make “Biraj Bahu” in 1954 with Kamini Kaushal and Ashok Kumar ,and the following year, in 1955, he brought another Sharat’s literary classics to life in “Devdas” with Suchitra Sen, Vyjayanti Mala, and Dilip Kumar.

Ably assisted by the brilliant editing of Hrishikesh Mukherjee,and Kamal Bose’s cinematography, Bimalda narrates the story at unhurried pace without losing the grip on the characterization spontaneity. Even the dialogues are delivered in soft tone that the absence of loudness adds to the beauty of the movie.

Bimalda was a photographer and editor before turning as a director. He was the cinematographer of Saigal’s classic “Devdas” made in 1936. Kamal Bose who was the cameraman for this movie, captures various moods of the principal characters in glorious black, grey and white colors. As the critic Shoma Chatterjee aptly observed, “… the camera was Bimalda’s brush and his unfailing grip over it made him maneuver it with gentle strokes, sweeping into his canvas the rich poetry and the powers of human beauty, the intensity and the variety of human emotions …”.

The two main characters played by Meena Kumari and Ashok Kumar walk through their respective roles with such professional skill that watching them is like taking a lesson in acting. Meena looking ever so beautifully captures all the subtleties of human emotions like love, pathos, uncertainties, and anxieties that her character goes through with commendable restraint collaborated with consummate artistry.

I am not familiar with the work of the music director of this movie, Aroon Kumar Mukherjee. Besides this film, it appears like he gave music to “Pratima (1945)”, “Muqaddar (1950)”, “Samaaj (1954)”, and “Teen Bhai (1955)”. He seems to have sang in some movies too. “Kismat” made in 1943 was one of them. Too bad he didn’t get opportunities to provide music for more films because he proved his prowess by composing some beautiful songs for this movie. My favorite one is by Geetaji that seems to make a definitive statement. The song “Chaand Hai Wohi” is rendered with such sweetness and sung as if Geetaji put her whole soul into it. This beautiful composition is brilliant, intense, and romantic all at the same time. The listening experience of this mellifluous song leaves you totally consumed. Mannada’s both versions of the song “Chali Raadhe Rani” offer soul stirring experiences as well. Asha also has a couple of beautiful solos. Especially her song “Gore Gore Haathon Mein” is very enchanting to listen to. The song is made special the way the antaraas return to the mukhdaas in the composition with percussion instruments giving able support. Let me also mention about the song by Ashit Baran, who also starred in the movie as the “other” person in Meena Kumari’s life. His song “Toota Hai Naata” almost sounds like Hemantda’s, yet it has distinctiveness of its own. Bimalda seamlessly integrates these songs in such a way that they become part of the narrative, smooth and beautiful, but never obtrusive.

Now for the beautiful songs from this film ...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Jan 11 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #408

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6005

Another wonderful presentation with "from the bottom of the heart" write-up. Here are 2 cents from my side:

Most likely the song "Chali radhe raani" sung by Geeta ji was a version song. The other song sung by her, the divine beauty ("Chaand hain wohi") was in the film in the first few weeks of its release. Later on it was deleted from the film. Now we can only imagine how Bimalda would have filmed this song on Meena Kumari.

In case this information is incorrect and any one has the video of any of the above two songs of Geeta ji, please post the same.

Thanks and Best Regards
Parag

Please visit www.geetadutt.com
+Quote Post
Faraaj73
post Jan 11 2010, 02:38 PM
Post #409

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 58864

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jan 11 2010, 11:31 AM) *

(Meena) Parineeta (1953)

I am not familiar with the work of the music director of this movie, Aroon Kumar Mukherjee. Besides this film, it appears like he gave music to “Pratima (1945)”, “Muqaddar (1950)”, “Samaaj (1954)”, and “Teen Bhai (1955)”. He seems to have sang in some movies too. “Kismat” made in 1943 was one of them. Too bad he didn’t get opportunities to provide music for more films because he proved his prowess by composing some beautiful songs for this movie. My favorite one is by Geetaji that seems to make a definitive statement. The song “Chaand Hai Wohi” is rendered with such sweetness and sung as if Geetaji put her whole soul into it. This beautiful composition is brilliant, intense, and romantic all at the same time. The listening experience of this mellifluous song leaves you totally consumed. Mannada’s both versions of the song “Chali Raadhe Rani” offer soul stirring experiences as well. Asha also has a couple of beautiful solos. Especially her song “Gore Gore Haathon Mein” is very enchanting to listen to. The song is made special the way the antaraas return to the mukhdaas in the composition with percussion instruments giving able support. Let me also mention about the song by Ashit Baran, who also starred in the movie as the “other” person in Meena Kumari’s life. His song “Toota Hai Naata” almost sounds like Hemantda’s, yet it has distinctiveness of its own. Bimalda seamlessly integrates these songs in such a way that they become part of the narrative, smooth and beautiful, but never obtrusive.

Swarapriya

Arun Kumar Mukherjee is primarily known as the playback voice for Ashok Kumar, although his playback starred a few years before the famous Dheere Dheere Aa Re of Qismat (1943). He obviously understood orchestration which led to a handful of music direction assignments upto the mid-50s.

Geeta's Chali Radhe Rani is definitely a version song.

Asit Baran was a very good and respected singer of the 40s who sang some great songs for Pankaj Mullick and RC Bhoral under the New Theatres banner in 43-45. Toota Hai Naata is not wholly original and seems inspired by Roshan's big hit from Malhar sung by Mukesh - Dil Tujhe Diya Tha Rakhne Ko.

Kind Regards
Faraaj

Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. - Victor Hugo

There is only one better thing than music - live music. - Jacek Bukowski

I hate music, especially when it's played. - Jimmy Durante

No good opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible. - W. H. Auden
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jan 12 2010, 03:27 AM
Post #410

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jan 10 2010, 08:43 PM) *

Another wonderful presentation with "from the bottom of the heart" write-up. Here are 2 cents from my side:

Most likely the song "Chali radhe raani" sung by Geeta ji was a version song. The other song sung by her, the divine beauty ("Chaand hain wohi") was in the film in the first few weeks of its release. Later on it was deleted from the film. Now we can only imagine how Bimalda would have filmed this song on Meena Kumari.

In case this information is incorrect and any one has the video of any of the above two songs of Geeta ji, please post the same.

Thanks and Best Regards
Parag

Parag, your 2 cents is always like a treasure cove tucked away into memory cavern. Thanks. Cheers. -S
+Quote Post
parag_sankla
post Jan 12 2010, 04:41 AM
Post #411

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 6005

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jan 11 2010, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(parag_sankla @ Jan 10 2010, 08:43 PM) *

Thanks and Best Regards
Parag

Parag, your 2 cents is always like a treasure cove tucked away into memory cavern. Thanks. Cheers. -S

Another special reason why the song "Chaand hain wohi" is a personal favorite of mine and close to my heart is that in this song Geeta ji sings my name:

Raag hain wohi, Parag hain wohi pawan
phir bhi kyun udaas hain, udaas mera mann

wub.gif

Regards
Parag

Please visit www.geetadutt.com
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jan 12 2010, 04:46 AM
Post #412

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Jan 11 2010, 01:08 AM) *

Swarapriya

Arun Kumar Mukherjee is primarily known as the playback voice for Ashok Kumar, although his playback starred a few years before the famous Dheere Dheere Aa Re of Qismat (1943). He obviously understood orchestration which led to a handful of music direction assignments upto the mid-50s.

Asit Baran was a very good and respected singer of the 40s who sang some great songs for Pankaj Mullick and RC Bhoral under the New Theatres banner in 43-45. Toota Hai Naata is not wholly original and seems inspired by Roshan's big hit from Malhar sung by Mukesh - Dil Tujhe Diya Tha Rakhne Ko.

Thank you Faraaj for sharing all this information. Cheers. -S
+Quote Post
nandi
post Jan 12 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #413

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 55513

Thanks for this marvelous collection and more so for the interest it generated
nandi
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jan 15 2010, 03:56 AM
Post #414

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(nandi @ Jan 12 2010, 09:49 AM) *

Thanks for this marvelous collection and more so for the interest it generated
nandi

You're very welcome, Nandi. Cheers. -S

+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jan 15 2010, 04:14 AM
Post #415

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

(Nargis) Pyaar (1950)

Here is a beautiful early album from Burmanda. It has several great songs. Burmanda uses only three singers here for 10 songs; Geeta, Shamshad, and Kishore. Incidentally, this is the only movie in which Kishoreda lip synched for Raj Kapoor.

There are several good songs here. I love the way Geetaji sang "Aa Gayi Re". The way she streches the word "Gayi" as "Gayiiiiii ..." is absolutely heart stealing. When a song needed a "lift" or "oomph", I don't believe anyone even comes close to Geetaji. Also I love the way she starts and ends the song with humming "Bum Bum ...". Just love it. Unfortunately, qaulity of this song is a notch below average.

There are some more songs with so so average quality. "Jalti Hai Duniya-1" and "Mohabbat Ka Chhota" are these songs. Rest of the songs have pretty good quality. These songs came from various sources including the Forum members. Thank you.

Now for the songs ...

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Jan 17 2010, 10:38 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Exon
post Jan 15 2010, 04:35 AM
Post #416

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Member No.: 49544

QUOTE(Faraaj73 @ Jan 11 2010, 02:38 PM) *

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jan 11 2010, 11:31 AM) *

(Meena) Parineeta (1953)

Swarapriya

I believe there is one more version song by Geeta Dutt, 'chali dulhaniya'; I only have Asha's version.

There is one more Asha song in this album, 'pehale tum yaad aa rahe'. The audio with me is quite noisy.

Exon
+Quote Post
Exon
post Jan 15 2010, 06:33 AM
Post #417

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jan 15 2010, 04:14 AM) *

(Nargis) Pyaar (1950)

Here is a beautiful early album from Burmanda. It has several great songs. Burmanda uses only three singers here for 10 songs; Geeta, Shamshad, and Kishore. Incidentally, this is the only movie in which Kishoreda lip synched for Raj Kapoor.

There are several good songs here. I love the way Geetaji sang "Aa Gayi Re". The way she streches the word "Gayi" as "Gayiiiiii ..." is absolutely heart stealing. When a song needed a "lift" or "oomph", I don't believe anyone even comes close to Geetaji. Also I love the way she starts and ends the song with humming "Bum Bum ...". Just love it. Unfortunately, qaulity of this song is a notch below average.

There are some more songs with so so average quality. "Jalti Hai Duniya-1" and "Mohabbat Ka Chhota" are these songs. Rest of the songs have pretty good quality. These songs came from various sources including the Forum members. Thank you. Also, it seems like I am missing a song by Geetaji. Details are shown in red italics in the table below. If anyone of you have it, please kindly share. Thanks.

Now for the songs ...

SP,

I think, you have uploaded all songs in this album, with no songs missing. 'Chup chup' are starting words for 'aagayi re' song.

Exon
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jan 17 2010, 10:34 AM
Post #418

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(Exon @ Jan 14 2010, 03:05 PM) *

I believe there is one more version song by Geeta Dutt, 'chali dulhaniya'; I only have Asha's version.

There is one more Asha song in this album, 'pehale tum yaad aa rahe'. The audio with me is quite noisy.

Exon

Thanks Exon. Why don't you go ahead and upload them. Someone may still like to hear these songs anyway. Cheers. -S

+Quote Post
Exon
post Jan 17 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #419

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(swarapriya @ Jan 17 2010, 10:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Exon @ Jan 14 2010, 03:05 PM) *

Exon

Thanks Exon. Why don't you go ahead and upload them. Someone may still like to hear these songs anyway. Cheers. -S

Parineeta (1953)

Asha Bhosle:
tum yaad aa rahe, kaun mere dil ko (3:14 \ 128)

The song audio originated from HF member.

Exon
+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jan 18 2010, 01:06 AM
Post #420

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

Thanks for sharing the song, Exon. Cheers. -S

+Quote Post
swarapriya
post Jan 19 2010, 06:03 AM
Post #421

Dedicated Member
Group Icon

(Madhubala) Saqi (1952)

Here is a nice album from C. Ramchandra. Apart from all the songs from this album, I am uploading a whole bunch of music clips from this album in the second posting. Here are the songs in the first posting ...

This post has been edited by swarapriya: Jan 19 2010, 06:07 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

64 Pages V « < 27 28 29 30 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version | Disclaimer | HF Guidelines | Be An Angel Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:35 PM